Thread: Mock Article

Practice Squad

Mock Article

I always wanted to be a sports journalist when I was a kid so this is my shot at it:

PATRIOTS REVEAL GRIT AGAIN AS VICTIMS OF HERNANDEZ'S DUPING

by DBarrett=all<3 or possibly Dan Shaughnessy

In the last several years, the majority of US citizens have felt pangs of sorrow as the New England Patriots have been victims of various forms of injustice. Bill Belichick was cast as a villain in the eyes of the world for his role in Spygate despite the fact that he did not even know that he was breaking a rule. In response, his team rallied around the beleaguered coach, winning every game in the regular season with relative ease. They advanced to the Super Bowl where Asante Samuel wrested defeat from the jaws of victory by dropping a game-clinching interception. This team belongs in the annals of history among the great teams in all of sports, but instead they shall forever top lists of "The Best Teams Never to Win a Championship."

Justice had not been served. The Patriots continued to show grit and class by winning the division each year after the Super Bowl defeat in which Tom Brady was able to compete, only to suffer equally unfair treatment from Lady Luck. Gronkowski sprains an ankle. Ray Rice lucks his way into an 80-yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage. Shonn Greene scores a rushing touchdown. Shonn Greene!

All this suffering would cause fans from many bases to jump ship. While it is true that many people who were Patriots fans in 2007 now support the Ravens, Patriots fans generally share the resolve of the hooded warrior at the helm of the ship and his first mate Tom Brady. It hasn't been easy, but they have stayed the course.

Now another cruel blow. "I've been duped, and our whole organization has been duped," owner Bob Kraft said of the Aaron Hernandez murder arrest. "We made a mistake and are facing it head on."

It summarizes life for the Patriots in the past several years. Aaron Hernandez, like Asante Samuel before him, has swindled the Patriots from what was rightfully theirs. He did not swindle a game, but rather the righteous glory of moral rectitude, which the Patriots had built for over a decade using the moral compass of the Patriot Way. That is gone now, taken by Hernandez, who duped not just Kraft but also the good-natured, classy, superior teammates he was privileged to enjoy.

However, just as the Patriots rallied in the past, they will rally again. Notice that Kraft said he is facing his mistake head on. In saying so he has made clear that the Patriots' determination has risen to the front again, just as it did in 2007. They will rally around all that is good about the organization; namely, every other person in the building.

Most Americans are deeply saddened at the Patriots' making so many positive contributions to sports and society and yet having to suffer so unjustly. They shall overcome. They will bring smiles to the faces of the public, themselves, but most of all to the community of sportswriters when their success vindicates them and brings glorious light once more to the Patriot Way.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

What's your day job?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    What's your day job?
    I just quit it.

love it.

Mr. Kraft is already receiving kudos for the classy way he is handling this.

so glad I root for such a class act.

Well done. I enjoyed it.

Now you can write a similar article about the Jets from the NY media's point of view filled with negativity and contempt. Oh wait, that happens pretty much every day.