Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Geno Smith Skips Jets West

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    At first I really thought he should be there for team unity. But the more I thought about it, staying in Florida at a high performance training facility rather than a social event in SoCal makes me think he is real serious about the job and would earn my respect if I was on the team and serious about winning.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i stand by what i said the jets are going to regret drafting him and keeping suckchez..........seriously our front office is a bunch of morons..........

re-holding judgement on idzik needs more time but the rest absolute idiots

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Buzz,
    You need to stay out of those Pats bars, and find a nice Jets establishment to enjoy your adult beverages in.
    those are few and far in between here in southern ca. Really, whether Geno attends or not won't have any effect on his career but I think getting reps in with the receivers and being there for team-building would be the right move for our young QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Jets West is a non-event run by a lame duck QB.

Geno shouldn't think twice about "skipping" it.
    Exactly.
    I truly believe this is the best move. Lets not kid ourselves here. Mark Sanchez is NOT GOOD. Why be a part of his kind of preparation when the results are nonexistent.

In closing, will there even be any Jets coaches @ Jets West, or woulld Geno be taken under the loving wing of Marks Pappy?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    While Geno was in Florida training with coaches, Sanchez and company were throwing water balloons.

GENO IS SUCH A DAMN DIVA! LAZY! ENTITLED! BAD WORK ETHIC! MORE TALKING POINTS!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will preface this by saying I think Sanchez should and probably will be the starter this year. I just don't think Geno is ready.

Having said that, Geno's one and only responsibility right now is to himself. His sole responsibility is getting better as an NFL QB. Not building friendships on the team, not training with his competition. He needs to solely focus on himself and doing everything and anything that makes HIM a better NFL QB. He can worry about comraderie and friendships once he's become the starting QB. Until then he needs to worry about himself. He has no reason going to Jets West. It's not something that makes him a better QB. Becoming a better QB involves him being around and training with people who make him better. His teammates will like him just fine when he wins the starting job and shows he can win on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I will preface this by saying I think Sanchez should and probably will be the starter this year. I just don't think Geno is ready.

Having said that, Geno's one and only responsibility right now is to himself. His sole responsibility is getting better as an NFL QB. Not building friendships on the team, not training with his competition. He needs to solely focus on himself and doing everything and anything that makes HIM a better NFL QB. He can worry about comraderie and friendships once he's become the starting QB. Until then he needs to worry about himself. He has no reason going to Jets West. It's not something that makes him a better QB. Becoming a better QB involves him being around and training with people who make him better. His teammates will like him just fine when he wins the starting job and shows he can win on the field.
    this, and the reality that the offensive skill positions should be pretty much turned over in another year or two. if he impresses the coaches, the players will follow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So is he going to organize Jets East instead? Judging from the pictures above he has a lot of work to do on his footwork.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post

Hmmm, I kinda thought football was a team sport, but hey, what do I know?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    So is he going to organize Jets East instead? Judging from the pictures above he has a lot of work to do on his footwork.
    Here's the thing. It's really a stretch to say that the "Jets West" camp has done anything to actually help the offense. Maybe it's built team unity, but Sanchez was among the worst QBs in the league in 3 of his 4 seasons. The Jets offense completely came apart in 2011. So, what exactly has been the upside. Other than Braylon Edwards, Sanchez has never looked on the same page as any of his receivers, and in the first season, he wasn't even there yet.

Objectively speaking, Jets West hasn't really done any good for the team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's face it...media was going to hammer Geno regardless of what he did. Either he's blowing off his team mates or he's ceding the job to Sanchez. I'd rather Geno get ready for camp in a comfortable, familiar environment and come in camp ready to roll.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Agreed, and this was the consensus of the group of people I was talking to at a bar last night. It's a ***** move
    Actually, looking at the Steve Young dynamic (traded from Tampa Bay to sit behind Joe Montana). Montana took that team and in two years solidified his place in the pantsy-yawn...all while Steve Young was NOT being a good soldier. It was brutally contentious for 3 years; until MOntana chose the Chiefs. Young was always pushing for a start; and aggressively so.

Geno Smith is no Steve Young (yet)...but I like what I am seeing from him.

The players have no loyalty beyond who can start and win now; Geno is looking good to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsluva View Post
    No one has mentioned it but what probably sealed it for Geno is the Drunken Butt Video. Geno is not that kind of guy from all reports. I think he took one look at that and felt this is not a guy I need to be associated with. Mark is a clown and I think Geno realizes this.

I can understand why some think it was a bad move, but that's just sappy sentiment. This is a battle for the top job you can have in the NFL. Geno needs only worry about that and not people feelings. I hope he embarrasses Sanchez and takes the job, cuz I have very little faith in Sanchez.
    +5

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Hmmm, I kinda thought football was a team sport, but hey, what do I know?
    Obviously. But would you rather Geno work on becoming a better player or becoming a better buddy to Sanchez and a few jags? He gains nothing really from a football perspective going to Jets West. Seriously, is Mark gonna teach him something? I'd rather he be working with people certified in training NFL players to be better at their craft. He made the right choice. He'll be able to become buddies with his teammates plenty of other times, especially when he's good enough to take over the starting job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The simple fact is Sanchez the QB is fading rapidly. If the CS can anyway put Geno in the starting job they would to do so.

So I can see no benefit whatsoever in Geno attending Jets west. He's not practicing with the CS and he'll get plenty of reps with his receivers in TC.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Bad decision. IMHO it positions him as a loner in his battle rather than a team player. I'd dispute the comment that he has plenty of time to bond with this teammates. Every second counts right now. There is even the possibility that it could divide the locker room, as those showing up at Jet's west are more likely to side with and perform for Sanchez over a loner prima donna.
    Meh. Geno was in an awkward position.

IMO going to Jets West would have NOT been a good decision for Geno.

If Geno goes to Jets West, he puts himself in a subordinate position to Mark Sanchez. This is Mark Sanchez's thing, its his hometown, Sanchez calls the shots there.

Thats probably the main reason why Geno didn't go, because he didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to Sanchez in a football setting, not because he's some ultra loner or something.

If this happened in a more neutral setting or was set up and run by a non QB then I'm sure Geno would have attended.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by houyx; 07-13-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    Let's face it...media was going to hammer Geno regardless of what he did. Either he's blowing off his team mates or he's ceding the job to Sanchez. I'd rather Geno get ready for camp in a comfortable, familiar environment and come in camp ready to roll.
    I totally agree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok well here's a question I just thought of and excuse me if it was already mentioned before. Has Geno talked to the coaching staff about what would be best in this decision? I would think that he would do what they thought was best no? Being that they drafted him to play QB it tells me that they want him to play ASAP. To me I think they would tell him to get ready for camp and don't waste your time flying out there to learn from the guy you are trying to beat for a job. Just Sayin

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    i stand by what i said the jets are going to regret drafting him and keeping suckchez..........seriously our front office is a bunch of morons..........

re-holding judgement on idzik needs more time but the rest absolute idiots
    What would you have proposed they do?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark posing with some fine NFLN ladies while Geno is working with receivers and coaches in Florida. GENO IS A DAMN DIVA! ENTITLED! LAZY! TALKING POINTS!