Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mark Sanchez: I'll 'absolutely' start

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    If you read his scouting reports, fumbles are a concern. Small hands. He had too many fumbles in his collegiate career. Hope it can be corrected
    You forgot to mention that Geno has a tendency to float deep sideline passes, struggles in bad weather, locks in on receivers, played primarily in the shotgun, doesnt set his feet properly, has poor blitz awareness, has small hands with below average grip strength, tends to sulk when things dont go well, doesnt handle adversity well and gets down on himself

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    A QB handles the ball on every offensive play. Any physical characteristic (small hands) that would call into question his ability to handle the ball reliably is obviously a concern until it becomes not a concern.

Is it an "oh my God" concern at this point? No it is not but he does apparently have small hands for the position he plays and he does have for whatever reason, a record of putting the ball on the ground at a high rate. Those are facts. Those are measurable metrics. They are not invented.

At the NFL level the number of things which will affect the QB's ability to do his job properly and the speed at which those thing happen is magnified immensely. If your team has a weakness, any weakness that can be exploited, especially at the QB position, then you can be sure that defensive coordinators are going to game plan for that.

Do I think that a QB with big hands is a lock to be a great QB? No, of course I do not. Do I think that a QB with very small hands can never be a successful QB in the NFL no matter what? No, I don't think that but what I do believe is that that all other things being equal, larger hands give a physical advantage to a QB.

So am I concerned? Yes, I am concerned a little. Am I worried sick over this? No I am not. But to declare this as a non issue without any evidence that his fumbling is behind him is nothing more than wishful thinking at this point.
    Sanchez has very large hands, they don't help with his fumbling however.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    You forgot to mention that Geno has a tendency to float deep sideline passes, struggles in bad weather, locks in on receivers, played primarily in the shotgun, doesnt set his feet properly, has poor blitz awareness, has small hands with below average grip strength, tends to sulk when things dont go well, doesnt handle adversity well and gets down on himself
    No where in the scouting reports does it say anything about geno not protecting, or dropping the ball. In fact the scouting reports claim he can take a hit and protect the ball. All his fumbles come from the shotgun, or from laterals, backward screens, and reverses.

All that said, which has been said before, and ignored, the best way to see the kind of QB he is is to watch the film. You should spend more time watching film, and less time whining.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why this irrational and over the top hatred for Smith, kennyZERO7?

As for that list of football things you listed....just about all of them (sulking, locking in, doesn't handle adversity well, gets down on himself, poor blitz awareness) apply more to the four year career of your boy, Buttfumble than to what I've seen in actually watch Smith play at WVU.

I seriously think your unrelenting hatred of Smith is based on something way more than his draft position or his football attributes

Jets Insider VIP
    I saw a few games last year in person at WV and lost some faith in Geno down the stretch.

However, he has a skill set, IMO, that CAN be translated to NFL success.

My concern is that his 2 WR's at WV were part of his success. throwing to our WR's is, well, a bit below what he is used to.

Bottom line we know, have known past 4 years mark Sanchez blows. We were patient with him for hope of "what if" he got worse. It happens.. Most teams do not give a scrub so long of a chance.. Geno definitely will be better than Sanchez, it's near impossibly to be worse.. But that doesn't mean just because geno is better than mark would should be satisfied. Thats setting the bar very low we should not settle for just being better than sanchez..It's going to be tough, to be fair can't judge geno as a rookie, hopefully he becomes good quick because after replacing Sanchez this franchise and fans aren't going to have the patience to let kid develop after giving Sanchez way too much time as starter..

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    No where in the scouting reports does it say anything about geno not protecting, or dropping the ball. In fact the scouting reports claim he can take a hit and protect the ball. All his fumbles come from the shotgun, or from laterals, backward screens, and reverses.

All that said, which has been said before, and ignored, the best way to see the kind of QB he is is to watch the film. You should spend more time watching film, and less time whining.
    Im sorry I have a job and family and dont have the time to break down film so I depend on those who make a living at breaking down film. Read the reports.

Ive seen him play in a couple of games and was not terribly impressed. Being better than Mark Sanchez is not good enough.

Practice Squad
    This is a post full of false or exaggerated statements.

Geno is actually highly accurate and puts good zip on his out pattern passes.
    Geno had huge games in bad weather which is easy to look up.

Smith was actually 4-1 in cold weather games during his Mountaineer career.
    The loss to Syracuse was the only loss of his career in games where the temperature was under 41 degrees. In fact, Smith completed over 70 percent of his passes for more than 1,200 yards and 10 touchdowns without throwing a pick in those five games.
    Geno's hands are actually average for an NFL QB, not small. There's a huge difference.

As for all the little technical flaws you mention like his feet, locking in on receivers etc. Those are just exaggerations of issues he may have had in college. This is why QB's go thru training to get better at those things. It's not a permanent condition for a developing QB.

The most valid criticism is the part about Geno learning the proper footwork on 3, 5 or 7 step drops. The only thing that he needs is tons of reps and lots of work as he's been doing to get the rhythm and timing down and to be able to perfect the motion etc.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Sanchez has very large hands, they don't help with his fumbling however.
    Sanchez has other issues. A small organ between the ears being one of them.

You have no idea what you're talking. Geno is awesome against the blitz. Two of his biggest strengths are poise in the pocket and ball placement.

Poise in the Pocket

Smith completed 70.8 percent of his passes when opponents sent five or more pass rushers last season, the highest completion percentage against the blitz of Scouts Inc.ís top eight QB prospects.

Passing vs Blitz

Final College Season

Griffin III Smith
    Comp pct 70.2 70.8
    Yds per att 11.8 8.7
    TD-Int 11-0 12-1
    20+ yd comp 18 14

Smith was able to exploit blitzing defenses in much the same way that Robert Griffin III did in his final season of college. Griffin III went on to lead the NFL with a 96.8 Total QBR against the blitz.

Further, Smith was sacked 19 times in 571 dropbacks last season. He was able to scramble for 253 yards when forced out of the pocket as well as complete 49.5 percent of his passes when under duress (avg FBS quarterback completed only 40 percent).

Ball Placement

West Virginia gained 2,459 yards after the catch last season, most of any school in an AQ conference. While the Mountaineers had one of the best receiving duos in the nation in Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey, a lot of their success was due to Smithís ball placement.

The Mountaineers averaged 6.5 yards after the catch per reception and gained at least five yards after the catch on 44 percent of their receptions last season.

To put that into perspective, Baylor averaged 6.3 yards after the catch per reception while running a similar offense with Griffin at quarterback.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...ith-geno-smith

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I saw a few games last year in person at WV and lost some faith in Geno down the stretch.

However, he has a skill set, IMO, that CAN be translated to NFL success.

My concern is that his 2 WR's at WV were part of his success. throwing to our WR's is, well, a bit below what he is used to.
    Why? Geno put the ball on the money and maximized Austin and Bailey's talents. That's what you want the QB to do. I don't think this is a case of the WRs making the QB look good. It's a case of a good QB putting the ball where it needs to be and letting his WRs do their thing.

The guy is a pure QB. It's up to the Jets to bring him along properly.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post

The guy is a pure QB. It's up to the Jets to bring him along properly.
    Welp, he's boned.

All League
    So Geno is the next RG3. He should win this QB competition blindfolded

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    So Geno is the next RG3. He should win this QB competition blindfolded
    Who said that? The point was that he possesses traits that make for a successful QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    The other thing I love is that people say Geno's numbers were inflated because of Austin and Bailey's YAC. Look at where Geno put the ball! He has the ability to put the ball in places that allows his WRs to make plays. Isn't that what you want from your QB?
    Wonder if these same football geniuses think that Rice made Montana? And Young? That Marino was a product of the Marks Bro's?

Funny how just about every great QB has great WRs around him. Amazing how that seems to work out.

Practice Squad
    What it comes down to is that Fans that are bashing Geno often are using the media talking points which aren't a true reflection of his talent. There's a reason he was being looked at as a Heisman winner early in the year and that he ended up the #1 QB prospect.

I'd advise people to just look at every game video they can and pay attention to what he was able to do. NO he wasn't perfect and he had things to work on coming out of college, but the key things that you want in a QB Geno has those talents. Strong Arm, Touch and Placement of the ball, can man all the throws, moves well in the pocket, stays focused down field with pressure in his face... Really it's not even a question of who is better. Is anyone saying these things about Sanchez! On almost all of the points I just listed Sanchez is not considered strong in those areas. Sanchez has shown almost no progress and that's not good.

Geno is already making some strides. Once Geno gets more comfortable he should be much better than Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    since minicamp, Smith has been working with professionals in Florida on improving the things he had to improve to move from the NCAA to the NFL and, reportedly studying the playbook and learning the offense doggedly.

The fifth year starter he is competing with has been performing drunk and barebutted on a youtube video with a gaggle of bimbos and staging his annual vanity "Look at Me" camp with only 10 other participants (none of the 3 other QBs on the roster chose to waste their time there), press conferences for the Semens and Mehtas and water balloon fights.....

And Smith already looked as good (or maybe better) than Buttfumble did at the minicamp and OTAs...

The good thing for Sanchez is that in 2013 rooted to the bench, his turnover count will go down from an average of 26 for two seasons to and average of only 17.333 for three seasons before he begins his career as a backup quarterback for some other team in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    since minicamp, Smith has been working with professionals in Florida on improving the things he had to improve to move from the NCAA to the NFL and, reportedly studying the playbook and learning the offense doggedly.

The fifth year starter he is competing with has been performing drunk and barebutted on a youtube video with a gaggle of bimbos and staging his annual vanity "Look at Me" camp with only 10 other participants (none of the 3 other QBs on the roster chose to waste their time there), press conferences for the Semens and Mehtas and water balloon fights.....

And Smith already looked as good (or maybe better) than Buttfumble did at the minicamp and OTAs...

The good thing for Sanchez is that in 2013 rooted to the bench, his turnover count will go down from an average of 26 for two seasons to and average of only 17.333 for three seasons before he begins his career as a backup quarterback for some other team in 2014
    when your 5th year qb behaves like this and your rookie qb is out of sight practicing, it tells you a lot about they relative respect they would command in the huddle.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Wonder if these same football geniuses think that Rice made Montana? And Young? That Marino was a product of the Marks Bro's?

Funny how just about every great QB has great WRs around him. Amazing how that seems to work out.
    Unmmmm even funnier how Rice was rated higher as a football player by NFL players and coaches then either Montana (my favorite player by the way) or Young... Yeah really funny how that works out.

Simple even great players need quality players around them to succeed. To argue otherwise is to belie common sense!!!