Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez says he's going to win the Jets' QB job

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Thank you for posting that article and I agree with what you wrote. My take on it that the Jets want Sanchez to win otherwise they would try to trade or sign a more experienced QB when Garrard retired. What competition? Sanchez has an open shot at the job!! McElroy and Simms are not being given a remote chance to do anything. Its been said that Rex hates McElroy because he was too outspoken. Why not just cut the guy and maximize his chance of hooking on with a team that will use him. The stupidity of it is that REX wants us to believe that its an even competition between Sanchez and Smith. He knows darn well that Smith is at least a year away from being able to start! If it is even the Jets are in real trouble!

Once again he has handed the job to his guy Sanchez!
    Where has anyone said that Rex hate McElroy because of his mouth? Thats pure nonsense. If he did he never would have given him the start last year.

And it's obvious that the Jets want Smith to win the job, no one is pulling for Sanchez in the FO.

Simms? Why do people bring him up? He'll be lucky and happy to win the 3rd sting job.

The stupidity isn't that Rex wants you to believe anything, it's not part of the job. The stupidity is when fans say someone who they've never seen in uniform on the field is a year away.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    My take on it that the Jets want Sanchez to win otherwise Sanchez has an open shot at the job!!

The key to the above statement is "YOUR TAKE " which is totally clouded by your bias towards Rex

McElroy and Simms are not being given a remote chance to do anything. Its been said that Rex hates McElroy because he was too outspoken.

An by whom has it been said, Rex had every opportunity to bury GMac and if he hated him so much, he would have given Tebow the start over him just to spite the kid.

The stupidity of it is that REX wants us to believe that its an even competition between Sanchez and Smith.

With this statement you prove my above quote about your bias towards Rex. I remind you once again about those last few games last year, where Rex looked so disgusted with Mark, he, to quote a former Jets coach, " he would have cut his a$$ right on the field"!

He knows darn well that Smith is at least a year away from being able to start!

Which is why they took the chance and brought in Gerrard this year. Even before they drafted Geno, just to foster the competition requirement instilled by Idzik. I also remind you again, Rex love Mark so much, they went out and tried to bring Manning in at QB the year before.

Once again, Rex is about winning, yes he supports his players, sometimes to far. Yet after last season, if Mark starts he will be on a very short leash. Mark has cashed in all his chips with Rex Take it to the bank if it comes to it , Rex will have GMac ready to start rather then leave Mark in to repeat his performance from last year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for posting that article and I agree with what you wrote. My take on it that the Jets want Sanchez to win otherwise they would try to trade or sign a more experienced QB when Garrard retired. What competition? Sanchez has an open shot at the job!! McElroy and Simms are not being given a remote chance to do anything. Its been said that Rex hates McElroy because he was too outspoken. Why not just cut the guy and maximize his chance of hooking on with a team that will use him. The stupidity of it is that REX wants us to believe that its an even competition between Sanchez and Smith. He knows darn well that Smith is at least a year away from being able to start! If it is even the Jets are in real trouble!

Hearing Sanchez talk as if he has won already disturbs me also, however Rex can't afford to hand the reigns to his b1tch this time or he will be a D-cord somewhere next year.

I still believe we have genuine competition here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Hearing Sanchez talk as if he has won already disturbs me also, however Rex can't afford to hand the reigns to his b1tch this time or he will be a D-cord somewhere next year.

I still believe we have genuine competition here.
    I think Sanchez needs to grow up. He's so immature when it comes to adversity. He showed some signs of strength, but the last two years acts like a brat when things don't go his way. Let's hope his head is on straight this year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I think Sanchez needs to grow up. He's so immature when it comes to adversity. He showed some signs of strength, but the last two years acts like a brat when things don't go his way. Let's hope his head is on straight this year.
    His demeanour stinks, his immaturity certainly translates onto the field, he just saps the life out of the offence when things go wrong.

Shame he's so confident with his mouth, because I'm yet to see this confidence come out on game day.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith will be the starting QB of the NYJ in September when they open the season.

Tannenboob drafted Buttfumble, Tannenboob got fired because of it

Idzik drafted Smith, Idzik doesn't want to see Buttfumble take HIS GM opportunity down in flames TOO

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Geno Smith will be the starting QB of the NYJ in September when they open the season.

Tannenboob drafted Buttfumble, Tannenboob got fired because of it

Idzik drafted Smith, Idzik doesn't want to see Buttfumble take HIS GM opportunity down in flames TOO
    I for one hope your right.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    IN ADDITION

Idzik has stated from the beginning that his mission is to build a long term contending Jet team for the future primarily by not peeing away draft picks for big splashes (See Teblow) and treating each pick as a precious asset

Geno Smith is part of that long term effort

Buttfumble6 is only around in 2013 because of his horrendous contract and will be released at the end of the season (unless some really dumb team like the Raiders can be found to trade something for him)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Experience wins out in the NFL.
    Though I've had it with Sanchez TOs & awful demeanor, I'm in the camp that he wins the starters job & is on the shortest leash in his career.
    Rex & MM will not let Sanchez bring them down.
    Once they make the switch, the future will start at that moment, they are hoping that Sanchez shows enough to be traded.
    Best scenario for all of us is that their are a rash of QB injuries & someone gets desperate or Mark plays just good enough to allow us to get a draft pick for him.
    This is QB starved league & there is always a team that feels with a new start, they can turn a QB around.
    Take away the TOs & he's better than at least 4-5 QBs in the league right now, couple that with the inevitable couple of injuries & you've got a desperate GM that have no alternatives & you get a deal.
    Win, win for the Jets brass.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you're right, Steven. I just get the feeling that the CS might be willing to let Sanchez start and get slaughtered while the green rook sits and learns. Hopefully he'll show enough in preseason to get the nod, but Nacho might win the job due to experience. Really am hoping you're right, though. I can't stomach watching Intchez further his reputation as a BUST for another year.

WE KNOW GENO!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have got to believe Idzik wants Geno to start with him being his pick, I'm not buying this "Geno ain't ready" nonsense either.

Tannehill coped well being thrown in at the deep end with no weapons etc, Manuel looks likely to start for the bills, so why can't Geno take the bull by the horns Rex style and get out there.

Sanchez is destined to fail in this system, quick thinking, accuracy, going through reads etc is everything Sanchez can't do.

Geno seems smart, can make all the throws, has good accuracy, protects the ball, let his footwork develop on the job, lets roll with the hot hand to get this rebuild truly underway.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    if they want Smith to sit and learn how to throw interceptions, fumble away games, walk off the field after innumerable three and outs with a hangdog look and sulk on the sidelines if he is removed from the game, then Sanchez is the guy to teach him the way

Otherwise, they do what the Seahawks did last year with their third round pick... sit down the expensive and worthless contract and PUT HIM OUT THERE TO begin the future

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Quote "although it became clear that Sanchez outplayed Smith in the spring, culminating with last month's minicamp."

Had anyone besides Cimini heard that was the case?

My understanding was the WR's played like $hit for both QB's ... and that they both were equally underwhelming in mini-camp
    The one practice I attended that was not the case. They seemed pretty even, which does not bode well for Sanchez. You expect to see improvement from a rookie, you don't expect to see as much improvement from a player going into his 5th season.

Sanchez is likely to start the season just because Smith is adjusting to playing in a pro style offense for the first time in a couple of years (as well as being a rookie). I would be surprised if Sanchez starts all 16 games this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    You have got to believe Idzik wants Geno to start with him being his pick, I'm not buying this "Geno ain't ready" nonsense either.

Tannehill coped well being thrown in at the deep end with no weapons etc, Manuel looks likely to start for the bills, so why can't Geno take the bull by the horns Rex style and get out there.

Sanchez is destined to fail in this system, quick thinking, accuracy, going through reads etc is everything Sanchez can't do.

Geno seems smart, can make all the throws, has good accuracy, protects the ball, let his footwork develop on the job, lets roll with the hot hand to get this rebuild truly underway.
    Yes, but didn't Tannehill have his college coach as his OC running the same offense he ran in college? I would think that would help a ton as opposed to being thrown into a relatively new offense for Geno.

If Geno shows up to camp with the offense down (for the most part) and has a good showing in preseason snaps, then by all means go with him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Yes, but didn't Tannehill have his college coach as his OC running the same offense he ran in college? I would think that would help a ton as opposed to being thrown into a relatively new offense for Geno.

If Geno shows up to camp with the offense down (for the most part) and has a good showing in preseason snaps, then by all means go with him.
    I'm not sure whether the fins OC was Tannehill's coach in college to be honest, ill check, and your right that certainly would of made the transition easier.

That said I still feel Geno can get this offence locked down come week 1.

Everyone keeps talking about about How difficult it will be for a rookie to learn this system, what gives everyone the confidence that Sanchez can lock down the system? Yes he's a 5 year vet but this system is tailor made to exploit Sanchez's weaknesses.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, RG3 and Weeden's college coaches didn't come with them to the NFL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just think the experience factor favors Sanchez in regards to being named the week 1 starter. That said, perhaps the fact that a 5th year vet wasn't able to separate himself from a green rook in OTAs lends itself to Geno winning the job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, RG3 and Weeden's college coaches didn't come with them to the NFL
    I was speaking in reference to Tannehill.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was speaking in reference to Tannehill.
    I know

you were right about Tannehill

my point is a bunch of other rookie quarterbacks started who didn't have their college coaches or their college systems along for the ride

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just think the experience factor favors Sanchez in regards to being named the week 1 starter. That said, perhaps the fact that a 5th year vet wasn't able to separate himself from a green rook in OTAs lends itself to Geno winning the job.
    And the fact Rex knows Sanchez plays 10 times worse in real games than he does in practice. But no harm in giving geno a few more weeks to get ready if he needs it.. Coaches will make the right call, Rex sure wont be favoring Sanchez anymore.