Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez: I'll 'absolutely' start

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He was getting nailed regularly. Of course he was going to fumble. Most QBs are going to fumble when they get hit that much. The point is that he hangs in there and makes some great throws.
    If you read his scouting reports, fumbles are a concern. Small hands. He had too many fumbles in his collegiate career. Hope it can be corrected

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    The WVU offensive line wasn't very good and their defense wasn't good either. the point is that statistically Geno is very good with pressure in his face. Also he didn't throw a lot of interceptions despite being harassed in the pocket.

You really have to go look at all the film on Geno and then put that together with the stats he put up and you get an overall picture of a guy that has a strong and accurate arm and a QB who was mostly very good under pressure.
    He should do better with a solid OL in the pros. Sanchez just doesn't have the ability that Geno has shown. Mark can't make that deep out pattern throw and he can't even throw a screen pass. Mark is horrible under pressure since he throws up soft lame duck passes into coverage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    If you read his scouting reports, fumbles are a concern. Small hands. He had too many fumbles in his collegiate career. Hope it can be corrected
    wadeasekund... wadeasekund... you're concerned about fumbles for the QB who is going to replace the big handed bust who has probably fumbled more times the last two seasons than almost any QB in history, including the most famous fumble of them all???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thankfully, Sanchez will not be making this decision, so it doesn't matter what he has to say.

I've heard enough of his dumb crap

"I'll absolutely start the lawnmower" would be much more realistic
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 07-15-2013 at 12:30 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you people should watch game film, if you're going to judge players.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Thankfully, Sanchez will not be making this decision, so it doesn't matter what he has to say.

I've heard enough of his dumb crap

"I'll absolutely start the lawnmower" would be much more realistic
    In fairness Wrecks is the head case err coach! Sanchez is his boy! Geno is a very raw rookie. It would take divine intervention for Geno to be our starting QB. In essence Wrecks handed the ball to Sanchez without a real QB competition!

Perhaps McElroy could step it up? But he will not be given a chance.

Wrecks does not change!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    In fairness Wrecks is the head case err coach! Sanchez is his boy! Geno is a very raw rookie. It would take divine intervention for Geno to be our starting QB. In essence Wrecks handed the ball to Sanchez without a real QB competition!

Wrecks does not change!
    I doubt that's case very much.
    Maybe in the past... Not like there was a better option, either- which doesn't fall on Rex. (Tebow was NOT an option)
    He wanted to kill Sanchez by the end of last year.
    I seriously doubt his feelings have changed.
    If the competition is close, Geno starts.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you should re read the scouting reports. They talk about fumbles and blame him?

And they complain that he has small hands? Or did every internet scout, here, decide that since his hands are smaller than Sanchez's they're small. And if his hands are smaller than Marks, then it's just common sense that he'll fumble more than Mark.

Tell me how small they are and how small they are to every other QB. This is why scouting is much, much more than reading numbers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post

Wrecks does not change!
    It always helps make the case when something this silly is written.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Maybe you should re read the scouting reports. They talk about fumbles and blame him?

And they complain that he has small hands? Or did every internet scout, here, decide that since his hands are smaller than Sanchez's they're small. And if his hands are smaller than Marks, then it's just common sense that he'll fumble more than Mark.

Tell me how small they are and how small they are to every other QB. This is why scouting is much, much more than reading numbers.
    Or watch the game film. He wasn't fumbling in the classic sense from small hands. This was a gadget offense, in the shotgun with guys motioning in front of him, reverses, pitches, and laterals. Every time the ball hits the ground it's a fumble on the QB, even if he picks it right back up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Oh no question Rex had his fingerprints all over the offense. He mandated G&P which had everyone happy in 2009-2010 when they had the horses and RB's to use that scheme. Since then G&P has been as useful as a condom at Cro's house. But Rex had the vision of how to run a team - a myopic vision and when it failed his QB and offense in total bore the brunt for his shortsightedness.

Mikey T shares some blame in not restocking the cupboards
    . Also Sanchez was pitiful last year but as I've said countless times what QB would have flourished in the Rex/Sparano G&P scheme with the boatload of talent they had on O last year.

MM/Lee is a step in right direction. let them design and call the O and hopefully with an infusion of talent in the next couple years they may finally have am O to talk about. Blaming Sanchez is the lame excuse for an orginizational failure.
    This was the biggest problem with Tanny and the entire O. They were committed to G&P (which only works with a dominant O-line) and they let the o-line deteriorate.

It's actually mind boggling how they did that - all involved, Tanny, Rex, Callahan etc...should all be blamed for that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Or watch the game film. He wasn't fumbling in the classic sense from small hands. This was a gadget offense, in the shotgun with guys motioning in front of him, reverses, pitches, and laterals. Every time the ball hits the ground it's a fumble on the QB, even if he picks it right back up.
    Amazing isn't it how clueless people are.

Love the small hands theory, it's all thats wrong with people thinking they know more than everyone else based on a number they don't know the meaning of.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody interviews better than Mark, he says all the things you would ever want your QB to say to the press... then on the field he does all the things you would never want him to do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This was the biggest problem with Tanny and the entire O. They were committed to G&P (which only works with a dominant O-line) and they let the o-line deteriorate.

It's actually mind boggling how they did that - all involved, Tanny, Rex, Callahan etc...should all be blamed for that.
    I wouldn't say they "let" it deteriorate. They tried to keep the OL strong. They drafted Ducasse early. He just turned out to be terrible. And Colin Baxter never would have been playing if Ducasse didn't break his leg.

People also don't understand how good Damien Woody was. He may have been the best RT while he was here. That's tough to replace.

I also think the Jets should have drafted Cordy Glenn instead of Hill.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Amazing isn't it how clueless people are.

Love the small hands theory, it's all thats wrong with people thinking they know more than everyone else based on a number they don't know the meaning of.
    The other thing I love is that people say Geno's numbers were inflated because of Austin and Bailey's YAC. Look at where Geno put the ball! He has the ability to put the ball in places that allows his WRs to make plays. Isn't that what you want from your QB?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    The other thing I love is that people say Geno's numbers were inflated because of Austin and Bailey's YAC. Look at where Geno put the ball! He has the ability to put the ball in places that allows his WRs to make plays. Isn't that what you want from your QB?
    Very few people seem to realize that.

It's like people around here don't have eyes or something!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Very few people seem to realize that.

It's like people around here don't have eyes or something!
    Any College QB who gets to play with 2 true NFL caliber receivers better put up good numbers.

Smith might have had better receivers last year then he has this year and will be playing against MUCH (MUCH) better defenses than anything he saw in college.

I personally think the only thing Smith has going for him is his name isn't Sanchez. Hopefully we find out that Smith can't cut it this season so we can draft another QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Any College QB who gets to play with 2 true NFL caliber receivers better put up good numbers.

Smith might have had better receivers last year then he has this year and will be playing against MUCH (MUCH) better defenses than anything he saw in college.

I personally think the only thing Smith has going for him is his name isn't Sanchez. Hopefully we find out that Smith can't cut it this season so we can draft another QB.
    So you're rooting for a second round pick to fail?

How about the rest of the draft...praying for them to be busts, too??

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    So you're rooting for a second round pick to fail?

How about the rest of the draft...praying for them to be busts, too??
    IKR. I am tired of watching Sanchez stink up the field but I'll hope he does well as long as he's a Jet. That goes for Geno or any other Jet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A QB handles the ball on every offensive play. Any physical characteristic (small hands) that would call into question his ability to handle the ball reliably is obviously a concern until it becomes not a concern.

Is it an "oh my God" concern at this point? No it is not but he does apparently have small hands for the position he plays and he does have for whatever reason, a record of putting the ball on the ground at a high rate. Those are facts. Those are measurable metrics. They are not invented.

At the NFL level the number of things which will affect the QB's ability to do his job properly and the speed at which those thing happen is magnified immensely. If your team has a weakness, any weakness that can be exploited, especially at the QB position, then you can be sure that defensive coordinators are going to game plan for that.

Do I think that a QB with big hands is a lock to be a great QB? No, of course I do not. Do I think that a QB with very small hands can never be a successful QB in the NFL no matter what? No, I don't think that but what I do believe is that that all other things being equal, larger hands give a physical advantage to a QB.

So am I concerned? Yes, I am concerned a little. Am I worried sick over this? No I am not. But to declare this as a non issue without any evidence that his fumbling is behind him is nothing more than wishful thinking at this point.