Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A good haul in a year no one thought the Jets would be active in FA...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Barnes and Colon IMO are slam dunks. Ivory could be a 1300 yard back as well. I still think we sign anther QB after final cut to back up Geno. All and all better the last few years of FA. Really this team hasn't made a lot of FA splashes in a while. Guys like LT, Mason, Stanton, Plax, Tebow, and Maybin come to mind. Not exactly in prime play makers. Out side of Landry not a lot of that. This years off season at least has guys with huge potential to be just that.
    Colon has the ability to be our starting left guard. The problem is that he has missed 36 of his last 48 games. So calling him a slam duck would be inferring that he is going to remain healthy AND be productive. that would be incredibly optimistic.

And Barnes had 9 tackles last year so he is obviously a situational pass rusher/special teamed and little else. So right now, we have Pace and Coples starting at LB. and if the Coples experiment doesn't come to fruition, than McIntyre is starting.

I know last season we did little and I wasn't trying to compare this season to that. Calling what we did a "haul" is a huge reach. What we did was go to the thrift store and buy a bunch of individual pieces of a business suit. In the end, it may work, but the probability is that it's going to look like sh!t. Nobody's fault, at least no one on the current payroll.

As far as Ivory is concerned, I see his potential. But there were reasons that the Saints spent so many assets on the RB position the last few seasons. Ivory is an angry back that due to his running style, he gets nicked up. Kind of like Greene, though Ivory has more physical ability.

Biggest haul and people over look this a real offensive coordinator. This guy is going to make us dangerous on offense

Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Biggest haul and people over look this a real offensive coordinator. This guy is going to make us dangerous on offense
    Slow your roll, lol. Let's wait until we see some results before calling our offense "dangerous".

Jets Insider VIP
    LAST years offense was dangerous...
    To angry overweight fans like me...
    Heart attack stroke, brain aneurysm, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Really? If I am a SOJF, then you are either delusional or just a casual fan.

Anybody who followed this offseason knew we didn't have the money to bring in a legitimate back up QB. We signed the cheapest option out there, and one that did not work.

The reason we have gaping holes at TE, WR, and safety is because we have no $ to sign anyone over vet minimum. Unless you think that Bush or Allen showed enough in the three games they were on the active roster last season warranted them a starting spot.

And at WR, the only guy we bring in is Obamanu. Do you think that is because Holmes is healthy, Hill will stay healthy? Or he was the only guy we could afford.

Go to jetscap.com. next year we will be fine. This year we lost 6 starters on defense and replaced them with 5 back ups and 2 draft picks.

A team with an offense that is statistically as bad as ours, makes whole sale changes. We essentially did nothing aside of adding day two and three draft picks to the mix. Anyone who knows anything about how a team is built and the salary cap, knows the Jets did not do this by choice.

Every single guy we brought in has question marks. Colon - hasn't been healthy in 3 seasons. Garay injured a lot of the last two. Barnes is a shell of the Barnes we wanted 3 seasons ago. Landry was possibly the best signing, not because he is anything special, but because we have nothing at the safety spot. Peterman was statistically one of the worst guards in the league last year.

We did not sign anyone who will be on our roster opening day 2014 other than maybe Goodson. Filling the gap u til we can rebuild in 2014.
    Thank you for proving my point.

Go back to the pats board you came from.

All Pro
    Really. Bell, Landry, Revis, DeVito, Pouha, and Scott were the best players on our team at their positions last year. Say what you want but our CS played them because the younger guys were either not ready or not as good.

And the "lost 6 starters was in response to the oh so intelligent post that claimed we have plenty of cap space. Any team with cap space brings in legitimate competition and does not just bring in guys that are a injury tweak away from retirement.

Everyone is so quick to say out with the old. What has Davis proven yet? Ellis? Anyone on this board think we upgraded either one of the safety positions?

I guess DeVito, Bell, and Landry all sucked too, right? If anyone can show me another team that replaces 7 starters with 2 draft picks and 5 back ups and still fields a top defense, please educate me.

And if everyone else is convinced that we have a major coup in free agency than the groupthink on here is hilarious.
    Devito has never been a starter. Pouha, Bell, and Scott, have nothing left. We didn't "lose" them. We traded Revis. We lost one starter, and that was Landry. We would have lost him no matter how much cap space we had. Irresponsible to pay him what he got. He's highly overrated. Big hits, but lots of missed tackles, and penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Lol @ the sunshine crew bashing and calling people SOJFs once again. All he was saying was that we were strapped for cash and that Idzik made the best dinner he could on five bucks. He's not saying those guys suck, but you homers bash him for not putting them in the HoF.

We'll be FA players next year when we have money for Idzik to work with. We weren't in that situation this year and so we had to go for cheap options and hope they play well. ****ing ignorant koolaid drinkers.
    Again, what is this terrible financial situation that everybody is talking about?

You should all snuggle up with your Brady jerseys, get lost and leave the real fans to discuss the team. Don't need any closet pat fans dispersing their SOJF drivel and giving up on the season before it begins.

All Pro
    I wouldn't say dangerous, but it will be nice to see a well organized plan of attack, based on the the strengths of the players we have, for a change. If Geno can't win the QB competition, then I think we'll see a lot of running.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Garay, Barnes, Landry, Goodson, Ivory, Obomanu, Colon, Peterman and Winslow. That's nine off the top of my head and all nine are reasonably young with considerable upside, some coming off injuries and some just coming into their own, for the money we threw at them you can't go wrong. Not a single one of these guys is costing us much.

Add the draft picks and the UDFA's and all of a sudden the Jets are not so depleted and so depthless as some in the media claim, but it gets even better, next year the Jets will be minimum 26 million under the cap and will have another full allotment of draft picks, next year I think we can make a real run.
    The media are not alone in dumping on the Jets! Our own Doom and Gloom Chorus Line joins right in every year with their gloomy predictions of failure.

I think Idzik did a remarkable job with a few dollars. This team can be much more competitive then what the all-knowing Chorus Line believes.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Again, what is this terrible financial situation that everybody is talking about?

You should all snuggle up with your Brady jerseys, get lost and leave the real fans to discuss the team. Don't need any closet pat fans dispersing their SOJF drivel and giving up on the season before it begins.
    Well we did fire our GM and trade our franchise player, Revis. Clearly one of the reasons Tanny was fired was b.c of the cap situation and contracts. And money was a huge factor in trading Revis, something I was in favor of doing but that doesn't change the facts.

"Cap hell" is a subjective term so I am not going to argue that. I think everyone could agree that we were in pretty bad shape for 2013 but the good news is that it is only short term.

As for this year's FA haul, every single one of them has question marks, mostly relating to health. There is a reason why none of them got long-term deals. We will see how it plays out but we are going to need a lot of things to break right in order to have success this season. Rookie QB. Young players sprinkled all over the offense and defense. There will be a learning curve, can't expect them to excel from Day One. And we also need these FAs to overcome some of the things that have plagued them. Just by putting on a Jet uniform is not going to change the fact that some of these guys are always hurt. Although we did get Landry to play a full year.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Well we did fire our GM and trade our franchise player, Revis. Clearly one of the reasons Tanny was fired was b.c of the cap situation and contracts. And money was a huge factor in trading Revis, something I was in favor of doing but that doesn't change the facts.

"Cap hell" is a subjective term so I am not going to argue that. I think everyone could agree that we were in pretty bad shape for 2013 but the good news is that it is only short term.

As for this year's FA haul, every single one of them has question marks, mostly relating to health. There is a reason why none of them got long-term deals. We will see how it plays out but we are going to need a lot of things to break right in order to have success this season. Rookie QB. Young players sprinkled all over the offense and defense. There will be a learning curve, can't expect them to excel from Day One. And we also need these FAs to overcome some of the things that have plagued them. Just by putting on a Jet uniform is not going to change the fact that some of these guys are always hurt. Although we did get Landry to play a full year.
    Health is #1 concern, but, if they do stay healthy, everyone of these guys are playing for their NFL lives & the paycheck that comes with it. Motivation is a huge factor in the NFL.
    Also the Tebow circus has left town, nothing the press does to Sanchez going forward could be any worse than what the fans have said.
    50% of the 2013 Jets will be out to prove they still have it when the teams salary cap expands in 2014.
    Rex will have this defense ready because he's also coaching for his job. Marty is out to prove he comes as advertised similar to Rex in that he has proven success & top 10 offenses.
    I am 100% sure that this team will play like their hair is on fire, and that's all I can ask for. Funny how some fans see the NFL.
    There are no dynasties in the NFL.
    Are there very good teams ?, sure, Niners, Hawks, I don't even put the Pats near them right now.
    Throw everyone else in a hat & the teams that get decent QB play & avoid injuries can compete & win any game.
    Personally, I think there are some Olines getting weaker, I like the matchups with our all of sudden younger deeper Dline.

Lol, the sunshine crew is a funny bunch.

Reasonable fan: "Well, we weren't in a great situation, but our GM did his best with what he had. We should be in good shape going forward, though."
    Sunshiner: "WHY AREN'T YOU CALLING US AMAZING!?!? BURN THIS EVIL SOJF! SOJF! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

Sadly, that's typical for the sunshine crew.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Slow your roll, lol. Let's wait until we see some results before calling our offense "dangerous".
    I agree way too early to be overly optimistic however it seems being pessimistic is always in style for some before anyone even see's the new additions in action..

Smile Two sides.

On the one side: SOJF (negative person who spins things as realistic why success is not attainable)
    On the other side: New breed (positive person who prefers to find reasons to find an opportunity to succeed)

Who do you want on your team? Who are you in life? We need more positive people. I'm getting old. I choose not to join SOJF. (As so many have). I choose to be a season ticket holder. I choose to cheer. Good luck Jets. (At least we can all agree the Jets wil need it.)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Typical SOJF response.

Also, our salary cap situation isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.
    "Isn't" is probably true. "Wasn't"....I don't know about. It was a pretty dire situation.

We'll see about these guys. A lot of question marks but definitely a lot of upside. Mostly moot though. Our teams fortunes will rise and fall with our QB play, whoever it ends up being. And as that's probably the most unsettled spot in the league, can't be too optimistic. But, I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised. And if its simply a growing year for Geno, Im ok with that.

All League
    Thank you for proving my point.

Go back to the pats board you came from.
    Dude- I have been on this site since day 1. What are you 10? I did sports radio for a military base during the Kotite years. I have at least 25 jerseys dating back to Kenny O and Al Toon.

GFY.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Devito has never been a starter. Pouha, Bell, and Scott, have nothing left. We didn't "lose" them. We traded Revis. We lost one starter, and that was Landry. We would have lost him no matter how much cap space we had. Irresponsible to pay him what he got. He's highly overrated. Big hits, but lots of missed tackles, and penalties.
    DeVito started 15 games in 2012, 11 in 2011, and 11 in 2010. So saying he was never a starter is statistically incorrect. We're you saying that meaning he was not good enough to be a starter, because that might make a little more sense. But we did have a pretty good defense in 2010 that he as part of. And KC would disagree with you.

I'm not arguing the fact that Pace, Thomas, and Pouha needed to be upgraded. The problem is that we lost so many bodies on defense that it will take its toll. Whose the on the field leader? A lot of people under estimated the impact of all the veteran leadership weve lost over the past several seasons.

Dude- I have been on this site since day 1. What are you 10? I did sports radio for a military base during the Kotite years. I have at least 25 jerseys dating back to Kenny O and Al Toon.

GFY.
    Didn't you know? If you don't blindly support every move and are even the slightest bit pessimistic about anything to do with the team, then you're not a real fan. You MUST have Sanchez' cock in your mouth at all times while proclaiming every practice squad guy as a future HoFer.

#sunshinecrew

All League
    I understand both sides of the argument. The "sunshine crew" loves every player and thinks we should have 22 Pro Bowlers on this team.

The SOJF would be the one bashing Idzik, cursing Sanchez and Geno Smith.

We all fall in the middle on this I'm sure. I think Idzik has done a hell of a job picking up these vets with the pennies he had to work with. I am skeptical that all of these players will work out. The most important one that he signed, Garrard, did not.

However, I'm not sure if it was his top priority or if the draft just played out like it, but I like the additions of Winters and Aboushi. My hope is that by 2014, we have no question marks on our OL.

We are counting on several young players on defense to play major roles. Milliner, Richardson, Coples, Davis, Ellis, and the competition between two very late round safeties will be either playing as rookies or assuming much bigger roles. All are a crapshoot. I am hopeful, even optimistic. But anyone saying that our defense is automatically going to be in Beast mode doesn't understand everything that has to happen for that to occur.

And that's on the side of the ball none of us is really worried about.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
    On the one side: SOJF (negative person who spins things as realistic why success is not attainable)
    On the other side: New breed (positive person who prefers to find reasons to find an opportunity to succeed)

Who do you want on your team? Who are you in life? We need more positive people. I'm getting old. I choose not to join SOJF. (As so many have). I choose to be a season ticket holder. I choose to cheer. Good luck Jets. (At least we can all agree the Jets wil need it.)
    I dont agree here. Same old jet fan is realistic while the new breed is delusional.