Thread: London Array wind farm opened by Prime Minister

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like

London Array wind farm opened by Prime Minister

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23183868

One of the world's largest offshore wind farms has been opened by Prime Minister David Cameron off the east Kent coast.

The London Array has been built in the Thames Estuary - 10 miles north of Ramsgate.

Its backers say the 175 turbines will produce enough electricity to power nearly 500,000 homes.

Mr Cameron said the wind farm was a "big win for Britain" and proved the UK could deliver large-scale projects.

The last turbine was installed in December and the wind farm is now exporting all its power to the national grid.

It has been predicted that the wind farm will lead to a cut in CO2 emissions of more than 900,000 tonnes a year.

'Great place to invest'

Mr Cameron said: "This project has been built by some of the bravest seaman, some of the most talented engineers, some of the hardest workers, and it's going to continue to bring benefits to people in Kent for many, many years to come.

"It's a very big win for Britain. Sometimes people wonder, 'Can we in the West do big projects any more? Can we do the big investments? Isn't that all happening somewhere else in the east and south of our world?'.

"I think this demonstrates Britain is a great place to invest."

The London Array was a joint project between wind farm developers Dong Energy, power and gas firm E.On and renewable energy firm Masdar.

Andy Atkins, who is Friends of the Earth's executive director, said the London Array was an energy scheme Britain could be "proud of".

He said: "The UK has some of the best renewable energy resources in Europe, but ministers aren't doing nearly enough to develop this huge potential and create thousands of new jobs."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fortunately the English have rather small country. We have a huge expansive country and it won't be viable for us for decades.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I heard the turnbines were immediately struck by a FLOck of Seagulls.... and were ratcheted shut by blond hairs.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Save the planet! Just think of the aminals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4jLk5axRQE

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Fortunately the English have rather small country. We have a huge expansive country and it won't be viable for us for decades.
    Yeah. So lets not even try.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Yeah. So lets not even try.
    If we put some really big ones next to Krafts "we been duped" mouth, we could power up the Eastern seaboard.

-

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    True but the energy market is world wide and if the UK needs a little less then there will be a little more supply and prices should go down.

Also, this will prove or disprove peoples fears of wind mills at sea. awfully nice of the Brits to put this to the test for us.

PS, if you were to drive on rt 80 all the way to the west coast... along the way you would see many windmills. As you said "...We have a huge expansive country..."
    Last edited by Buster; 07-10-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just what I want to see when I am out on my boat is a multi-million dollar windmill farm with nothing spinning.

Wind is an overpriced pipe dream. Get over it.

Lets focus on making solar power cheaper and drilling oil more safely and improving emissions.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just what I want to see when I am out on my boat is a multi-million dollar windmill farm with nothing spinning.

Wind is an overpriced pipe dream. Get over it.

Lets focus on making solar power cheaper and drilling oil more safely and improving emissions.
    Why not both?

even if it does ruin your view from your boat.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Why not both?

even if it does ruin your view from your boat.
    "There's no bigger shmuck in the world than a Jew with a boat." - Jackie Mason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    "There's no bigger shmuck in the world than a Jew with a boat." - Jackie Mason.
    LOL!! Love that routine. Mine sleeps 8

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah windmills off of Nantucket and Malibu just to see the look on the yuppies faces. They so love the environment but change it by them.