Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 free agents???

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Big difference is Nicks is a lot better then any of those other WRs the Giants have let go and he isnt injured.
    True, he's better by a fair margin. But what I'm saying is not really a comparison between them, but a correlation of decline after leaving the Giants or any good QB. Sort of similar to in baseball, where a pitcher goes from the NL to the AL, you sort of have to adjust for a decline there just from the transition.

In Nick's case, he'd be going from a very good QB to an unsure situation with us, so we'd have to factor in a decline in stats just based on that switch, even before we factor in age related decline due to wear and tear.

Someone like Britt doesn't really have to make the adjustment from very good Qb to mediocre, since he's played with mediocre QBs to begin with. So his stats aren't inflated by the quality of the QB. He possess risks of his own with off the field issues, but that should also make him cheaper.

I'm simply advocating that, rather than going for all out for Nicks, I'd rather have Britt and a secondary piece to fill out our roster better. I'm just arguing the cost effectiveness of signing Hicks vs signing Britt and someone else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    True, he's better by a fair margin. But what I'm saying is not really a comparison between them, but a correlation of decline after leaving the Giants or any good QB. Sort of similar to in baseball, where a pitcher goes from the NL to the AL, you sort of have to adjust for a decline there just from the transition.

In Nick's case, he'd be going from a very good QB to an unsure situation with us, so we'd have to factor in a decline in stats just based on that switch, even before we factor in age related decline due to wear and tear.

Someone like Britt doesn't really have to make the adjustment from very good Qb to mediocre, since he's played with mediocre QBs to begin with. So his stats aren't inflated by the quality of the QB. He possess risks of his own with off the field issues, but that should also make him cheaper.

I'm simply advocating that, rather than going for all out for Nicks, I'd rather have Britt and a secondary piece to fill out our roster better. I'm just arguing the cost effectiveness of signing Hicks vs signing Britt and someone else.
    Every time Britt is in NJ the cops are looking for him. He'd be here like 2 week then be thrown in jail.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big difference is Nicks is a lot better then any of those other WRs the Giants have let go and he isnt injured.
    I agree 100% - Nicks game is built on his immense physical gifts, way more so then a player like steve smith.

My only concern with nicks is his injury history.

As for Britt - he is one of the last players in the entire league that I would give a large contract too, especially if he moved closer to his hometown. For all his gifts, he is beyond a major bust risk off the field and just not worth it, Id rather look at maclin.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see us go after Ed Dickson from Baltimore

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every time Britt is in NJ the cops are looking for him. He'd be here like 2 week then be thrown in jail.
    Yeah, the character part of Britt is a risk, probably the biggest reason he won't get a huge contract like Nicks.

Although, his arrests were for pot and then running from the cops while having pot. And you figure these guys live in their hometown during the off-season anyway in most cases. So then, the difference would only be when they are in season.

It's a risk, I agree, and it could be something that blows up. But I think, we as a team need to take a risk than go for the sure thing because we have too many holes on the team. We're going to need to sign a TE, atleast one WR, extend Wilk, possibly find LBs and safeties. Some can be addressed through the draft, but if we can get Britt and Finley instead of Nicks and a lesser TE maybe, I think the risk might be worth it. And I believe he was highly recruited but wanted to play in his home state, which was why he went to Rutgers, so maybe he even gives a hometown discount, further reducing his price? Unlikely, but I'd give it a shot.

Obviously, I'd love for us to get Nicks, just not sure the money difference would be worth it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenny Britt is a year long suspension waiting to happen and the Giants will franchise or re-sign Nicks.

If we're looking at WR we're going to need to look elsewhere.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Kenny Britt is a year long suspension waiting to happen and the Giants will franchise or re-sign Nicks.

If we're looking at WR we're going to need to look elsewhere.
    The Giants have too many FA next year and not a lot of cap. They are going to loose someone. They just signed Cruz to a new deal and no team really pays 10+ for 2 WRs. Webster, Joseph, Diehl, and Tuck will all take priority to resign IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Giants have too many FA next year and not a lot of cap. They are going to loose someone. They just signed Cruz to a new deal and no team really pays 10+ for 2 WRs. Webster, Joseph, Diehl, and Tuck will all take priority to resign IMO.
    Webster's 30 this year, and Tuck and Diehl are old as well. They'll probably all be packing their bags. Joseph will be the interesting one to watch, but there's no way they let Nicks walk. None. And Cruz isn't getting paid $10+ M per. Worst case scenario for them is they tag Nicks and find trade value... and even if he hits the market, buyer beware. Giants will be smart with him and bring him back, but outside of the Giants organization he may not be as enticing as you think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Webster's 30 this year, and Tuck and Diehl are old as well. They'll probably all be packing their bags. Joseph will be the interesting one to watch, but there's no way they let Nicks walk. None. And Cruz isn't getting paid $10+ M per. Worst case scenario for them is they tag Nicks and find trade value... and even if he hits the market, buyer beware. Giants will be smart with him and bring him back, but outside of the Giants organization he may not be as enticing as you think.
    Webster will be back. He is like Ike in Pitts. They are pretty thin at CB already and Prince has had health issues. Even if Hosley looks ready year one it is still a good investment given the division they are in. At worst they could use him at SS. He has been a key member of that team and will not be hard to keep. Same with Tuck. They lost Osi and Kiwi is declining already. They drafted Moore OK but I just dont see them not bringing Tuck back. I think they bring Joseph back too. Mainly because Jenkins and Rodgers are both old. Him and Hankins could anchor that line anther 5-6 years. WR seems less of an issue and will cost them more. They have Cruz, Randell, and Jerrel Jernigan. Even without Nicks and Murphy Manning has his targets IMO. Randell was drafted to be a starter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets had gone for a solid veteran instead of wasting a 1st round trade up for Sanchez they may of won a Superbowl.
    2009-2010, the running game & the defense was superb.
    Sanchez sucked & was along for the ride, and a decent veteran that was more accurate than Mark might have gotten to the Superbowl.

There is no concensus #1 can't miss prospect like Luck or Manning in next years draft.
    If they Jets are in a position to pick Clowney I see Idzik as the kind of guy that takes the no risk high upside Clowney, use free agency to team him with another stud like Orakpo, put together a devastating defense & continue solidifying the Oline if need be.
    The Jets have a boatload of picks next year! & they will have a boatload of money.
    So, say they suck & draft Clowney, and decide to go 2 guys on defense & 1 guy on offense.
    So, now they have Clowney, & they sign Orakpo & Jarius Byrd!
    On offense they go Hakeem Nicks.
    3 big plays in FA & a boatload of picks for more skill players on offense.
    Clowney, Orakpo, Wilkerson, Richardson, Ellis, Coples! Damn!
    Of course this is all mute because there is no way in hell the Jets will be bad enough for the 1st overall pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Not sure where you are seeing that Bridgewater is that type of prospect. He is not close to being that kind of prospect. Clowney is as close to a cant miss prospect as you can find coming out of college. The chances of him busting are minuscule compared to the bust potential of any of the QBs coming out next year. Besides, I dont think the Jets are going to be in a situation next season where they are SURE Smith is not the answer and use their first round pick on another QB.
    I don't think the Jets ever thought Smith was going to be THE answer ... I say if we can draft Bridgewater ... do it ... Better to have two good young QBs than one. Smith is not costing us 1st round money ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I don't think the Jets ever thought Smith was going to be THE answer ... I say if we can draft Bridgewater ... do it ... Better to have two good young QBs than one. Smith is not costing us 1st round money ...
    Bridgewater and Geno look like the exact same guy he just has a nicer attitude and is white. I wouldnt waste a 1st on him next year he is anther huge gamble. Take anther 3-4 rounder but next years class doesnt look any better then this years did. Bring in a viable vet and have a real QB comp. This team made the right choice. Ride it out until a viable QB comes down the pike. Meanwhile Geno shows better skills then the guy we had last year so it is a win win. People counting Geno out ALREADY are idiots. We havent even started real camp yet and he is already a bust. He doesnt need to be a great QB he just needs to be better then the guy we had last year stinking up the field. It isnt like he is trying to fill Phil Simms shoes here.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 07-17-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Actually it isnt, especially when that second QB will cost you the chance at drafting a true play making WR. Smith would have to perform so poor this season for the Jets to even consider taking another QB next year. I just dont think he will be that bad that the Jets will decide to move on from him so quick, they may look to draft a back up type QB later in the draft, but using the first round pick on a QB next year is highly unlikely.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bridgewater and Geno look like the exact same guy he just has a nicer attitude and is white. I wouldnt waste a 1st on him next year he is anther huge gamble. Take anther 3-4 rounder but next years class doesnt look any better then this years did. Bring in a viable vet and have a real QB comp. This team made the right choice. Ride it out until a viable QB comes down the pike. Meanwhile Geno shows better skills then the guy we had last year so it is a win win. People counting Geno out ALREADY are idiots. We havent even started real camp yet and he is already a bust. He doesnt need to be a great QB he just needs to be better then the guy we had last year stinking up the field. It isnt like he is trying to fill Phil Simms shoes here.
    I'm not sure how you can claim to speak intelligently about these 2 quarterbacks when you mention that Bridgewater is white. Clearly you have never even seen him.

News flash - both Geno and Bridgewater are African American.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I'm not sure how you can claim to speak intelligently about these 2 quarterbacks when you mention that Bridgewater is white. Clearly you have never even seen him.

News flash - both Geno and Bridgewater are African American.
    LOL....well Bridgewater's jersey is white sometimes, maybe that was what he was talking about??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

You claim to know all about Bridgewater but then you don't even know his skin color.

He's black, BTW.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you call yourself a college football fan, lol!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk HD

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

You claim to know all about Bridgewater but then you don't even know his skin color.

He's black, BTW.
    He's more like a dark Mocha, while Geno is like a caramel latte.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 07-17-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He more like a dark Mocha, while Geno is like a caramel latte.
    Oh Lawd here we go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CMEC View Post
    And you call yourself a college football fan, lol!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk HD
    No I dont. I actually hate college ball because it seems more corrupt then pro ball does and is widely bias to certain teams. I am a draft fan, OK you got me he isnt white. If that is the best you got on me I can live with that. On tape I honestly dont see a big difference in talent. Geno wasnt questioned until he started playing better teams. That isnt happening with Bridgewater because he may not face a winning team all year. He isnt some blue chip prospect just the best prospect in what looks like a bad QB class IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I dont. I actually hate college ball because it seems more corrupt then pro ball does and is widely bias to certain teams. I am a draft fan, OK you got me he isnt white. If that is the best you got on me I can live with that. On tape I honestly dont see a big difference in talent. Geno wasnt questioned until he started playing better teams. That isnt happening with Bridgewater because he may not face a winning team all year. He isnt some blue chip prospect just the best prospect in what looks like a bad QB class IMO.
    How could you have actually watched tape on Bridgewater and thought he was white? What games did you watch?