Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 free agents???

2014 free agents???

We'll have loads of cash in 14, but where are the free agents? I don't see any QB's on that list, really not too many offensive superstars, I'm I looking at the wrong FA list?

Jets Insider VIP
    Hopefully Mark Sanchez is a free agent and goes elsewhere

All League
    I heard before it was a poor list. Sucks for us. We have to wait because some guys could surprise, or pick up some sleepers

Hall Of Fame
    Looking at potential free agents for the 2014 season is pretty futile right now. Some will be extended, some will be franchised and then there will be some players released by teams and become FAs that are not on the list.

No Mannings on that list that's for sure, maybe Rivers?

Doesn't matter. We will approach FA like we did this year next year even with the additional cash. The days of big splash free agent signings by Tannenloser are a thing of the buried past.

Question

what safeties are on that list?

All League
    think jimmy graham is a fa next year

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    That would be right up our alley

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I guess it depends on their cap situation.

One that kinda intrigues me is MJD. Khan apparently has no interest in him having an LTD, so he may be leaving the Jags. Though, he'll obviously be wanting a pay day and I'm not too sure Idzik is gonna open up the bank for an aging RB coming off injuries. We probably won't be a contender in 2014 anyway, so it'd kinda be a waste of time.

In all honesty, I really wouldn't mind Idzik spending some cash on depth at safety, wr, lb as opposed to bidding for a name. Think that'd be best in the long term.
    Last edited by McGinley; 07-13-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Definitely not a star-studded class. My guess is we will use some of the money to lock up Mo. Hopefully Idzik doesn't overpay (a la Harris) just b.c we have so much room. I think we will definitely sign a WR and a TE (could be Winslow).

It is a very week FA and Oakland will be raising the prices on a lot of guys. Nicks may be the prize but I dont think we will bid as high as Oakland and a few other team more WR needy. I think we will target a ILB. Out side of that I dont see any big signings next year in our future. At least not unless Geno fails big and we go after Cutler hard. God I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Orakpo

One would think what we do in free agency next year will depend on a few factors.

1- where we are positioned in the draft and total number of picks available to us.
    2- How our own guys will do this year, ie, surprises and disappointments.

3- Need and availability

4- How all the above fit in with Idzik plans on building a championship team.

Personally I look for us to continue to build thru the draft, sign our own guys to longer term contracts and fill select needs, with affordable FA's

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

No one knows who will be available, there are always budget casualties that change the look of free agency.

I did not think much of this years FA class to be honest. We don't need a dolphin rebuild, just a few nice pieces in positions of need.

Carry on building through the draft, we are building the right way so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No one knows who will be available, there are always budget casualties that change the look of free agency.
    Your not going to see a lot of casualties next year. Normally you see a team cut players to sign big names long term or a big name FA. Not many big names are up for renegotiation next year or in FA out side of Cutler and Nicks. The only teams that really don't project well next year is Dallas and Detroit again. Also the only team that may need cap for a QB is SF. Lets face it at best your talking aging players like Gore, Brooks, or Rodgers. Detroit isnt cutting anyone of value and well Dallas really has no one of value I'd want. TB maybe but dont expect to see an impact player hit the market there either. Not earth shattering.

The only stud QB that may be available, and he probably won't be, is Jay Cutler. The QB position is going to be addressed via Geno Smith or the Jets taking one of the six or seven 1st round QB prospects next season. The cap room that we have next off-season should be used on locking up guys like Muhammad Wilkerson for the long-term as well as taking a look at the WR and FS market. Until we can manage to find a true FS our defense will never be dominate. That is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Definitely not a star-studded class. My guess is we will use some of the money to lock up Mo. Hopefully Idzik doesn't overpay (a la Harris) just b.c we have so much room. I think we will definitely sign a WR and a TE (could be Winslow).
    Agree - locking up our own guys is very important and hopefully what the plan is for a lot of our cap space.

Im also amazed at even the hint of a mention of a player like Rivers. The chance of success with a veteran FA QB is extremely remote and is one of the consistent errors this organization has made in the past. Yes, we made a champ game with Vinny, but from Boomer to Neil Odonnel to Favre, shows it just doesnt work. Rivers would set the team back years if we brought him here.

One FA that I do think could be an excellent fit for us, and also not a terrible use of a large contract would be Nicks. We are going to need help at WR and he is very young for a "veteran".