Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urban Meyer - Media Scapegoat?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I got a dollar sign in the derogatory nickname you have for everyone on this board who disagrees with you? Awesome!
    ban

All these college coaches flee to the NFL, one step ahead of NCAA sanctions. Urban Myer, Pete Carroll, and this year Chip Kelley the new coach of the Eagles whose Oregon Ducks were hit with sanctions after he left:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...to_eagles.html

Urban Myer as HC of the Florida Gators signed Cam Newton to a scholarship. Cam Newton was expelled from Florida for multiple drug violations and the last straw was being arrested and charged with buglary, larceny and obstruction of justice.

Myer couldn't get him off once the charges became public. Newton left Florida and accepted a scholarship with LSU where he won a Heisman trophy and a national championship. I'm sure Urban Myer still blames the press for having to expel Cam Newton costing Florida another potential national championship.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-qb-camer.html
    Last edited by rajensen088; 07-15-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    All these college coaches flee to the NFL, one step ahead of NCAA sanctions. Urban Myer, Pete Carroll, and this year Chip Kelley the new coach of the Eagles whose Oregon Ducks were hit with sanctions after he left:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2...to_eagles.html

Urban Myer as HC of the Florida Gators signed Cam Newton to a scholarship. Cam Newton was expelled from FLorida for multiple drug violations and the last straw was being arrested and charged with buglary, larceny and obstruction of justice.

Myer couldn't get him off once the charges became public. Newton left FLorida ans accepted a scholarship with LSU where he won a Heisman trophy and a national championship.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-qb-camer.html
    Auburn. Prior to that he went played a year at a JUCO school in Texas instead of sitting out a year.

[QUOTE=rajensen088;4927124]All these college coaches flee to the NFL, one step ahead of NCAA sanctions. Urban Myer, Pete Carroll, and this year Chip Kelley the new coach of the Eagles whose Oregon Ducks were hit with sanctions after he left:QUOTE]

Absolutely true, couldn't agree more. Carroll had the perfect job at USC and had no problems until the NCAA police caught up with him and he decided to come back to the NFL. Same thing with Kelley. Saban is probably next. It' s the kids that are legit that I feel bad for, could care less about all the college administrators who promote this behavior. Plus the NCAA is a complete joke anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Murders on their watch:
    Meyer = 0
    Belicheat = 3
    check that....

Meyer=2 investigating maybe more.
    Belicheat=3

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Auburn. Prior to that he went played a year at a JUCO school in Texas instead of sitting out a year.
    Probably better start looking into unsolved murders there as well. This guy being a Blood, did not start killing when he went to the NFL, this began a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Postseason View Post
    No he is the real victim here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Depends on Meyer's involvement in the cover up of the 2007 shooting in Florida that they are investigating now. Hernandez was a suspect and then it was redacted. If Meyer got it swept under the rug then I can see him having some part of the blame.
    Absolutely, if he had anything to do with covering a murder he is complicate.

All these college coaches flee to the NFL, one step ahead of NCAA sanctions. Urban Myer, Pete Carroll, and this year Chip Kelley the new coach of the Eagles whose Oregon Ducks were hit with sanctions after he left
    It seems the way to a winning program in college. Build a program using whatever it takes and bolt when the NCAA starts sniffing around. All of these guys leave the schools holding the bag once they bolt.

A lot of this comes down to the boosters but if the coach turns his back and pretends this stuff isn't part of his program, it's on him. It's the school that pays the price.

Having Tebow during those years really helped Meyers image with all the other troubled players.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    It seems the way to a winning program in college. Build a program using whatever it takes and bolt when the NCAA starts sniffing around. All of these guys leave the schools holding the bag once they bolt.

A lot of this comes down to the boosters but if the coach turns his back and pretends this stuff isn't part of his program, it's on him. It's the school that pays the price.
    The formula seems to have been adapted for the NFL. Build a program using "whatever it takes" and then walk away "how badly was I duped by this guy" when the sh1t hits the fan. Classic Patriots.

In other news Captain Louis Renault (Claude Rains) is shocked, shocked to find out that gambling was going on at Rick's club.

Veteran
    Urban also recruited Cam the Scam. Cam, however, stole a laptop and the cover-up was to late, yadda yadda yadda, a national championship for Auburn costs about $200,000.

Veteran
    Urban recruits only the classiest kids, huh.

I guess it's no surprise but all the news here in Columbus is very positive

Urban Meyer runs a disciplined program and academics matter at Ohio State, the alumni are very strong and would not put up with blatant rules violations,

I am sure they bend the rules like all other major programs but the local "bible belt" news would go crazy if he was recruiting criminals

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post

Urban Meyer runs a disciplined program and academics matter at Ohio State, the alumni are very strong and would not put up with blatant rules violations,

I am sure they bend the rules like all other major programs but the local "bible belt" news would go crazy if he was recruiting criminals
    Give him time.

Nobody thought Tressel would have "issues" but the pressure to go beyond just winning and win a championship is bigger at traditional schools. I.e. you guys

Hall Of Fame

LOL....when did they become so strong and concerned with rules violations?? They just came off probation and a bowl ban just LAST season.

It's about the boosters. They want to be close to the players and they violate the rules to get close. It happens in every major program. It's just a matter of degree and when it comes crashing down. Most potential starters are paired up with boosters through various means. I watched it up close in the late eighties and early 90s at a major program. That's why boosters are around the players. If the players weren't being "greased", the boosters wouldn't be nearly as visible as they are and the players wouldn't be as receptive to their presence.

Jets Insider VIP
    who are the New England Patriot boosters that forced them to cheat for 8 or more seasons and draft, reward and coddle murderers?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL....when did they become so strong and concerned with rules violations?? They just came off probation and a bowl ban just LAST season.
    A few players got tattoos for memorabilia or "free" (it was a violation) and the HC (Tressel) was fired after he hid the truth/lied to protect his players...

Not exactly a killing spree and people lost their jobs for rules violations

They promoted an Alumni to coach for a year before hiring Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    It's about the boosters. They want to be close to the players and they violate the rules to get close. It happens in every major program. It's just a matter of degree and when it comes crashing down. Most potential starters are paired up with boosters through various means. I watched it up close in the late eighties and early 90s at a major program. That's why boosters are around the players. If the players weren't being "greased", the boosters wouldn't be nearly as visible as they are and the players wouldn't be as receptive to their presence.
    Very True, plenty of the "big" fans wearing the gold pants...