Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Geno Smith Skips Jets West

Post New Story: Geno Smith Skips Jets West

This week Mark Sanchez hosts his fourth annual Jets West camp, a time where the quarterback and many young receivers get together to run drills and work on the ins-and-outs of the playbook, but the biggest news from the camp is about who isn't in attendance and that's rookie quarterback Geno Smith.

There was some confusion about Smith and his possible Jets West invitation at the end of mini-camp, when asked if he would attend Smith simply responded with, "no comment." This sent some people into a a bit of a tailspin before Smith later clarified he offered the, "no comment,"...

More...

Bad decision. IMHO it positions him as a loner in his battle rather than a team player. I'd dispute the comment that he has plenty of time to bond with this teammates. Every second counts right now. There is even the possibility that it could divide the locker room, as those showing up at Jet's west are more likely to side with and perform for Sanchez over a loner prima donna.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good topic, wish someone had thought about it already!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Bad decision. IMHO it positions him as a loner in his battle rather than a team player. I'd dispute the comment that he has plenty of time to bond with this teammates. Every second counts right now. There is even the possibility that it could divide the locker room, as those showing up at Jet's west are more likely to side with and perform for Sanchez over a loner prima donna.
    Agreed, and this was the consensus of the group of people I was talking to at a bar last night. It's a ***** move

Practice Squad
    MEH! I don't think that Jets West thing is that big of a deal for Geno. Geno is behind in a lot of ways and he needs to come to camp in the best shape possible. He's got some things to work on that have NOTHING to do with his relationship with some WR, TE or RB. Geno has to improve his technique and his strenght etc. Geno is already a better athlete and thrower than Sanchez. He's more accurate and has more zip on his passes. What he needs is to get his legs in shape. Get his footwork down and so forth.

Apparently Geno is working with Bommarito Performance Systems. A lot of NFL and other pro athletes work with this company. I think that is smart. What is he gonna get out of a few days of light workouts and throwing the ball around as opposed to some serious work with a pro training company that prepares players for the NFL Combines and such? The Jets gave Geno his areas of need and i'm guessing he took that serious and went somewhere to work on those things. Geno isn't Mark. Geno is serious as sin about being a great NFL QB and he's willing to put in the work. I LOVE IT!!!

Geno is basically saying "F U Sanchez" "I'm coming for your job son"

He obviously didn't go to avoid making the entire thing awkward as ****. Its actually the TEAM thing to do. Why go and make the whole experience ****ty for everyone else? Its Marks event, let him run it. Who cares in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    He obviously didn't go to avoid making the entire thing awkward as ****. Its actually the TEAM thing to do. Why go and make the whole experience ****ty for everyone else? Its Marks event, let him run it. Who cares in the end.
    exactly. plus most of the attendees will be gone anyway. fast forward two years from now, the wrs/tes/rbs will have been overhauled (hopefully), and sanchez won't be there. let sanchez run his final jets west bs thing.

I would do the same if i am Geno. How could he benefit at all? Maybe he will learn how to do the Butt-Fumble the proper way? just sayin It's gunna be a good competition that's all I can say and I hope Geno comes into camp and really pushes for the job. Screw doing "the right thing"! He needs to do what's best to start the season behind center not holding a clipboard. I am not a Sanchez hater but I have lost any confidence in him as the Jets starting QB. He will have to really turn things around to make me change my mind and I hope he does. I just won't bet on it

Jets Insider VIP
    Jeez ...why didn't any of us dolts think to start a thread on this topic?

I think we need to start two more..

1) Rex in Pamplona

2) Aaron Hernandez arrested

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets West is a non-event run by a lame duck QB.

Geno shouldn't think twice about "skipping" it.

Jets West was a great idea for Sanchez because he is a West coast guy, so he got to practice during the day and go home at night.

Why would Geno want to take a cross-country flight to spend a few days in a hotel or in somenoe's spare bedroom just so he can split snaps with Sanchez?

Geno could just as easily bond with the players that stay local.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Agreed, and this was the consensus of the group of people I was talking to at a bar last night. It's a ***** move
    Were they inebriated?

They are in a direct competition. Both QBs will be in this offense for the first time. Sanchez has little or nothing in terms of insight to offer Geno. And even if he did he probably wouldn't b.c they are in a competition.

The only gripe is that at Jets West he would get extra work with his WRs and develop some camaraderie. But if he is the leader and personality that his former coaches and teammates make him out to be then he will have no problem doing that in training camp.

Practice Squad
    I went and checked out the Bommarito Performance System training and a TON of Top NFL guys are using them. The workouts look intense as heck! I think Geno is taking this serious as a heart attack. He is putting in the work on his body and I think everyone would admit he needed it. He didn't need to be out there playing around with Sanchez. What has that Jets West ever done for Sanchez or his teammates. It's a nice idea, but I don't think it's what Geno needs to win the starting Job, which is Geno's sole focus.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    I went and checked out the Bommarito Performance System training and a TON of Top NFL guys are using them. The workouts look intense as heck! I think Geno is taking this serious as a heart attack. He is putting in the work on his body and I think everyone would admit he needed it. He didn't need to be out there playing around with Sanchez. What has that Jets West ever done for Sanchez or his teammates. It's a nice idea, but I don't think it's what Geno needs to win the starting Job, which is Geno's sole focus.
    Just did the same...saw the alumni and some of the news stories about current NFL players training there.

Looked for a similar list from the four years of the certified Mark Sanchez vanity passing, drinking and dancing California training program but couldn't find anything but a 2014 Going Out of Business sign

Buzz,
    You need to stay out of those Pats bars, and find a nice Jets establishment to enjoy your adult beverages in.

What could he learn from Sanchez, who has proven to be the worst QB in the NFL the last 2 seasons. If Sanchez does start he will agian have no clue as to what an NFL QB shoild be doing. Camp West is a JOKE and should be trated as such. The countdown for the exit of Sanchez is in motion. Hopefully Geno will become the QB we need.

Sanchez is not good for this team, and it's not a good idea to let him go near any of our young players. Sanchez will only get worse, and it will be very ugly to watch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Caster View Post
    What could he learn from Sanchez, who has proven to be the worst QB in the NFL the last 2 seasons. If Sanchez does start he will agian have no clue as to what an NFL QB shoild be doing. Camp West is a JOKE and should be trated as such. The countdown for the exit of Sanchez is in motion. Hopefully Geno will become the QB we need.
    why would any rookie want to align themselves with sanchez, who has become one of the biggest jokes in the nfl?

Practice Squad
    No one has mentioned it but what probably sealed it for Geno is the Drunken Butt Video. Geno is not that kind of guy from all reports. I think he took one look at that and felt this is not a guy I need to be associated with. Mark is a clown and I think Geno realizes this.

I can understand why some think it was a bad move, but that's just sappy sentiment. This is a battle for the top job you can have in the NFL. Geno needs only worry about that and not people feelings. I hope he embarrasses Sanchez and takes the job, cuz I have very little faith in Sanchez.

He gets points for NOT going as far as I am concerned.