Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Saying the N-Word Worse than Sexual Misconduct?

Why is Saying the N-Word Worse than Sexual Misconduct?

I noticed something getting alot of coverage yesterday.

In New York, Elliot Spitzer, the low-approval former Governor and Prostitution lover, is back on the scene, trying to run for NY Comptroller.

If he gets on the baollot, apparantly he'll be running against.....the woman who ran the Whores Spitzer used, i.e. the former Madame.

In addition, Anthony "send My Wiener to underage girls" Wiener is back as well, and running for office.

Bill Clinton is one of the most beloved figures in America.

All three engaged in questionable sexual conduct while in publci office (at the least) or sexual crimes at the worst.

Yet all three are back, being heavily supported in the media, and embraced by Liberal democrats.

Yet, at the same time, there is acrusade, a whichunt, against Paula "Butter on Everything" Deen for having said the N-word once (a word used a million times a day in Hip Hop and Blacl culture), and being less that sensative about slavery 30 years ago in the south.

Those doing the hunting are in many cases the same folks who praised former KKK Grand Wizard and WV Senator Byrd to no end at his passing, a man who surely used the N-word a few times in his life as well......

What I don't get is the double standard, and why a word, no matter how hateful or ignorant, is worse that say, sexual predation while trusted in public office?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Well you wont like it but....

Sexual misconduct is bad behavior but it isn't "against" an entire race. It doesn't "seem" mean spirited...its just bad behavior. There is no group to offend. You are just acting like an idiot...and we seem to forgive that. Maybe because we've all been an idiot at one time or another?

I think its all ridiculous, but that it in a nutshell.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I noticed something getting alot of coverage yesterday.

In New York, Elliot Spitzer, the low-approval former Governor and Prostitution lover, is back on the scene, trying to run for NY Comptroller.

If he gets on the baollot, apparantly he'll be running against.....the woman who ran the Whores Spitzer used, i.e. the former Madame.

In addition, Anthony "send My Wiener to underage girls" Wiener is back as well, and running for office.

Bill Clinton is one of the most beloved figures in America.

All three engaged in questionable sexual conduct while in publci office (at the least) or sexual crimes at the worst.

Yet all three are back, being heavily supported in the media, and embraced by Liberal democrats.

Yet, at the same time, there is acrusade, a whichunt, against Paula "Butter on Everything" Deen for having said the N-word once (a word used a million times a day in Hip Hop and Blacl culture), and being less that sensative about slavery 30 years ago in the south.

Those doing the hunting are in many cases the same folks who praised former KKK Grand Wizard and WV Senator Byrd to no end at his passing, a man who surely used the N-word a few times in his life as well......

What I don't get is the double standard, and why a word, no matter how hateful or ignorant, is worse that say, sexual predation while trusted in public office?
    You are making a false comparison. Its not the N-Bomb v. sexual misconduct, its a function of time.

Paula Dean may very well resurrect her career (no guarantee, but its possible). But, she needs to be out of the public eye for a while and start building it back up.

A good PR advisor will probably help as well.

I don't disagree that Paula Dean probably got a raw deal, but no one liked her to begin with. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Edit to add: Its not only liberals, as you make it out to be....Mark Sanford resurrected his career fairly well.

Just a function of time.
    Last edited by crasherino; 07-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know the answer to that question but what I will say is the fact that Weiner and Spitzer actually feel like they could step back into politics is indicative of where we are headed as a society.

We should really demand more. Our standards have gotten embarrassingly low. And I understand that politicians have been screwing around for years but these guys are actually capitalizing on it and we allow them to do it. That's the difference.

All Pro
    Libs aka the thought police have it wrong...as usual

A slur uttered against an individual is now a publicly broadcast slander against a whole race

Behavior with longer term repercussions < momentary insults

Might as well hop in a time machine an' find the womyn who told me not to expect a thank you for holding the door open for her and get her brought up on hate crime charges...no forget that, it was uttered by a feminazi against a hurtfully oppressive male so it was a public service

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Well you wont like it but....

Sexual misconduct is bad behavior but it isn't "against" an entire race. It doesn't "seem" mean spirited...its just bad behavior. There is no group to offend. You are just acting like an idiot...and we seem to forgive that. Maybe because we've all been an idiot at one time or another?

I think its all ridiculous, but that it in a nutshell.
    Women aren't offended by sexual misconduct?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Depends on who is committing the misconduct. If they are "on the same team" then they don't care. Pretty much the same for racist comments.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Not whore whose running for office Im guessin.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Just a function of time.
    Tell that to Mel Gibson and Michael Richards? Insulting some groups clearly hold a far larger "time factor" than others, amongst all the other selectivity and double standards involved.

Look at it another way, how long did President Obama have to stay out of the light for being a bigot against Homosexuals (as people against Gay marriage are very often characterized)?

Not a milisecond. He changed his view and done was done.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Tell that to Mel Gibson and Michael Richards? Insulting some groups clearly hold a far larger "time factor" than others, amongst all the other selectivity and double standards involved.

Look at it another way, how long did President Obama have to stay out of the light for being a bigot against Homosexuals (as people against Gay marriage are very often characterized)?

Not a milisecond. He changed his view and done was done.
    Michael Richards didn't have a career to lose. More likely, he needed to do something to become relevant again.

And I'm not sure exactly of the chronology and details of Mel Gibson incidents, but I'm pretty sure there were more than one. I do know that Trent Lott regained his Chairmanship after being forced to step down after his Strom Thurmond comments.

Hall Of Fame
    Lets see what the woman and the minorities in this forum think about this topic. It's very interesting and thought provoking, Fish.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Not whore whose running for office Im guessin.
    back on the sauce I see

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    back on the sauce I see
    you dont know my pain

Michael Richards didn't have a career to lose.
    Right, the funniest guy fron Sienfeld had no career to lose....

I do know that Trent Lott regained his Chairmanship after being forced to step down after his Strom Thurmond comments.
    Which is a good example of what I mean, given his comment was twisted beyond belief to be racist and never used the N-word.

A better example is from VA. Geaorge Allen.

A possible Presidential career ended......by a crowd plant who recorded him saying "Macaca", the most obscure "racist" word in the english language.

Notice, Allen tried to come back only recently, and failed hard.

We'll see if Wiener, Spitzer and Hillary Clinton (whose scandal-issues has scandal-issues) find such problems in their respective returns to the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Lets see what the woman and the minorities in this forum think about this topic. It's very interesting and thought provoking, Fish.
    Sadly under-represented in here tbqh. I think as a rather small community, we could use a hell of alot more of their viewpoint in this white-man-sausage-fest.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Right, the funniest guy fron Sienfeld had no career to lose....

Which is a good example of what I mean, given his comment was twisted beyond belief to be racist and never used the N-word.

A better example is from VA. Geaorge Allen.

A possible Presidential career ended......by a crowd plant who recorded him saying "Macaca", the most obscure "racist" word in the english language.

Notice, Allen tried to come back only recently, and failed hard.

We'll see if Wiener, Spitzer and Hillary Clinton (whose scandal-issues has scandal-issues) find such problems in their respective returns to the spotlight.
    1. Michael Richards did absolutely nothing after Seinfeld. The Michael Richards Show was an unmitigated disaster and years prior to his stand up outburst. At that time, yes, Richards had no career to lose.

2. George Allen won the Republican primary that's making it back, I'd say. Better than being a candidate for Comptroller. No one is guaranteed anything and Spitzer and Weiner are a far cry from regaining their former stature. And besides, Allen wasn't forced to step down - his "obscure, racist" comment merely led him to lose a closely contested election. Allen's mouth got him into trouble - wasn't the first time.

3. Lott had his comment put in the spotlight perhaps more than it should, but if you're being honest, it was a really stupid, ignorant thing to say. I don't think now (and didn't then) that he should have had to step down, but sh!t gets sensationalized - welcome to America.

4. The American public loves to watch public actors go down in flames. But, provided they are appropriately contrite, they usually are allowed second chances. JMO, (and much to my chagrin - I just find her really annoying), we will see Paula Dean again. Just give it some time.

5. Notwithstanding my last sentence from #4, my wife uses Paula Dean's bread pudding recipe and its fuking delicious.

6. Imus. Just came to me. Perfect example of what we're talking about. I'm pretty sure he's back on the air now. Not gonna debate whether he should have been kicked off the air (we'd probably agree he was the victim of a slow news cycle), but he did his pentance and got another chance.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    It's just a word and it can apply to all walks of life.

All Pro
    You are making a false comparison. Its not the N-Bomb v. sexual misconduct, its a function of time.
    +1

Also worth mentioning, the biggest factor in these examples is not a racial slur vs. sexual misconduct, it's a difference in the reacting entities. In some cases, the subjects are dealing directly with individuals/constituents while in other cases, the subjects are dealing with corporate employers and/or sponsors.

All League
    Only in NY would two perverts be elected to office.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Only in NY would two perverts be elected to office.
    Mark Sanford and David Vitter say hi.