Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 130

Thread: A good haul in a year no one thought the Jets would be active in FA...

  1. #61
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,173
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I dont agree here. Same old jet fan is realistic while the new breed is delusional.
    One thing is for certain, you are both a salty SOJF and give delusional a new name.

  2. #62
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I really like what Idzik did this offseason, between FA, the draft, and the jets coaching hires. If the Jets had even average QB play, they'd easily be a .500 team fighting for a playoff spot. Big If.
    Agreed, i think we have a brighter future than most people think.

  3. #63
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Warren, NJ
    Posts
    486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually like this thread, and totally get both sides of the argument, which many have detailed the pros and cons, both making very good points.

    Let's face it, this is a tough job to sort out.

    The FA's signed are low cost (there were no other options) with potential upside, but hey, they have issues...hopefully we strike gold with some, if not, they wont cost much if they even make the team.

    What I do like is that there appears to be a short term and long term plan, which I do not feel the Jets front office has had in a while.

    They seem to have stuck to their draft board, even if it was not drafting areas of need (no safety, TE, WR etc.) and have made tough decisions (trading Revis) that were inevitable (we were never paying him what he wanted).

    This offseason seems to have been handled very calculated and methodically, placing value on their picks and infusing some youth and not making any knee jerk reactions by trading picks just to make a splash. In my opinion, they made tough decisions that may or may not pan out this year but still puts them in a fiscally better place for next year where most did not think was possible.

    Who knows if it works out, but feel the front office is trying to make the team better now (given the hand they were dealt) while not sacrificing the future, which already sounds better (to me).

  4. #64
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    7,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I really like what Idzik did this offseason, between FA, the draft, and the jets coaching hires. If the Jets had even average QB play, they'd easily be a .500 team fighting for a playoff spot. Big If.
    +999999999999


    If Gerard had worked out that may have been attainable

    With Sanchez and/or an untested rookie ... It is very unlikely for 2013

    I expect QB decisions made this year to be what will give Geno the best chance for success in 2014 & beyond

  5. #65
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    7,665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvismax View Post

    Let's face it, this is a tough job to sort out

    What I do like is that there appears to be a short term and long term plan, which I do not feel the Jets front office has had in a while.


    they made tough decisions that may or may not pan out this year but still puts them in a fiscally better place for next year where most did not think was possible.


    Excellent post!

  6. #66
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    When you say "chose not to pay" what you mean is we could not afford to pay. At least in 2013. If Rex and Idzik had their choice, both Revis and Landry (the good one) would be NY Jets right now. Landry at 50% is better than Allen and Bush right now and possibly ever.

    Our cap WAS a mess and now that we have cleared a ton of salaries we will have an opportunity to bring in legitimate players in 2014. I really don't understand the Kool-aid brigade's stance on all of this. It's comical how everyone keeps claiming that "every player we lost sucked and we have upgraded every position" bull crap.

    Do you guys sell used cars for living?
    Do you clean septic tanks for a living? How about giving the guys we signed a chance to show what they can do for us before you denigrate them or try to cloud up their ability.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 07-07-2013 at 07:57 AM.

  7. #67
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Do you clean septic tanks for a living? How about giving the guys we signed a chance to show what they can do for us before you denigrate them or try to cloud up their ability.
    I never said they were garbage. I said because of the salary cap we were limited to signing guys on the cheap. Idzik did the best job he could with the limited resources he had. Every single guy we signed has a huge question mark.

    None of these guys are in the prime of their careers. In fact, all or most are on their last contract. Let's re-visit this thread when Garay and Peterman are Pro Bowlers. Hey maybe Barnes will have 109 tackles this year. That would be 100 more than last year.

    We two safeties, a 6th rounder and a 7th fighting for a starting safety spot. Neither guy was good enough in Rex's eye last year to be on the active roster more than a couple of games but surely one offseason will make the difference.

    Maybe Sanchez will make everyone else on the team better.

    Super Bowl!

  8. #68
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    6,399
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I never said they were garbage. I said because of the salary cap we were limited to signing guys on the cheap. Idzik did the best job he could with the limited resources he had. Every single guy we signed has a huge question mark.

    None of these guys are in the prime of their careers. In fact, all or most are on their last contract. Let's re-visit this thread when Garay and Peterman are Pro Bowlers. Hey maybe Barnes will have 109 tackles this year. That would be 100 more than last year.

    We two safeties, a 6th rounder and a 7th fighting for a starting safety spot. Neither guy was good enough in Rex's eye last year to be on the active roster more than a couple of games but surely one offseason will make the difference.

    Maybe Sanchez will make everyone else on the team better.

    Super Bowl!
    You said we lost 6 starters on defense, and we traded Revis because we couldn't afford to pay him this year. We need one more safety, but the off season is not over yet. Neither Barnes, Peterman, or Garay were brought here to be starters, nor paid as such. Revis was traded at a 3 million dollar cap hit this year, and signed to a long term 16mil a year contract. Laron was signed to a 6mil per year contract. Those are the only two players that will be starters for other teams this year. You're just completely wrong, but refuse to admit it. Typical.

  9. #69
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    DeVito started 15 games in 2012, 11 in 2011, and 11 in 2010. So saying he was never a starter is statistically incorrect. We're you saying that meaning he was not good enough to be a starter, because that might make a little more sense. But we did have a pretty good defense in 2010 that he as part of. And KC would disagree with you.

    I'm not arguing the fact that Pace, Thomas, and Pouha needed to be upgraded. The problem is that we lost so many bodies on defense that it will take its toll. Whose the on the field leader? A lot of people under estimated the impact of all the veteran leadership weve lost over the past several seasons.
    Though some folks might not appreciate your point of view, I am appreciative of your perspective and feel your points have value.

    I am hopeful that things turn out better than the picture you are painting (after all last year Bell was supposed to retire before the season and Landry was injury prone, yet they turned out to be more than serviceable).

    Whether I agree, or not, and whether it's pessimistic, or realistic I appreciate the arguments you make which are much more supported in fact than much of the reactive drivel (optimistic, or pessimistic) that I've read from other posters.

  10. #70
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You said we lost 6 starters on defense, and we traded Revis because we couldn't afford to pay him this year. We need one more safety, but the off season is not over yet. Neither Barnes, Peterman, or Garay were brought here to be starters, nor paid as such. Revis was traded at a 3 million dollar cap hit this year, and signed to a long term 16mil a year contract. Laron was signed to a 6mil per year contract. Those are the only two players that will be starters for other teams this year. You're just completely wrong, but refuse to admit it. Typical.
    Well the thread claims that we had a good haul in free agency this year. Kool aid drinkers and getting their panties in a wad when anyone disagrees. I don't see anyone that we signed this year on the opening day roster except MAYBE Goodson. We traded for Ivory but even if you add him to the list this couldn't possibly be a good haul unless Ivory turns into Jerome Bettis. It's possible, but it's more likely than not with the offensive cast around him, he won't be.

  11. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Do you clean septic tanks for a living? How about giving the guys we signed a chance to show what they can do for us before you denigrate them or try to cloud up their ability.
    +1

    Just another SOJF trying to replace the Sarry old King of SOJFs role which has now been voluntarily vacated.

  12. #72
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think what pcola and others here that complain are missing is that the term "a good haul" is relative. It was a good haul considering what cap space and needs we had are taken into account.

    If you want to argue then this is the starting point. So tell me you complainers, what would you have done differently to "improve the haul"?

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Really. Bell, Landry, Revis, DeVito, Pouha, and Scott were the best players on our team at their positions last year. Say what you want but our CS played them because the younger guys were either not ready or not as good.

    And the "lost 6 starters was in response to the oh so intelligent post that claimed we have plenty of cap space. Any team with cap space brings in legitimate competition and does not just bring in guys that are a injury tweak away from retirement.

    Everyone is so quick to say out with the old. What has Davis proven yet? Ellis? Anyone on this board think we upgraded either one of the safety positions?

    I guess DeVito, Bell, and Landry all sucked too, right? If anyone can show me another team that replaces 7 starters with 2 draft picks and 5 back ups and still fields a top defense, please educate me.

    And if everyone else is convinced that we have a major coup in free agency than the groupthink on here is hilarious.
    It's looking to whine when you complain that we lost a starter and whine that he needs to be replaced when its a Revis, who didn't play. Making it sound like replacing him is a priority when it isn't. Or a Bart Scott who has been ineffective for years and had to be taken off the field too often to be missed.

    Yes there are unproven players being moved up, but thats the way the game is played, its what you have to do.

    The SOJF part of the equation is to assume and find joy in telling everyone that the replacements have to be and will be worse than the players they are replacing. Because if we haven't seen them enough, they have to suck. And then if you think a younger LB just might give you even a little more than an old, injured and slow Bart Scott then you're a delusional kool aid drinking homer fan
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-07-2013 at 11:25 AM.

  14. #74
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa, not on the opening day roster? Gonna have to disagree with you there, pcola.

  15. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually stopped reading when I saw that Pepsi was whining over the loss of the THREE BEST PLAYERS AT THEIR POSITION..... DeVito, Pouha and Scott.... the only surprise is that Pepsi didn't also include Eric Smith on that last of BESTS

  16. #76
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Ivory, while not a FA, will be the steal of the year. He's not as injury prone as people suggest. I think NO left him on IR, and the PUP, just to hide him a lot. Winslow will be our best FA. His injury history is also misleading. He's in pain, but it's just a matter of motivation for him to play with it. He seems to want to do that now. If he does, he's a top 10 TE. Colon had two completely unrelated injuries. He wasn't injury prone before that. You can make a case that he would be more unlikely to be injured based on how bad of luck, a third, would be. If those three players stay healthy, for the money we paid them, then you can consider it a haul. These are three of the most talented players available this year, for next to nothing.
    I agree with you on both Ivory and Winslow I think they were both very good moves by Idzik. We still have a hole on the OL at least at 1 Guard spot. Winters is untested and Colon is ridiculously injury prone. Moore wasn't anything special his last 2 years as a Jet (pro bowl selections mean nothing in reality) but he's durable and if Colon gets injured we're going to need another Guard.


    Peterman stinks. I don't think he's even viable as a backup. He's ranked as the worst pass protecting Guard in the NFL for a reason.


    And we still need a receiver. Holmes may not even be available until week 3 or 4 and even then who knows what he is.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 07-07-2013 at 01:09 PM.

  17. #77
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I actually stopped reading when I saw that Pepsi was whining over the loss of the THREE BEST PLAYERS AT THEIR POSITION..... DeVito, Pouha and Scott.... the only surprise is that Pepsi didn't also include Eric Smith on that last of BESTS
    MAYBE you can count Pouha among the best. MAYBE. I agree with both sides of the argument but I'm ultimately happy with the guys we brought in. Would like to see one more reciever (Brandon Lloyd or someone). I just think its completely important to remember that because of financial restrictions, this group isn't ideal. I'm sure Idzik would've liked to have had the money to resign Keller or Landry along with a few bigger names. So just keep in mind that these guys are incredibly unproven.

  18. #78
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok there's a difference of opinion. I'm not the one that reverted to the childish name calling but I'm ok with it.

    The OP claimed we had a "good haul." I disagreed. I went as far to say that I would be surprised if Colon, Peterman, Garay, Barnes, and Landry will be Jets beyond 2013. To me that is not a good haul. I think I did say that Idzik did a great job with the severely limited assets he had to work with.

    I do think it's possible that Goodson and Winslow could play big roles this year but I think it's a stretch at this point of the offseason to assume it as a definite.

    I also want to say that you can be a great fan and still question things. If Idzik and Rex were having conversations with those close to them, I'm pretty sure they would mirror the so-called SOJF in their opinions. They have BOTH been part of championship teams and both are not delusional in thinking the any of the guys (free agents) they brought in this year will be long term solutions on a championship team.

    If you feel differently, good for you.

  19. #79
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Well the thread claims that we had a good haul in free agency this year. Kool aid drinkers and getting their panties in a wad when anyone disagrees. I don't see anyone that we signed this year on the opening day roster except MAYBE Goodson. We traded for Ivory but even if you add him to the list this couldn't possibly be a good haul unless Ivory turns into Jerome Bettis. It's possible, but it's more likely than not with the offensive cast around him, he won't be.


    We absolutely did have a good haul when you consider the money we paid and the age of some of these guys, rather than throwing big money at two or three players, the Jets went and signed 9 guys. each still with considerable upside.

    I don't understand how what Idzik did with our cap in relation to the number and quality of players he got can be viewed in a negative manner. At the beginning of this process no one thought we could improve our team through free agency, everyone thought we were going to pass on free agents and just wait for the draft, well we went out and signed 9 guys and we are not done yet, but this guy here doesn't think they will make the roster. I think this is negative for the sake of being negative but very little substance to back it up.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 07-07-2013 at 08:49 PM.

  20. #80
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,095
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    We absolutely did have a good haul when you consider the money we paid and the age of some of these guys, rather than throwing big money at two or three players, the Jets went and signed 9 guys. each still with considerable upside.

    I don't understand how what Idzik did with our cap in relation to the number and quality of players he got can be viewed in a negative manner. At the beginning of this process no one thought we could improve our team through free agency, everyone thought we were going to pass on free agents and just wait for the draft, well we went out and signed 9 guys and we are not done yet, but this guy here doesn't think they will make the roster. I think this is negative for the sake of being negative but very little substance to back it up.
    Again, I NEVER said they would t make the roster. I just said that they probably won't be on the roster past this season. There are no long term solutions that will become a foundation of a championship team. Everyone keep misquoting me which is fine if you need it to fit the kool aid brigade agenda.

    Idzik would have preferred to have salary cap space. If he did, he absolutely would have spent the money to bring in a Wallace-type of player to upgrade our offense. I think it's very funny when I read that Idzik preferred to bring in the cheap, oft-injured veterans to build his team. That is not the blueprint to building a perrenial playoff caliber team.

    Next year we will see The REAL Idzik because he will have a ton of cap space to work with to go along with a 8 draft picks plus comp picks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us