Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 97

Thread: 2014 free agents???

  1. #41
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,977
    The two biggest moves we made this year, were Ivory, and Goodson. Winslow may turn out to be a great move, but that just fell into our laps. I think there will be guys out there that could be great, that maybe most of us never heard of. I think we'll stick with high potential guys, just more of them, and then get our own books in order so we can keep all of our rising stars in the future. That seems to be Idzik's way, and I like it.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Steelers did just that, twice. There are plenty of examples

    Happens over money all the time.
    I'd wager that the Saints value Graham a lot more than the Steelers valued Mike Wallace. Either way, it's moot. He's not going anywhere.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He will also want like 8 mill a year. Likely if they want him back they will tag him and try to get him on a discount. For what it is worth the Pats have cut ways with their top receiver or TE almost every other year so have the Steelers to a point. Heck GB just let Jennings walk. Good QBs can throw to anyone. Sometimes it is about the money.
    What? This isn't even remotely true.

  4. #44
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    If you want Grahem watch Austin Seferian-Jenkins this year. We could very well end up with him and Anthony Barr as our 1st two picks next year and people will hate it. I am never one to promote drafting a TE early but Jenkins looks like a top 3 TE of the future. If your willing to spend 8 mil on Graham he is worth a look in the 1st. As long as we arent a top ten pick I'd be OK with it. Match him and Winslow for one year it wouldnt matter who the WRs are.
    Unless the Jets have two first round picks next year, I dont think you will be able to get both ASJ and Barr. Both are top 20 talents right now.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The only stud QB that may be available, and he probably won't be, is Jay Cutler. The QB position is going to be addressed via Geno Smith or the Jets taking one of the six or seven 1st round QB prospects next season. The cap room that we have next off-season should be used on locking up guys like Muhammad Wilkerson for the long-term as well as taking a look at the WR and FS market. Until we can manage to find a true FS our defense will never be dominate. That is a must.
    And what has Jay Cutler done for his teams? Are you still hungover from the 2006 draft?

  6. #46
    I believe Hakeem Nicks has the chance to be a fa next yr. Would love to see him and Smith play together and form a nice tandem.

  7. #47
    orakpo and clowney on OLB. sounds unstoppable

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Unless the Jets have two first round picks next year, I dont think you will be able to get both ASJ and Barr. Both are top 20 talents right now.
    Yeah I have seen him projected as early as 9 and as late as mid 2nd. You really never know until the draft comes. He will be the 3rd or 4th best OLB on the board so late 1st early 2nd I'd say.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66 View Post
    orakpo and clowney on OLB. sounds unstoppable
    If we suck so badly that we end up with a pick that high, there isn't a shot in hell we don't draft a quarterback like Bridgewater or Fales so you can ditch this idea we'll nab Clowney.

    That said, I wouldn't mind signing Orakpo should he decide to not resign with the Redskins.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    If we suck so badly that we end up with a pick that high, there isn't a shot in hell we don't draft a quarterback like Bridgewater or Fales so you can ditch this idea we'll nab Clowney.

    That said, I wouldn't mind signing Orakpo should he decide to not resign with the Redskins.
    If Clowney is available, Idzik will take him. There's no Luck or Manning...hell there isn't even a Leinart or Barkley in this draft. All 32 GMs would take Clowney if he were available...regardless of who's still on the board.

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    think jimmy graham is a fa next year
    I have a better chance of flying the Millennium Falcon, then Graham does hitting the open market.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    If Clowney is available, Idzik will take him. There's no Luck or Manning...hell there isn't even a Leinart or Barkley in this draft. All 32 GMs would take Clowney if he were available...regardless of who's still on the board.
    Bridgewater at this point in time is being touted as a Luck/RG3 esque prospect. Fales is being sold as an incredibly strong prospect with perfect mechanics whose biggest flaw is the school he went to. By the end of this collegiate season Boyd should be right there with them so I honestly have no idea as to what you're talking about when you say there are no good quarterback prospects. As a matter of fact, next years class is ALREADY looking like its going to be rated higher than than most of the 2013 class at the end of the season.

    I don't really care how good Clowney is. If I'm holding the number one pick and both my quarterbacks suck, any other position is a completely wasted pick. I will personally gaurantee that Clowney is not the number one pick in this years draft. Why? Because usually that team has no quarterback and you can't build a team around a pass rusher. This is the same type of denial that people spewed when Revis was first being dangled. It's the same old "I don't care what the cost is you don't lose out on a player of that talent". Well guess what, if you need a quarterback and a damn good prospect is sitting in front of you, there's no chance any SMART team will pass him over for a pass rusher.

    Drafting is always a gamble. Just because people don't THINK Clowney will bust doesn't mean he won't. The main difference is if you gamble and win with a quarterback you are in an excellent position to succeed. Therefore there's a much better chance that Bridgewater is the #1 pick over any other prospect.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 07-16-2013 at 12:21 AM.

  13. #53
    I would love Graham to be our target next year, would fit in perfect, but there is pretty much no chance the Saints let him go in FA.

    I know he has some issues with the law, but I would take a shot on Britt over Nicks for a few reasons:

    1) Pretty much everyone who has left the Giants as a receiver has seen a sharp downturn in their stats. Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, and Kevin Boss as recent examples. While Eli is not a super star, he is a very good QB IMO, and that elevates the stats of the receivers. So we would most likely be seeing a downturn in production, just from the change at QB, before we factor in age and decline. Britt on the other hand, has played with very inconsistent QB play, so there is atleast hope that a new system can utilize him better.

    2. He will be cheaper than Nicks. Yeah, Nicks provides more assurance as far as on the field production, but taking a bit more risk allows us to save money and help other parts of the roster as well.

    3. Britt has character concerns, and in the wake of Aaron Hernandez's problems, it might not be the wisest idea to bring him to his hometown, but I think it tends to be overblown. Most of these guys live and train in their hometown for the offseason anyway, so I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. It's a risk, but again, with the makeup of our roster, I think we do need to take a bit more risks.

    4. We already have experience with buying low on character risks, such as Holmes and Cromartie, and both have been good or better for us (except ofcourse having to resign Holmes to that massive contract, but we got him for pennies because of his character problems) so there is some precedent.

    Also, how do people feel about Jermichael Finley? He's been somewhat of a disappointment because his physical traits are amazingly good, but his stats don't match up nearly as well, especially in an explosive offense.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    What? This isn't even remotely true.
    just off the top of my head. Wes, Watson, Moss, and Branch that is only like the last 7 years man.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan66 View Post
    orakpo and clowney on OLB. sounds unstoppable
    Just the thought of that makes me want to go 2-14
    Holy chit!
    Can you imagine that!
    Jadaveous Clowny & Orakpo
    With our young developing Dline
    That's a defensive front that might push Brady into retirement
    Last edited by jetster; 07-16-2013 at 07:35 AM.

  16. #56
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Bridgewater at this point in time is being touted as a Luck/RG3 esque prospect. Fales is being sold as an incredibly strong prospect with perfect mechanics whose biggest flaw is the school he went to. By the end of this collegiate season Boyd should be right there with them so I honestly have no idea as to what you're talking about when you say there are no good quarterback prospects. As a matter of fact, next years class is ALREADY looking like its going to be rated higher than than most of the 2013 class at the end of the season.

    I don't really care how good Clowney is. If I'm holding the number one pick and both my quarterbacks suck, any other position is a completely wasted pick. I will personally gaurantee that Clowney is not the number one pick in this years draft. Why? Because usually that team has no quarterback and you can't build a team around a pass rusher. This is the same type of denial that people spewed when Revis was first being dangled. It's the same old "I don't care what the cost is you don't lose out on a player of that talent". Well guess what, if you need a quarterback and a damn good prospect is sitting in front of you, there's no chance any SMART team will pass him over for a pass rusher.

    Drafting is always a gamble. Just because people don't THINK Clowney will bust doesn't mean he won't. The main difference is if you gamble and win with a quarterback you are in an excellent position to succeed. Therefore there's a much better chance that Bridgewater is the #1 pick over any other prospect.
    *gong*

    Next year will be one of the rare occasions that even if the top team has other needs, they will have plenty of choices to trade the pick to someone who does covet Clowney. I think Clowney is close to being a lock for the #1 pick in this case.

    If it is a QB they need then they can trade Clowney, move down a few spots and still probably get the guy they want.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Bridgewater at this point in time is being touted as a Luck/RG3 esque prospect. Fales is being sold as an incredibly strong prospect with perfect mechanics whose biggest flaw is the school he went to. By the end of this collegiate season Boyd should be right there with them so I honestly have no idea as to what you're talking about when you say there are no good quarterback prospects. As a matter of fact, next years class is ALREADY looking like its going to be rated higher than than most of the 2013 class at the end of the season.
    None of those players are being touted as the next Elway/Peyton/Luck. None. And those were the only three unanimous 'cant miss' 'number 1' QB prospects. Not even RG3 was unanimous the way those three were. So you can throw out as many names as you'd like, because it doesn't change the fact that there's no clear top QB...let alone 'can't miss' QB prospect.

    I don't really care how good Clowney is. If I'm holding the number one pick and both my quarterbacks suck, any other position is a completely wasted pick. I will personally gaurantee that Clowney is not the number one pick in this years draft. Why? Because usually that team has no quarterback and you can't build a team around a pass rusher. This is the same type of denial that people spewed when Revis was first being dangled. It's the same old "I don't care what the cost is you don't lose out on a player of that talent". Well guess what, if you need a quarterback and a damn good prospect is sitting in front of you, there's no chance any SMART team will pass him over for a pass rusher.
    No offense, but if you don't care how good a non-QB prospect is, it's a good thing you're not running the show. As stated earlier, of course if there's an Elway/Peyton/Luck prospect sitting there, then I agree- it doesn't matter how good anyone else is. However, that's not what we have here. Teddy could turn into Rich Gannon or Jeff George, but Clowney is so good that the probability of him becoming the next Demarcus Ware cannot be ignored by any GM.

    Drafting is always a gamble. Just because people don't THINK Clowney will bust doesn't mean he won't. The main difference is if you gamble and win with a quarterback you are in an excellent position to succeed. Therefore there's a much better chance that Bridgewater is the #1 pick over any other prospect.
    Yes, exactly. The difference is that its not just regular people like you and me...its people who do this all day every day for a living. Could they be wrong? Sure. But their chances of being right are much higher than their chances of being wrong. And when you have unanimous chatter that this guy Clowney is the real deal, as a GM, you take the sure thing when it comes around.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 07-16-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Posted from my iphone this morning and had lots of errors that needed fixin

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    *gong*

    Next year will be one of the rare occasions that even if the top team has other needs, they will have plenty of choices to trade the pick to someone who does covet Clowney. I think Clowney is close to being a lock for the #1 pick in this case.

    If it is a QB they need then they can trade Clowney, move down a few spots and still probably get the guy they want.
    I'll go on record and say that Clowney will be the first player selected in 2014. Anyone that wants to can keep this for their records, and revisit this thread after the first pick in April 2014. That's how good this guy is, but also how risky everyone else is.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 07-16-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Posted from my iphone this morning and had an error that needed fixin

  19. #59
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Bridgewater at this point in time is being touted as a Luck/RG3 esque prospect. Fales is being sold as an incredibly strong prospect with perfect mechanics whose biggest flaw is the school he went to. By the end of this collegiate season Boyd should be right there with them so I honestly have no idea as to what you're talking about when you say there are no good quarterback prospects. As a matter of fact, next years class is ALREADY looking like its going to be rated higher than than most of the 2013 class at the end of the season.

    I don't really care how good Clowney is. If I'm holding the number one pick and both my quarterbacks suck, any other position is a completely wasted pick. I will personally gaurantee that Clowney is not the number one pick in this years draft. Why? Because usually that team has no quarterback and you can't build a team around a pass rusher. This is the same type of denial that people spewed when Revis was first being dangled. It's the same old "I don't care what the cost is you don't lose out on a player of that talent". Well guess what, if you need a quarterback and a damn good prospect is sitting in front of you, there's no chance any SMART team will pass him over for a pass rusher.

    Drafting is always a gamble. Just because people don't THINK Clowney will bust doesn't mean he won't. The main difference is if you gamble and win with a quarterback you are in an excellent position to succeed. Therefore there's a much better chance that Bridgewater is the #1 pick over any other prospect.
    Not sure where you are seeing that Bridgewater is that type of prospect. He is not close to being that kind of prospect. Clowney is as close to a cant miss prospect as you can find coming out of college. The chances of him busting are minuscule compared to the bust potential of any of the QBs coming out next year. Besides, I dont think the Jets are going to be in a situation next season where they are SURE Smith is not the answer and use their first round pick on another QB.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I would love Graham to be our target next year, would fit in perfect, but there is pretty much no chance the Saints let him go in FA.

    I know he has some issues with the law, but I would take a shot on Britt over Nicks for a few reasons:

    1) Pretty much everyone who has left the Giants as a receiver has seen a sharp downturn in their stats. Steve Smith, Mario Manningham, and Kevin Boss as recent examples. While Eli is not a super star, he is a very good QB IMO, and that elevates the stats of the receivers. So we would most likely be seeing a downturn in production, just from the change at QB, before we factor in age and decline. Britt on the other hand, has played with very inconsistent QB play, so there is atleast hope that a new system can utilize him better.

    2. He will be cheaper than Nicks. Yeah, Nicks provides more assurance as far as on the field production, but taking a bit more risk allows us to save money and help other parts of the roster as well.

    3. Britt has character concerns, and in the wake of Aaron Hernandez's problems, it might not be the wisest idea to bring him to his hometown, but I think it tends to be overblown. Most of these guys live and train in their hometown for the offseason anyway, so I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal. It's a risk, but again, with the makeup of our roster, I think we do need to take a bit more risks.

    4. We already have experience with buying low on character risks, such as Holmes and Cromartie, and both have been good or better for us (except ofcourse having to resign Holmes to that massive contract, but we got him for pennies because of his character problems) so there is some precedent.

    Also, how do people feel about Jermichael Finley? He's been somewhat of a disappointment because his physical traits are amazingly good, but his stats don't match up nearly as well, especially in an explosive offense.
    Big difference is Nicks is a lot better then any of those other WRs the Giants have let go and he isnt injured.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us