Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: A good haul in a year no one thought the Jets would be active in FA...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Loaded my ass. We were predicted to win 4 games in 2009. How in the world were we loaded?
    This is true no one thought we'd be the best D in the league or have the run game we pulled out of no where. Our running increased by like 50 yards a game and our D was middle of the league the year prior. We had the worst WR core where in the 4th year of a rebuild and where starting a rookie QB. Loaded? yeah not the right word at all. In 2001 we where loaded IMO and still couldnt win jack.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I really wouldn't count Ivory since he was traded.

Simple fact is that we were strapped for cash and Idzik went bargain bin shopping for some cheaper guys. Does that mean they suck? Of course not. But, don't think for a second that Idzik wouldn't have tried for some bigger names if he had the money to do so. That's what's exciting to me about the next FA. If Idzik was able to turn 5 dollars into a decent FA haul, what could he do with all the money coming off the books next year? Not to mention all the draft picks as well as comp picks.

Both sides are excited for their own reasons. The sunshine crew is excited because they think we're somehow competing for the division and will have 11+ wins (lol) NOW. The realists are excited because we realize that we're on the verge of building a future contender with all of the assets at our disposal.
    Idzik will never be a big player in FA. It is not his style or the style of those he has learned from

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Idzik will never be a big player in FA. It is not his style or the style of those he has learned from
    The Jets will have 50 million to spend next year, they'll have to be players, three is a cap minimum that they will have to reach. They may be smarter or cautious in their approach and who they sign or how long the contracts are, but they'll be players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every Team has High Exspectations at the beginning of TC.. especially jets bc of NYC!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Loaded my ass. We were predicted to win 4 games in 2009. How in the world were we loaded?
    So we are to pay attention to the predictions in 2009 where everyone felt we would win 4 games but ignore the Sporting News and Pro Football Weekly when they both predict the Jets to be a bottom 3 team in 2013?

BTW, we were loaded in 2009 and even more so in 2010. We have a great combo of youth and experience on our OL. Veteran with huge upside and a great back up at RB and we had high priced Free agents/veterans all over the defense to go along with Revis who was blossoming into the best defensive player in the league.

Are you or any of the other kool aid brigade going to insult the collective intelligence (I use the term loosely) of JI and tell us that the 2013 team is comparable to either of those teams?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The Jets will have 50 million to spend next year, they'll have to be players, three is a cap minimum that they will have to reach. They may be smarter or cautious in their approach and who they sign or how long the contracts are, but they'll be players.
    Agreed. It'll be so nice to give Idzik some wiggle room to work with.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully there will also be an element of taking care of their own in there too - locking up key players (yes, we do have some of those ) in addition to bringing in the correct FA additions.

Smart and cautious will be the keys - no need to splurge on a whole raft of players like Miami etc. FA players to fill one or two holes, and provide decent depth, not to form the basis of the whole team.

I could see us trying to bring in a WR especially if Holmes is cut / doesn't come back from injury. We simply don't have enough "up and coming" young guys to feel good about, and drafting a WR is a long term commitment, not an instant fix (unless you're talking a Top 10 pick or something like that).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heh heh, raft...Miami. I see what you did there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik learned how to win! I agree with you that whoever he signs will be excellent players. Plus he will draft well. This team can be very loaded next season and if our QB play improves this year we will surprise some pundits and Doom and Gloomers!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    if our QB play improves this year we will surprise some pundits and Doom and Gloomers!
    If QB play went from very bad to a little below average ... There is a possibility ... IF a bunch of other situations go our way as well ...

... Putting my green tinted glasses I could begin to dream that Going to Morninweg from Sporano could be the move that we look back on at the end of the year & say ... My God ... This is what did it!!! Amazing what a good OC can do with putting Sanchez in much fewer situations to F up

... Must ... Not ... Allow ... Self ... To ... Hope

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    So we are to pay attention to the predictions in 2009 where everyone felt we would win 4 games but ignore the Sporting News and Pro Football Weekly when they both predict the Jets to be a bottom 3 team in 2013?

BTW, we were loaded in 2009 and even more so in 2010. We have a great combo of youth and experience on our OL. Veteran with huge upside and a great back up at RB and we had high priced Free agents/veterans all over the defense to go along with Revis who was blossoming into the best defensive player in the league.

Are you or any of the other kool aid brigade going to insult the collective intelligence (I use the term loosely) of JI and tell us that the 2013 team is comparable to either of those teams?
    You're the one believing the predictions. You cannot tell me you thought we were winning in 2009 with the future HOF duo of Thomas Jones, and Shone Greene, and a rookie Sanchez. Staring WRs Cotchery, and Stucky. Who were these studs FAs on defense? Calvin Pace? Marques Douglas? Jim Lenard? Lito Shepard? You're a joke. Yeah we were stacked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Agreed. It'll be so nice to give Idzik some wiggle room to work with.
    My eye was drawn immediately from the word wiggle to your signature. Not sure why exactly but it was like magic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good thread, but if the title is changed to "A good haul considering the financial situation," then I don't think you get 20% of the disagreements laid out here.

No one knows if these are good signings yet, same as no one knows if they were bad. The truth (as usual) is probably somewhere in the middle. Peterman and Barnes might be total non-factors, while Colon might lock down the LG position for the next 3-4 years. Goodson might get outplayed by McKnight/Powell.

The Jets didn't sign anybody that couldn't have been kept by their previous teams at a reasonable salary. So it's too early to celebrate. But again, I think Idzik did a good job filling the roster with capable players, who have the potential to provide good depth and/or exceed expectations. So it's too early to bash.

All that said, nothing else to talk about in the offseason, so we might as well have at it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    My eye was drawn immediately from the word wiggle to your signature. Not sure why exactly but it was like magic.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Good thread, but if the title is changed to "A good haul considering the financial situation," then I don't think you get 20% of the disagreements laid out here.

No one knows if these are good signings yet, same as no one knows if they were bad. The truth (as usual) is probably somewhere in the middle. Peterman and Barnes might be total non-factors, while Colon might lock down the LG position for the next 3-4 years. Goodson might get outplayed by McKnight/Powell.

The Jets didn't sign anybody that couldn't have been kept by their previous teams at a reasonable salary. So it's too early to celebrate. But again, I think Idzik did a good job filling the roster with capable players, who have the potential to provide good depth and/or exceed e
    xpectations. So it's too early to bash.

All that said, nothing else to talk about in the offseason, so we might as well have at it.

Ehem, ehemmm... If you read the body of my post you'll see that I mentioned that. It's an excellent haul considering what we paid and the cap constraints we had going in, this guy PCola just wanted to be a contrarian for doom and gloom purposes, but he was out of gas from the getgo.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am as skeptical as they come. I've only been a Jets fan since 1998 but they always seem to let me down.

However.

I don't get the doom and gloom. If I went into every season with the SOFJ attitude I would just switch teams or not watch football.

I think we will win some games this year. I think we will lose some games this year. I'll wait and see how things go before I start cutting my wrists.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Ehem, ehemmm... If you read the body of my post you'll see that I mentioned that. It's an excellent haul considering what we paid and the cap constraints we had going in, this guy PCola just wanted to be a contrarian for doom and gloom purposes, but he was out of gas from the getgo.
    I don't know, I think PCola is catching way too much hell for his opinion here. You said all the guys are young with considerable upside...Garay is 34. Peterman, Colon, Landry and Winslow (in a few days) are all in their 30s. Barnes has only had one year (albeit a good year) with more than five sacks. I don't think it's unreasonable if a fan thinks that we've seen the best football from at least 6 of those 9 guys...it's a fair point in a debate and not necessarily "doom and gloom"

These guys were inexpensive for a reason. Doesn't mean they won't turn in good seasons or develop into good players on the Jets, but it's not a foregone conclusion that the Jets have done much more than fill the roster at this point. Idzik did what he had to do, and I commend him for it, but it's actually easier to settle on a guy when you literally have no money to spend.

For the record, I love the Ivory / Landry / Colon pickups, with Winslow being the steal of the bunch if he's anywhere near where he was in TB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know, I think PCola is catching way too much hell for his opinion here. You said all the guys are young with considerable upside...Garay is 34. Peterman, Colon, Landry and Winslow (in a few days) are all in their 30s. Barnes has only had one year (albeit a good year) with more than five sacks. I don't think it's unreasonable if a fan thinks that we've seen the best football from at least 6 of those 9 guys...it's a fair point in a debate and not necessarily "doom and gloom"

These guys were inexpensive for a reason. Doesn't mean they won't turn in good seasons or develop into good players on the Jets, but it's not a foregone conclusion that the Jets have done much more than fill the roster at this point. Idzik did what he had to do, and I commend him for it, but it's actually easier to settle on a guy when you literally have no money to spend.

For the record, I love the Ivory / Landry / Colon pickups, with Winslow being the steal of the bunch if he's anywhere near where he was in TB.
    +1 For the exception there are certain posters that always look for the negative and Pcola does fall in that group most times..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the posts. Don't understand why these few guys continue with all the hate because my opinion was different then theirs. We are the Jets. We used to be the biggest fish in the sea when it came to signing Free Agents. This year was meh- IMO. Hope to hell I'm wrong because like 90% of this board, I live and die with the fortunes of this team.

As for the few that feel their fandom or intelligence is put into question whenever a poster disagrees with them, don't be so insecure.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Thank you for the posts. Don't understand why these few guys continue with all the hate because my opinion was different then theirs. We are the Jets. We used to be the biggest fish in the sea when it came to signing Free Agents. This year was meh- IMO. Hope to hell I'm wrong because like 90% of this board, I live and die with the fortunes of this team.

As for the few that feel their fandom or intelligence is put into question whenever a poster disagrees with them, don't be so insecure.
    The jets were offseason headline Paper Champs every yr too!!! The jets have some hidden talent here and there with Rookies, FA's and UDFA's..