Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez says he's going to win the Jets' QB job

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Sanchez says he's going to win the Jets' QB job

Mark Sanchez set for 'Jets West'
    Updated: July 10, 2013, 7:32 PM ET
    By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Two weeks before he reports to a make-or-break training camp with the New York Jets, Mark Sanchez will gather Thursday with about 15 teammates near his home in Southern California for "Jets West" -- his annual, players-only passing camp.

For three days, Sanchez will wear two hats -- quarterback and coordinator, running on-the-field workouts and leading film-study sessions.

He's certainly not acting like he's worried about losing his starting job to rookie Geno Smith -- and he's not talking that way, either. Sanchez all but predicted he will prevail in their open competition.

"When it's a straight-up competition for the job, let's roll," the embattled Sanchez said in a recent sitdown with ESPNNewYork.com. "It really doesn't bother me at all. It really doesn't affect my confidence or anything like that. We're competing for something. All right, I'm going to win. That's just how I am."

Publicly, the Jets' coaches are calling it an even race, although it became clear that Sanchez outplayed Smith in the spring, culminating with last month's minicamp.

Nevertheless, the competition is expected to last at least two preseason games, with the organization hoping that Smith, drafted in the second round, can make a serious run at the job. Sanchez, coming off his second straight 26-turnover season, has many skeptics, probably some in his own building.

The ever-optimistic Sanchez insisted he's the same quarterback who helped his team to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in 2009 and '10. But a frustrated fan base, still reliving the nightmare of the infamous "Butt Fumble," has run out of patience with Sanchez.

But he still wants to make it work in New York.

"I love being here, I love playing here," said Sanchez, who has a 33-29 starting record in four seasons. "We've tasted success here and we've seen that formula work and we're getting back to that. There was a little adversity last year. Call it a little, call it a lot, call it whatever. It doesn't affect the way I train, the way I work."

Sanchez unwittingly provided his critics with additional fodder recently when an embarrassing video hit the Internet. It shows him dancing semi-nude with two women at a house party, his shorts down to his knees and his backside in full view.

He has yet to comment on the video, but he will be asked about it Friday at "Jets West." Initially, the event was closed to the media, but Sanchez, in a possible public-relations move, decided last week to have one day of media availability.

The other issue surrounding "Jets West" is whether Smith will show up to it. It's open to all skill-position players, but Smith initially expressed reluctance about participating. As of Wednesday night, it was unclear if he will attend.

In two weeks, Sanchez and Smith will battle each other in a microanalyzed competition. For Sanchez, it could be a career changer. If he fails to resurrect his career, he'll be playing elsewhere in 2014.

"Competition can be a very good thing," former Jets quarterback Mark Brunell, a close friend of Sanchez, said Wednesday in a phone interview. "You've got a kid the organization is excited about, drafting [Smith] that high. That could be motivation for Mark.

"Mark's not a young quarterback anymore. He knows how the game works. I think he'll respond well. It's really a critical year for him. This is his fifth year. It's time to get things going."

For the record, Brunell said he expects Sanchez to win the job.

The now-retired Brunell attended "Jets West" in 2011, but he never was a serious threat to Sanchez's job. He was a big brother to Sanchez, a stabilizing influence. It's a different dynamic with Smith, and it would be awkward if he shows up Thursday. Then again, Tim Tebow participated last year. As it turned out, Tebow never challenged Sanchez, who wound up getting benched late in the year for third-stringer Greg McElroy.

Sanchez said he's ready for anyone and anything. He still believes it can be 2010 again.

"I've been that guy; nothing has changed," he said. "The results haven't been what we wanted, but I haven't changed. You don't just switch and say, 'This year, I'm going to do it.' You have to be that guy at all times.

"I'm confident I can go out and make the plays for this team to win. You can't guarantee wins and you can't promise anything like that, but I know we'll be the best-prepared team and the hardest-working team. We'll have the potential to have a good season."

Source: ESPN New York
    it's Cimini, so take it for what it's worth. I'd like to believe in Sanchez, I really do want to. He's just made it so difficult to do so. He'll start off great again, and then flounder at the first sign of trouble. He needs his chip back, like 2 years ago when he was making comebacks and game winning drives, eluding defensive players, etc.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's all hope he doesn't...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFL fans and players around the league are hoping so...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Cimini and the other beat writers are about to have their last (paid) summer vacation to SoCal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    it's Cimini, so take it for what it's worth. I'd like to believe in Sanchez, I really do want to. He's just made it so difficult to do so. He'll start off great again, and then flounder at the first sign of trouble. He needs his chip back, like 2 years ago when he was making comebacks and game winning drives, eluding defensive players, etc.
    Thank you for posting that article and I agree with what you wrote. My take on it that the Jets want Sanchez to win otherwise they would try to trade or sign a more experienced QB when Garrard retired. What competition? Sanchez has an open shot at the job!! McElroy and Simms are not being given a remote chance to do anything. Its been said that Rex hates McElroy because he was too outspoken. Why not just cut the guy and maximize his chance of hooking on with a team that will use him. The stupidity of it is that REX wants us to believe that its an even competition between Sanchez and Smith. He knows darn well that Smith is at least a year away from being able to start! If it is even the Jets are in real trouble!

Once again he has handed the job to his guy Sanchez!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet he does win the job and probably play lights out for about 3weeks. Then... well I can't be certain, no one can.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johnathon,
    Of course hes going to win the job.
    As far as believing in him, may i advise you against reading any preseason reports, they suck you in like a bathtub drain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm beginning to fall in love with Geno again, for no tangible reason other than last year. Does anyone remember this guy last sept-oct? He was as hot as anyone in college...

with that said. It would be beneficial for both Geno, and this franchise to let Mark start the first 5 games. That stretch is going to be rough, even for a savy vet. If we're investing in Geno as a long term solution, I'd side with those who think he could stand to spent september and some of October watching and learning (in this case, probably learning what NOT to do).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's talk about who will be starting in week 10. Probably not nacho.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote "although it became clear that Sanchez outplayed Smith in the spring, culminating with last month's minicamp."

Had anyone besides Cimini heard that was the case?

My understanding was the WR's played like $hit for both QB's ... and that they both were equally underwhelming in mini-camp

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

WTF???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    our Dick hears things and sometimes he just makes up crap that's rattling around only in his empty head

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've had stand up guys at QB - Pennington was presidential and Mark always says all the right things - too bad neither had the total package.

If you put Pennington's brain on Mark's body we'd have a stud QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Clowney.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'm beginning to fall in love with Geno again, for no tangible reason other than last year. Does anyone remember this guy last sept-oct? He was as hot as anyone in college...

with that said. It would be beneficial for both Geno, and this franchise to let Mark start the first 5 games. That stretch is going to be rough, even for a savy vet. If we're investing in Geno as a long term solution, I'd side with those who think he could stand to spent september and some of October watching and learning (in this case, probably learning what NOT to do).
    This.. If Rex does decide to hold geno back to start season, no way he's not in there by week 6.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Hello Clowney.

Dumb

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    We've had stand up guys at QB - Pennington was presidential and Mark always says all the right things - too bad neither had the total package.

If you put Pennington's brain on Mark's body we'd have a stud QB.
    Pennington with a stronger arm and durability would have been something to see...

still even with his limitations, Pennington was light years ahead of Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Pennington with a stronger arm and durability would have been something to see...

still even with his limitations, Pennington was light years ahead of Sanchez.
    False. That's just plain ignorance brought on by the here and now...ie, Sanchez is current, so he seems worse. Absolutely not the case.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Thank you for posting that article and I agree with what you wrote. My take on it that the Jets want Sanchez to win otherwise they would try to trade or sign a more experienced QB when Garrard retired. What competition? Sanchez has an open shot at the job!! McElroy and Simms are not being given a remote chance to do anything. Its been said that Rex hates McElroy because he was too outspoken. Why not just cut the guy and maximize his chance of hooking on with a team that will use him. The stupidity of it is that REX wants us to believe that its an even competition between Sanchez and Smith. He knows darn well that Smith is at least a year away from being able to start! If it is even the Jets are in real trouble!

Once again he has handed the job to his guy Sanchez!
    Over mine er! I mean Geno's dead body. Sanchez need to go find some place to sit his tired arse down. It's over for him. The END! of him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear he is also looking forward to playing forward for the Knicks.