Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacific Rim

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Hmmm, it's getting good reviews online (real reviewers). I was gonna take my kid.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    I know - seriously - I got home last night and looked it up on IMDB thinking 'haven't I been hearing good stuff about this??" It was seriously puzzling. If you see it - please add to the thread - I'd be very curious to know what someone else thought.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    They understood that its not meant to be high brow cinema.
    Believe me I was not disappointed that it wasn't high-brow. It's just a shocking mess of a movie. Did you find anything besides the fight scenes (few that they are) interesting in any way, shape or form?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Holy shart - worst movie I've seen in a long time. Stay far, far away.

The last movie I walked out of was in 1990 (Problem Child) with John Ritter. I lasted almost 80 minutes in on this one . . .

I'm fine with big-budget blockbusters but this one is miserable. It's a messy pantomime of what an "american big budget action thriller' should be. It's full of people you won't recognize saying lines that you won't care about or even understand.

If you happen to recall all the sparks that didn't fly in the super-awkward 'romance' between Sofia Coppala and Andy Garcia in Godfather 3 - then you'll have a sense of how stilted the main 'love story' is here. The Japanese lead is perhaps the least-sexy female lead since Sarah Jessica Parker.

The plot isn't. There's some backstory for sure, the setup - but then that's it.

Charlie Day is okay in it. But OMFG was the rest of it awful. Save yourself two hours of your life that you'll sorely want back afterwards.

Oh and the score - that grating, miserable score - it's like a sleep-function on an alarm clock that you can never turn off. You keep hoping it will stop, but it never does . . .
    Problem Child was awesome

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Problem Child was awesome
    Well then I have the perfect film to recommend . . .

(problem child 2)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

E

Jets Insider VIP
    People don't go to these types of movies for plot or witty dialogue, to think this movie would be any more than that would be folly.

I saw The Conjuring.

$12.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    People don't go to these types of movies for plot or witty dialogue, to think this movie would be any more than that would be folly.
    Exactly

If you're going into this expecting anything more than mindless action, then you have only yourself to blame.

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Insider VIP
    Bend her over and we can change the title back

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Bend her over and we can change the title back
    And that would be "Pacific Trim"

HEYO!

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Well then I have the perfect film to recommend . . .

(problem child 2)
    That movie was a beast
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 07-30-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    This movie was a 5 outta 10er.

I admire Del Toro for attempting to make a big summer movie with no big stars but the script just wasn't strong enough. Extremely run of the mill "sh*ts coming out of the ocean we gotta make big robots to fight them" plot you've seen a thousand times already. The fight scenes were average you could see 1000X better Giant Robot fights scenes in Neon Genesis Evangelion. They should just make a movie based on that anime.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Exactly

If you're going into this expecting anything more than mindless action, then you have only yourself to blame.
    No - not everything mindless is just 'mindless fun' - sometimes it's just really poorly done garbage.

And to everyone else - if you've been missing unattractive female leads since Linda Hunt in 1981's YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY - well you're gonna luv PACIFIC RIM.