Thread: Media should learn lesson from Pats

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Media should learn lesson from Pats

As mush as despise the Pats, I will readily admit I have always marveled at tge way they handle business. However the media put them on a pedestal and at the same time loved to throw the Jets under the bus.

With recent developments (Hernandez / Dennard ), all of a sudden there are chinks in the almighty armor that even the media can't look past. So id like to take this time as a Jet fan to make a point.

My point is not that the Pats aren't what they were cracked up to be. Instead, I rather see this as a pretty obvious fact: no matter what organization you are, you're bound to make mistakes. You're bound to draft some bad eggs. It happens.

When Braylon got a DWI, every media outlet was calling for him to be suspended or even cut by the Jets. When they did not, they were buried in the news for it. I remember thinking what a bunch of BS. The dude made a mistake. Move on.

Fast forward to today and now it's like, how could this stuff happen to the almighty Pats? You know why? Cause it could happen to anyone in any business throughout the country. Some people make mistakes and some even live double lives.

Hopefully this will teach tge media to stop judging teams for their players personal lives and start judging them for what they can control. This won't happen, but I wish it would.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, yeah, obviously. The entire "patriot way" thing was just bs. If they didn't have a HoF QB guaranteeing them 11+ wins every year, we wouldn't hear any of this bs about how they "just do it the right way". What a crock.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Well, yeah, obviously. The entire "patriot way" thing was just bs. If they didn't have a HoF QB guaranteeing them 11+ wins every year, we wouldn't hear any of this bs about how they "just do it the right way". What a crock.
    It amazes me how the media picks 'good teams' and 'villains' in sports. This ain't a movie.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Give it enough time and it'll be a book.

IF I Did It: The Aaron Hernandez Story.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. But they will never learn. They can't afford to learn.

Part of the media's job has become entertainment. Sports is entertainment and that has passed into the media. So that is part of the reason why they play up to "heroes" and "villains". And we forget that everything for them is ratings based so they do what gets them better ratings or what sells ad space. Just the fact that we are discussing this means they have succeeded at their jobs.

Do I think the Pats are a well-run organization? Absolutely. Do I think the media has overstated how great they are? Absolutely and I felt that way long before the AH situation.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I despise the Pats too - but they did have a great culture with their SB teams where Brady and guys like Matt Light, Seymour, Bruschi, etc were the leaders.

They have gotten away from that because BB is actually a terrible drafter but never gets called out for it. Every year he as all these picks and what is there to show for it?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure Jim Nantz would disagree with the OP. He's so invested in the Patriot myth it's sickening. I expect a pro-Kraft statement to be in his twitter feed. Ill go check.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Putrid Way.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    It amazes me how the media picks 'good teams' and 'villains' in sports. This ain't a movie.
    Unfortunately, the mediots do treat everything in sports as a movie. It has stopped being about the athleticism on the field.

More unfortunately, there are people who treat movies as though they're factual.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. But they will never learn. They can't afford to learn.

Part of the media's job has become entertainment. Sports is entertainment and that has passed into the media. So that is part of the reason why they play up to "heroes" and "villains". And we forget that everything for them is ratings based so they do what gets them better ratings or what sells ad space. Just the fact that we are discussing this means they have succeeded at their jobs.

Do I think the Pats are a well-run organization? Absolutely. Do I think the media has overstated how great they are? Absolutely and I felt that way long before the AH situation.
    The top organizations probably use the media to their advantage. With the rush-to-be-first mentality that exists it's an easy thing to do these days.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Give it enough time and it'll be a book.

IF I Did It: The Aaron Hernandez Story.
    Truth.

Think about this for a second. Let's say Lloyd realized that AH, the POS that he is, was going to try to kill him that night. So Lloyd brings a gun and shoots AH first.

The idiot media and sheepish public would be erecting a statue of this low life (AH) and we would have to sit through countless re-runs of his @$$ on "A Football Life."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Truth.

Think about this for a second. Let's say Lloyd realized that AH, the POS that he is, was going to try to kill him that night. So Lloyd brings a gun and shoots AH first.

The idiot media and sheepish public would be erecting a statue of this low life (AH) and we would have to sit through countless re-runs of his @$$ on "A Football Life."
    Yup. Not to say that all the guys are perfect. McNair definitely messed up towards the end of his life, but he certainly didn't MURDER anyone. Ray "where's the camera?" Lewis on the other hand...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The entire sports media, to include our own media here in NY, has had its mouth around Belichick and Brady's scrotums for years. I know I rag on ESPatsN but its just as bad if not worse the Patriot d*ck sucker/Giant homer station WFAN. Rex Ryan makes a promise that his defense will be ranked better than 30th they act like he's the anti-Christ.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    However the media put them on a pedestal and at the same time loved to throw the Jets under the bus.
    I don't know about this.

Are we talking about local or national media. Locally, the media acts just as they should - lionizing the Jets when things are good, brutal when it's bad. Giants can win SB, even more than one, and we'll still getting the ink. Our brand is insane, but more often than not this is a bad thing rather than good.

But nationally? The Pats have an all-time QB and the titles. Of course they're on at least some kind of pedestal. Maybe when the Texans or Lions nab a few titles with star players, they will be too - but until then they're just contenders. The nucleus of this Pats team will get the story lines, it's a byproduct of multiple titles (and consistency in reg season W/L). Patriot Nation exists, they have fans across the country. 15 years ago such a notion would have been an unkind joke.

Now, I can definitely see the national media throwing the Jets under the bus, but when the sun was shining we got all the attention and then some.

In summation we are the Giants' personal media lightning rod.
    Last edited by sackdance; 07-13-2013 at 10:47 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been more about the Belicheat way. He's the one thats been put up on the pedestal, even more then Kraft, by ESPN and the NFL Network.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    I don't know about this.

Are we talking about local or national media. Locally, the media acts just as they should - lionizing the Jets when things are good, brutal when it's bad. Giants can win SB, even more than one, and we'll still getting the ink. Our brand is insane, but more often than not this is a bad thing rather than good.

But nationally? The Pats have an all-time QB and the titles. Of course they're on at least some kind of pedestal. Maybe when the Texans or Lions nab a few titles with star players, they will be too - but until then they're just contenders. The nucleus of this Pats team will get the story lines, it's a byproduct of multiple titles (and consistency in reg season W/L). Patriot Nation exists, they have fans across the country. 15 years ago such a notion would have been an unkind joke.

Now, I can definitely see the national media throwing the Jets under the bus, but when the sun was shining we got all the attention and then some.

In summation we are the Giants' personal media lightning rod.

They haven't won a title, since 2004...... and, BTW, it was done while CHEATING. The cheating scandal has always been downplayed or ignored by the national media. The pedestal shouldn't even exist, let alone STILL be supporting them.

And, "when the sun was shining" was 2010, after the surprising AFCCG appearance..... the story was STILL, "not good enough to beat the Pats", or "what will the Jets say, this week?", or "Rex Ryan is speaking again"..... none of the coverage was positive.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many days since a Pats* arrest? 5?