Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: A good haul in a year no one thought the Jets would be active in FA...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a fine thread I must say with pro's and con's worth considering. I think the majority of jets fans agree that Idzik and the coaching staff did the best job that we could have hoped for so far this offseason. I don't think anyone can complain of the situation the Jets are in now vs what things looked like the week after the SB. Most people along with the media had the Jets in such a salary cap mess that would take years to fix after surely plummeting to the bottom as the team would be searching for a new coach as well as a GM after losing any good players they had including Revis. Yes that was about 4 months ago. Although the Jets still have some major holes to fill the team now has a much brighter future to look at. The Defense should be fun to watch and will get better as each game passes. I think the offense will also improve gradually although that is not saying much. All in all I would agree that it's a good haul but by no means is it a permanent haul. The FA signings will eventually be replaced through the draft. This team will be fun to watch and competitive as they get used to a new system and I really expect the Jets to make some serious noise in 2014.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a fine thread I must say with pro's and con's worth considering. I think the majority of jets fans agree that Idzik and the coaching staff did the best job that we could have hoped for so far this offseason. I don't think anyone can complain of the situation the Jets are in now vs what things looked like the week after the SB. Most people along with the media had the Jets in such a salary cap mess that would take years to fix after surely plummeting to the bottom as the team would be searching for a new coach as well as a GM after losing any good players they had including Revis. Yes that was about 4 months ago. Although the Jets still have some major holes to fill the team now has a much brighter future to look at. The Defense should be fun to watch and will get better as each game passes. I think the offense will also improve gradually although that is not saying much. All in all I would agree that it's a good haul but by no means is it a permanent haul. The FA signings will eventually be replaced through the draft. This team will be fun to watch and competitive as they get used to a new system and I really expect the Jets to make some serious noise in 2014.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Again, I NEVER said they would t make the roster. I just said that they probably won't be on the roster past this season. There are no long term solutions that will become a foundation of a championship team. Everyone keep misquoting me which is fine if you need it to fit the kool aid brigade agenda.

Idzik would have preferred to have salary cap space. If he did, he absolutely would have spent the money to bring in a Wallace-type of player to upgrade our offense. I think it's very funny when I read that Idzik preferred to bring in the cheap, oft-injured veterans to build his team. That is not the blueprint to building a perrenial playoff caliber team.

Next year we will see The REAL Idzik because he will have a ton of cap space to work with to go along with a 8 draft picks plus comp picks.

OK, so they will make the roster but will be gone after this year, that there are no long term solutions to build a championship team... and why is that exactly, do you own a crystal ball? Because you say so? My claim is that Idzik did a lot with very little, your claim is that he was better off signing a big free agent name. Of course you are probably the same guy who was blasting Tannenbaum for squandering our cap by signing big ticket FA's and ignoring our depth, now Which is it? Which guy are you A or B? Don't tell me you're C none of the above now.

Again, we had very little wiggle room and still came away with 9 players when very few people thought the Jets would be active in free agency. Out of these 9, Colon, Peterman, Garay, Winslow, Barnes look to be almost shoe-ins to start and the rest will play major roles, now tell me, what would've been preferable to stay put and do nothing?
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 07-07-2013 at 11:13 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem around here is not enthusiasm or fanaticism for the team, that can be ignored easily, it's the rest who in their aim to remain "realistic" entrench themselves up to their necks in negativity, they start to ridicule and piss on anything positive and consciously or subconsciously start to wish for the worst to happen in order to validate their arguments, this helps to take off the edge of losing and makes them feel smarter and more superior than everyone else.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 07-07-2013 at 11:21 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    OK, so they will make the roster but will be gone after this year, that there are no long term solutions to build a championship team... and why is that exactly, do you own a crystal ball? Because you say so? My claim is that Idzik did a lot with very little, your claim is that he was better off signing a big free agent name. Of course you are probably the same guy who was blasting Tannenbaum for squandering our cap by signing big ticket FA's and ignoring our depth, now Which is it? Which guy are you A or B? Don't tell me you're C none of the above now.

Again, we had very little wiggle room and still came away with 9 players when very few people thought the Jets would be active in free agency. Out of these 9, Colon, Peterman, Garay, Winslow, Barnes look to be almost shoe-ins to start and the rest will play major roles, now tell me, what would've been preferable to stay put and do nothing?
    Well I guess the difference is what we both would call a "good haul." Obviously I think a good haul in FA would be to net a guaranteed starter for at least 3 seasons and you qualify it has signing 9 minor role players that due to age, injury, ineffectiveness, may not contribute, but we got them for peanuts.

So we both are correct.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem around here is not enthusiasm or fanaticism for the team, that can be ignored easily, it's the rest who in their aim to remain "realistic" entrench themselves up to their necks in negativity, they start to ridicule and piss on anything positive and consciously or subconsciously start to wish for the worst to happen in order to validate their arguments, this helps to take off the edge of losing and makes them feel smarter and more superior than everyone else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess the difference is what we both would call a "good haul." Obviously I think a good haul in FA would be to net a guaranteed starter for at least 3 seasons and you qualify it has signing 9 minor role players that due to age, injury, ineffectiveness, may not contribute, but we got them for peanuts.

So we both are correct.

No you are incorrect because you are claiming this is a bad haul without the season even starting and despite the fact that most of these players have been solid starters in other places, you became dismissive the second I posted this, we will see, I will stick to my guns and say that this crop will be good especially considering what we paid and especially since it will set a good precedent for Idzik as a rookie GM.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 07-07-2013 at 11:53 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Been out here too long Rah Rah, I know the drill with these kiddies.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been out here too long Rah Rah, I know the drill with these kiddies.
    Well I guess we will just have to dig this thread up around our bye week and then be the judge of who was being realistic and who wasn't. Maybe Colon stays healthy and has the best season of his career. I guess it could happen. I hope it does. But as a professional "numbers cruncher," i am of the opinion that the chances of this happening are not very high.

In your case, bringing in a guy that has missed 2/3rds of his games the last three seasons, solidifies the position. Ok.

Great haul. Super Bowl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I guess we will just have to dig this thread up around our bye week and then be the judge of who was being realistic and who wasn't. Maybe Colon stays healthy and has the best season of his career. I guess it could happen. I hope it does. But as a professional "numbers cruncher," i am of the opinion that the chances of this happening are not very high.

In your case, bringing in a guy that has missed 2/3rds of his games the last three seasons, solidifies the position. Ok.

Great haul. Super Bowl.

Since when did this argument become about Colon? This is about nine FA's not about Colon, nine if you count Ivory who was a trade but should count anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really wouldn't count Ivory since he was traded.

Simple fact is that we were strapped for cash and Idzik went bargain bin shopping for some cheaper guys. Does that mean they suck? Of course not. But, don't think for a second that Idzik wouldn't have tried for some bigger names if he had the money to do so. That's what's exciting to me about the next FA. If Idzik was able to turn 5 dollars into a decent FA haul, what could he do with all the money coming off the books next year? Not to mention all the draft picks as well as comp picks.

Both sides are excited for their own reasons. The sunshine crew is excited because they think we're somehow competing for the division and will have 11+ wins (lol) NOW. The realists are excited because we realize that we're on the verge of building a future contender with all of the assets at our disposal.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;4922814]Really. Bell, Landry, Revis, DeVito, Pouha, and Scott were the best players on our team at their positions last year. Say what you want but our CS played them because the younger guys were either not ready or not as good.

really best players on the team. hmm i guess you go by reputatino not actually watdh the play on the field. Bell was servicable safety but has lost a step or 2 and uses his experiance to cover that up. big bro landry is def a push there and he knows the D better so may actually be an upgrade. little bro landry sigend for stupid money as he is boom or bust most plays and health is suspect. we have a bunch of young guys looking to get this spot look for the suprise temple kid to get the job rex was very high on him comming out of school. Revis was hurt all season and stupid money again he last 3 yrs in tamps before he gets cut by the next gm/coaching staff. devito was a loss no doubt he was good for 3 forced fumbles a year solid guy but kc again over payed to get him there 12.6 mil for 3 yrs good for him he deserves it. seeing a trend here izzzy is not going to over pay ok richardson is by far a better talent the devito will ever be and he was one of my favs so tough for me to say. pouha and scott both were really good and injuries took there toll on them pouha's back was a suprise last season and hurt the run D as he was pushed around and scott has been slowing for years and that toe made him a liabilty that teams exploited. oh and brandon moore see pohuha and flip it to offense he couldnt move your grandmother off the line. so 2 guys are done and out of work 3 guys payed stupid money and cheers for not chasing down that road again on them. and bell a flat trade overall will the D be better depends on the kids and how they shape up as the season goes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my main beef with most on this site.
    If you write anything positive its seen as looking through green lenses.
    If you say anything negative, well SOJFS, there are some of us that like to talk about the team.
    I haven't seen anyone in here post that they feel Marty will instantaneously turn the offense around.
    That's not to say the dude might help with some sense of balance & get whoever plays QB to stop turning over the damn ball so much.
    How much better can our defense be if not faced with having to go back on the field, over & over & over again because of 52 TOs the last 2 years.
    How many points against were literally the result of pick sixes, fumbles, or the defense backed up against their own end zone?
    I'm praying for a mediocre offense, not the 2007 Patriots O.
    I think most fans here are realistic. Especially seeing the Patriots finally in their own little circus, Brady aging another year & knowing that AH will cost them almost 8 million on their salary cap next year when we have a boatload of picks & 26 million to spend.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    This is my main beef with most on this site.
    If you write anything positive its seen as looking through green lenses.
    If you say anything negative, well SOJFS, there are some of us that like to talk about the team.
    I haven't seen anyone in here post that they feel Marty will instantaneously turn the offense around.
    That's not to say the dude might help with some sense of balance & get whoever plays QB to stop turning over the damn ball so much.
    How much better can our defense be if not faced with having to go back on the field, over & over & over again because of 52 TOs the last 2 years.
    How many points against were literally the result of pick sixes, fumbles, or the defense backed up against their own end zone?
    I'm praying for a mediocre offense, not the 2007 Patriots O.
    I think most fans here are realistic. Especially seeing the Patriots finally in their own little circus, Brady aging another year & knowing that AH will cost them almost 8 million on their salary cap next year when we have a boatload of picks & 26 million to spend.

Good points.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    I agree. Idzik did a fine job under the challenging circumnstances. All things considered a good draft and some smart FA signings, CS hiring etc give us a real fighting chance this year. All in all I'm stoked.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=joe810;4923604]
    Really. Bell, Landry, Revis, DeVito, Pouha, and Scott were the best players on our team at their positions last year. Say what you want but our CS played them because the younger guys were either not ready or not as good.

really best players on the team. hmm i guess you go by reputatino not actually watdh the play on the field. Bell was servicable safety but has lost a step or 2 and uses his experiance to cover that up. big bro landry is def a push there and he knows the D better so may actually be an upgrade. little bro landry sigend for stupid money as he is boom or bust most plays and health is suspect. we have a bunch of young guys looking to get this spot look for the suprise temple kid to get the job rex was very high on him comming out of school. Revis was hurt all season and stupid money again he last 3 yrs in tamps before he gets cut by the next gm/coaching staff. devito was a loss no doubt he was good for 3 forced fumbles a year solid guy but kc again over payed to get him there 12.6 mil for 3 yrs good for him he deserves it. seeing a trend here izzzy is not going to over pay ok richardson is by far a better talent the devito will ever be and he was one of my favs so tough for me to say. pouha and scott both were really good and injuries took there toll on them pouha's back was a suprise last season and hurt the run D as he was pushed around and scott has been slowing for years and that toe made him a liabilty that teams exploited. oh and brandon moore see pohuha and flip it to offense he couldnt move your grandmother off the line. so 2 guys are done and out of work 3 guys payed stupid money and cheers for not chasing down that road again on them. and bell a flat trade overall will the D be better depends on the kids and how they shape up as the season goes
    Well I think this is the point. If he starts judging our FA "haul" by our team needs, then it should be fair game to bring up draft picks, and backups ready to step into those starting roles. We didn't sign most of our FAs to be starters. They are mostly depth/situational players. Scott will be replaced by DD. Devito replaced by Coples/Ellis/Richardson. Pouha by Ellis/Snacks/Garay. Revis who didn't play is replaced by Miliner. Bell is replaced by Landry. Laron was not as good as people say last year, but he did bring an attitude. He might be better in a different defense. We still may replace him with a FA, or one of the 6 hopefuls currently on the team. All of these players, besides Revis, and Landry would have been replaced as starters regardless if they were still on the team, and they were "lost" due to some other team screwing up their salary structure.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-08-2013 at 06:47 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good haul IF a lot of these players who have had injury problems in 2012 or in some cases even more so, remain healthy. A big if.

Still this is not a playoff team. Not with Mark Sanchez behind center. A 2009 or 2010 loaded squad this is not, nor does he have the confidence or same skill set he had back then (and let's be honest that skill set was not that good and was limited then, too).

The Jets will be back to competing for a Wild Card in 2014 IF Geno Smith or the rookie QB they choose in 2014 (if they don't like Smith, because remember he's just a second round pick) hits the ground running. It's all about the Quarterback.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand both sides of the argument. The "sunshine crew" loves every player and thinks we should have 22 Pro Bowlers on this team.

The SOJF would be the one bashing Idzik, cursing Sanchez and Geno Smith.

We all fall in the middle on this I'm sure. I think Idzik has done a hell of a job picking up these vets with the pennies he had to work with. I am skeptical that all of these players will work out. The most important one that he signed, Garrard, did not.

However, I'm not sure if it was his top priority or if the draft just played out like it, but I like the additions of Winters and Aboushi. My hope is that by 2014, we have no question marks on our OL.

We are counting on several young players on defense to play major roles. Milliner, Richardson, Coples, Davis, Ellis, and the competition between two very late round safeties will be either playing as rookies or assuming much bigger roles. All are a crapshoot. I am hopeful, even optimistic. But anyone saying that our defense is automatically going to be in Beast mode doesn't understand everything that has to happen for that to occur.

And that's on the side of the ball none of us is really worried about.
    The homers usually do this. They vastly over-rate players---most of the time calling them beasts---When in fact they are most often mere pedestrian and the "beast" appellation merely reflects the psychosis that effects many fans after being tortured for so many years. Indeed, the Ray-Rays and SG3's are to be pitied. But i do understand how they got that way.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    reptilleon, good buddy, YOU are an ItzDIK

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    A good haul IF a lot of these players who have had injury problems in 2012 or in some cases even more so, remain healthy. A big if.

Still this is not a playoff team. Not with Mark Sanchez behind center. A 2009 or 2010 loaded squad this is not, nor does he have the confidence or same skill set he had back then (and let's be honest that skill set was not that good and was limited then, too).

The Jets will be back to competing for a Wild Card in 2014 IF Geno Smith or the rookie QB they choose in 2014 (if they don't like Smith, because remember he's just a second round pick) hits the ground running. It's all about the Quarterback.
    Loaded my ass. We were predicted to win 4 games in 2009. How in the world were we loaded?