Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 393

Thread: Pats Will Suck This Year

  1. #61
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ft lauderdale
    Posts
    1,514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What distractions? Hernandez is not on the team and nobody team member will comment on it. BB will not invite ESPN to camp and makes statements that he will unleash Tebow.
    No distractions??? You are living in a fantasy world, enjoy the circus

  2. #62
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,655
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What distractions? Hernandez is not on the team and nobody team member will comment on it. BB will not invite ESPN to camp and makes statements that he will unleash Tebow.
    Do you honestly think this will go away that easily? That if Video Bill refuses to comment the story will just disappear? There will be mainstream media camped out at the start of training camp, harassing every player on the team for comment.

    He'll also field ten questions a day on Tebow's role on the team, particularly now that Hernandez's murder charge and Gronk's injuries have cleared the way.

    Regardless of whether the Pats invite ESPN to training camp I think you're underestimating the circus that comes with Tebow, particularly in a major market like Boston. Belichick's hubris caused him to sign this guy -- it's going to backfire.

  3. #63
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    There is nothing to suggest that? How many points do you think they will average? Remember this thread can be brought up to show your football acumen at the end of the season
    Well they averaged 34.8 last year. Amendola is no Welker. Welker himself was responsible for extending 1 or 2 drives every game. No real threat at TE, until Gronkowski returns if he does. He will probably need half a season before he is in game shape.

    So the two biggest mismatches that NE had at slot and TE are effectively gone. They do have a very good OL and that needs to stay healthy.

    So NE will have to generate offense with scheme relying on tempo and Brady's ability to read defenses and adjust. But he has much less to adjust to. He is still a Top 5 QB, but he is not as good at deep passes or midrange sideline passes. He needs to rely on the short passing game again. But he does not have the weapons.

    I would say they are 5-7 points worse a game so between 27-30 if Brady is as good elevating players as everyone thinks he is. It could definitely be lower

  4. #64
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    No distractions??? You are living in a fantasy world, enjoy the circus
    Dont even bother arguing with them, they think AH is innocent.

  5. #65
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Well they averaged 34.8 last year. Amendola is no Welker. Welker himself was responsible for extending 1 or 2 drives every game. No real threat at TE, until Gronkowski returns if he does. He will probably need half a season before he is in game shape.

    So the two biggest mismatches that NE had at slot and TE are effectively gone. They do have a very good OL and that needs to stay healthy.

    So NE will have to generate offense with scheme relying on tempo and Brady's ability to read defenses and adjust. But he has much less to adjust to. He is still a Top 5 QB, but he is not as good at deep passes or midrange sideline passes. He needs to rely on the short passing game again. But he does not have the weapons.
    I would say they are 5-7 points worse a game so between 27-30 if Brady is as good elevating players as everyone thinks he is. It could definitely be lower

    I might agree more with you if this all happened during the season. Fortunately they have an entire training camp and preseason to scheme around their personnel. They traded Moss after 4 games and adjusted their offense on the fly in 2010, back when no one had even heard of Gronk or Hernandez.

    Amendola has nothing on Welker's production but lots of people around here like to call Welker nothing more than a shifty JAG who put up great numbers because of Brady. Now all of a sudden he is an irreplaceable NFL talent? If Amendola can stay healthy, he can certainly play enough of the "Welker role" to keep the chains moving based on his skill set. Oh, and he's 5 years younger, so that's a plus unless you believe that short white slot guys never age or decline, like elves or something.


    And apparently Danny "nowhere near as good as McKnight" Woodhead is suddenly a huge loss as well, lol. Shane Vereen is taking over his role and is a better Kevin Faulk and already showed some flashes last year (Thanksgiving, anyone?).



    It's really funny, guys produce in the Pats offense and you call them just a bunch of JAGs who look good because of Brady, and then when the Pats let them go it's "oh wow, I can't believe they got rid of him, the Pats are really gonna suffer now."
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-07-2013 at 01:15 AM.

  6. #66
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Do you honestly think this will go away that easily? That if Video Bill refuses to comment the story will just disappear? There will be mainstream media camped out at the start of training camp, harassing every player on the team for comment.

    He'll also field ten questions a day on Tebow's role on the team, particularly now that Hernandez's murder charge and Gronk's injuries have cleared the way.

    Regardless of whether the Pats invite ESPN to training camp I think you're underestimating the circus that comes with Tebow, particularly in a major market like Boston. Belichick's hubris caused him to sign this guy -- it's going to backfire.
    ESPN camped out in Cortland because they thought there was a legitimate chance Tebow could beat out Sanchez for the starting QB job and "Tebow Time" could keep on rolling. He was still living off of the Denver glory and everyone wanted to see more Tebow magic. Even when he was relegated to 3rd string there was always the belief he could get the nod if Sanchez failed, and magic could happen again. There is no such media delusion about Tebow's prospects at starting at QB in Foxboro. If the Pats bury him to QB3 throughout training camp there won't be much to report on day in and day out.

    If Tebow starts getting reps at tight end, however, things could definitely change. The media would love to see that experiment. There are no indications, however, that he's being considered in that role for the team.

    Belichick got pelted with SpyGate and cheating questions for an entire season in 2007, accompanied by running up the score controversies, his team's quest for NFL history, etc., and he didn't blink an eye. You think Tebowmania is going to be that much more meddlesome? Belichick's simply not going to answer questions about any of this, from Tebow to Hernandez to anything other than football-related questions pertaining to his current team. Rex felt the weight of the media when it came to Tebow... Belichick is an f'n boss when it comes to this sort of thing, it won't be the same at all. Dude can't be cracked.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-07-2013 at 01:29 AM.

  7. #67
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    7,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    those pats fans who don't believe tebow ( as well as lingering hernandez + gronk ?'s if he's not ready for camp) questions are going to be brought up through camp & into the season are living in a dreamworld

    will BB be able to dampen their impact with his media dog & pony show? certainly, but they will still be an annoyance to the NEP

    also to not believe that losing/swapping out the majority of brady's pass catchers is going to impact production would seem to be living in fantasy land to me as well.

    unfortunately it is unlikely that Miami will be able to challenge them for the division ... and buff as well as us are even longer shots ... so NE is going to have a lot more question marks heading into the playoffs where it is most likely to hurt them.

    is gronk going to be ready? when will he be 100% can Amendola stay healthy? will the Giants TE be able to fill the Hernandez role? how will the other new WR's perform?.sounding a lot more like NYJ than the typical Foxboro tale ... in addition to the how can we improve the defensive backfield redflag that NE finished last season with

  8. #68
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you can't understand the difference in media attention of Tebow at Jets camp in 2012 vs. Tebow at Pats camp in 2013 then I just don't know what to tell you.


    This whole situation basically screams, "you will fail just like us! Please don't prove to be any better at this than us!"
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-07-2013 at 04:26 AM.

  9. #69
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I might agree more with you if this all happened during the season. Fortunately they have an entire training camp and preseason to scheme around their personnel. They traded Moss after 4 games and adjusted their offense on the fly in 2010, back when no one had even heard of Gronk or Hernandez.

    Amendola has nothing on Welker's production but lots of people around here like to call Welker nothing more than a shifty JAG who put up great numbers because of Brady. Now all of a sudden he is an irreplaceable NFL talent? If Amendola can stay healthy, he can certainly play enough of the "Welker role" to keep the chains moving based on his skill set. Oh, and he's 5 years younger, so that's a plus unless you believe that short white slot guys never age or decline, like elves or something.


    And apparently Danny "nowhere near as good as McKnight" Woodhead is suddenly a huge loss as well, lol. Shane Vereen is taking over his role and is a better Kevin Faulk and already showed some flashes last year (Thanksgiving, anyone?).



    It's really funny, guys produce in the Pats offense and you call them just a bunch of JAGs who look good because of Brady, and then when the Pats let them go it's "oh wow, I can't believe they got rid of him, the Pats are really gonna suffer now."
    No one called Welker, Gronk and Hernandez JAGs because they weren't. If they did, they were ignorant because they are all elite. NE cannot just "scheme" for new players and get similar production, Will not happen. I stand by my statement that NE will not be a very good team this year.

  10. #70
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,320
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think anyone who believes the Pats will win less than 10 games is a fool.

    Without looking at the schedule, they feel like an 11 win team to me. I figure they go 5-1 in the division (which is terrible, but I never pencil in anyone to sweep all 6 division games), and 6-4 in the rest of the games.


    The Patriots offense has been so astoundingly great for the past few years, even if they suffer a massive dropoff on offense (a dropoff of 120 points) they'd still be a top 3 offense. That would put them on the level of last year's Packers and Giants.




    footnote: The Patriots were 5 points shy of doubling our offense output last year. We scored 281 points, they scored 557.

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    24,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats favorites until proven otherwise. Dolphins will be considered challengers, not the Jets.

  12. #72
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    They had a way better defense back then.
    Everyone did. That was before the losers got together and changed the rules to make it easier for Peyton Manning.

  13. #73
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedinGreenNC View Post
    Dont even bother arguing with them, they think AH is innocent.
    No he is guilty as sin and after the trial I hope they fry his ass. Why would a Patriot fan want less? He screwed the team over and the fan base, never mind the tragedy that he caused the family of the victim and of course the victim himself.

    And I don't understand why you think Tebow is going to be a distraction. No Patriot fan wants to see him on the field, BB has said he is the 3rd string QB and how often have you seen his face in the one month that he signed, compare that to the one month after he signed with the jets. When he was allowed to talk to the media every day and every day some member of the jets would talk about him.

    The pats are not a perfect organization by any means, but they are the best at locking out the medial. The whole spygate thing distracted them to a perfect regular season and a SB appearance.

  14. #74
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I already explained to you the secondary personnel change, but feel free to continue ignoring that. Half of last season they were starting McCourty and Arrington at CB1 and CB2, and they were torched repeatedly by mediocre QBs. Talib and Dennard >>>> McCourty and Arrington.
    Ras-I Dowling might be the best CB on the team.

  15. #75
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No one called Welker, Gronk and Hernandez JAGs because they weren't. If they did, they were ignorant because they are all elite. NE cannot just "scheme" for new players and get similar production, Will not happen. I stand by my statement that NE will not be a very good team this year.
    Why are you including Gronk in that? He will be playing next year. Do you also think that Fells and Ballard and Amendola are going to miss as much time as they did last year.

    No they will most likley not get the same production as the previous year. but do you think that they won't be top 5 with Ridley, Vereen Washington, Ballard and Blount. Much is made about Welker and Hernandez not being on the team and rightfully so. But why do you think they won't be able to put in some new plays and scheme around the loss. Ballard and Amendola are not chopped Liver neither are Fells, Donald Jones or Jenkins and Endleman.

    Some of the posters seem to think that the pats are not going to be able to field a team next year as they will all be on the injured list for the whole 16 games. The Bills loses on the oline now leaves the pats with the best running game in the East and one of the best in the whole AFC
    Last edited by patman; 07-07-2013 at 07:16 AM.

  16. #76
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    those pats fans who don't believe tebow ( as well as lingering hernandez + gronk ?'s if he's not ready for camp) questions are going to be brought up through camp & into the season are living in a dreamworld

    will BB be able to dampen their impact with his media dog & pony show? certainly, but they will still be an annoyance to the NEP

    also to not believe that losing/swapping out the majority of brady's pass catchers is going to impact production would seem to be living in fantasy land to me as well.

    unfortunately it is unlikely that Miami will be able to challenge them for the division ... and buff as well as us are even longer shots ... so NE is going to have a lot more question marks heading into the playoffs where it is most likely to hurt them.

    is gronk going to be ready? when will he be 100% can Amendola stay healthy? will the Giants TE be able to fill the Hernandez role? how will the other new WR's perform?.sounding a lot more like NYJ than the typical Foxboro tale ... in addition to the how can we improve the defensive backfield redflag that NE finished last season with
    Gronk won't be ready for camp.

    Who knows if any player will stay healthy.

    Ballard will not fill Hernadez role, totally different players. Those plays will most likely be run by Vereen, maybe by Sud.

    They can improve the Def backfield by signing Adrian Wilson to play in the box, having Talib for the whole season (and most importantly- camp) Denard and Tavon Wilson being in thier 2nd year of playing and knowing that McCourty can now just concentrate on playing FS and not switching back and forth during the game and every other week. They wont be confused with the seahawks, but they should take another step this year.
    Last edited by patman; 07-07-2013 at 07:58 AM.

  17. #77
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    The East is not the worst division in the AFC. That destinction belongs to the AFCW. That's probably why P6 went there in the first place.

    Until I see something other than points on an NFL scoreboard, the Pats defense is better than the Jets defense.

    The only real drop off for the Pats offense will be at TE and they'll probably work that out. I don't see Jake Ballard filling that hole completely, but I have confidence that the Pats will do something.

    The Pats lost to the eventual SB champion last year in the AFC title game, and the team they lost to has been dismantled. I'd say they have a decent chance to return to the SB.

    In order to have a real Tebow circus you need to have a ring leader or master of ceremony. The Pats don't have one of those but the Jets do.

    The only difference between Armendola and Welker's injury history is that Welker's injury happened during the last game of the year while Armendola's happened in the first.

    The Pats will not suck this year.

  18. #78
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,324
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, Past fan just activated derp mode.

  19. #79
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    There is nothing to suggest the Pats will be that high scoring. They lost all of their playmakers.
    2006 suggests it. In 2006, the Pats were 7th highest scoring offense (24.1 PPG) with Reche Caldwell as Brady's leading receiver and rest of his receiving corp consisting of an over the hill Troy Brown, Doug Gabriel, Jabar Gaffney, Chad Jackson, Kelvin Kight, and Bam Childress with Daniel Graham and Ben Watson as their TEs and Kevin Faulk (who might have been their best receiver that year) at RB. Even with the question marks on the Pats' receiving corp, the 2013 Pats' receiving corp is significantly better than the 2006 receiving corp. Plus, the Pats have a much better running game than 2006.

    The Pats' offense may suck this year, but as long as they have Brady, a very good o-line, a good running game, and McDaniels; odds are they will be a top 10 offense especially if Gronk is ready for the start of the season or close to it.

  20. #80
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2012 Pats' defense isn't nearly as bad as Jets fans make it. Is a top defense? Not even close. But it was average to above average (at least at times).

    Yards for defense is the most overrated stat for defenses especially against a high powered offense that can score quickly. If you are up by 21 points in the third quarter, your defensive strategy change. You don't care if the opposing team eats up time on a long drive as long as you keep them out of the end zone. In fact, the best thing a team can do protecting a big lead is allow the opposing team to get a 5 minute drive without points.

    Also, the argument that if you have a high powered offense, you don't give up a lot of points is weak. New Orleans was 3rd in points scored, but 28th in points allowed. The Redskins were 4th in points scored and 22nd in points allowed. In 2011, the Packers were 1st in points scored and 19th in points allowed. New Orleans was 2nd in points scored that year, but were 13th in points allowed. The Pats were 3rd in points scored that year, and 15th in points allowed. There seems to be little correlation between scoring a lot of points means that a team will give up a lot less points.

    Lastly, the Pats were second in the entire league in takeaways. They had 41 take aways last year which was 10 more takeaways than the third best team in the league. The Pats had a very opportunistic defense.

    The Pats' defense will never be confused with the 85 Bears, but it is far better than people on this board make it. I would say the Pats' defense in 2012 was average to slightly above average. With a lot of young players getting a little more experience (the three rookie starters from 2012 could make big jumps in production like a lot of second year players do) and Talib here from day one, this defense has a chance to be well above average to a very good defense. Maybe it won't, but I think people here are sleeping on this defense.
    Last edited by Rob0729; 07-07-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us