Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pats Will Suck This Year

All Pro
    I think the Patriots will struggle early with the new pieces on offense and I'm not a big believer in their defense.

That said, I simply don't see how anyone else in the division will win more games than they do. I see the Pats going 10-6, winning the AFC East and finishing with the 3 or 4 seed.

Early in the offseason I had hopes the Jets could be a surprise playoff team -- that Mornhinweg and Geno could spark a surprisingly passable offense, that we'd have a shot at 9-7 or 10-6... But frankly that hope has dwindled. If you read between the lines its clear Geno isn't going to be ready to be the opening day starter. It's also become clear Santonio won't be ready Week 1. Simply put, if we start the season with Sanchez and no Holmes we're going to stink.

The Bills and Dolphins will be in the same boat. We'll all be somewhere between 6-8 wins and the Pats, despite not being great (and no match for the AFC Elite) will cruise to another division title... AFC East is down.

IMO, AFC should be the Broncos to win next year, but the Ravens have done an impressive job retooling on the fly.

If the Pats' defense has any chance to take that next step out of the cellar of the league, it will be this year. It's the first season in years that they've been able to return a majority of their starters, and it's still one of the youngest defenses in the league. The front 7 is already solid. Talib and Dennard at the corners, with Adrian Wilson and McCourty at the safeties is not only the best secondary they've had since 2007, but it may even be slightly above average. The pass D was markedly better when they picked up Talib mid-season last year.

A defense that hovers somewhere around league average will go a long way toward alleviating any drop-off the offense may suffer (although they will still likely be top 10).

They won super bowls when their best receiver was David Givens. They will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    They won super bowls when their best receiver was David Givens. They will be fine.
    They had a way better defense back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    If the Pats' defense has any chance to take that next step out of the cellar of the league, it will be this year. It's the first season in years that they've been able to return a majority of their starters, and it's still one of the youngest defenses in the league. The front 7 is already solid. Talib and Dennard at the corners, with Adrian Wilson and McCourty at the safeties is not only the best secondary they've had since 2007, but it may even be slightly above average. The pass D was markedly better when they picked up Talib mid-season last year.

A defense that hovers somewhere around league average will go a long way toward alleviating any drop-off the offense may suffer (although they will still likely be top 10).
    The Pats secondary is awful. Jermy Kerley who is barely above average had 206 yards receiving in two games last season facing the Pats' D. The front 7 is overrated outside of Wilfork. And the offense won't be able to say on the field nearly as long which means this D is going to get gassed come 4th quarter. Brady and those receivers did alot to help this defense and probably inflated what were already putrid #s.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Yep in their Bowl wins their worst was 01 at rank 6 the other 2 years they were either 1st or 2nd in D..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yep in their Bowl wins their worst was 01 at rank 6 the other 2 years they were either 1st or 2nd in D..
    The Pats D was excellent back in those days. Warner and the greatest show on turf said they were the best defense they had faced all season long prior to the Super Bowl - ofcourse it helped that they were taping signals and pre-game walkthroughs but still.

There are college teams that would put up major points on this current Pats D.

The Pats secondary is awful. Jermy Kerley who is barely above average had 206 yards receiving in two games last season facing the Pats' D. The front 7 is overrated outside of Wilfork. And the offense won't be able to say on the field nearly as long which means this D is going to get gassed come 4th quarter. Brady and those receivers did alot to help this defense and probably inflated what were already putrid #s.
    Talib wasn't even on the team for that first game. They will be much better than last season if that secondary can remain healthy and intact for a full season. I fully expect a league-average defense this season. They will be just fine.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.

They will be much better than last season if that secondary can remain healthy and intact. I fully expect a league-average defense this season. They will be just fine.
    That secondary sucks even when it is healthy and intact. Brady is a great player but he won't have Welker to convert 3rd downs anymore which means this defense is going to see alot more time on the field. Goodbye.

That secondary sucks even when it is healthy and intact. Brady is a great player but he won't have Welker to convert 3rd downs anymore which means this defense is going to see alot more time on the field. Goodbye.
    Whatever you say. You guys have been posting this same thread every year for the past 5 years and every year you look hilariously foolish by Thanksgiving. I guess we'll see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Catches Welker had as a Pat 112,111,123,86,122 and 118.. Hell they may even miss Woodheads 40 catches last year..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Catches Welker had as a Pat 112,111,123,86,122 and 118.. Hell they may even miss Woodheads 40 catches last year..
    As you know I'm not even a big fan of Danny Goodhead but even he is gone. Granted he's by far the most replaceable out of all the assets the Pats lost this off-season and what they do currently have (Glasskowski, Hymendola) is very injury prone.

Whatever you say. You guys have been posting this same thread every year for the past 5 years and every year you look hilariously foolish by Thanksgiving. I guess we'll see.
    Blah blah blah easy to act arrogant when you Brady had Welker, Moss, and two all-pro tight ends to throw to in those years. Now all of them are gone except for Glasskowski who is one fall on turf using his arm to brace himself away from the IR.

They were 9th in the league at allowing points. That already is better than average. If their new secondary stops the massive yard bleedage, they might be a very good defense this year. Even with that **** secondary they had before signing Talib, they didn't let teams score on them, and - more importantly - their defense gets the ball.

They scorched the rest of the league on turn overs.

I just don't think Welker was their team. Tom Brady is their team. He's the one that carves up defenses, not Wes. According to what I've read, the story behind the Pats/49'ers game last season was that the first half (when they got shut down) was their offensive coordinator, and the 2nd half, when Brady went ape-****, was Belichick letting him run the O from the field.

He has new receivers. They'll be fine.

If the defense is a huge improvement over last season, they'll probably be Superbowl favorites by week 10.

I admire the OP's homerism but this isn't the first off season we've heard doom predictions for the Patriots. Their team over all was far worse in 2011 and they almost won a Superbowl with it.

I'd be more worried about us putting up 6 wins this year than the Patriots disintegrating in the AFC East.

It's hard to take the Texans seriously after 2012, the Ravens are a much different team than they were last year, and nobody believes Peyton Manning is going to win in the play offs. That leaves the Colts who might surprise this year, an aging Steeler team, the Dolphins, and Dalton's Bengals.
    So how confident are you really that the Patriots are finished?

The problem with the Patriots defense for offenses is it's pretty hard to run against it, meaning teams just have to pass to put up numbers. Their front 7 is one of the stoutest in the league and will only be getting better. So when teams turn to passing, Belichick's schemes create interceptions and offensive mistakes which puts the ball back in Brady's hands, usually when they already have a lead.

You're greatly under estimating their defense based on the yards they allowed when it's points and turn overs that win football games.

All Pro
    Brady was a lot younger then as well, and they were in full on cheat mode.

If Jets go 8-8 or even better, Rex will be called coach of the year and will get 4 year extension.
    We will suck mightily this year. 2014 will be a different story.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    They were 9th in the league at allowing points. That already is better than average. If their new secondary stops the massive yard bleedage, they might be a very good defense this year. Even with that **** secondary they had before signing Talib, they didn't let teams score on them, and - more importantly - their defense gets the ball.

They scorched the rest of the league on turn overs.

I just don't think Welker was their team. Tom Brady is their team. He's the one that carves up defenses, not Wes. According to what I've read, the story behind the Pats/49'ers game last season was that the first half (when they got shut down) was their offensive coordinator, and the 2nd half, when Brady went ape-****, was Belichick letting him run the O from the field.

He has new receivers. They'll be fine.

If the defense is a huge improvement over last season, they'll probably be Superbowl favorites by week 10.

I admire the OP's homerism but this isn't the first off season we've heard doom predictions for the Patriots. Their team over all was far worse in 2011 and they almost won a Superbowl with it.

I'd be more worried about us putting up 6 wins this year than the Patriots disintegrating in the AFC East.

It's hard to take the Texans seriously after 2012, the Ravens are a much different team than they were last year, and nobody believes Peyton Manning is going to win in the play offs. That leaves the Colts who might surprise this year, an aging Steeler team, the Dolphins, and Dalton's Bengals.
    So how confident are you really that the Patriots are finished?
    Not to hard to do in this division which is half the games.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    If Jets go 8-8 or even better, Rex will be called coach of the year and will get 4 year extension.
    We will suck mightily this year. 2014 will be a different story.

COY

Veteran
    Talib wasn't even on the team for that first game. They will be much better than last season if that secondary can remain healthy and intact for a full season. I fully expect a league-average defense this season. They will be just fine.
    To go from the league worst defense to average is a big jump given they have almost the same personnel as last year, but I like your enthusiasm.