Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressed with Kellen Winslow

Impressed with Kellen Winslow

For my money, the best news to come out of Jets West was that Kellen Winslow attended. This is a guy who could have just rested his knees and tried to coast on his past success and the fact that the Jets have a gaping need at TE. instead, he seems to be making a genuine effort to learn the playbook and seems to be taking this opportunity seriously.

I know that there's still a legitimate chance that we'll have another Garrard situation here - that any given day Winslow can show up and say that he can't take the pain in his knees anymore and is retiring. For now, though, I'll just be optimistic that he has something left in the tank and is working hard to be the player he's been up until now.

Remember, he's yet to show a significant decline on the field. By all accounts, he looked good in Seahawks' camp last year and was expected to be a legitimate contributor to their offense. He was only released when he wouldn't take a pay cut from a pretty hefty salary. He only had a cup of coffee with the New Evil Patriots last year, and apparently left on his own accord, because he wasn't going to have a significant long-term role there. He certainly does have a chance to have one with the Jets this year.

The article below doesn't paint the picture of a guy who thinks he's near the end of the road. If you click the link to the article, there's a cool NFL Network video from his Bucs days where he describes techniques he uses to get open. I enjoyed it just for it's behind-the-scenes football perspective.

Kellen Winslow Jr.'s goal: 100 catches for New York Jets

It's impossible to know what the New York Jets will get from Kellen Winslow Jr. in 2013.

Winslow's track record tells us he can step into a key role on offense as the team's starting tight end. That same track record hints that bum knees could render him an afterthought by Week 1.

Winslow, currently in Mission Viejo, Calif. for Mark Sanchez's Jets West camp, believes he has plenty of football left as he approaches his 30th birthday.

"I averaged around 72 (catches per season over my career)," Winslow said Friday, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "My job is to just make plays. When it comes my way, just make the play. I can exceed that. My goal is always to catch 100 balls. Haven't done it yet, but that's my goal. I want to come close."

Before you dismiss Winslow's comments as crazy talk, consider the Jets' current state of affairs. Winslow is, by far, the team's best option at tight end from a playmaking standpoint. Santonio Holmes -- the team's best receiver -- is still recovering from a serious foot injury and represents something of a mystery. Unless you expect a Pro Bowl leap for Jeremy Kerley, the cupboard is mostly bare.

Will Winslow sniff 100 catches? Probably not. But if he manages to get on the field and stay there, targets likely will be plentiful.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-new-york-jets

Jets Insider VIP
    good article and I certainly hope that KW upgrades the TE position significantly (a definite requirement in a WCO). Hopefully once Camp Vanity is over in California and training camp starts at the end of the month, he'll light things up in practice and preseason with Smith and that duo will be a strong asset in Mornhinwheg's new offense for the Jets in 2013

All League
    Until they put on the pads, practice every day, and hit for real on Sundays, we won't know if he can contribute. A good attitude won't covet up for a body with a lot of prior injuries.

Of course - it is good to hope.

He certainly is talanted, just two years removed from a 75 catch season.

Key is the new. If the two years off have healed his knee he could be great. One year contract though so if he is great likely a one year rental.

Isn't his issue more of a chronic pain than actual injury (i.e. torn ACL, MCL, etc.)? Would seem like the key is whether or not he's willing to play through the pain.

I don't think anyone has ever doubted KW's ability or desire to play football at a high level.

The problem is, his attitude is for sh*t. It absolutely sucks buttermilk. It turns people off so badly, that even if he was having a great season, the GM still wouldn't want to resign him.

He needs to learn to keep his f*cking mouth shut. Because the very FIRST time he opens it? The deal is OFF.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever doubted KW's ability or desire to play football at a high level.

The problem is, his attitude is for sh*t. It absolutely sucks buttermilk. It turns people off so badly, that even if he was having a great season, the GM still wouldn't want to resign him.

He needs to learn to keep his f*cking mouth shut. Because the very FIRST time he opens it? The deal is OFF.
    Hopefully the last two years have humbled him. I don't mind him setting and staying lofty goals....

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Isn't his issue more of a chronic pain than actual injury (i.e. torn ACL, MCL, etc.)? Would seem like the key is whether or not he's willing to play through the pain.
    Just give him some vicodins he will be alright.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If Holmes isnt back 100% KW may be the 1st look ... Should make him happy even with a rook or questionably accurate Qb throwing to him
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 07-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.

I was skeptical of his ego, especially after NE released him before the start of the season last year but he's impressed me- hopefully he can be as serviceable as Keller was pre-injury drama.

To be fair, NE releasing someone doesn't accurately speak to that person's character.

Brady knocked up a chick and bounced, Hernandez is bout dat life, Talib is gun-toting gangster, Belichick cheated on his wife and left her, and Kraft is robbing the cradle. Not exactly the standard in morality.

To be fair, NE releasing someone doesn't accurately speak to that person's character.

Brady knocked up a chick and bounced, Hernandez is bout dat life, Talib is gun-toting gangster, Belichick cheated on his wife and left her, and Kraft is robbing the cradle. Not exactly the standard in morality.
    Actually, that's not fair, he didn't say anything about character or off-field issues, his post was from a purely football standpoint, but I know you couldn't help yourself. It's a super easy target.

If you put a gun to their heads (see what I did there?), I bet the Pats wish they could have Winslow back on their training camp roster right now.

Practice Squad
    He's a soldier

Perhaps your best post ever. Cogent, well-organized, and comprehensive in scope. Oh and yes, 100% true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Actually, that's not fair, he didn't say anything about character or off-field issues, his post was from a purely football standpoint, but I know you couldn't help yourself. It's a super easy target.

If you put a gun to their heads (see what I did there?), I bet the Pats wish they could have Winslow back on their training camp roster right now.
    No doubt about it.

Winslow is exactly what we all think he is, a very talented, injury-prone player who could easily end up playing no more than 6 games in 2013, or could have 80 catches for almost 1,000 yards. He's a risky proposition, and the Pats didn't really need to take a chance on a guy like that until their circumstances changed and their TEs went from a strength of their team to a very suspect and under-manned group.

Jets Insider VIP
    common, guys... they still have Juicekowski, the Giant reject and some camp fodder tight ends. No injury or talent problems there since BB will just dust them with his magic powder and turn them all into HOFers

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    No doubt about it.

Winslow is exactly what we all think he is, a very talented, injury-prone player who could easily end up playing no more than 6 games in 2013, or could have 80 catches for almost 1,000 yards. He's a risky proposition, and the Pats didn't really need to take a chance on a guy like that until their circumstances changed and their TEs went from a strength of their team to a very suspect and under-manned group.
    He's not injury prone. He was injured in 2006, and lives with pain since then, but has not been injured since. Not even once. You can keep saying it, but it diminishes any other points you make.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He's not injury prone. He was injured in 2006, and lives with pain since then, but has not been injured since. Not even once. You can keep saying it, but it diminishes any other points you make.
    He may not be missing games, but by his own admission can not go a full game anymore. At best he can split reps with Cumberland, but to expect 70 receptions from him is a stretch right now.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    He may not be missing games, but by his own admission can not go a full game anymore. At best he can split reps with Cumberland, but to expect 70 receptions from him is a stretch right now.
    45 would be huge...not including the playoffs.