Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: If the Jets can manage to beat either PIT or CIN...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

If the Jets can manage to beat either PIT or CIN...

Their odds of making the playoffs are a lot greater. Assuming that NE (unfortunately), Balt, Houston, and Denver will win their respective divisions, there aren't a whole lot of other AFC teams that look like locks to make the playoffs- 2 of the best of the rest of the bunch are the Steelers and Bengals. The Jets happen to play the AFC North- if they somehow win both or one of those games, they will be in a favorable spot when it comes to seeding and tiebreakers.

Obviously, this is only focusing on intangible factors. Regarding the QB situation, it's likely that Sanchez will be the opening starter, much to the dismay of me and plenty of others. However, he is on a much shorter leash this year because of how awful he played last year and the fact that the Jets drafted a rookie in Round 2 this year. Nearly everyone is looking at this as a rebuilding year for the team and regardless of what Sanchez says about how happy he is to be here and how he's going to start throwing the ball away more or he's "confident he'll be the starter for x many years", the fans aren't buying him and are eager to see what Geno can bring to the table.

Last year was an anomaly for rookie QB's w/ 3 legitimate immediate impact players. However, if Geno Smith makes mistakes this year, the fans won't immediately want him out of town since he's a rookie- Sanchez played like a rookie in his 4th season. If Smith can play at the level of Nick Foles, I could see the Jets contending for the #6 seed in a weak AFC. Foles put up some big numbers last year but the Eagles' defense was terrible- I see some potential for the Jets' defense to be strong so even if Sanchez wets the bed again this year, Geno Smith may not have to play like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers in order for the Jets to become a decent team again.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Their odds of making the playoffs are a lot greater. Assuming that NE (unfortunately), Balt, Houston, and Denver will win their respective divisions, there aren't a whole lot of other AFC teams that look like locks to make the playoffs- 2 of the best of the rest of the bunch are the Steelers and Bengals. The Jets happen to play the AFC North- if they somehow win both or one of those games, they will be in a favorable spot when it comes to seeding and tiebreakers.

Obviously, this is only focusing on intangible factors. Regarding the QB situation, it's likely that Sanchez will be the opening starter, much to the dismay of me and plenty of others. However, he is on a much shorter leash this year because of how awful he played last year and the fact that the Jets drafted a rookie in Round 2 this year. Nearly everyone is looking at this as a rebuilding year for the team and regardless of what Sanchez says about how happy he is to be here and how he's going to start throwing the ball away more or he's "confident he'll be the starter for x many years", the fans aren't buying him and are eager to see what Geno can bring to the table.

Last year was an anomaly for rookie QB's w/ 3 legitimate immediate impact players. However, if Geno Smith makes mistakes this year, the fans won't immediately want him out of town since he's a rookie- Sanchez played like a rookie in his 4th season. If Smith can play at the level of Nick Foles, I could see the Jets contending for the #6 seed in a weak AFC. Foles put up some big numbers last year but the Eagles' defense was terrible- I see some potential for the Jets' defense to be strong so even if Sanchez wets the bed again this year, Geno Smith may not have to play like Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers in order for the Jets to become a decent team again.
    I like your style but are you forgetting about our friends in Miami?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we run the ball, limit the turnovers, play good defence and force some turnovers we can chalk out some W's nobody expected.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking the Pats in Metlife will get all the fury of our front 4, considering how the game in NE ended. Hopefully the Refs let them play.

The Steelers and Bengals are definitely winnable and winning one of them is a must.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, in order to have a legit shot at the playoffs I think we need to go 3-2 over the next 5 and enter the bye with a winning record. Then we need to take care of business in the second half.

I'd say we're probably a long shot at this point (Dolphins, Chiefs, and Titans obviously all have a leg up on us in terms of the Wild Card) but we're definitley still in it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Playoffs.....playoffs???

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have to cut down on the turnovers before we can even consider the playoffs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking (hoping) we would be at 2-2 after the first quarter, but I really think we took a huge step backwards last week. If we keep playing like that we wont win that many more games. Protect the ball please!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    One game at a time ladies. But I will say that Pit and Cincy do not scare me. Would like to see Geno have a turnover-free game before I assume it is going to happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cincy did scare me until they lost to Cleveland. the Pittsburgh game will also be interesting.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both games are winable with their defense. Pitt and Cincy are both games that if the Jets don't turn the ball over much, can stay close with a solid running game and good defense. I think it's time to start taking the ball away from others as well.

jf

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Houston is already 2-2 and so is cincy and perhaps Baltimore?

Look at the standings - everything is bunched up right now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    Playoffs.....playoffs???
    We talking playoffs.........

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post

Someone other than the Jets will emerge. The Jets are not a very good team this season. After that total debacle in Tenn, my original prediction is in play. That was 5-11. I hope they are better than that. Unfortunately, the offense has a long, long , long way to go. I hope Mike Goodson is able to give this team an extra gear, but I do not see that happening, especially where we'll have a rookie with very little experience playing at LG.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cinci is the best team we face all year. Why Cinci?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    BAL has to win out.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Cinci beats Balt for their division

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talking playoffs is extremely premature. There are a lot of solid teams in the middle of the hunt. We're not one of them, especially in light of the last game. We're going to get rocked hard until the bye. Afterwards, let's see where we are and talk about a strong finish.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote this thread back in July when everyone was going crazy over the QB competition- obviously I had no way of knowing the Dolphins, Chiefs, and Titans would be as good as they are at this point.

Right now, I don't see the Jets as making the playoffs but maybe if they get back to .500 in several weeks, some other teams will have been brought back to earth.