Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 free agents???

All League
    I think next years free agent class has some really good names at positions the Jets could really use upgrades. Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks and Mike Williams would all be welcome upgrades at WR.

1 outstanding TE could be available in Graham, and solid Brandon Pettigrew may also be available.

Jairus Byrd would look great in Green and White.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The only stud QB that may be available, and he probably won't be, is Jay Cutler. The QB position is going to be addressed via Geno Smith or the Jets taking one of the six or seven 1st round QB prospects next season. The cap room that we have next off-season should be used on locking up guys like Muhammad Wilkerson for the long-term as well as taking a look at the WR and FS market. Until we can manage to find a true FS our defense will never be dominate. That is a must.
    I wouldnt say stud Cutler is average and has attitude issues. You may also have Vick too but yeah I hope not. One thing is for sure Chicago isnt resigning Cutler. I am shocked they didnt try to trade him. 1 of 6? Who are the 6 QBs you think are worth a 1st next year? Not one SR is worth a 4th IMO. Next years QB class may actually be the weakest SR class I have ever seen. Too many people are being the grass is greener. Carr, Boyd, Murrey, McCarron, Fales and Thomas are your top SRs in that order. These are not good pro QB prospects. I am sorry your not going to see a mass declare of 2015 QB either. Also do you really want anther underclassman QB? I dont. Even the top underclassman Teddy I would say looked any better then Geno. Teddy is a huge risk, I actually wouldnt tough him with a ten foot pole. If your talking anyone of those guys do yourself a favor and wait till 2015. Hope to god we arent reaching for a QB next year. Lets see who can string 2 or 3 good season together for a change before we blow a 1st on one. Really feel this team made the right move taking Geno. At very least he buys you time till a good QB class comes back around.

All Pro
    I'd take Jeremy Maclin and run away.

He's a difference maker when he's right.

Had we not traded up for #6- we could've pulled in Maclin and McCoy for those two picks, I've always thought about that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Agree - locking up our own guys is very important and hopefully what the plan is for a lot of our cap space.

Im also amazed at even the hint of a mention of a player like Rivers. The chance of success with a veteran FA QB is extremely remote and is one of the consistent errors this organization has made in the past. Yes, we made a champ game with Vinny, but from Boomer to Neil Odonnel to Favre, shows it just doesnt work. Rivers would set the team back years if we brought him here.

One FA that I do think could be an excellent fit for us, and also not a terrible use of a large contract would be Nicks. We are going to need help at WR and he is very young for a "veteran".
    Kurt Warner worked well for the Cards but that's the exception..

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    think jimmy graham is a fa next year
    I want him in a Jet uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    I think next years free agent class has some really good names at positions the Jets could really use upgrades. Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks and Mike Williams would all be welcome upgrades at WR.

1 outstanding TE could be available in Graham, and solid Brandon Pettigrew may also be available.

Jairus Byrd would look great in Green and White.
    Besides Graham, who is going to make a fortune next season and is worth the money, the only name you mention that's interesting is Nicks. I would just LOVE to snatch Nicks away from the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I want him in a Jet uniform.
    I can't see any way the Saints let him just walk. If they can't get an extension done during this season, he is a lock to be franchised. You think the Saints are going to let one of Brees' favorite young targets just walk away? Good franchises like that don't do that. Consider him off the table.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Besides Graham, who is going to make a fortune next season and is worth the money, the only name you mention that's interesting is Nicks. I would just LOVE to snatch Nicks away from the Giants.
    Well then you must not want the Jets to improve. The WR's would all be a serious upgrade, and Nicks isn't necessarily the best of the bunch by any stretch.

Jairus Byrd doesn't interest you? One of the best safeties in the NFL, entering his prime, and possibly stealing him from a divisional rival, does't interest you? Considering Safety appears to be a huge hole on the defense, it would be an absolutely great signing.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I can't see any way the Saints let him just walk. If they can't get an extension done during this season, he is a lock to be franchised. You think the Saints are going to let one of Brees' favorite young targets just walk away? Good franchises like that don't do that. Consider him off the table.
    He will also want like 8 mill a year. Likely if they want him back they will tag him and try to get him on a discount. For what it is worth the Pats have cut ways with their top receiver or TE almost every other year so have the Steelers to a point. Heck GB just let Jennings walk. Good QBs can throw to anyone. Sometimes it is about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeJet View Post
    Well then you must not want the Jets to improve. The WR's would all be a serious upgrade, and Nicks isn't necessarily the best of the bunch by any stretch.

Jairus Byrd doesn't interest you? One of the best safeties in the NFL, entering his prime, and possibly stealing him from a divisional rival, does't interest you? Considering Safety appears to be a huge hole on the defense, it would be an absolutely great signing.
    Britt in NJ is a bad idea for everyone. The rest are average guys. Decker I like but he is mainly white hype. This is coming from a white guy. I like him but we already have Kerley. We need a #1 not anther 2 or 3. Good WRs but nothing great here. We have an average WR core I dont see how adding average guys makes us better. Nicks is by FAR the best of that bunch as a #1. Maclin is nothing special and will be over price. You really want anther one of those? Has played on the most pass happy team in the NFL and has been looked better then average. Id rather resign Holmes cheap them sign him. Maybe Williams but it does look like he will have a new deal soon. So I really feel you can take his name off the list. Caldwell is anther guy worth mentioning I guess but again not talking huge upgrades IMO.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Aren't we set to have $40-50 mill in cap space and 10-12 draft picks next year?

If so, then I say throw the f*cking bank at Jimmy Graham and Orakpo.

I believe both the Baltimore tight ends are FAs and they can't keep both.

The best part about both Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson
    is that they can't both have great years meaning one of them should be a good value as a FA with also something to prove.

Maclin isn't great but he knows the offense (if Rex and MM are still here) and is a solid pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Kurt Warner worked well for the Cards but that's the exception..
    And Drew Brees. Jay Cutler is the best QB Chicago has had in like forever. Now tou can include Peyton Manning. And you can make the argument Favre worked out pretty okay for the Vikes. Not saying we should go after Rivers but I think it's a little silly to say grabbing a vet QB ALWAYS fails.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 07-14-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    And Drew Brees. Jay Cutler is the best QB Chicago has had in like forever. Now tou can include Peyton Manning. And you can make the argument Favre worked out pretty okay for the Vikes. Not saying we should go after Rivers but I think it's a little silly to say grabbing a vet QB ALWAYS fails.
    I agree ... I just think most of us would like a Tom Bradyesque/ from draft until retirement QB if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I agree ... I just think most of us would like a Tom Bradyesque/ from draft until retirement QB if at all possible.
    Oh I completely agree, for instance, if Geno doesn't show anything and were in position to draft Bridgewater, Fales, Boyd (not sold on Manziel) etc...screw any thoughts about grabbing a vet like Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Drew Brees was 27 and was coming off a terrible injury, otherwise he would have never hit FA. That being said, he is arguably one of the top 1-3 free agents signings in NFL history. Unfortunately for us, that will probably never happen again.

More aptly, the fins that year went with culpepper and we see how that went...FA QBs should be left alone.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Aren't we set to have $40-50 mill in cap space and 10-12 draft picks next year?

If so, then I say throw the f*cking bank at Jimmy Graham and Orakpo.
    Given that the franchise number for TEs is relatively low, I doubt Graham ever sees the open market. I do think that the Jets can upgrade their WR talent immensely next season via the draft and FA. The Jets could draft a kid like Marquise Lee and sign a Hakeem Nicks, combine them with Hill and Kerley and you instantly have a well above average group of WRs. What was one of the weakest groups becomes one of the strongest with two transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Given that the franchise number for TEs is relatively low, I doubt Graham ever sees the open market. I do think that the Jets can upgrade their WR talent immensely next season via the draft and FA. The Jets could draft a kid like Marquise Lee and sign a Hakeem Nicks, combine them with Hill and Kerley and you instantly have a well above average group of WRs. What was one of the weakest groups becomes one of the strongest with two transactions.
    If you want Grahem watch Austin Seferian-Jenkins this year. We could very well end up with him and Anthony Barr as our 1st two picks next year and people will hate it. I am never one to promote drafting a TE early but Jenkins looks like a top 3 TE of the future. If your willing to spend 8 mil on Graham he is worth a look in the 1st. As long as we arent a top ten pick I'd be OK with it. Match him and Winslow for one year it wouldnt matter who the WRs are.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Steelers did just that, twice. There are plenty of examples

Happens over money all the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Drew Brees was 27 and was coming off a terrible injury, otherwise he would have never hit FA. That being said, he is arguably one of the top 1-3 free agents signings in NFL history. Unfortunately for us, that will probably never happen again.

More aptly, the fins that year went with culpepper and we see how that went...FA QBs should be left alone.
    Brees was going to be a FA with or without the injury. SD had Rivers and was going with him anyway.

its wrong to judge FA signings off of Boomer, who played well enough here and Neil O'Donnell. Those Jet teams couldn't draft either. Hard to compare anything that Kotite did with the FO of today. Then to shoo Vinny as if that was no big deal?
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 07-15-2013 at 08:56 AM.