Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urban Meyer - Media Scapegoat?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Urban Meyer - Media Scapegoat?

Why does the media keep telling me this guy is basically to blame for the Aaron Hernandez killing spree? This guy hasn't touched Aaron Hernandez for four years now. This guy gave Aaron Hernandez a scholarship - Kraft and Belichick gave Aaron Hernandez $40 million guarantee.

To me its obvious the New England Patriots organization is more to blame for the Aaron Hernandez bs than Urban friggin Meyer. Next thing you know Hernandez's jv high school coach is going to get an Outside the Lines documentary about how he let kids cut class in the 9th grade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't heard them blaming him for the killing spree but the media has been taking him to task for the overwhelming amount of his players that were arrested while they played for him and after. I think the point they are trying to make is that these kids were allowed to go about their business b.c they were talented football players. Also, part of the reason why Meyer did not take the Notre Dame job was b.c he was not going to be able to recruit anyone he wanted.

Not to change the subject but I think this could be part of the reason why Shariff Floyd plummeted in the draft this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Haven't heard them blaming him for the killing spree but the media has been taking him to task for the overwhelming amount of his players that were arrested while they played for him and after. I think the point they are trying to make is that these kids were allowed to go about their business b.c they were talented football players. Also, part of the reason why Meyer did not take the Notre Dame job was b.c he was not going to be able to recruit anyone he wanted.

Not to change the subject but I think this could be part of the reason why Shariff Floyd plummeted in the draft this year.
    Good thing AH and Floyd never had a fight otherwise it may have been..Who shot the Shariff..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Why does the media keep telling me this guy is basically to blame for the Aaron Hernandez killing spree? This guy hasn't touched Aaron Hernandez for four years now. This guy gave Aaron Hernandez a scholarship - Kraft and Belichick gave Aaron Hernandez $40 million guarantee.

To me its obvious the New England Patriots organization is more to blame for the Aaron Hernandez bs than Urban friggin Meyer. Next thing you know Hernandez's jv high school coach is going to get an Outside the Lines documentary about how he let kids cut class in the 9th grade.
    Murders on their watch:
    Meyer = 0
    Belicheat = 3

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I kind think Aaron Hernandez is to blame for Aaron Hernandez' behavior.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    No he is the real victim here.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one is blaming him. People are questioning why 45 of his players got arrest in Gainesville during his 5 years there. He turned his back to everything.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Good thing AH and Floyd never had a fight otherwise it may have been..Who shot the Shariff..
    LMAO well played

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nj2socaljetsfan View Post
    No one is blaming him. People are questioning why 45 of his players got arrest in Gainesville during his 5 years there. He turned his back to everything.
    Thank you. That's the point here. He recruited these guys. I'm guessing he wouldn't trust any of them off the football field to detail his car, much less babysit his kids.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    True, that is what Meyer is getting heat for. He took the Florida job over the Notre Dame job because he could get ANY player he recruited enrolled in UF, Notre Dame still wanted to maintain and not lower their academic standards for admission. Meyer is guilty as hell of ignoring character concerns for his players. I follow college football recruiting pretty closely, and it was comical how Meyer not only ignored character concerns but how these kids magically became academically eligible to play. Meyer represents everything that is bad about big time college football.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    What a preposterous notion.

I blame my wife.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bruce had nothing to do with it

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a load of crap this thread is.

Alex Smith, Sione Pouha, Chris Kemoeatu, Maake Kemoeatu, Eric Weddle and Paul Kruger all did ok with him.

UF would have been the ones who wanted the W's regardless in order to raise their profile.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on Meyer's involvement in the cover up of the 2007 shooting in Florida that they are investigating now. Hernandez was a suspect and then it was redacted. If Meyer got it swept under the rug then I can see him having some part of the blame.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ricard78 View Post
    What a load of crap this thread is.

Alex Smith, Sione Pouha, Chris Kemoeatu, Maake Kemoeatu, Eric Weddle and Paul Kruger all did ok with him.

UF would have been the ones who wanted the W's regardless in order to raise their profile.
    That is true, but Meyer didnt have to recruit and offer all those questionable players. Just because UF didnt care, doesnt mean that Meyer isnt to blame for going after those players in the first place. Meyer isnt to blame for Hernandez's problems, but he did look the other way when AH and many of his other players were getting into trouble at UF.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, that is what Meyer is getting heat for. He took the Florida job over the Notre Dame job because he could get ANY player he recruited enrolled in UF, Notre Dame still wanted to maintain and not lower their academic standards for admission. Meyer is guilty as hell of ignoring character concerns for his players. I follow college football recruiting pretty closely, and it was comical how Meyer not only ignored character concerns but how these kids magically became academically eligible to play. Meyer represents everything that is bad about big time college football.
    I am wondering when the NCAA investigation is going to take place down there

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am wondering when the NCAA investigation is going to take place down there
    Probably never. The NCAA is more concerned with players getting free tattoos and pizza than they are about gang members being offered scholarships and having their academic records falsified.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Probably never. The NCAA is more concerned with players getting free tattoos and pizza than they are about gang members being offered scholarships and having their academic records falsified.
    +1... Ohio State canning Jim Tressel for Urban Meyer tells you all you need to know about that program's commitment to purity.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AS$0531 View Post
    +1... My Patriots NOT canning Bill Belichick despite 8 years of cheating and 4 years of aiding and abetting a serial murderer tells you all you need to know about that program's commitment to purity.
    fixed

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    fixed
    I got a dollar sign in the derogatory nickname you have for everyone on this board who disagrees with you? Awesome!