Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: A good haul in a year no one thought the Jets would be active in FA...

Players like Colon, Garay, and Landry are serviceable. Not exactly plus players.
    Barnes is a wild card, not exactly proven coming off injury. Same for Kellen Winslow.

Among Goodson and Ivory, we just need one to really pan out.

All League
    I will admit I may have taken the title of this thread a little too literal. That doesnt make me a SOJF. Over the last 10+ years of posting on this board, I have been more positive and complimentary than not. I have defended players that probably didn't deserve it and defended the many excuses that prevented us from the type of success we all wanted.

I been a little more negative lately because I think the team warrants it. Maybe I was "spoiled" with the playoffs in 01, 02, 04, 06, 09, and 10.

If Rex can't work a miracle this season, and if Sanchez doesn't become the second coming of Vinny Testaverde, then the Jets are going to miss the playoffs for the third year in a row.

The last time that happened, Kotite was the HC for 2 of the 3 seasons. That's not my opinion, that's a fact.

Practice Squad
    I smell fear! Some Jet fans simply have a fear of believing in the team after 2 poor seasons. On careful examination of the roster and moves made, I think it's not too hard to be positive about the Jets this season. With the worst QB play of his career and an AWFUL OC in Sparano, this team still won 6 games and clearly could've won more with even decent QB play.

Now we have improved OL, DL, RB and a lot of good depth. We don't have great TE or WR but it's not terrible. With some good health at those spots this team will be at least average IMO. I think there's a better focus from Rex on the D and a huge improvement on O with MM taking over. I think this team is at worst 8-8 and could easily win more. Is that really out of bounds when they won 6 last year and have made significant improvements to the roster? I'm not afraid to say the experts are wrong about the Jets.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    I think this team is at worst 8-8 and could easily win more. Is that really out of bounds when they won 6 last year and have made significant improvements to the roster? I'm not afraid to say the experts are wrong about the Jets.
    Hope you are correct ... Sparano was horrible ... If we can lay a nice chunk of Sanchez's poor play at his feet ... AND ... Marty M can somehow even return mark to '09 - '10 performance ... Then the door can open a crack

WR is still very shaky with Holmes an injury ? & Hill having butter on his hands ... If Santonio can return to his old self we will have a solid #1 WR ... Kerley is a good 3 in the slot

Schedule is more difficult this year though

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    I smell fear! Some Jet fans simply have a fear of believing in the team after 2 poor seasons. On careful examination of the roster and moves made, I think it's not too hard to be positive about the Jets this season. With the worst QB play of his career and an AWFUL OC in Sparano, this team still won 6 games and clearly could've won more with even decent QB play.

Now we have improved OL, DL, RB and a lot of good depth. We don't have great TE or WR but it's not terrible. With some good health at those spots this team will be at least average IMO. I think there's a better focus from Rex on the D and a huge improvement on O with MM taking over. I think this team is at worst 8-8 and could easily win more. Is that really out of bounds when they won 6 last year and have made significant improvements to the roster? I'm not afraid to say the experts are wrong about the Jets.
    You say significant improvements but I don't see it. I love our draft as a whole. I really think we have 4 starters opening day. I also love the selection of Marty M as OC. But I just don't see any "slam dunk" improvements on offense, anywhere. If Colon stays healthy and Winters is as good as we think, then the OL will be improved.

But then you have the QB issue. Then the possibility that Kerley will be our #1 WR with Holmes and Hill injury issues. Could we win 8 games. Absolutely. I just think we have to have A LOT go right right for us and be very lucky at the same time.

Rex and Marty will have their toughest coaching job of their careers.

Some people can't be happy unless Braylon Edwards is signed.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    You say significant improvements but I don't see it. I love our draft as a whole. I really think we have 4 starters opening day. I also love the selection of Marty M as OC. But I just don't see any "slam dunk" improvements on offense, anywhere. If Colon stays healthy and Winters is as good as we think, then the OL will be improved.

But then you have the QB issue. Then the possibility that Kerley will be our #1 WR with Holmes and Hill injury issues. Could we win 8 games. Absolutely. I just think we have to have A LOT go right right for us and be very lucky at the same time.

Rex and Marty will have their toughest coaching job of their careers.
    The slam dunk improvement on offense I see as you said the signing of MM. I'm still a strong believer that we've had the worst OCs in the league, and they make a world of difference. If our defense improves we will be in almost every game this year against okay, but not many dominate teams. With a few breaks it could be 2009 all over again. Should be an interesting season nonetheless, when a few months ago it did not seem that was possible.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The slam dunk improvement on offense I see as you said the signing of MM. I'm still a strong believer that we've had the worst OCs in the league, and they make a world of difference. If our defense improves we will be in almost every game this year against okay, but not many dominate teams. With a few breaks it could be 2009 all over again. Should be an interesting season nonetheless, when a few months ago it did not seem that was possible.
    Marty was a fantastic pick up. I am excited about what he brings to the table. I do hope he is a long term solution. I am very excited about the possibility of adding some legit weapons to go with Geno in 2014 with him calling the offense.

As far as the 2009 comparison, I hope so. I do think that we will have to exhibit some kind of passing attack or we are going to see a crowded LOS.

I do think our defense will be good. I am curious to see how Coples fits at OLB and what Rex is planning for the safety spot but I think Richardson is everything we had hoped to get with DRobertson and I think Milliner reminds me of a younger Cromartie.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Some people can't be happy unless Braylon Edwards is signed.
    God forbid we have a receiver

[QUOTE=pcola;4925682]Marty was a fantastic pick up. I am excited about what he brings to the table. I do hope he is a long term solution. I am very excited about the possibility of adding some legit weapons to go with Geno in 2014 with him calling the offense.

This could be next years total priority! They will have money to burn on a big time WR or two as well as a TE. 2014 could be the beginning of a nice AFC east title run!