Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

NY Jets' Draft Grade: B

http://walterfootball.com/rookieforecast2013jets.php

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell
    July 10, 2013

Solid Starter

Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama - Round 1

It isn't fair to expect Milliner to be the next Darrelle Revis even though Milliner was definitely the best cornerback prospect in the 2013 draft class. From a salary cap perspective and rebuilding the Jets' roster, Milliner made a lot of sense. His contract will total around four years and $13 million. That is less than one season of what Revis costs in his long-term contract that pays him $16 million annually. New York has saved a lot of money while picking up an intriguing talent at cornerback in Milliner.

Milliner (6-0, 201) was phenomenal for Alabama in 2012. Interestingly, for all the accolades that the Crimson Tide's defense received last year, it struggled to rush the passer. Adrian Hubbard led the team with seven sacks followed by linebacker C.J. Mosley with four sacks, who typically dropped in coverage. Milliner was left on an island in man coverage throughout the season and held up extremely well. He's at his best playing press man, and those kind of cornerbacks with his speed and athletic ability are tough to find.

While Milliner wasn't asked to backpedal and play a lot of off-man coverage, he has the athletic ability to learn that in the NFL. Milliner should form a nice cornerback trio with Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson immediately. Milliner may become one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL in the longer term; akin to Revis or Richard Sherman. However, Milliner should turn into at least a solid starter.

Most Likely To Bust

Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia - Round 2

Quarterback is the riskiest position to draft early and Smith carries some serious bust potential. A lot of quarterback-needy teams passed on him, and he fell out of the first round for a reason. There are flaws with Smith as a prospect on the field and a lot of criticism about him off the field. He has a good arm and skill set, but he can be streaky as a passer. There are definitely ways Smith can improve.

Unfortunately for him, Smith could be thrust onto the field before he is ready due to New York's lack of talent at the quarterback position. Mark Sanchez has been awful the past two seasons and he may not even make the team in training camp. Even if Smith has some struggles in the preseason, he could beat out Sanchez for the starting spot.

Rookie quarterbacks often struggle in the NFL and the Jets' coaching staff is on the hot seat. If Smith is forced to play and is unable to win, a new regime could be brought into New York as soon as next offseason. That would could lead to a new quarterback and Smith being a backup quarterback like Jimmy Clausen is the Panthers, a former second-round pick who was benched by a new staff. Smith doesn't have much margin for error given the situation the Jets are in.

Potential Boom Pick

Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri - Round 1

This pick was a bit of a surprise, especially with Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei available, but it made complete sense. The Jets have a hybrid defense that features a lot of 3-4 and 4-3 looks. Richardson is a great fit to play end in a 3-4 or three-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3. He has the flexibility to cause havoc in the variety of things likes to do.

Richardson is extremely disruptive at the point of attack. He is an excellent interior pass-rusher but also records sacks coming from defensive end. He is very fast off the snap and has great hands to shed blocks. Richardson is a good run-defender as well as a pass-rusher. He could cause a lot of chaos at the line of scrimmage and help improve the Jets' sack total quickly.

Another thing I love about the selection of Richardson is how his motor could impact the defense. He goes all out on every play. I remember from 2012 seeing him get in on tackles on wide receivers about 20 yards past the line of scrimmage. Richardson gives relentless effort and never quits on plays. I think that will be infectious and have a positive influence on teammate Quinton Coples. The Jets 2012 first-rounder has received criticism for an inconsistent motor. Richardson's style of play could cause Coples to improve his effort so he doesn't get embarrassed in the film room.

I could see Richardson being the Jets' best defensive lineman over Coples and Muhammed Wilkerson in the long term. That trio could be an elite group, and I think Richardson will make the other two even better. He could easily become a boom pick for New York.

Future Depth Player

Brian Winters, G, Kent State - Round 3

The Jets have been disappointed with Vladimir Ducasse. They needed to get another guard to potentially become a long-term starter. New York signed veteran Willie Colon in the offseason, but he is only a temporary solution.

Winters is a gritty blocker who played tackle in college. He doesn't have the quickness or length for tackle in the NFL, but he looks like a nice fit at guard. Winters has the bulk to move defenders in the ground game, but he will have to overcome a big jump in competition. If Winters is unable to win a starting spot, he should be solid depth for the Jets behind Colon.

Walt's 2013 NFL Draft Grades:

2013 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

9. Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama: C+ Grade
    The Jets essentially traded Darrelle Revis for Dee Milliner. I just don't get why they'd deal Revis to just take another cornerback when they have two corners on the roster (Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson) who proved themselves to be capable starters after Revis went down. Milliner had just six interceptions in his college career. He also was never asked to backpedal. Alabama cornerbacks have a history of busting in the NFL, so the Jets better hope that Milliner doesn't continue that tradition.

Follow @walterfootball for updates.

13. Sheldon Richardson, DE/DT, Missouri: B Grade
    Wow, Sheldon Richardson before Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei? Many will bash this selection, I'm sure, but I don't mind it. Sheldon Richardson is the top interior pass-rusher who fits the 4-3 and 3-4 - which is key for New York because Rex Ryan loves to use both looks. I'm not sure why Richardson wasn't considered a higher-rated prospect. The Jets had to bolster their pass-rush, and they did just that with Richardson.

39. Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia: A Grade
    This is the last place I'd want to go if I were Geno Smith because the Jets have absolutely nothing to work with on offense. But I imagine after waiting all Thursday evening, he's just relieved to be drafted by someone. This is a great pick for New York though because Smith was considered an option for the No. 1 overall pick when he was winning games. The Jets needed a quarterback, and Smith was the top signal-caller in this entire draft class. It's going to be fun watching Smith duel E.J. Manuel twice per year. I'm sure Smith will be extra motivated for that.

72. Brian Winters, G, Kent State: B Grade
    The Jets signed Willie Colon this offseason, but they needed another guard to compete with Vladimir Ducasse. This is the right range for Brian Winters, so this is a pretty solid pick.

141. Oday Aboushi, G/OT, Virginia: B Grade
    Still no skill-position players, but upgrading the offensive line isn't a bad move. Oday Aboushi played tackle in college, but he may have to move to guard in the NFL because of his short arms. Having said that, it's a good idea to find protection for Geno Smith.

178. William Campbell, DT, Michigan: C+ Grade
    I mocked William Campbell to the Jets in the seventh round at one point, so this pick makes sense to me. He's another interior lineman, but he's much different than Sheldon Richardson.

215. Tommy Bohanon, FB, Wake Forest: B Grade
    A fullback in the seventh round? Why not? The Jets needed one. Logical pick.

2013 NFL Draft Team Grade: B . Follow Walter @walterfootball for updates.

All 32 Teams Season Preview: http://walterfootball.com/offseason.php

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post

July 10, 2013

Solid Starter

It isn't fair to expect Milliner to be the next Darrelle Revis even though Milliner was definitely the best cornerback prospect in the 2013 draft class. From a salary cap perspective and rebuilding the Jets' roster, Milliner made a lot of sense. His contract will total around four years and $13 million. That is less than one season of what Revis costs in his long-term contract that pays him $16 million annually. New York has saved a lot of money while picking up an intriguing talent at cornerback in Milliner.

Milliner (6-0, 201) was phenomenal for Alabama in 2012. Interestingly, for all the accolades that the Crimson Tide's defense received last year, it struggled to rush the passer. Adrian Hubbard led the team with seven sacks followed by linebacker C.J. Mosley with four sacks, who typically dropped in coverage. Milliner was left on an island in man coverage throughout the season and held up extremely well. He's at his best playing press man, and those kind of cornerbacks with his speed and athletic ability are tough to find.

While Milliner wasn't asked to backpedal and play a lot of off-man coverage, he has the athletic ability to learn that in the NFL. Milliner should form a nice cornerback trio with Antonio Cromartie and Kyle Wilson immediately. Milliner may become one of the top cornerbacks in the NFL in the longer term; akin to Revis or Richard Sherman. However, Milliner should turn into at least a solid starter.

Most Likely To Bust

Quarterback is the riskiest position to draft early and Smith carries some serious bust potential. A lot of quarterback-needy teams passed on him, and he fell out of the first round for a reason. There are flaws with Smith as a prospect on the field and a lot of criticism about him off the field. He has a good arm and skill set, but he can be streaky as a passer. There are definitely ways Smith can improve.

Unfortunately for him, Smith could be thrust onto the field before he is ready due to New York's lack of talent at the quarterback position. Mark Sanchez has been awful the past two seasons and he may not even make the team in training camp. Even if Smith has some struggles in the preseason, he could beat out Sanchez for the starting spot.

Rookie quarterbacks often struggle in the NFL and the Jets' coaching staff is on the hot seat. If Smith is forced to play and is unable to win, a new regime could be brought into New York as soon as next offseason. That would could lead to a new quarterback and Smith being a backup quarterback like Jimmy Clausen is the Panthers, a former second-round pick who was benched by a new staff. Smith doesn't have much margin for error given the situation the Jets are in.

Potential Boom Pick

This pick was a bit of a surprise, especially with Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei available, but it made complete sense. The Jets have a hybrid defense that features a lot of 3-4 and 4-3 looks. Richardson is a great fit to play end in a 3-4 or three-technique defensive tackle in a 4-3. He has the flexibility to cause havoc in the variety of things likes to do.

Richardson is extremely disruptive at the point of attack. He is an excellent interior pass-rusher but also records sacks coming from defensive end. He is very fast off the snap and has great hands to shed blocks. Richardson is a good run-defender as well as a pass-rusher. He could cause a lot of chaos at the line of scrimmage and help improve the Jets' sack total quickly.

Another thing I love about the selection of Richardson is how his motor could impact the defense. He goes all out on every play. I remember from 2012 seeing him get in on tackles on wide receivers about 20 yards past the line of scrimmage. Richardson gives relentless effort and never quits on plays. I think that will be infectious and have a positive influence on teammate Quinton Coples. The Jets 2012 first-rounder has received criticism for an inconsistent motor. Richardson's style of play could cause Coples to improve his effort so he doesn't get embarrassed in the film room.

I could see Richardson being the Jets' best defensive lineman over Coples and Muhammed Wilkerson in the long term. That trio could be an elite group, and I think Richardson will make the other two even better. He could easily become a boom pick for New York.

Future Depth Player

The Jets have been disappointed with Vladimir Ducasse. They needed to get another guard to potentially become a long-term starter. New York signed veteran Willie Colon in the offseason, but he is only a temporary solution.

Winters is a gritty blocker who played tackle in college. He doesn't have the quickness or length for tackle in the NFL, but he looks like a nice fit at guard. Winters has the bulk to move defenders in the ground game, but he will have to overcome a big jump in competition. If Winters is unable to win a starting spot, he should be solid depth for the Jets behind Colon.

The Jets essentially traded Darrelle Revis for Dee Milliner. I just don't get why they'd deal Revis to just take another cornerback when they have two corners on the roster (Antonio Cromartie, Kyle Wilson) who proved themselves to be capable starters after Revis went down. Milliner had just six interceptions in his college career. He also was never asked to backpedal. Alabama cornerbacks have a history of busting in the NFL, so the Jets better hope that Milliner doesn't continue that tradition.

Wow, Sheldon Richardson before Sharrif Floyd and Star Lotulelei? Many will bash this selection, I'm sure, but I don't mind it. Sheldon Richardson is the top interior pass-rusher who fits the 4-3 and 3-4 - which is key for New York because Rex Ryan loves to use both looks. I'm not sure why Richardson wasn't considered a higher-rated prospect. The Jets had to bolster their pass-rush, and they did just that with Richardson.

This is the last place I'd want to go if I were Geno Smith because the Jets have absolutely nothing to work with on offense. But I imagine after waiting all Thursday evening, he's just relieved to be drafted by someone. This is a great pick for New York though because Smith was considered an option for the No. 1 overall pick when he was winning games. The Jets needed a quarterback, and Smith was the top signal-caller in this entire draft class. It's going to be fun watching Smith duel E.J. Manuel twice per year. I'm sure Smith will be extra motivated for that.

The Jets signed Willie Colon this offseason, but they needed another guard to compete with Vladimir Ducasse. This is the right range for Brian Winters, so this is a pretty solid pick.

Still no skill-position players, but upgrading the offensive line isn't a bad move. Oday Aboushi played tackle in college, but he may have to move to guard in the NFL because of his short arms. Having said that, it's a good idea to find protection for Geno Smith.

I mocked William Campbell to the Jets in the seventh round at one point, so this pick makes sense to me. He's another interior lineman, but he's much different than Sheldon Richardson.

The Jets 2013 draft already has already been given a grade. I had no idea I woke up in December 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post

July 10, 2013

Solid Starter

Most Likely To Bust

Potential Boom Pick

Future Depth Player

The Jets 2013 draft already has already been given a grade? I had no idea I woke up in December 2016!

Sheldon Richardson appears to be the guy that most people will recognize after this season. It seems as though he is in perfect position to succeed. He's also incredibly gifted athletically and just as the writer states, he will push the others.

Muhammad Wilkerson will probably be a positive influence on Richardson right off the bat. I think collectively they will get Coples performing more consistently.

This is really what I'm looking at most forward for this season. I don't believe the Jets will be a very good team this season. But the DL is definitely an area for optimism. I think they'll set the tone at the LOS early and often in games. It also appears that the Jets may finally have a legitimate pass rush.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    The Jets 2013 draft already has already been given a grade? I had no idea I woke up in December 2016!
    great point by haiku

and IF Milliner, Richardson and Smith led the Jets to Superbowl wins in 2014 and 2015, the media assclowns would still give the Jets a B and the Cheating Murderers an A+

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    great point by haiku

and IF Milliner, Richardson and Smith led the Jets to Superbowl wins in 2014 and 2015, the media assclowns would still give the Jets a B and the Cheating Murderers an A+
    But any objective football fan knows different so what difference does it make? If the point hasn't been made abundantly clear by now that the media are a bunch of sold out morons, I don't know what will. The AH case has put that on perfect display.

But to be totally objective about the Patsies, here's what I would say:

They are definitely cheaters. There's no debating that. That was a decision that was made by the highest people in the CS. How it clouds their success in the early 2000's? No one knows for sure. But anyone with an ounce of common sense knows damn well they were benefitting from it, or else they wouldn't have done it in the first place.

They are NOT murderers. One persons action are not reflective of the entire organization. The Patriot way is definitely a complete and total crock of sh*t, but I don't believe anyone could go so far as to accuse the entire organization of murder.

And in regards to draft grades? The only reason why the Patsies get such lofty grades for whatever they do is because they pulled Tom Brady out of their A$$es. But like I already said, that really shouldn't matter though. The Jets need to focus on rebuilding and I think Idzik was brilliant with the entire compliment of picks.

All League
    Never understood draft grades before the players actually play. The most criticized team last year post draft was the Seahawks with D's and F's and it wound up being the best draft during the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Sheldon Richardson appears to be the guy that most people will recognize after this season. It seems as though he is in perfect position to succeed. He's also incredibly gifted athletically and just as the writer states, he will push the others.

Muhammad Wilkerson will probably be a positive influence on Richardson right off the bat. I think collectively they will get Coples performing more consistently.

This is really what I'm looking at most forward for this season. I don't believe the Jets will be a very good team this season. But the DL is definitely an area for optimism. I think they'll set the tone at the LOS early and often in games. It also appears that the Jets may finally have a legitimate pass rush.
    I to agree that Richardson is going to thrive, especially in a Rex Ryan defense. I honestly believe if he is as advertised, he will be the missing piece that will put this defense over the top. I expect this young line to keep us in many ball games this year. If nothing else this year, this group should make watching Jets game a ton of fun.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This was my favorite draft that I can remember since maybe '77

1977 New York Jets Draft
    Round Overall Player Position Birthdate College
    1 4 Marvin Powell OT 08/30/1955 Southern California
    2 33 Wesley Walker WR 05/26/1955 California
    3 72 Tank Marshall DT 01/06/1955 Texas A&M
    4 90 Scott Dierking RB 05/24/1955 Purdue
    5 116 Perry Griggs WR 09/17/1954 Troy State
    5 129 Gary Gregory OT 04/18/1955 Baylor
    6 144 Joe Klecko DT 10/15/1953 Temple
    7 168 Charlie White RB 08/31/1953 Bethune-Cookman
    7 171 Bob Grupp P 05/08/1955 Duke
    7 195 Kevin Long RB 01/20/1955 South Carolina
    8 200 Dan Alexander OG 06/17/1955 Louisiana State
    8 210 Ed Thompson LB 10/06/1954 Ohio State
    9 227 Matt Robinson QB 06/28/1955 Georgia
    10 256 John Hennessy LB 03/12/1955 Michigan
    11 307 Dave Butterfield DB 07/29/1954 Nebraska
    12 312 Phil Gargis RB 07/06/1955 Auburn
    12 313 Dave Conrad OT 10/27/1953 Maryland

I'm probably wasting time responding to this article as the writer clearly has never watched any football deeper than the Red Zone Channel, but:

-How long until people figure out that we did not trade Revis for Milliner, we "traded" Revis for Milliner plus about 13 million cap space per year. That's enough for two free agent starters. Not to mention the literal trade was for pick #13 which was Shell.

-Brian Winters "is coming" is listed as a future depth pick. Which implies he will ne a depth backup in future years. Even though he is the most likely of all our picks to be a starter from day one. Cool analysis Walt.

-So Geno is a likely bust, but his pick gets an "A". Ok. For my football fix, I always turn to Walter.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I'm probably wasting time responding to this article as the writer clearly has never watched any football deeper than the Red Zone Channel, but:

-How long until people figure out that we did not trade Revis for Milliner, we "traded" Revis for Milliner plus about 13 million cap space per year. That's enough for two free agent starters. Not to mention the literal trade was for pick #13 which was Richardson
    +999999

the value of the 4th round pick = Chris Ivory ... That should be included as well ... Revis for 16 mil per season there is no Ivory at 2 mil per season 3 year deal

"The Jets essentially traded Revis for Milliner"

Or not. facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Our offense will hurt our defense with their 3 and outs...injuries are going to pile up this season.

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    I to agree that Richardson is going to thrive, especially in a Rex Ryan defense. I honestly believe if he is as advertised, he will be the missing piece that will put this defense over the top. I expect this young line to keep us in many ball games this year. If nothing else this year, this group should make watching Jets game a ton of fun.
    Funny ... I did not know he was an edge pass rusher, Strong Safety or OLB. Are we are expecting Coples to become LT or Damarcus Ware all of the sudden ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno Valley View Post
    Our offense will hurt our defense with their 3 and outs...injuries are going to pile up this season.
    + a million ...give or take a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno Valley View Post
    All those pick-sixs by Suckchez should give our defense a necessary rest. They would not have even to come on a field between some our "offensive" series.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    This was my favorite draft that I can remember since maybe '77

1977 New York Jets Draft
    Round Overall Player Position Birthdate College
    1 4 Marvin Powell OT 08/30/1955 Southern California
    2 33 Wesley Walker WR 05/26/1955 California
    3 72 Tank Marshall DT 01/06/1955 Texas A&M
    4 90 Scott Dierking RB 05/24/1955 Purdue
    5 116 Perry Griggs WR 09/17/1954 Troy State
    5 129 Gary Gregory OT 04/18/1955 Baylor
    6 144 Joe Klecko DT 10/15/1953 Temple
    7 168 Charlie White RB 08/31/1953 Bethune-Cookman
    7 171 Bob Grupp P 05/08/1955 Duke
    7 195 Kevin Long RB 01/20/1955 South Carolina
    8 200 Dan Alexander OG 06/17/1955 Louisiana State
    8 210 Ed Thompson LB 10/06/1954 Ohio State
    9 227 Matt Robinson QB 06/28/1955 Georgia
    10 256 John Hennessy LB 03/12/1955 Michigan
    11 307 Dave Butterfield DB 07/29/1954 Nebraska
    12 312 Phil Gargis RB 07/06/1955 Auburn
    12 313 Dave Conrad OT 10/27/1953 Maryland
    One like that every year and we'd be in pretty good shape.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    One like that every year and we'd be in pretty good shape.
    Amen brother!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Funny ... I did not know he was an edge pass rusher, Strong Safety or OLB. Are we are expecting Coples to become LT or Damarcus Ware all of the sudden ?
    Coples is an edge rusher. No I don't expect him to become a Ware, or Taylor, but I do expect him to become Q, a power edge rusher, and I expect Richardson to penetrate. Funny, I didn't know you were only allowed to speed rush from the edge.

Walter football is pretty mediocre in their analysis and draft prep.

I love the top three picks in this draft, because it addressed a need at CB (it's a passing spread league, going into the season with only two CBs that can be remotely reliable was going to be foolish), created an opportunity for us to have pressure on the QB with Richardson, and gave hope to anyone that there will be a day when Sanchez doesn't start.

This is actually a pretty decent grade atleast, even if they aren't that high on the individual picks. I've seen posts where some guys had Geno and Millner go in the top 5, and Richardson in the top 15, and then rip the Jets for picking them.