Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A good haul in a year no one thought the Jets would be active in FA...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

A good haul in a year no one thought the Jets would be active in FA...

Garay, Barnes, Landry, Goodson, Ivory, Obomanu, Colon, Peterman and Winslow. That's nine off the top of my head and all nine are reasonably young with considerable upside, some coming off injuries and some just coming into their own, for the money we threw at them you can't go wrong. Not a single one of these guys is costing us much.

Add the draft picks and the UDFA's and all of a sudden the Jets are not so depleted and so depthless as some in the media claim, but it gets even better, next year the Jets will be minimum 26 million under the cap and will have another full allotment of draft picks, next year I think we can make a real run.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's A haul. not really a good one. A lot - and I do mean a lot - of we'll see's in there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    It's A haul. not really a good one. A lot - and I do mean a lot - of we'll see's in there.
    Tend to agree. None of the guys we signed were looked at by anyone else.

We already struck out with Garrard. It would be an absolute miracle if Colon, Peterman, Barnes, ivory, and Landry can be productive for 12 games this season.

Not a product of Idzik preferences, but a product of a crappy salary cap situation which prevented us from signing a single slam dunk starter.

For one, we lost 6 starters on defense and are asking 5 back ups and 2 rookies to step into new roles.

Offense looks as bad or worse than last year. Geno will have to be RGIII for us to do anything this year.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Churn and Burn.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Tend to agree. None of the guys we signed were looked at by anyone else.

We already struck out with Garrard. It would be an absolute miracle if Colon, Peterman, Barnes, ivory, and Landry can be productive for 12 games this season.

Not a product of Idzik preferences, but a product of a crappy salary cap situation which prevented us from signing a single slam dunk starter.

For one, we lost 6 starters on defense and are asking 5 back ups and 2 rookies to step into new roles.

Offense looks as bad or worse than last year. Geno will have to be RGIII for us to do anything this year.
    Typical SOJF response.

Also, our salary cap situation isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Typical SOJF response.

Also, our salary cap situation isn't anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be.
    Jets are not far off from any team in the AFC east.
    If the Fins have any issues with their Oline, the Jets deep & young Dline will have a field day.
    Bills? Not many people talk about it but they have made worse FA moves & their salary cap is wrecked with Mario Williams, Stevie Johnson, they are still paying Fitzpatrick for gods sake.
    Now we get to the evil empire. Somewhere along the line two lines cross in a way that are detrimental to a team. The Patriots are getting close to that point as Brady gets a year older, & he continues to have change in personnel & the talent level continues to decline.
    I don't care what anyone says, when you change almost all of your offense there will be some hiccups.
    No Welker, no Hernandez, maybe no Gronk to begin the season, no Lloyd, no Woodhead.
    That is a huge amount of turnover.
    Now lets look at the Pats defense, Wilfork is no spring chicken & he's their best defensive player.
    Here's a team that scored tons of points & still couldn't keep their D off the field.
    If their offense slips, the D will pay the price.
    Anything can happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Typical SOJF response.

Yeah really, I especially love the ignorant response "no other team looked at any of these guys" which was complete bull****.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets are going to have a lot of new faces

Garey - DT/NT
    Milliner - CB
    Goodson - RB
    Richardson - DE
    Ivory - RB
    McDonough - DE = UDFA Yessirr!!!
    Winters - OL
    Aboushi - OT
    Peterson - OL
    Winslow - TE
    Walls - CB = UDFA
    Landry - S
    Smith - TE = AUSSIE
    Smith - QB
    Bohanon - FB
    Davis - WR = UDFA
    Stroud - WR = UDFA
    Spadola - WR = UDFA

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of them are slam dunks. I think the RBs have the best shot of making a big impact. They will be given plenty of opportunities with a young QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Typical SOJF response.

Really? If I am a SOJF, then you are either delusional or just a casual fan.

Anybody who followed this offseason knew we didn't have the money to bring in a legitimate back up QB. We signed the cheapest option out there, and one that did not work.

The reason we have gaping holes at TE, WR, and safety is because we have no $ to sign anyone over vet minimum. Unless you think that Bush or Allen showed enough in the three games they were on the active roster last season warranted them a starting spot.

And at WR, the only guy we bring in is Obamanu. Do you think that is because Holmes is healthy, Hill will stay healthy? Or he was the only guy we could afford.

Go to jetscap.com. next year we will be fine. This year we lost 6 starters on defense and replaced them with 5 back ups and 2 draft picks.

A team with an offense that is statistically as bad as ours, makes whole sale changes. We essentially did nothing aside of adding day two and three draft picks to the mix. Anyone who knows anything about how a team is built and the salary cap, knows the Jets did not do this by choice.

Every single guy we brought in has question marks. Colon - hasn't been healthy in 3 seasons. Garay injured a lot of the last two. Barnes is a shell of the Barnes we wanted 3 seasons ago. Landry was possibly the best signing, not because he is anything special, but because we have nothing at the safety spot. Peterman was statistically one of the worst guards in the league last year.

We did not sign anyone who will be on our roster opening day 2014 other than maybe Goodson. Filling the gap u til we can rebuild in 2014.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Yeah really, I especially love the ignorant response "no other team looked at any of these guys" which was complete bull****.
    Ignorant response? Ok. What free agent did we sign that can start for any other team in our division? It's the moronic delusional Jets homers on the site that crack me up. I can't wait for all the excuses that pollute this site by October. I guess then we can look back and find out who all the ignorant MFers were.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ignorant response? Ok. What free agent did we sign that can start for any other team in our division? It's the moronic delusional Jets homers on the site that crack me up. I can't wait for all the excuses that pollute this site by October. I guess then we can look back and find out who all the ignorant MFers were.
    The ignorant part is where you continue to repeat that we "lost" 6 starters on defense. That's ignorant at best. Trolling at worst, so which one of those guys do you want to be?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The ignorant part is where you continue to repeat that we "lost" 6 starters on defense. That's ignorant at best. Trolling at worst, so which one of those guys do you want to be?
    Really. Bell, Landry, Revis, DeVito, Pouha, and Scott were the best players on our team at their positions last year. Say what you want but our CS played them because the younger guys were either not ready or not as good.

And the "lost 6 starters was in response to the oh so intelligent post that claimed we have plenty of cap space. Any team with cap space brings in legitimate competition and does not just bring in guys that are a injury tweak away from retirement.

Everyone is so quick to say out with the old. What has Davis proven yet? Ellis? Anyone on this board think we upgraded either one of the safety positions?

I guess DeVito, Bell, and Landry all sucked too, right? If anyone can show me another team that replaces 7 starters with 2 draft picks and 5 back ups and still fields a top defense, please educate me.

And if everyone else is convinced that we have a major coup in free agency than the groupthink on here is hilarious.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol @ the sunshine crew bashing and calling people SOJFs once again. All he was saying was that we were strapped for cash and that Idzik made the best dinner he could on five bucks. He's not saying those guys suck, but you homers bash him for not putting them in the HoF.

We'll be FA players next year when we have money for Idzik to work with. We weren't in that situation this year and so we had to go for cheap options and hope they play well. ****ing ignorant koolaid drinkers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very appreciative of what Idzik has done so far. There's little splash outside of the fabricated drama of drafting Revis and Sanchez replacements. There's been nothing but solid and sound moves made so far. Not enough to compete for the trophy but its unfair to expect that. And again everyone with a good QB looks like a genius, eventually we need one to show up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Lol @ the sunshine crew bashing and calling people SOJFs once again. All he was saying was that we were strapped for cash and that Idzik made the best dinner he could on five bucks. He's not saying those guys suck, but you homers bash him for not putting them in the HoF.

We'll be FA players next year when we have money for Idzik to work with. We weren't in that situation this year and so we had to go for cheap options and hope they play well. ****ing ignorant koolaid drinkers.
    Finally a rational post. Some of these posters make it difficult to have a conversation with regards to anything less than the Jets winning the Super Bowl every year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry the Kool Aide Brigade will long be in hiding by then, it's this time of the year when they flex their Internet muscles.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

+1.. summertime the kool aide brigade is especially aggressive , like annoying yellow jacks when u try to eat lunch outside during the summer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    Don't worry the Kool Aide Brigade will long be in hiding by then, it's this time of the year when they flex their Internet muscles.
    You make a good point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barnes and Colon IMO are slam dunks. Ivory could be a 1300 yard back as well. I still think we sign anther QB after final cut to back up Geno. All and all better the last few years of FA. Really this team hasn't made a lot of FA splashes in a while. Guys like LT, Mason, Stanton, Plax, Tebow, and Maybin come to mind. Not exactly in prime play makers. Out side of Landry not a lot of that. This years off season at least has guys with huge potential to be just that.