Thread: Matt Snell ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Kelly, who is that delightful chap (right) in your sig?

I was at Snell's first game for the Jets. His signing by the Jets when he was also drafted by the Giants was the first big step in the Jets getting respect in NY. Snell was an awesome player. He could do it all. Run, catch, and block as well as any FB who ever played the game. As a matter of fact on passing plays when the Jets had problems at RT with Sam Walton they would move Snell up to have the primary blocking responsibility for the DE.

Namath's publicity overshadowed Snell his whole career. He deserves more respect from the masses.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 07-09-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Bewildered Beast

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    That's a great freakin pic. Any real Jets fan digs that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Matt Snell is another perfect example of Jet players who had they stayed healthy or kept playing would be in the HOF. He, along with Sauer and Toon were as good as anyone at the time. I was at the game in Buffalo in 70 when he tore up his knee on a rotten field and that was pretty much it. A great back.

Quote Originally Posted by jets27-23 View Post
    Matt Snell is another perfect example of Jet players who had they stayed healthy or kept playing would be in the HOF. He, along with Sauer and Toon were as good as anyone at the time. I was at the game in Buffalo in 70 when he tore up his knee on a rotten field and that was pretty much it. A great back.
    Wasn't it his achillies that he tore?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Wasn't it his achillies that he tore?
    You know I think you are right! The knee was maybe preseason of 71?! I'm getting old! I remember the pain he was in and you just knew he was badly hurt. Thanks for the correction. 1970 the season that coulda been...

Quote Originally Posted by jets27-23 View Post
    You know I think you are right! The knee was maybe preseason of 71?! I'm getting old! I remember the pain he was in and you just knew he was badly hurt. Thanks for the correction. 1970 the season that coulda been...
    Interesting read on Snell.

http://www.jetnation.com/jetswiki/index.php/Snell,_Matt

This shocked me here.
    "Snell was named to the Ohio State Football All-Century Team in 2000, as a defensive end."

I mean I knew the Giants drafted him to play D but the all century team at Ohio State? That's saying something.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    That's a great freakin pic. Any real Jets fan digs that.
    name...Boozer