Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ACLU concerned about Hernandez' jail treatment

ACLU concerned about Hernandez' jail treatment

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...003203774.html

The American Civil Liberties Union is concerned about Aaron Hernandez's accommodations in prison as the former New England Patriots tight end waits for his murder trial to start.

In a blog post on ACLU.org, the group expresses concern about the damage being done to Hernandez as he is placed in protective custody, also known as solitary confinement which the ACLU argues can do more damage than good. It cites international communities "that recognize solitary confinement as a form of torture."

"Regardless of what you think of Aaron Hernandez, it's important to take a minute and remember he has not yet been convicted in the eyes of the law, he is still innocent until proven guilty," ACLU.org wrote. "But, while awaiting trial, he has been locked alone in a small room with little or no human interaction for over 20 hours a day."

Hernandez could be waiting many months for his trial to begin. Some believe it could take a year. He was denied bail, and then denied again on appeal with the judge citing the strength of the prosecution's evidence and the risk of Hernandez fleeing. He was reportedly being kept away from the general prison population for his safety. The ACLU worries about him being kept in a cell the "size of a parking spot."

The ACLU discusses the "debilitating psychological effects" when a prisoner is extremely isolated. The group uses Hernandez's case to bring attention to the 80,000 cases of solitary confinement of prisoners, saying that it drastically diminishes the chances of rehabilitation. It says that some studies show prisoners released from extreme isolation have higher rates of repeating criminal behavior.

Hernandez hasn't had a ton of public support since he was arrested in connection with the killing of Odin Lloyd. Former teammate Deion Branch, rapper Snoop Lion and the ACLU pretty much comprise the list now. While his Patriots teammates go through the 2013 season, Hernandez will have plenty of time to think about his circumstances in less-than-ideal conditions. The ACLU is concerned about what long-term effect all that time by himself might have on Hernandez.

Hard to remain objective on this one, and not because he was on the Pats, which is meaningless, in my opinion. But the man had a flophouse. A freaking flophouse. I didn't even know what one of those were until I read he had one. This was an extra house he used to assist him in committing crimes and murders. A place to store guns, ammo, fake IDs, and disguises.

Anyone with a flophouse who has murdered at least one person, possibly murdered a couple more, and possibly shot a few more is very probably guilty. Let's watch it play out, but this guy is very likely a monster. Let him rot.

Let him sit and reflect on all the evil he caused, this process is called justice.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    LOL

F*ck 'em

Part of the problem....and I don't claim to have the solution....is that we tend to apply our own logic and values on these monsters. "How could he be so stupid? He signed a $40 million contract? Why would he then kill someone?" "Wouldn't getting away with the last one make him more careful to not kill someone else?" "I wonder if he feels terrible in jail knowing he's lost everything, will spend the rest of his days in jail, and wasted his enormous talent?"

These are all the thinking of rational beings. Monsters like this guy (...allegedly, but probably....) don't think that way. That's what makes them very effective criminals and murderers. No remorse.

We must be careful in applying our own, rational, thoughts to such monsters. Thank God he's been removed from society so he can't murder anyone else. And assuming he's proven guilty - which looks more likely by the day - thankfully he'll be contained so that he can't murder additional people.

Banned
    Oh POOR Little Orphan AARON!!!

Reminded me of Anders Brevik complains of "sadistic" Norway prison - his 3 room cell was very small, view from his window was not very pretty, his coffee was not hot enough, he could not play videogames and he did not get enough butter for breakfast rolls.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Reminded me of Anders Brevik complains of "sadistic" Norway prison - his 3 room cell was very small, view from his window was not very pretty, his coffee was not hot enough, he could not play videogames and he did not get enough butter for breakfast rolls.
    LOL...

But Aaron is just used to SO MUCH MORE!!!

Poor baby... Guess he shouldn't have shot his friends' faces off!

I agree with the ACLU here. Why we all believe he is a murdering scumbag and want to see him fry, until he is proven guilty in a court of law, he is only in jail because of his potential danger to society. While he is in jail awaiting trial, and not proven guilty I see their point. You have to remember that this could occur to a guy waiting trial and not being able to make $500 bail.

It is easy to beat on the aclu when they take unpopular stands on behalf of rights, but these are rights that we have until proven guilty. The Christmas tree and Manger suits drive me nuts but they look out for everybody's rights not just the rights of the great majority.
    Last edited by patman; 07-08-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I agree with the ACLU here. Why we all believe he is a murdering scumbag and want to see him fry, until he is proven guilty in a court of law, he is only in jail because of his potential danger to society. While he is in jail awaiting trial, and not proven guilty I see their point. You have to remember that this could occur to a guy waiting trial and not being able to make $500 bail.
    So if you are innocent man - you would rather be surrounded with gangsters and rapists, and not left alone in protective custody...
    I see...

Banned
    I agree! Throw him to the throngs of rival gang members! FVCK EM!

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    So if you are innocent man - you would rather be surrounded with gangsters and rapists, and not left alone in protective custody...
    I see...
    I myself would take the protective custody and would request it immediately upon entering the jail. But it is my choice to do so. I have no qualms after his trial if they keep him or any prisoner locked up for ever in his cell and hose them down with a firehouse instead of walking him to the shower.

My post is not a defense of hernadez but one of the Aclu.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I agree! Throw him to the throngs of rival gang members! FVCK EM!
    He is in the local county jail. In Mass there are two different sides in the county jails, one side is a prison where people who are convicted are incarcerated and the other side is a jail for people awaiting trial. The two groups do not mingle at all. There are not many violent prisoners on the jailers side as if your on parole or probation and awaiting trial you get surreneded and go the prison side. The jailer side is a lot of people that just can't make the set bail and not a lot of guys like Him that were refused bail and wee first offenders and not on parole or probation.

Odin Lloyd's accommodations are smaller.

All Pro
    He is in the local county jail. In Mass there are two different sides in the county jails, one side is a prison where people who are convicted are incarcerated and the other side is a jail for people awaiting trial. The two groups do not mingle at all. There are not many violent prisoners on the jailers side as if your on parole or probation and awaiting trial you get surreneded and go the prison side. The jailer side is a lot of people that just can't make the set bail and not a lot of guys like Him that were refused bail and wee first offenders and not on parole or probation.
    Then how would letting him out be fair to the petty criminals that he'd be free to terrorize?

Hall Of Fame
    Being left alone for 20 hours a day doesn't sound like torture. It sounds like heaven.

He has to be in solitary because he'd be likely to kill his cellmate. It's the Patriot Way.

I myself would take the protective custody and would request it immediately upon entering the jail. But it is my choice to do so. I have no qualms after his trial if they keep him or any prisoner locked up for ever in his cell and hose them down with a firehouse instead of walking him to the shower.
    Oh, prison showers.. The dream of every chowd troll, surely beats those frisky gerbils. How they can take it away from anyone?

All Pro
    Booooo Hoooooo. Some people go to solitary confinement for just providing a break from reality drug to eager buyers. Murders should have to pay a visit too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Being left alone for 20 hours a day doesn't sound like torture. It sounds like heaven.
    You're a married man I presume??