Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2014 free agents???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How could you have actually watched tape on Bridgewater and thought he was white? What games did you watch?
    I know I mentioned it in jest, and yes it was in jest, but I could not really care what color he is. I just want a good QB that is all I really care about. The color of their skin doesnt change the way they play ball IMO. Tell me where Teddy is a better QB prospect overall. I've seen them play (not every down but yes I have watched them play) and I dont see a big difference in talent at all. How so many can say Geno is already a bust but we should without a doubt take Bridgewater if he is there when we pick, just seems backward to me. They are pretty similar QBs how could one be worth so much more then the other? Geno fell and yes he fell that doesnt mean he wasnt worth a 1st rounder. It is just no one wanted to make that pick and commit long term. I get that but that doesnt mean he doesnt have 1st round talent in comparison to other former 1st rounders. Like Teddy he was just a high risk pick. If you pick Teddy your getting the same talent level and the same bust factor IMO. He isnt some sure shot guy. He just has a better rep. Drafting on reputation is how you end up with Tebow. All Im saying here is look at the value not just the hype. If you get a #7 pick and he is there is doesnt mean you have to take him. You can wait till later rounds and grab someone to compete with the guy you already have.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    No I dont. I actually hate college ball because it seems more corrupt then pro ball does and is widely bias to certain teams. I am a draft fan, OK you got me he isnt white. If that is the best you got on me I can live with that. On tape I honestly dont see a big difference in talent. Geno wasnt questioned until he started playing better teams. That isnt happening with Bridgewater because he may not face a winning team all year. He isnt some blue chip prospect just the best prospect in what looks like a bad QB class IMO.
    So you are judging both Geno and Bridgewater on what other people say not what you watched?

Look, im the first to admit I thought Geno was a spread QB, who wasnt gonna be a good pro. I didnt want him on the jets and although i love the draft I didnt watch one of his highlights.

Then we drafted him.

And I watched A LOT.

First off, he is extremely accurate and has an excellent arm with the ability to drive the ball down the field. He can throw on the run, and can really jam slant passes into his receivers in tight windows.

The knocks on him were about some of his games against tougher defenses - well did it occur to anyone who watched those games that his like SUCKED and he was getting destroyed with pressure as well as zero running game?

My biggest worry with him is actually ball security as he does have trouble feeling backside pressure (32 career fumbles) but as it turns out this offense is PERFECT for him (and terrible for sanchez who's biggest detriment as a QB is accuracy especially with screen passes). MM loves to move the pocket, throw slants, screens and take shots down the field - all of which, with a full TC Geno should excel at.

Im looking forward to the TC competition.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    So you are judging both Geno and Bridgewater on what other people say not what you watched?

Look, im the first to admit I thought Geno was a spread QB, who wasnt gonna be a good pro. I didnt want him on the jets and although i love the draft I didnt watch one of his highlights.

Then we drafted him.

And I watched A LOT.

First off, he is extremely accurate and has an excellent arm with the ability to drive the ball down the field. He can throw on the run, and can really jam slant passes into his receivers in tight windows.

The knocks on him were about some of his games against tougher defenses - well did it occur to anyone who watched those games that his like SUCKED and he was getting destroyed with pressure as well as zero running game?

My biggest worry with him is actually ball security as he does have trouble feeling backside pressure (32 career fumbles) but as it turns out this offense is PERFECT for him (and terrible for sanchez who's biggest detriment as a QB is accuracy especially with screen passes). MM loves to move the pocket, throw slants, screens and take shots down the field - all of which, with a full TC Geno should excel at.

+1

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Then we drafted him.

And I watched A LOT.

Solid post here. I don't want to be overly optimistic by any means, but in theory you are correct. Whether or not Geno turns out to be even a serviceable QB remains to seen. I really feel like coaching and development represent a huge portion of a young QB's success unless they are phenom elite prospects ie Luck RG3 (and even then) Hopefully MM is as good as he is given credit for and will work some magic with Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then we drafted him.

And I watched A LOT.
    I had the same experience. If Geno can grasp the playbook and cadence details then he will be the starting QB. It's that simple. He is way more talented throwing the ball then Sanchez. Don't let Mark's off season press tour fool you. You can not teach accuracy. Mark don't have it. Geno does, and our new offense thrives on it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Then we drafted him.

And I watched A LOT.

I watched a lot of tape on Geno before and after the draft, and to me, his only real weaknesses are 1) The system in which he played, and 2) For as athletic as he is, he didn't take advantage of it by running more.

The Air Raid thrives on throwing obviously, but if he took off more often to keep the LBs honest or atleast hold a spy, their offense would've been even better. It was a bit concerning that they didn't do that. Although I'm guessing the coaching staff figured he wasn't wired to take a consistent beating with his frame, and he was too valuable in the pocket to risk it.

You also have to factor in (as mentioned on the Gruden camp), that Geno was handling a very complex offense in a no huddle system. He has to have a very good mental aptitude for being able to process what the defense is doing and calling plays. Apparently their play formation tree is very limited, but Geno can audible various plays out of that formation with each receiver based on what the defense was doing. While not exactly Peyton, I do think it talks a bit to his leadership abilities to command an offense like that.

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    I had the same experience. If Geno can grasp the playbook and cadence details then he will be the starting QB. It's that simple. He is way more talented throwing the ball then Sanchez. Don't let Mark's off season press tour fool you. You can not teach accuracy. Mark don't have it. Geno does, and our new offense thrives on it.
    I agree, he's more talented that Sanchez. It's really just about the adjustment, and his ability to adapt to the speed of the NFL vs. college.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I watched a lot of tape on Geno before and after the draft, and to me, his only real weaknesses are 1) The system in which he played, and 2) For as athletic as he is, he didn't take advantage of it by running more.

The Air Raid thrives on throwing obviously, but if he took off more often to keep the LBs honest or atleast hold a spy, their offense would've been even better. It was a bit concerning that they didn't do that. Although I'm guessing the coaching staff figured he wasn't wired to take a consistent beating with his frame, and he was too valuable in the pocket to risk it.

You also have to factor in (as mentioned on the Gruden camp), that Geno was handling a very complex offense in a no huddle system. He has to have a very good mental aptitude for being able to process what the defense is doing and calling plays. Apparently their play formation tree is very limited, but Geno can audible various plays out of that formation with each receiver based on what the defense was doing. While not exactly Peyton, I do think it talks a bit to his leadership abilities to command an offense like that.

I agree, he's more talented that Sanchez. It's really just about the adjustment, and his ability to adapt to the speed of the NFL vs. college.
    I agree very much that his lack of running, given his 4.5 speed is very odd.

We will need him to occasionally run to keep defenses honest so hopefully he changes that part of his game

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Holgorsen's offense is really not complicated. They run a lot of plays and are uptempo but the offense is not that complex, plus Geno did not make most of the calls at the line, they were signaled in from the sidelines, Geno ran what was called. That offense was predicated on tempo and getting their play makers the ball in space.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree very much that his lack of running, given his 4.5 speed is very odd.

We will need him to occasionally run to keep defenses honest so hopefully he changes that part of his game
    Yeah, it's just odd. From watching the tape, there were a few plays where he passed when there were a good 10 yards ahead of him. And while a good amount of these passes were complete and got more than 10 yards he could've gotten on the run, it didn't set up the defense for the run. If he runs, the defense has to play up a bit more, which would help him later in the game.

Holgorsen's offense is really not complicated. They run a lot of plays and are uptempo but the offense is not that complex, plus Geno did not make most of the calls at the line, they were signaled in from the sidelines, Geno ran what was called. That offense was predicated on tempo and getting their play makers the ball in space.
    I'm not too well versed in WV playbook, so I could be wrong. But from what I got in the Gruden camp video, they have a very limited play call sheet, with Geno setting up the players once they get into the formation with multiple audibles available out of the same formation. And just from the numbers, I believe he has to have a good amount of freedom to move in the no huddle by himself, because they had close to 100 plays in a few games, and if he's running up to the line, setting up, and then looking back for the signals, I doubt they would get that many plays in.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, it's just odd. From watching the tape, there were a few plays where he passed when there were a good 10 yards ahead of him. And while a good amount of these passes were complete and got more than 10 yards he could've gotten on the run, it didn't set up the defense for the run. If he runs, the defense has to play up a bit more, which would help him later in the game.

I'm not too well versed in WV playbook, so I could be wrong. But from what I got in the Gruden camp video, they have a very limited play call sheet, with Geno setting up the players once they get into the formation with multiple audibles available out of the same formation. And just from the numbers, I believe he has to have a good amount of freedom to move in the no huddle by himself, because they had close to 100 plays in a few games, and if he's running up to the line, setting up, and then looking back for the signals, I doubt they would get that many plays in.
    Geno didnt call the plays or audible into or out of plays, if you watched a WVU game they are signaled in from the sidelines. What Holgorsen does in his offense is he designs plays that actually have a run and pass option combined in the same call. He would have a quick pass combined with a draw play where Geno looks at the slot receiver and if he is open throws it right away and if he is covered he hands it off the RB who is running a draw play. They also do this with a run play with a backside screen pass option as well. If the receiver is not press covered at the line he throws, if he is he hands it off. This makes the QBs job a lot easier in that he only has one read and it is quick, plus the rest of the offense just runs the play as called and doesnt worry about audibles or having to change blocking schemes or routes. The bulk of WVUs offense was run like this, it was basically a 3 man game with Geno, Austin and Bailey.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 07-19-2013 at 09:30 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno didnt call the plays or audible into or out of plays, if you watched a WVU game they are signaled in from the sidelines. What Holgorsen does in his offense is he designs plays that actually have a run and pass option combined in the same call. He would have a quick pass combined with a draw play where Geno looks at the slot receiver and if he is open throws it right away and if he is covered he hands it off the RB who is running a draw play. They also do this with a run play with a backside screen pass option as well. If the receiver is not press covered at the line he throws, if he is he hands it off. This makes the QBs job a lot easier in that he only has one read and it is quick, plus the rest of the offense just runs the play as called and doesnt worry about audibles or having to change blocking schemes or routes. The bulk of WVUs offense was run like this, it was basically a 3 man game with Geno, Austin and Bailey.
    This is pretty much my take also. The play was signaled in, they went into formation, If the defense reacted by shifting a certain way the play had an option component.

A question to be answered is who benefited more Austin and Bailey or Geno from each other.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take your word for it, because I didn't watch full WV games besides the Texas game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    If we suck so badly that we end up with a pick that high, there isn't a shot in hell we don't draft a quarterback like Bridgewater or Fales so you can ditch this idea we'll nab Clowney.
    Rams sucked enough to have the #2 pick last year, but they had enough belief in Bradford to not take RGIII.

It depends on how we suck, if we do suck. If Geno sucks and there is no belief he'll improve, then sure go grab a new QB. But if he sucks because he's still learning / not got enough talent around him, but shows flashes of potential, don't be too quick to get rid of him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    Geno is a very accurate thrower and while he doesn't have elite arm strength he can throw with zip on the ball definitely more than Suckchez. He needs to start from week 1.

Actually, the complaint about Geno coming out of college was he was "too accurate" and needed to put more touch on his throws - meaning he needed to sometimes know when to throw catchable ducks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    We'll have loads of cash in 14, but where are the free agents? I don't see any QB's on that list, really not too many offensive superstars, I'm I looking at the wrong FA list?
    I saw too the list sucks. It makes me feel worse now about not resigning Revis. Like it or not, that guaranteed 8M to Sanchez most likely cost us Revis.

Any reasonable fan could tell you that you CAN win a SB with a 16M CB. We were so close two years in a row to a super bowl appearance with Mark Sanchez as our QB, who played great in the postseason by the way. Plus, we have a lot of money tied up in the QB position. Its not like we had Revis and we could only pay our QB very little money, Sanchez was making what top QB's were making. We just had the wrong highly paid QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've never seen Bridgewater if you think he's white. Stop lying man. Your the type of poster I hate because you're being a fraud. Just be honest and say you never saw him play. I saw him twice live this year and saw a 3rd game on top 25 games of 2012. It's pretty evident of his skin color, and he's always the mos talked about player; and his face is always shown on screen. The first time I heard the name I thought he was white as well. I LOVE Bridgewater. Reminds me of RG3. Why does skin color even matter?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    You've never seen Bridgewater if you think he's white. Stop lying man. Your the type of poster I hate because you're being a fraud. Just be honest and say you never saw him play. I saw him twice live this year and saw a 3rd game on top 25 games of 2012. It's pretty evident of his skin color, and he's always the mos talked about player; and his face is always shown on screen. The first time I heard the name I thought he was white as well. I LOVE Bridgewater. Reminds me of RG3. Why does skin color even matter?
    Actually I am a Big East (or was) guy and have accually seen him play quite a bit. What you've never just typed something and been wrong. I admitted I was wrong what more do you want douch. I read more scouting reports every year then you likely will read in your lifetime. If Bridgewater reminds you of RG3 I have to question if you have ever seen him play for that matter. He is no where near that good or even plays the same game. Your the one that seems to be hung up on his color I couldnt care. If I thought he was any better then Geno I'd be all for it. I dont. He isnt a blue chip prospect get over it.