Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez says he's going to win the Jets' QB job

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I know

you were right about Tannehill

my point is a bunch of other rookie quarterbacks started who didn't have their college coaches or their college systems along for the ride
    True, but are we sure Geno can turn out like the consensus 1 & 2 overall picks? I'm not saying he can't, I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself. Hell, he could turn into Tannehill and he'd be an improvement over Intchez.

I'm really anxious to see how he fairs in preseason. Don't care too much about preseason points, but I wanna see the footwork, pocket presence, accuracy, and arm strength against NFL Ds. If he shows up, put him in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    And the fact Rex knows Sanchez plays 10 times worse in real games than he does in practice. But no harm in giving geno a few more weeks to get ready if he needs it.. Coaches will make the right call, Rex sure wont be favoring Sanchez anymore.
    Yeah, I think the look of Rex after Tennessee last year said it all in regards to his feelings about Mark.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Pennington with a stronger arm and durability would have been something to see...

still even with his limitations, Pennington was light years ahead of Sanchez.
    Penny was always a guy who you wanted playing if you had a lead, but never the guy you'd think could win a game when trailing in the 4th quarter. So far Sanchez's main credit - at least in his earlier years - was his ability to lead comebacks (usually needed because of sub par play earlier in the game).

I think at this stage, and with this team, I'd rather have Penny than Sanchez, but i still wouldn't be thinking SuperBowl. Playoffs maybe. As long as Penny didn't get hurt again.

To me, the clutch argument can no longer be made with,Sanchez. We needed him to be clutch in Tennessee to keep us in the playoff hunt. What happened? 5 turnovers, one of which when we had the Tits on the ropes, another after an absolutely gloriously bad punt that put us in their territory. Whatever clutch ability he had back then, it set sail like a Nacho pass over a receiver's head.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    If Geno shows up to camp with the offense down (for the most part) and has a good showing in preseason snaps, then by all means go with him.
    I disagreed with Morniwheg's initial idea of trying to select a starting QB in June, for this very reason. Neither QB deserves to be handed the job.

But if Geno is one of those quick studies who is going to come back in July with the playbook digested and mechanics improved since mini-camp, then no question I'll be pulling for him to come out as the starter.

True, but are we sure Geno can turn out like the consensus 1 & 2 overall picks? I'm not saying he can't, I just don't want to get too far ahead of myself. Hell, he could turn into Tannehill and he'd be an improvement over Intchez.

I'm really anxious to see how he fairs in preseason. Don't care too much about preseason points, but I wanna see the footwork, pocket presence, accuracy, and arm strength against NFL Ds. If he shows up, put him in.
    Another thing, everybody says we will be garbage if Geno starts and cuts his teeth, didn't we go to the championship game with a rookie in 09 all be it with more talent around him.

Pete Carroll said Sanchez was not NFL ready when he declared for the draft, Geno has a ton of college experience compared with Sanchez.

Is it just me? I would say Geno is far more ready to be successful coming out then Sanchez was.

True. I suppose it depends on whether we're asking him to be the guy and step up NOW or if we're just asking him to hand it off to Ivory/Goodson and let the line work. Hell, that very thing made Sanchez a playoff QB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    You have got to believe Idzik wants Geno to start with him being his pick, I'm not buying this "Geno ain't ready" nonsense either.

Tannehill coped well being thrown in at the deep end with no weapons etc, Manuel looks likely to start for the bills, so why can't Geno take the bull by the horns Rex style and get out there.

Sanchez is destined to fail in this system, quick thinking, accuracy, going through reads etc is everything Sanchez can't do.

Geno seems smart, can make all the throws, has good accuracy, protects the ball, let his footwork develop on the job, lets roll with the hot hand to get this rebuild truly underway.
    Actually the WCO is exactly what Sanchez used to be good at. He's no good at watching a play develop downfield. Quick thinking, read and react, rhythm passing was his strength, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that MM gets some of his confidence back. The real problem I see is that even if he does well, he'll have real trouble stretching out the defense so we'll end up with a safety in the box. He can't seem to throw a catchable ball down the sideline. His best deep ball is down the seem, and that's where he can't negotiate the safety. We'll see what happens, but that's why I hope Geno is the real thing. He may not be much taller than Sanchez, but he plays a lot taller. The ball jumps out of his hands, and his sideline ball seems much more catchable. While Sanchez throws well on the run(or used to), Geno seems to move much better in the pocket, and "seems"(That WV offense is tough to know whether these plays were all designed, or improvised) to know where everyone is, or is going to be on the field, and gets touch on the ball to his check down leading him toward open space, instead of getting him killed, or throwing picks to linemen. I really hope Geno picks up the offense, but I don't think he'll start until he's ready, or Sanchez fails.

All Pro
    Another thing, everybody says we will be garbage if Geno starts and cuts his teeth, didn't we go to the championship game with a rookie in 09 all be it with more talent around him.

Pete Carroll said Sanchez was not NFL ready when he declared for the draft, Geno has a ton of college experience compared with Sanchez.

Is it just me? I would say Geno is far more ready to be successful coming out then Sanchez was.
    2009 starters; Cothery, Stuckey, Thomas Jones. I don't get everyone saying we had him surrounded with studs.

True. I suppose it depends on whether we're asking him to be the guy and step up NOW or if we're just asking him to hand it off to Ivory/Goodson and let the line work. Hell, that very thing made Sanchez a playoff QB.
    Well when you consider he's an Idzik pick, we have invested heavily in the O-line both in FA and the draft, we traded for Ivory, Idzik wanted Goodson the minute the free agency bell rung.

All of the above would suggest they want Geno to go in and game manage like Sanchez did in 09, then in year two surround him with talent and let him be "the guy"

If the defence steps up and Geno manages the game, no reason we can't be a decent team this year.

Well when you consider he's an Idzik pick, we have invested heavily in the O-line both in FA and the draft, we traded for Ivory, Idzik wanted Goodson the minute the free agency bell rung.

All of the above would suggest they want Geno to go in and game manage like Sanchez did in 09, then in year two surround him with talent and let him be "the guy"

If the defence steps up and Geno manages the game, no reason we can't be a decent team this year.
    I petty much agree. If those things happen, I think we'll be a competitive team. Can't really ask for more in a rebuilding year.

Sanchez will start the season, when he implodes because he sucks and has no weapons. Smith will come in to save the day, but he will still have the same problem that Sanchez had--no weapons. Next year, Idzak will find skilled receivers and the Geno Smith era will really begin.

Hall Of Fame
    "When it's a straight-up competition for the job, let's roll," the embattled Sanchez said in a recent sitdown with ESPNNewYork.com. "It really doesn't bother me at all. It really doesn't affect my confidence or anything like that. We're competing for something. All right, I'm going to win. That's just how I am."
    I found that pretty interesting. Is he suggesting that the cards might be stacked against him?

Sanchez has already made it clear that he won't be aiding Geno at all (which IMO is fine). But it won't be long before we start getting reports of the tension in the QB room. Media will be looking for the first little thing to report.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Media will be looking for the first little thing to report.
    What else is new?

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    2009 starters; Cothery, Stuckey, Thomas Jones. I don't get everyone saying we had him surrounded with studs.
    The '09 talent is definitely overrated in hindsight. For that matter, so is the overall team - that squad probably doesn't even make the playoffs if Belichick is coaching the Colts in Week 15.

That said, the line was so good in '09 that you have to treat that as a skill position. If the Jets were to get similar play out of the front five this year, this team could be equally successful.

By equally successful I mean a 9-7ish record, not necessarily an AFCCG participant.

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    We've had stand up guys at QB - Pennington was presidential and Mark always says all the right things - too bad neither had the total package.

If you put Pennington's brain on Mark's body we'd have a stud QB.
    You could have put Pennington's brain in The most gunslinging strongest arm and fastest legged QB in the league and you would still have a QB who constinuously dumps the ball off no matter what. Let's be clear-"Taking what the defense gives you" is not playing smart football. It's playing right into the Defense's gameplan. Pennington was a great guy, but he played nothing but *****ball as a QB.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    You have got to believe Idzik wants Geno to start with him being his pick, I'm not buying this "Geno ain't ready" nonsense either.

Tannehill coped well being thrown in at the deep end with no weapons etc, Manuel looks likely to start for the bills, so why can't Geno take the bull by the horns Rex style and get out there.

Sanchez is destined to fail in this system, quick thinking, accuracy, going through reads etc is everything Sanchez can't do.

Geno seems smart, can make all the throws, has good accuracy, protects the ball, let his footwork develop on the job, lets roll with the hot hand to get this rebuild truly underway.
    Id like to ad my .02
    While its true that Smith is by definition an "Idzik pick", to me, Smith was the best value pick for the Jets after he fell down the draft board.

Basically, i agree he is ad Idzik guy, but I get the feeling Idzik didnt draft Geno because he loved him as a QB of the future, rather he drafted him on a value basis.

The rookie Salary cap, and Genos draft position makes the pick high upside/low risk, and thats why he was selected by the Jets.

I cant see Smith getting the 4 year window of chance that Mark has had, primarily from a salary perspective. Geno will have his chance, but i cant see the team committing to him for the nest 3-4 years, without results.
    Last edited by sdJETSetter; 07-11-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    You could have put Pennington's brain in The most gunslinging strongest arm and fastest legged QB in the league and you would still have a QB who constinuously dumps the ball off no matter what. Let's be clear-"Taking what the defense gives you" is not playing smart football. It's playing right into the Defense's gameplan. Pennington was a great guy, but he played nothing but *****ball as a QB.
    I think Pennington's understanding of his own skill set (and lack of arm strength) played a big part in his dump-off tendencies. He had it all upstairs, perhaps right below Peyton when it comes to his cerebral understanding of the game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    The one practice I attended They seemed pretty even, which does not bode well for Sanchez. You expect to see improvement from a rookie, you don't expect to see as much improvement from a player going into his 5th season.

Sanchez is likely to start the season just because Smith is adjusting to playing in a pro style offense for the first time in a couple of years (as well as being a rookie). I would be surprised if Sanchez starts all 16 games this season.
    Thx 4 the camp info

Agree with you that I think Sanchez starts week 1 ... But as soon as Smith proves to MM & Rex that he Gets It a switch will be made

Best case to me Geno Era begins week 3 home vs. Buff

Latest week 13 home vs Fins

Most likely case we lose week 9 vs Saints, team switches to Geno heading into bye week and his first start week 11 @ Buff

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Actually the WCO is exactly what Sanchez used to be good at. He's no good at watching a play develop downfield. Quick thinking, read and react, rhythm passing was his strength, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that MM gets some of his confidence back. The real problem I see is that even if he does well, he'll have real trouble stretching out the defense so we'll end up with a safety in the box. He can't seem to throw a catchable ball down the sideline. His best deep ball is down the seem, and that's where he can't negotiate the safety. We'll see what happens, but that's why I hope Geno is the real thing. He may not be much taller than Sanchez, but he plays a lot taller. The ball jumps out of his hands, and his sideline ball seems much more catchable. While Sanchez throws well on the run(or used to), Geno seems to move much better in the pocket, and "seems"(That WV offense is tough to know whether these plays were all designed, or improvised) to know where everyone is, or is going to be on the field, and gets touch on the ball to his check down leading him toward open space, instead of getting him killed, or throwing picks to linemen. I really hope Geno picks up the offense, but I don't think he'll start until he's ready, or Sanchez fails.
    I heard he had dabbled with the WCO offence at USC but that's far from being competent at running it in the pros, and we all know MM version is not a conventional version as well.

My interpretation of the WCO points directly to Sanchez's weaknesses, never thought of him as a good rhythm passer, his decision making stinks, his short to intermediate pass accuracy sucks, he always gives receivers
    way to much to do etc.

Going through reads then delivering a timely polished pass seems beyond him IMO, his passing to backs out of the backfield has always looked shaky to me, and then as you mentioned passing to the outside is an issue.

It's not beyond the realms as you said, but for people to suggest that Sanchez will bury Geno as direct consequence of this system does not seem realistic to me.

In two weeks we find out.