Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 130

Thread: A good haul in a year no one thought the Jets would be active in FA...

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Didn't you know? If you don't blindly support every move and are even the slightest bit pessimistic about anything to do with the team, then you're not a real fan. You MUST have Sanchez' cock in your mouth at all times while proclaiming every practice squad guy as a future HoFer.

    #sunshinecrew
    Now I've read that the Sapp guy is going to turn heads this year. Oh wait, that was 2 years ago.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    It's A haul. not really a good one. A lot - and I do mean a lot - of we'll see's in there.
    +1 I agree with this.

    I think the draft was a major haul, but not FA. A lot of question marks given their injury histories. We may lose many, if not all of those players to injury during the season.

    If this works out, it will be because everything went perfectly in the Jets favor. NO significant injuries, the defense surprises and is top 5, the offense makes a major turnaround (I do not believe that), and the ST is WAY better than last season. I don't see that happening. I think the Jets are 5-11, MAYBE 6-10 and a top ten pick.

  3. #43
    Agree about the draft. Best CB, top QB, top DT, solid FB, stocked up on OL and got a top guy in Winters.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I dont agree here. Same old jet fan is realistic while the new breed is delusional.
    Realistic is a cheap justification used by SOJF to cover up for their blind pessimism. Call anything realistic and you can get away with it.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    +1 I agree with this.

    I think the draft was a major haul, but not FA. A lot of question marks given their injury histories. We may lose many, if not all of those players to injury during the season.

    If this works out, it will be because everything went perfectly in the Jets favor. NO significant injuries, the defense surprises and is top 5, the offense makes a major turnaround (I do not believe that), and the ST is WAY better than last season. I don't see that happening. I think the Jets are 5-11, MAYBE 6-10 and a top ten pick.
    Give me a break. If we get anything resembling average qb play, the jets win 7-8 games, at minimum. Geno will start at some point in the season and give us that, I'm sure.

  6. #46
    When it comes to free agents the reason many of them underperform is due to motivation - they have heir big contract, are often set financially, and football is a sport where the Difference between doing 80% vs 100% makes a huge difference.

    The reason I like a lot of our free agents and this team as a whole is that our roster is FULL of guys with something to prove. A guy like colon is essentially playing 2013 for $15-20 million - meaning he will either wind up having the inury prone lable entrenched and be a "journeyman" or he will have a great seasons and get a $3 million + a year.

    Then there are guys like ivory who have been waiting their whole career for a shot, Goodson who could easily be out of the league with a bad season and his off the field stuff, and Powell and McKnight playing for a roster spot and carries.

    Defensively Kenrick is finally getting his shot, Sapp is playing for his career, and our young studs either have a chip on their shoulder (couples), playing for a superstar contract (wilk) or proving they belong (Richardson).
    Even cro is playing for a possible contract while Wilson needs to get a good year on tape so he can get a multi year deal when his contract is up.

    All this with a HC who has nothing to lose.

    I know we don't have superstars nor do we have the mile wallaces of FA, but I like the makeup of the team and think its going to be a hungry group.

  7. #47
    Decent haul but we need to sign Braylon Edwards and can probably use Brandon Moore too. Both are available and cheap. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Colon can survive a 16 game schedule.

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Decent haul but we need to sign Braylon Edwards and can probably use Brandon Moore too. Both are available and cheap. You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Colon can survive a 16 game schedule.
    Ivory, while not a FA, will be the steal of the year. He's not as injury prone as people suggest. I think NO left him on IR, and the PUP, just to hide him a lot. Winslow will be our best FA. His injury history is also misleading. He's in pain, but it's just a matter of motivation for him to play with it. He seems to want to do that now. If he does, he's a top 10 TE. Colon had two completely unrelated injuries. He wasn't injury prone before that. You can make a case that he would be more unlikely to be injured based on how bad of luck, a third, would be. If those three players stay healthy, for the money we paid them, then you can consider it a haul. These are three of the most talented players available this year, for next to nothing.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Really? If I am a SOJF, then you are either delusional or just a casual fan.

    Anybody who followed this offseason knew we didn't have the money to bring in a legitimate back up QB. We signed the cheapest option out there, and one that did not work.

    The reason we have gaping holes at TE, WR, and safety is because we have no $ to sign anyone over vet minimum. Unless you think that Bush or Allen showed enough in the three games they were on the active roster last season warranted them a starting spot.

    And at WR, the only guy we bring in is Obamanu. Do you think that is because Holmes is healthy, Hill will stay healthy? Or he was the only guy we could afford.

    Go to jetscap.com. next year we will be fine. This year we lost 6 starters on defense and replaced them with 5 back ups and 2 draft picks.

    A team with an offense that is statistically as bad as ours, makes whole sale changes. We essentially did nothing aside of adding day two and three draft picks to the mix. Anyone who knows anything about how a team is built and the salary cap, knows the Jets did not do this by choice.

    Every single guy we brought in has question marks. Colon - hasn't been healthy in 3 seasons. Garay injured a lot of the last two. Barnes is a shell of the Barnes we wanted 3 seasons ago. Landry was possibly the best signing, not because he is anything special, but because we have nothing at the safety spot. Peterman was statistically one of the worst guards in the league last year.


    We did not sign anyone who will be on our roster opening day 2014 other than maybe Goodson. Filling the gap u til we can rebuild in 2014.
    You bashed every move the Jets made just about. Get a LIFE and a new team Dude!!! I can see bashing the uniform but all the moves suck.. Ur Crazy!!!

  10. #50
    I love the arguments that we "lost 6 starters on defense".

    3 of those players (Bart, Eric Smith and Bryan Thomas) Are not even in the league - do they really represent a loss? Absolutely not - we held them
    too long and the speed we will now have will be an upgrade notated what "veteran saviness" we lost.

    As much as I respect devito he is far from
    Irreplaceable. We lost 1 meaningful player on defense, Revis, who will hopefully be "replaced" by a better collective team effort.

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I love the arguments that we "lost 6 starters on defense".

    3 of those players (Bart, Eric Smith and Bryan Thomas) Are not even in the league - do they really represent a loss? Absolutely not - we held them
    too long and the speed we will now have will be an upgrade notated what "veteran saviness" we lost.

    As much as I respect devito he is far from
    Irreplaceable. We lost 1 meaningful player on defense, Revis, who will hopefully be "replaced" by a better collective team effort.
    Really we chose not to pay Revis, or Landry the outrageous amounts that they got. We didn't lose them. Revis didn't even play last year. Notice that the same people complaining about losing all of these "starters", are the same people that bust Rex for starting "his" players, instead of playing the young guys. They're really pathetic, and transparent.

  12. #52
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Really we chose not to pay Revis, or Landry the outrageous amounts that they got. We didn't lose them. Revis didn't even play last year. Notice that the same people complaining about losing all of these "starters", are the same people that bust Rex for starting "his" players, instead of playing the young guys. They're really pathetic, and transparent.
    When you say "chose not to pay" what you mean is we could not afford to pay. At least in 2013. If Rex and Idzik had their choice, both Revis and Landry (the good one) would be NY Jets right now. Landry at 50% is better than Allen and Bush right now and possibly ever.

    Our cap WAS a mess and now that we have cleared a ton of salaries we will have an opportunity to bring in legitimate players in 2014. I really don't understand the Kool-aid brigade's stance on all of this. It's comical how everyone keeps claiming that "every player we lost sucked and we have upgraded every position" bull crap.

    Do you guys sell used cars for living?

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Thank you for proving my point.

    Go back to the pats board you came from.
    You have no point whatsoever. Everything in that post is 110% correct. If you don't believe the salary cap situation hampered our ability to sign the free agents we wanted and that this group of players isn't RIDDLED with unproven question marks then you are blind and completely delusional.

    For the record, I like the haul. However, not believing this team is filled with hidden "gems" and tempering your expectations in order to realistically predict the outcome of the upcoming season doesn't make you a pats fan. So you can step down off your high horse and STFU.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 07-06-2013 at 05:54 PM.

  14. #54
    [QUOTE=pcola;4923040]When you say "chose not to pay" what you mean is we could not afford to pay. At least in 2013. If Rex and Idzik had their choice, both Revis and Landry (the good one) would be NY Jets right now. Landry at 50% is better than Allen and Bush right now and possibly ever.

    Our cap WAS a mess and now that we have cleared a ton of salaries we will have an opportunity to bring in legitimate players in 2014. I really don't understand the Kool-aid brigade's stance on all of this. It's comical how everyone keeps claiming that "every player we lost sucked and we have upgraded every position" bull crap.

    Do you guys sell used cars for living?[/QUOTE]

    GET KICKIN ROCKS bc no1 is buying what ur selling..

  15. #55
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    When you say "chose not to pay" what you mean is we could not afford to pay. At least in 2013. If Rex and Idzik had their choice, both Revis and Landry (the good one) would be NY Jets right now. Landry at 50% is better than Allen and Bush right now and possibly ever.

    Our cap WAS a mess and now that we have cleared a ton of salaries we will have an opportunity to bring in legitimate players in 2014. I really don't understand the Kool-aid brigade's stance on all of this. It's comical how everyone keeps claiming that "every player we lost sucked and we have upgraded every position" bull crap.

    Do you guys sell used cars for living?
    Do you realize that it cost us cap space to trade Revis? If you don't then maybe you should listen more, and talk less. We could have given extensions to both of those players, and deferred the money, but they each got paid way more than they're worth. Is that easier for you to understand now?

  16. #56
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,598
    In my opinion, the biggest thing the Jets did this off-season was bolster the O-Line with a couple of Free agents & draft picks.

    This is something I have been griping about for the previous two off-seasons and Idzik was the man to come in and finally do something about it.

    Whoever is behind center for the Jets should at least have a fighting chance and I think the running game will improve as well - in part because of the additions of Goodson & Ivory and in part because of the improved O-Line.

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,511
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    In my opinion, the biggest thing the Jets did this off-season was bolster the O-Line with a couple of Free agents & draft picks.

    This is something I have been griping about for the previous two off-seasons and Idzik was the man to come in and finally do something about it.

    Whoever is behind center for the Jets should at least have a fighting chance and I think the running game will improve as well - in part because of the additions of Goodson & Ivory and in part because of the improved O-Line.
    I think Peterman was brought in for depth. Not to start. I think he has talent, but terrible technique. As he's gotten older he can't make up for it with brute strength. Still a great run blocker though.

    No one seems to mention that Colon was a pretty damn good tackle, so if Someone gets hurt, I'd guess Colon moves outside. Colon started every game from 2006 to 2009. He had an Achilles tear working out in the off season in 2010, then a triceps tear in game one of 2011. Freak injuries couldn't be more unrelated. He switched to guard last year. Maybe he lost some lateral movement from the achilles. He was cheap shot in the knee by Suggs in week 11, but he was playing well at that point. I'm not sure how these injuries are related. His achilles, and his triceps, were fine all year. The knee had nothing to do with bad tendons, or muscles.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Ivory, while not a FA, will be the steal of the year. He's not as injury prone as people suggest. I think NO left him on IR, and the PUP, just to hide him a lot. Winslow will be our best FA. His injury history is also misleading. He's in pain, but it's just a matter of motivation for him to play with it. He seems to want to do that now. If he does, he's a top 10 TE. Colon had two completely unrelated injuries. He wasn't injury prone before that. You can make a case that he would be more unlikely to be injured based on how bad of luck, a third, would be. If those three players stay healthy, for the money we paid them, then you can consider it a haul. These are three of the most talented players available this year, for next to nothing.
    Colon last year knew he'd have a hard time getting a new contract and did the right thing. He is back and healthy for this year on a one year deal with a team that will have the money to reward him greatly after he has a ful year. IMO he is a better player then anyone we had last year. Pro bowl caliber and is in his prime still. Scream health yeah but I dont think he is a glass player.

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tn via Atkins, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,401
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    None of them are slam dunks. I think the RBs have the best shot of making a big impact. They will be given plenty of opportunities with a young QB.
    Still calling Sanchez a young QB are we. Oh, wait, you got Geno getting to start. Sorry... my bad.

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,341
    I really like what Idzik did this offseason, between FA, the draft, and the jets coaching hires. If the Jets had even average QB play, they'd easily be a .500 team fighting for a playoff spot. Big If.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us