Rookie

Defensive Line (Great Article)

Fun article on the defensive line, enjoy

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/con...tguid=k70K4Ts9

Jets D-line promising mix of talent, personalities
    Story user rating:

DENNIS WASZAK Jr.
    Published: Yesterday

In this July 27, 2012, photo, New York Jets defensive line coach Karl Dunbar directs his players on opening day of their NFL football training camp in Cortland, N.Y. Now in his second season with the Jets, Dunbar spent the previous six years in Minnesota and helped turn the Vikings' defensive line into arguably the best in the NFL with Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Ray Edwards and Jared Allen leading the way. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) - Antonio Garay used to scoot around San Diego in a little, red Smart Car with huge Hello Kitty faces decorating each door.

The funny photos of the former Charger and current New York Jets nose tackle squeezing his 6-foot-4, 320-pound frame into the attention-grabbing but environmentally friendly vehicle were all over the Internet a year ago.

But, new Jets teammate Quinton Coples had no idea - until he was shown the proof.

"Wow," a laughing Coples said, shaking his head in disbelief. "That says a lot right there. I need to speak to that guy about this, like ASAP!"

The 33-year-old Garay is one of the newest, most-experienced - and, perhaps, most fun-loving - members of the Jets' revamped and close-knit defensive line that is considered perhaps New York's biggest strength heading into training camp in a few weeks.

"I've been trying to keep a lot of that on the down-low," said a smiling Garay, in his second stint with the Jets after signing as a free agent in March following four seasons with the Chargers. "I've been downplaying the car and all that - because they told me that Quinton Coples is a big Pikachu fan, so I didn't want to steal any of his thunder."

Well, he no longer has the Hello Kitty car, but Garay still drives a Smart Car, a red and black one that defensive line coach Karl Dunbar says is "about the size of my desk."

All the jokes and jabs - such as Garay begging rookie first-rounder Sheldon Richardson to leave his T-shirt on at all times - have made for some lighthearted moments among the Jets' defensive linemen this offseason.

"You never know what you're going to get when you walk into that room because we have a bunch of comedians in there," Dunbar said. "It's a pretty good room, we're having fun and there's already a lot of camaraderie with that group."

That's even after allowing Mike DeVito and Sione Po'uha, both respected and productive team leaders, to leave as free agents.

There are rising stars such as Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson, the savvy and silly vet in Garay and youngsters such as Richardson, Kenrick Ellis and Damon Harrison looking to make their marks.

Dunbar is also interested in seeing how a few others such as Lanier Coleman, Jake McDonough, Junior Aumavae and Tevita Finau perform in camp in Cortland, N.Y.

"I'm excited about the group I have," Dunbar said. "I'm not going to try to sit here and downplay it."

Dunbar certainly knows talent when he sees it. Now in his second season on Rex Ryan's staff, Dunbar spent the previous six years in Minnesota and helped turn the Vikings' defensive line into arguably the best in the NFL with Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, Ray Edwards and Jared Allen leading the way.

Minnesota allowed the fewest rushing yards in the NFL during Dunbar's tenure there, and the Vikings were the first team since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970 to lead the league in rushing defense for three straight years. The Jets finished a disappointing 26th against the run in Dunbar's first year, but now the goal is to be No. 1.

"When we assessed our defensive line after the season was over and after free agency and we lost a couple of guys, we decided that, if you have big guys who can run, this defense could be phenomenal," Dunbar said. "I think we did that by adding Sheldon with the 13th pick and then adding Garay, I really like where we stand right now."

Added Harrison: "It's crazy, man. The athleticism of this line is so scary. This season is going to be fun."

And it all starts with Wilkerson, the team's first-round pick in 2011 who has consistently improved in his first two seasons and played well enough last season to garner Pro Bowl consideration. Individual success will come, Wilkerson believes, because of the way the defensive line expects to play.

"We know Coach Dunbar had dominant guys (in Minnesota) and we want to be dominant - not like them, but in our own way," Wilkerson said. "We want to be one of the most dominant fronts in the league."

Coples will be sliding from the defensive end spot he mostly played as a rookie last season to alternating between outside linebacker and the line. Last year's first-round pick led the team in sacks with a modest 5 1-2, and he and the Jets are expecting more this season.

"I'm just looking at getting to the quarterback and I think that's what this team looks for from me," Coples said. "And I want to make sure that each and every day I'm working at that, whether it's playing D-line or outside linebacker."

While sacks are the sexy statistic, Dunbar insists he doesn't get caught up in the numbers. Last season, the Jets finished tied for 25th in the NFL with 30 sacks, but Dunbar - as Ryan has often said - believes the key to a dominant defense is controlling the run and putting pressure on the quarterback.

"Everybody loves the sack, but you can't get them every down, every day," Dunbar said. "The thing we work on as a team and understand is that we're going to be disruptive and if the sacks come, they come. But we can't get frustrated just because the media is saying we're not getting sacks. If we can force your quarterback into bad decisions with our big guys, I'm just as happy."

Dunbar and the players also think talk about whether the Jets primarily play a 3-4 defensive front or a 4-3 is misguided. To them, sometimes what you see isn't necessarily an indicator of the team's approach.

"Truth is, we play different fronts and everybody on our D-line can play multiple positions," Wilkerson said. "So it doesn't really matter with that 3-4 or 4-3 stuff. Me, Snacks (Harrison) and Q (Coples) - we all can play any position."

It's that mix of athletic big men up front that the Jets think will make it tougher this season for opponents.

"They have to respect all four of us, or all three, or whoever's down there at the end of the day," Coples said. "That's what gives us the potential to be great, and that's what we're looking forward to."

Dunbar believes this Jets group has "the potential to be better" than the ones he had in Minnesota. But he knows there's plenty of work still to be done - beyond all the laughs.

"Bill Parcells used to say it all the time: 'You haven't done it yet,' and this group hasn't done it yet," Dunbar said. "We have to get out on the field and do it, and then maybe 10 years from now, we can look back and say, 'Yeah, this was a pretty good group.'

"We're in the position where we have some really nice pieces and now the pieces have to show up."

This is where the 2013 NY Jets season starts.
    Cro, Wilson, Milliner will benefit from the pressure the front puts on the opposing QB.
    Field position will be huge for our new offense, much easier to have a balanced offense from your own 40 then your own 16.
    While most Jet fans are already whipping themselves, I'll wait to see what our Oline can accomplish with RBs like Ivory & Goodsen, and how their success can shake our TEs & WRs loose.
    I just have a strange feeling that this group of misfits & castoffs will come together in Cortland in an all 53 way.
    It's all about health & QB play. Marty is one of the most important cogs in the wheel. Lets hope he's a miracle worker.
    Cut the TOs down & we have a chance in every game.

I'd also like to point out that the Olines in the AFC east are not great.
    Brady makes his line look better because of his great awareness.
    Miami has a lot of changes at the important LT position.
    Bills line stinks.
    Great year to have a deep & nasty Dline.

Yep, we got some high expectations for this DL now!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Hopefully in week 2, 5 or 6 of our front seven pay a visit to Tammy in the pocket and get rid of her

LORD HEAR OUR PRAYER

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Hopefully in week 2, 5 or 6 of our front seven pay a visit to Tammy in the pocket and get rid of her

LORD HEAR OUR PRAYER
    I can't wait to see what Rex can do to minimize Bradys looks.
    When they had AH, a healthy Gronk, Welker, they were virtually unstoppable.
    They also seem to weather Oline injuries very well.
    Believe me when I tell you, it's harder for Cro to defend Welker than it will be for him with the taller Amendola.
    Without AH & a banged up Gronk, our LBs & Safeties will be free to roam & force the issue of applying pressure to Brady.
    With Richardson we should be able to get inside pressure & force that pansy into a blitzing Harris when he has no one open.
    Rex will be back coaching his Azz off. More aggressive, because you can do a lot when your boys up front can't be blocked.
    Milliner with his speed will look like he was shot out of a cannon with a corner blitz & I can definitely see Davis using his speed on some delayed blitzes.
    I truly believe that the 2013 NY Jets will be a top 3 defense in the AFC.
    I'm not a Koolaid drinker, I just look at the potential of that Dline & if Dunbar can get anything out of Snacks, Richardson turns out to be the real deal, Kendrick makes a move, Wilk gets better each year, Garay can spell these guys, Barnes coming off the edge on 3rd downs, a slimmer healthier Harris, speedy Davis, top 3 corner in Cro, and the kicker is if we get good play from the young safeties, look out!

Lots of 1st round picks on both sides of the line now. I don't know why some folks here are throwing in the towel. A great deal of NFL games are won up front

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Lots of 1st round picks on both sides of the line now. I don't know why some folks here are throwing in the towel. A great deal of NFL games are won up front
    +1
    Thats why a team like the Lions with all of that offense only won 4 games.
    I keep telling people, this Jet team is a gonna punch a few teams that have weaker Olines right in the face.
    And if they can somehow get Rex a lead & he starts to smell blood, Rex will let the Dawggs out! That one was for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    +1
    Thats why a team like the Lions with all of that offense only won 4 games.
    I keep telling people, this Jet team is a gonna punch a few teams that have weaker Olines right in the face.
    And if they can somehow get Rex a lead & he starts to smell blood, Rex will let the Dawggs out! That one was for you.
    SF

Jets Insider VIP
    As always, the Jets will need to rely on their D first and foremost to keep them competitive. It's the only reason the Jets have still been in a position to win games when the 4th quarter comes around during a 6-10 season. Even with anemic offensive plays, the Jets have often found themselves down by only a TD against pretty good teams.

We need to get the running game going. It's the ultimate crutch for this team. I have high confidence in our D and none in our offensive passing game. The Jets rushing attack will determine whether they put up 6 wins or 9.

Don't know if they'll reach their potential this season, but once they do, it will be special.