Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez: I'll 'absolutely' start

All Pro

Mark Sanchez: I'll 'absolutely' start

MISSION VIEJO, Calif. -- New York Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith did not attend Mark Sanchez's annual "Jets West" camp, but Sanchez, saying he will be the starting quarterback when the season begins, did not hold that against his new teammate.

"I don't hold it against any of the guys who can't make it," Sanchez said Friday after a two-hour practice. "There are no hard feelings about anything like [that]. Greg [McElroy] isn't here, [Matt] Simms isn't here, some guys are gone getting married. They're doing stuff. There are plenty of other things they could be doing. If they could make the sacrifice and be here, awesome. If they can't, that's totally fine. I would never hold a grudge against anybody that's not here."

When Sanchez was asked if he would win the quarterback competition in training camp, he said, "Absolutely."

Jets blog
    Jets Looking for more on
    the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Sanchez actually was the only Jets quarterback in attendance as 12 skill players went through drills at Mission Viejo High School, Sanchez's alma mater.

Sanchez reached out to USC, his college alma mater, and quarterbacks Max Wittek and Cody Kessler -- who will be competing for the Trojans' starting job this season -- assisted Sanchez with quarterback duties.

This is the fourth year Sanchez has held "Jets West" in his hometown as a way to build team chemistry and for Sanchez to get a head start on the offense. That was even more important this offseason, with the Jets hiring a new offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg, after last season's disappointing 6-10 finish.

"I love this West Coast system," Sanchez said. "I think the terminology is quarterback-friendly. I think the reads are quarterback-friendly. I think we're moving along at a good clip and we're right where we want to be, but we'll iron out some of the hiccups in training camp and get this thing right. It's important for a quarterback to have a good rapport with his wideouts. I don't want to take anything away from Marty. I'm trying to reiterate what Marty said."

It has been an eventful offseason for Sanchez, who made a splash online last month when a video of him dancing at a house party -- with his rear end exposed -- went viral.

"Obviously, the video is a little embarrassing," Sanchez said. "It's just a good reminder that you're in the spotlight and need to be ever watchful and careful of who you're with, what you're doing. Whether it's harmless, whether you're in the privacy of your own setting and you think everything is fine and you're safe. You just got to be careful. That's just a good example ... I have to work on my tan line, I think."

Even Sanchez's long locks and headband have drawn the ridicule of fans online.

"Things like the headband, you just have to live your life," Sanchez said. "You have to be happy with who you are and have a good time enjoying something you love and playing the game you love."

Some of the key players who worked out with Sanchez at "Jets West" included Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, Chris Ivory, Konrad Reuland, Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Winslow.

Winslow, who signed last month, said he was impressed with Sanchez's leadership and command of the huddle during their time together.

"He's a leader, man," Winslow said. "He's a quarterback. He handles himself well in meetings. He handles himself like a pro. He handles himself like a coach. In meetings, I'm real impressed with him. He knows what everybody's doing."

Winslow didn't want to handicap the quarterback race or say which one he preferred.

"I don't know how to answer that," he said. "Whenever it's competition, it just goes down to the last preseason game usually. That's how it usually works."

Sanchez said he looks forward to entering training camp later this month and said he's betting on himself coming out as the winner.

"When it comes down to a competition, I just put my money on myself and go play and win the job," Sanchez said. "If that's what it's going to be like and it's been made clear, that's what it is, all right, let's go."
    Thoughts?

Is Sanchez growing some confidence here? Or is this just the same ol' charade with Mark?

I like the confidence. Now go do something with it for once, you Nacho.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Exactly!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Thoughts?

Is Sanchez growing some confidence here? Or is this just the same ol' charade with Mark?
    Same old big preseason talk

Followed by inseason turnovers, sulks, hangdog looks and excuses

Practice Squad
    I wouldn't expect Mark to respond any other way. He should believe in himself.
    Mark is a good guy overall. He makes some mistakes in judgment like any human. The possibility still remains that he can put it together and perform at a high level for this team under this OC. He'll have every opportunity to prove that.

The thing is Mark has had every edge in this competition with Geno. He's had the playbook longer along with access to the coaching staff and film room. Mark has of course been in the NFL for 4 yrs and he also had a training session with Jeff Garcia on the WCO. This all worked in his favor and yet he still couldn't completely separate himself from Geno and complete neophyte to the NFL and NFL level D, the WCO and any offense where he has to take the ball from under center and Geno had to cram all of his learning into a very short period of time. Mark IMO is simply what he has shown himself to be over the yrs.

I don't believe he's a very good QB. That doesn't mean he can't play better. I just think his ceiling isn't very high and that Geno has a much higher ceiling and hasn't come close yet to maximizing his talent as a QB. He's already at parity with Sanchez and he just got started, so who do you think should be the QB of this team going forward?

Bewildered Beast
    I don't care; but take a look at how Winslow is behaving. It sounds as if he has a real head on his shoulders; and if he's going all in with Mark (by speaking to the media) then I was wrong about him; I thought he was another punk (similar to Hernandez).

They have my attention; whatchoogot, Nacho?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I don't care; but take a look at how Winslow is behaving. It sounds as if he has a real head on his shoulders; and if he's going all in with Mark (by speaking to the media) then I was wrong about him; I thought he was another punk (similar to Hernandez).

They have my attention; whatchoogot, Nacho?
    Or, Winslow just realized that everyone in the NFL is on thin ice right now in terms of poor behavior.

Anyway, he's an ex-Cleveland guy, so it should work out nicely in NY.

All Pro
    some guys are gone getting married.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I think this is what Sanchez should be doing. Not marrying some wide eyed little girl, or some aged b list actress. If he would meet someone that actually called him on his BS, and he had the character to appreciate that, it would go a long way to making a man out of him. Right from the beginning, the girls, the modeling, and the practical jokes, were always a nagging concern of mine. I wrote it off as him being very young, but he has gotten worse rather than better. I don't care about people's lifestyle choices, and you need to take advantage of your opportunities to be wild, or you'll never appreciate a deeper relationship, and a family, because you'll always wonder what it would have been like. That said, this should be old for him by now. This speaks to his character. Everything has come too easy for him in his life, and that's his fault. He should set a higher standard for himself.

Hall Of Fame
    Will they be doing anything special to celebrate the final season of Jets West?

I wish Sanchez could have acted half this confident last year. I was extremely hopeful that he could turn things around and was shocked at how awful he played. Part of that could have been due to how opposed I was to Tebow being on the team. Now, I don't believe a word Sanchez says- he's sounding scripted- it's easy to say you're going to play better and win the starting job but a daunting task to follow through. Not to mention that he looks like a p**** with that girly hair/headband on- he should go play soccer once the Jets cut him.

Jets Insider VIP
    I like it too, but he really does have to seize control. Maybe he's pissed off and matured enough to do so. Even if he has, it might not be enough to keep him around, but at least he isn't rolling over and being all "meh".

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I like it too, but he really does have to seize control. Maybe he's pissed off and matured enough to do so. Even if he has, it might not be enough to keep him around, but at least he isn't rolling over and being all "meh".
    Well it took Alex Smith time before he showed anything I suppose with Marty there is always a chance something may click with Mark.. Better yet maybe Geno pulls a Kaepernick and shows some real talent..

it's good to hear mark speak that way... good NFL QB's need to have unwavering confidence. Look at how Eli and Flacco spoke about themselves before the last two seasons. They were ripped for saying they thought they were great and each one of them ended up with a lombardi. mark's head has been his own worst enemy at times-- the "happy feet", the bad body language, slumped shoulders, etc. mark was fortunate to be drafted on his talent despite his limited experience and he's already made his money. if he wants to actually continue playing he's going to have to make the decision that he wants to succeed and accept no less from himself. here's to hoping for a real QB controversy
    Last edited by cant wait; 07-13-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Well it took Alex Smith time before he showed anything I suppose with Marty there is always a chance something may click with Mark.. Better yet maybe Geno pulls a Kaepernick and shows some real talent..
    Alex Smith started "showing something" when he had a top running game and OLine. Even so, David Akers was the best part of their Offense.

Even so, David Akers was the best part of their Offense.
    Akers made a 60-yarder in game 1 of the '12 season and was receiving death threats by the end of the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Alex Smith started "showing something" when he had a top running game and OLine. Even so, David Akers was the best part of their Offense.
    He's had Frank Gore since he was a rookie.. Harbaugh and the staff seemed to wake him up though..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He's had Frank Gore since he was a rookie.. Harbaugh and the staff seemed to wake him up though..
    Mad overrated, imo. Good game-manager when you have an elite team around him, but definitely not the guy who's gonna carry the franchise. There's a reason Hardballz got rid of him the second he could.

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Akers made a 60-yarder in game 1 of the '12 season and was receiving death threats by the end of the season.
    2011 apparently never happened, lol.

Yeah, he showed Harbaugh that he's too limited to take the 49ers to the promised land.

Geno Smith is our Kaepernick and it's only a matter of time before the job is his. And yes, like Kaepernick, Geno has big time upside. He throws a beautiful ball, has a strong arm, and runs in the 4.5s. It's up to the Jets not to **** this one up.