Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mark Sanchez says he's going to win the Jets' QB job

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    And hopefully I'll win the lotto too. But it's all wishful thinking .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is unlikely he will win the job. Unless Rex is a complete idiot and can't let go of his guy which unfortunately has happened in the past.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I disagreed with Morniwheg's initial idea of trying to select a starting QB in June, for this very reason. Neither QB deserves to be handed the job.

But if Geno is one of those quick studies who is going to come back in July with the playbook digested and mechanics improved since mini-camp, then no question I'll be pulling for him to come out as the starter.
    I completely disagree with this. The worst thing you can do in training camp in my view is have a QB competition because it takes huge amounts of reps away from the starter. Unless we employ a system like Miami did last year the QB competition is a very bad thing. It is not the same as other positions on any level. The Jets should choose a starter latest by the end of the first week in my view.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I completely disagree with this. The worst thing you can do in training camp in my view is have a QB competition because it takes huge amounts of reps away from the starter. Unless we employ a system like Miami did last year the QB competition is a very bad thing. It is not the same as other positions on any level. The Jets should choose a starter latest by the end of the first week in my view.
    Agreed. At the very latest after the first pre season game. The starter needs to get the starters share of the reps. There is a reason that the starting QB gets 70% of the reps in camp, because he needs them. Not only is it beneficial to the QB himself, but the team needs to know who is going to be under center. It will also quiet all the "QB controversy" talk among the media. My guess is that the staff will know pretty early on but will not officially announce anything until after the first pre season game. We should all get a pretty good idea how the competition is going by the amount of reps and what personnel groupings each QB is working with.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course in a perfect world, you don't have a QB competition.

I just don't see how you could have made a well-informed decision with these two without seeing both in game action in the new system. The most comparable QB competition I can think of is Sanchez/Clemens back in '09. The Jets took two preseason games to make the call, and it was the right one. I'm hoping for the same this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Geno needs to do a lot before he can take the field. As far as ability he has a huge edge over all of the QBs in camp and should win the job. Geno will need to learn how to break down film and game prep as well. Those are things he doesnt need to be on the field to learn. It also doesnt help when you 1 2 and 3 WRs arent able to play. Put McElroy out there on the "1st team" for a few reps it isnt hurting anyone. Geno needs to learn in game and game speed we already know he looks good in practice. He could be out there throwing to orange cones to get the playbook down. 5 on 5s and 7 on 7s is not the same as a full on scrimmage. One of the biggest reasons Mark is so afraid to throw deep is he got killed in practice by Landry, Revis, Cro, and Wilson I think. You dont need to press Geno vs this D every down. Rex has used Mark as punching bags in camp in the past. Then we wonder why he never throws to his #1 WR.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    it's Cimini, so take it for what it's worth. I'd like to believe in Sanchez, I really do want to. He's just made it so difficult to do so. He'll start off great again, and then flounder at the first sign of trouble. He needs his chip back, like 2 years ago when he was making comebacks and game winning drives, eluding defensive players, etc.
    My thoughts reading the quotes from Sanchez in this article... Guys that are truly confident that they are the guy, don't need to say they are confident they are the guy.

Period.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    My thoughts reading the quotes from Sanchez in this article... Guys that are truly confident that they are the guy, don't need to say they are confident they are the guy. Period.
    The way the media twists things if Sanchez said anything else they would say; Sanchez showing no confidence to win the job..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Of course in a perfect world, you don't have a QB competition.

I just don't see how you could have made a well-informed decision with these two without seeing both in game action in the new system. The most comparable QB competition I can think of is Sanchez/Clemens back in '09. The Jets took two preseason games to make the call, and it was the right one. I'm hoping for the same this year.
    The decision was made even before that. The FO and Coaching Staff already seen enough of Clemens sucked. Once Sanchez made that first completion I think it was to Clowney in that 1st preseason game the decision was locked in.

Geno is a different story because unlike Rat/Clemens/Ainge - Geno actually has talent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The decision was made even before that. The FO and Coaching Staff already seen enough of Clemens sucked. Once Sanchez made that first completion I think it was to Clowney in that 1st preseason game the decision was locked in. Geno is a different story because unlike Rat/Clemens/Ainge - Geno actually has talent.
    Good point and that was a long throw 48 yds..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Good point and that was a long throw 48 yds..
    Sanchez was bombs away through Week 5 that year. Can we get that guy back?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Thx 4 the camp info

Agree with you that I think Sanchez starts week 1 ... But as soon as Smith proves to MM & Rex that he Gets It a switch will be made

Best case to me Geno Era begins week 3 home vs. Buff

Latest week 13 home vs Fins

Most likely case we lose week 9 vs Saints, team switches to Geno heading into bye week and his first start week 11 @ Buff
    When you watch Sanchez and Geno side by side, Geno has better ball placement and arm talent. Geno made on throw to Winslow on a short crossing route that was so well placed that Winslow picked up huge yards. Sanchez has always struggled with ball placement on short throws (no idea why). Smith's biggest problem right now is holding on to the ball way too long and staring down receivers, but hopefully he will outgrow those things.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The decision was made even before that. The FO and Coaching Staff already seen enough of Clemens sucked. Once Sanchez made that first completion I think it was to Clowney in that 1st preseason game the decision was locked in.

Geno is a different story because unlike Rat/Clemens/Ainge - Geno actually has talent.
    I wouldnt say that. Really felt they gave Clemens the upper hand he just couldnt run what Shotty was running. He was a gun slinger playing small ball. This is more comparable to Lienart vs DA in Zona. You know the year Matt looked better then DA in camp and they still cut him after camp. This is pretty much the same thing. I dont think it matters what Mark does he isnt winning the job the franchise has already moved on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez is so awful that Geno shouldn't have any problem beating him.

correct?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rebuilding the team why would you let the same piece of crap QB, let the kid start, you're not going anywhere anyway...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Well when you consider he's an Idzik pick, we have invested heavily in the O-line both in FA and the draft, we traded for Ivory, Idzik wanted Goodson the minute the free agency bell rung.

All of the above would suggest they want Geno to go in and game manage like Sanchez did in 09, then in year two surround him with talent and let him be "the guy"

If the defence steps up and Geno manages the game, no reason we can't be a decent team this year.
    I think this comes closest to the truth.

Keep in mind that Sanchez can't throw the screen. The screen is a big part of the WCO. So either Marty M. dumbs down the WCO to suit MS or what is more likely, Geno is the starter if he's anywhere near ready.

This entire thread is really pointless. We'll all see how it shakes out in camp and preseason games. Then we'll know. Till then we're all just repeating ourselves.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The way the media twists things if Sanchez said anything else they would say; Sanchez showing no confidence to win the job..
    So, Sanchez is showing false-confidence to avoid media scrutiny.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone told me today that this season is Sanchez's make or break year. Why do I feel like every year is his make or break year? I think he's broken it four times now, why would he "make" it this year?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    "There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"