Thread: Quick Q & A with Damon "Snacks" Harrison

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Quick Q & A with Damon "Snacks" Harrison

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
    on June 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM, updated June 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM

We continue our summer Q and A series with Jets defensive tackle Damon “Snacks” Harrison. Last year, he was the last man on the roster following cut-down day but has now made a name for himself within the organization. He hopes to parse a crowded depth chart again this summer and continue living an NFL dream that got him out of a job at Wal-Mart.

How do you feel like you’ve done through minicamp?

I learned a lot from last year, and I’m being told that from some of the older guys and coaches. I like to talk to the offensive linemen to see if I improved and from what I’ve heard from everyone else so far I’m doing well.

Who do you talk to?

I talk to Brick a lot, and last year it was a lot of Brandon Moore, since we lined up over each other a lot. This year it’s been D’Brickashaw and Willie (Colon). He wasn’t around last year but this year he’s given me a lot of credit and is talking to the other guys about me.

Your story is amazing. You used to stock cat and dog food at Wal-Mart. You survived a natural disaster in New Orleans and now you’re here. Can you wrap your head around that? How good does it feel to be here?

Just now having that year under my belt, and knowing what the coaches expect out of you and learning how to be a pro, it gives you that sense of security. Like, if you do this right, it wouldn’t be a problem. I wouldn’t say I’m comfortable this year, but I know what to do in order to be successful.

Who is going to surprise everyone this year?

Muhammad is a given. I think it should be a big year for Kenrick. He’s starting to get everything now, and you can see it in his play.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._harrison.html

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope what he says about Ellis is true. We need him to step up to solidify a dominant d line.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, you have to be real excited about this young defense. An with Rex as it's designer it could get real scary for opposing offenses.
    If we can just get a half way decent offense this year, that allow the defense to stay of the field for stretches and stay fresh, watch out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loved to hear that little snippet about Kenrick.

D should be scary this year. Like was said if the O can be competent and control the clock, we should be competitive in all games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hoping he can go get his goddam snack on this fall...so glad we signed this munching beast!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Who is going to surprise everyone this year?

Muhammad is a given. I think it should be a big year for Kenrick. He’s starting to get everything now, and you can see it in his play.

... may it please be true!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's often said that the NT positions takes till the third year to grow into - I guess partly to get up to strength, but also to get the assignments and responsibilities totally buckled down. Hopefully this will hold true for Ellis.

It's also partly why I'm tempering my expectations for Richardson this year. I know he's a different type of player to Ellis, and was drafted much higher, but I think there'll still be a big learning curve for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    It's often said that the NT positions takes till the third year to grow into - I guess partly to get up to strength, but also to get the assignments and responsibilities totally buckled down. Hopefully this will hold true for Ellis.

It's also partly why I'm tempering my expectations for Richardson this year. I know he's a different type of player to Ellis, and was drafted much higher, but I think there'll still be a big learning curve for him.
    I pretty much agree with all of this but even if Richardson takes a while to fully get it at this level I still think the prospects for different line combinations and overall rotational consistency on the DL look downright mouthwatering.

If Harrison steps up too then I think we will be as deep as I can ever remember. I think other teams will be sniffing the waiver wire or on the lookout for our practice squad moves here.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I pretty much agree with all of this but even if Richardson takes a while to fully get it at this level I still think the prospects for different line combinations and overall rotational consistency on the DL look downright mouthwatering.

If Harrison steps up too then I think we will be as deep as I can ever remember. I think other teams will be sniffing the waiver wire or on the lookout for our practice squad moves here.

... please stop talking!!! ... you are actually getting me excited about this team ...

... if somehow more of the injury question marks can stay on the field than not ...

AND

... the QB position can perform at below average instead of horrendous

nevermind ... i'm back where I need to be

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... please stop talking!!! ... you are actually getting me excited about this team ...

... if somehow more of the injury question marks can stay on the field than not ...

AND

... the QB position can perform at below average instead of horrendous

nevermind ... i'm back where I need to be
    LOL LJR... I think it is going to be a long season watching this team but the DL is number 1 on the list of things to be excited about IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL LJR... I think it is going to be a long season watching this team but the DL is number 1 on the list of things to be excited about IMO.
    If Milliner is healthy for the start of the season and stays healthy, I think the defense as a whole will be a lot of fun to watch.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear NYJets defense:

Kiiiiiiiillllllll Brady.

Love,

The fans

P.S. figuratively, not Hernandezly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    If Milliner is healthy for the start of the season and stays healthy, I think the defense as a whole will be a lot of fun to watch.
    Agreed Arod. If Milliner comes in and kicks it then that may even give an incentive to Kyle Wilson to finally play like a first round pick. If the DL and secondary BOTH play at the levels we hope then this might be a fun year the same way that watching Matt Harvey is a riveting event even for a Yankees fan.

I think we need to remember that Darrelle Revis was a freak from game 1 and I think it might be a reach to think that Milliner can come in and do something like that. Back in the day I remember Aaron Glenn being pretty good his rookie year but nothing even remotely like Revis in his rookie year.

For years now the Jets secondary has provided some cover for a very anemic pass rush and/or a sometimes porous run defense. Perhaps now things flip a bit and the secondary begins to get the benefits of a deep defensive line rotation and a pass rush which gets home quickly and often.

If those things happen, well then we would be talking I think.

LBs are still iffy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you think it will be a long season?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Why do you think it will be a long season?
    Because I have a dim view of our offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis was good his rookie year, but not great, he was great in 09 during Rex's rookie year, that's when he had the best season by a corner that I can remember.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because I have a dim view of our offense.
    Well if mark Sanchez is starting then yes, things will be pretty bad. But what if sanchez is benched and geno is starting in his place, what's your outlook then?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Well if mark Sanchez is starting then yes, things will be pretty bad. But what if sanchez is benched and geno is starting in his place, what's your outlook then?
    Then if things start to go bad, we'll have no one coming off the bench to be excited for at QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post

Ellis already looked really good at times last year. Seems that conditioning played a part, because he would start strong, and then in the 2nd half he seemed to start peeking in the backfield. I think that's the hardest thi9ng for NTs to get in the NFL. You have to learn to keep your head down, and just read the blockers, and trust your technique. If Snacks can fill Pouha's role, then Kendrick can play side by side on rushing downs, and Ellis take the nose on passing downs. Wilkerson demanding double teams at LE, Then we can have Richardson penetrate at RE/DT depending on the alignment, and Coples should be one on one with a tackle, or a TE. With LTs becoming more and more athletically breed to stop speed rushers, Coples could be the new breed of bullrushing, inside technique edge rushers, designed to take a more direct route to the QB. It'll be tough for Brady to throw those short crossing routes with all these huge lineman penetrating right up the middle. We could blitz Barnes on the other side, with Coples penetrating, or falling back and just read the QB, get his arms up, or knock the slot receivers down at the line, and then get his hands up. With all this size/speed up front, the smaller quicker LBs should be free to flow, and make plays untouched. As opposed to the last couple years with Pettine running things, Rex should have a lot of versatile players to get creative with. DB blitzes will have devastating effect as well, now that we don't need them, and they cannot be anticipated. Should be fun to watch. Can't wait to see it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed Arod. If Milliner comes in and kicks it then that may even give an incentive to Kyle Wilson to finally play like a first round pick. If the DL and secondary BOTH play at the levels we hope then this might be a fun year the same way that watching Matt Harvey is a riveting event even for a Yankees fan.

I think we need to remember that Darrelle Revis was a freak from game 1 and I think it might be a reach to think that Milliner can come in and do something like that. Back in the day I remember Aaron Glenn being pretty good his rookie year but nothing even remotely like Revis in his rookie year.

For years now the Jets secondary has provided some cover for a very anemic pass rush and/or a sometimes porous run defense. Perhaps now things flip a bit and the secondary begins to get the benefits of a deep defensive line rotation and a pass rush which gets home quickly and often.

If those things happen, well then we would be talking I think.

LBs are still iffy.
    Milliner doesn't have to play like Revis in year one, Milliner just needs to be a healthy Milliner and I think he'll be fine.

Demario Davis, Antwan Barnes, Ricky Sapp, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Josh Mauga, Garrett McIntyre - I think our LB'ing corps could be vastly improved this year - they are younger and should have more range with Davis, Sapp, McIntyre and Mauga getting more reps with Bart Scott & Bryan Thomas out of the picture now.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 07-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.