Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: ACLU concerned about Hernandez' jail treatment

  1. #21
    Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    12,376
    Images
    38320
    He's going to be in prison for the rest of his life so I think the rehabilitation angle is kind of moot.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    3,779
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Being left alone for 20 hours a day doesn't sound like torture. It sounds like heaven.
    Lmao

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Water board him...


  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Being left alone for 20 hours a day doesn't sound like torture. It sounds like heaven.
    Obviously a married man with children

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,189
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Being left alone for 20 hours a day doesn't sound like torture. It sounds like heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You're a married man I presume??
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Obviously a married man with children




  6. #26
    If the man feels safe being out in general population, put him there. It's not like he is some little small white guy who will get repeatedly raped. If anything I would worry for the safety of the general population with this guy free to roam among them.

  7. #27
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I agree with the ACLU here. Why we all believe he is a murdering scumbag and want to see him fry, until he is proven guilty in a court of law, he is only in jail because of his potential danger to society. While he is in jail awaiting trial, and not proven guilty I see their point. You have to remember that this could occur to a guy waiting trial and not being able to make $500 bail.

    It is easy to beat on the aclu when they take unpopular stands on behalf of rights, but these are rights that we have until proven guilty. The Christmas tree and Manger suits drive me nuts but they look out for everybody's rights not just the rights of the great majority.
    I'm with you here. It's amazing to me how the same people who love to wave the flag seem to care so little about the liberties this country is based on. No matter how much evidence they find against him, now is not the time for punishment -- that comes AFTER he's proven guilty.

    That said, I'm not sure that I agree that the jail authorities are not proceeding appropriately. They've said he may be released to General Population once they get a better handle on what the risks are to him there. Seems reasonable to me to keep him isolated for a few weeks first. It's true that people not yet convicted of a crime should probably be afforded somewhat better conditions than he's currently living in -- but that's a problem that goes way beyond Aaron Hernandez.

  8. #28
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I'm with you here. It's amazing to me how the same people who love to wave the flag seem to care so little about the liberties this country is based on. No matter how much evidence they find against him, now is not the time for punishment -- that comes AFTER he's proven guilty.

    That said, I'm not sure that I agree that the jail authorities are not proceeding appropriately. They've said he may be released to General Population once they get a better handle on what the risks are to him there. Seems reasonable to me to keep him isolated for a few weeks first. It's true that people not yet convicted of a crime should probably be afforded somewhat better conditions than he's currently living in -- but that's a problem that goes way beyond Aaron Hernandez.
    He has to be in jail because he is a flight risk.

    They're keeping him in solitary confinement because they feel its the safest place for him. Not to torture or punish him. The ACLU has an agenda. If he was locked up alone in a country club they would still argue that he's innocent until proven guilty.

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    He has to be in jail because he is a flight risk.

    They're keeping him in solitary confinement because they feel its the safest place for him. Not to torture or punish him. The ACLU has an agenda. If he was locked up alone in a country club they would still argue that he's innocent until proven guilty.
    I know why he's being incarcerated, and from what I read, the ACLU did not raise any issue with his incarceration.

    I also know why they're keeping him isolated -- and, as I said, I think they're probably doing what is appropriate at this point.

    Of course the ACLU has an agenda -- protecting civil liberties of Americans is their agenda, as they openly admit. And if he were locked up in a country club, he WOULD still be innocent until proven guilty. Duh...

    In my post, I was responding to many of the posts in this thread that argue that it doesn't matter how he's treated because of what he did. My point is, until it's proven, he must be treated as someone who is presumed innocent. That doesn't mean there's not reasonable justification for keeping him confined, and that there's not reasonable justification for keeping him isolated from other inmates at this point as well. But keeping him in a tiny cell with no human interaction BEFORE he's proven guilty...I'm not sure there's reasonable justification for THAT kind of treatment, particularly before conviction.
    Last edited by gaffneycatch; 07-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,970
    It's not like he is some little small white guy who will get repeatedly raped.
    I love how its assumed a small white guy is the poster child for prison rape. Classic.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    I love how its assumed a small white guy is the poster child for prison rape. Classic.
    Or that he is being protected from rape.

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,565
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I know why he's being incarcerated, and from what I read, the ACLU did not raise any issue with his incarceration.

    I also know why they're keeping him isolated -- and, as I said, I think they're probably doing what is appropriate at this point.

    Of course the ACLU has an agenda -- protecting civil liberties of Americans is their agenda, as they openly admit. And if he were locked up in a country club, he WOULD still be innocent until proven guilty. Duh...

    In my post, I was responding to many of the posts in this thread that argue that it doesn't matter how he's treated because of what he did. My point is, until it's proven, he must be treated as someone who is presumed innocent. That doesn't mean there's not reasonable justification for keeping him confined, and that there's not reasonable justification for keeping him isolated from other inmates at this point as well. But keeping him in a tiny cell with no human interaction BEFORE he's proven guilty...I'm not sure there's reasonable justification for THAT kind of treatment.
    In MY post I was responding too. Not getting the attitude.

    The idea that their goal is protecting the civil liberties of Americans sounds nice. But their agenda here is that they believe that incarceration should only be used as a last resort. Even if AH was found guilty.

    They want him out. Not as concerned with where he is. it's not happening.

    I have the right to disagree, publicly. Thats the idea that the ACLU was founded on almost 100 years ago.

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,440
    The ACLU: so gay, they're Pasts* fans.

  14. #34
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    In MY post I was responding too. Not getting the attitude.

    The idea that their goal is protecting the civil liberties of Americans sounds nice. But their agenda here is that they believe that incarceration should only be used as a last resort. Even if AH was found guilty.

    They want him out. Not as concerned with where he is. it's not happening.

    I have the right to disagree, publicly. Thats the idea that the ACLU was founded on almost 100 years ago.
    thought you were copping some attitude in your response because it seemed like you were arguing points that I'd already addressed (and agreed with)... if I misinterpreted, my bad. no problem with you disagreeing.

    seems like a pretty big leap to me to say that because the ACLU is raising concerns about the conditions he's being kept in, that they obviously want him out altogether. but I do agree that the they probably would say that incarceration BEFORE someone is convicted should only be used as a last resort. in fact, I think anyone who understands and endorses the concepts the American legal system is built on would say that. People are only held in jail before being tried and convicted because a judge determines there's no other option that would ensure public safety or prevent then from fleeing. It IS supposed to be seen as a last resort. If there was another way to ensure those two things, I believe that the ACLU (and hopefully the entire legal community) would be in favor of it. keeping him in jail now should not be to punish him, or to bow to public opinion. but I see no indication that the ACLU believes there is another option in this case...they just seem to believe that keeping him effectively in solitary confinement is not justified.

  15. #35
    Stop giving rights to people who kill, rape or molest people!! We need to kill more people for these crimes!!

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Stop giving rights to people who kill, rape or molest people!! We need to kill more people for these crimes!!
    as I was saying above...there are lots of people who just don't have any clue what makes this country's legal system great. (hint: taking away rights from people BEFORE they're convicted of a crime isn't part of it.)

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    as I was saying above...there are lots of people who just don't have any clue what makes this country's legal system great. (hint: taking away rights from people BEFORE they're convicted of a crime isn't part of it.)
    Wut? We cant just kill all suspects?

  18. #38
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,163
    not the authority's fault...

    had Hernandez NOT been a suspect in a gangland style murder, had NOT been a flight risk and had NOT been a one time member of the Don Krafteleone Patriot Way Organized Crime Syndicate, he probably could have gotten bail and not been in jail


    He made the choices, F him

  19. #39
    I haven't seen the other guys in his prison, but Hernandez is a beast. An NFL caliber athlete built like a tank with a murderous personality. My money is on him doing more of the pitching than catching....

  20. #40
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    I haven't seen the other guys in his prison, but Hernandez is a beast. An NFL caliber athlete built like a tank with a murderous personality. My money is on him doing more of the pitching than catching....
    The scariest person that I have ever met was 15. There wasn't anyone in that courtroom that wasn't terrified of him. He was already a sone cold predator. He would be about 40 today. If he isn't dead, I am sure he is still in prison.

    Hernandez will be in prison with guys like that. Guys who have decades in prison and decades to go. Guys who are are stone cold killers.

    He needs to watch himself or he will end up like Dahmer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us