Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New TV Time B*tches

New TV Time B*tches

Ok ... I am looking for a new house and as part of the deal I get to build a home theatre.

Question ... Does anyone have an opinion on which TV under $4k is currently considered 'The Best' . I think I prefer plasma to LED.

Thanks !

All League
    Panasonic if you are going plasma, no doubt about it. If you are willing to spend the 4000 on the TV alone, you can get a 60 or 65 inch tip,top of the line Panasonic plasma and you would be hard pressed to find a crisper picture.

Hall Of Fame
    Panasonic VT60. Assuming the room is going to be dark.

I second the advice in here. If it isn't a room that suffers from direct sunlight a Panasonic is ridiculous bang for your buck. You'll be able to get an amazing tv in that price range.

Using and older Panny plasma 42 in and it has been great set. My only complaint and it because its in a
    Small room is the heat that is generated. You cannot go wrong with a
    Panasonic if your choosing a
    Plasma.

Thanks guys !!! How about on the LED side ... Since I don't really know if the room will ave a controllable light situation,

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Thanks guys !!! How about on the LED side ... Since I don't really know if the room will ave a controllable light situation,
    I wasn't gonna say anything just because usually when someone prefers Plasma they really will only go that direction.

But, as for LED... Samsung Series 8 are the SIHT!
    I've been in the A/V industry for a long time. Dedicated Theater rooms, whole house home automation, custom systems, etc etc.

I've seen and installed nearly every brand and type out there.

IMO Samsung makes the nicest displays picture wise out there.
    They new "Smart TV" feature is also pretty cool, and actually useful!
    Kinda like having an Apple TV built into the tv, just need an internet connection for netflix, hbo-go, etc.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can get an 80" in your budget of 4G.

Thing that makes these Samsung panels so good is the superior black levels.
    I haven't seen a better picture IMO.

And NO, I do not work for Samsung
    Everybody said what there is to say about Panasonic Plasma. They're nice.
    I'd go with a Samsung LED if it were me tho.

Jets Insider VIP
    Best plasma was the Pioneer Kuro (not made anymore). There was talk of a company buying up Pioneer engineers and tech to incorporate the best of the Kuro into their product, but I don't know if that ever happened.

Absent that, Panasonic rocks. Anything other than plasma still has off-axis viewing problems.

What about your other components?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Best plasma was the Pioneer Kuro (not made anymore). There was talk of a company buying up Pioneer engineers and tech to incorporate the best of the Kuro into their product, but I don't know if that ever happened.

Absent that, Panasonic rocks. Anything other than plasma still has off-axis viewing problems.

What about your other components?
    Ah yes the ridiculously expensive and now almost legendary Kuro. I think this latest generation of Panasonic sets finally has a better picture or at least they do according to CNET. The good folks at CNET even give an honorable mention to the Pioneer while praising the new Panasonics. For those who are not familiar with them, CNET is an excellent resource and has been for years.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/

OP, once you have narrowed down your choices you should go over to AVSFORUMS and read the owners thread for each set. First of all it will let you know all about what quirks (if any) might exist and you will get solid advice about what interconnects to use and things like the best calibration procedures.

With a top of the line set this will not be a problem but make sure you get boat loads of inputs. Those can run out prety quickly. Cbale box, XBOX, PS4, and/or BlueRay player, Network Media Tank, etc. etc.

Wireless is great but if you plan any kind of SMART TV activity involving streaming, especially high bitrate streaming then wired INTERNET is essential.

3d? Meh.

Assume your setup will benefit from a separate soundbar. If you are going with home theater and the whole 5.1 or 7.1 setup, even then you will probably finds that running all of your TV through that kind of a setup is overkill for day-to-day viewing. In those cases a simple soundbar setup is still a good option IMO.

How far will you be sitting from the TV?

Jets Insider VIP
    Plasma blows

Especially if you're like me and get drunk and pass out all the time with the TV on. I don't want to fall asleep and have the Netflix screen permanently burned into my screen when I wake up.

Get a Samsung 8 series LED.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Plasma blows

Especially if you're like me and get drunk and pass out all the time with the TV on. I don't want to fall asleep and have the Netflix screen permanently burned into my screen when I wake up.

Get a Samsung 8 series LED.
    burn-in? 1st gen, from before 2004. C'mon granpa - update your information.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    burn-in? 1st gen, from before 2004. C'mon granpa - update your information.
    Panasonic is about to permanently stop manufacturing plasma TV's.

Hell, everyone is.

LCD has clearly won the TV wars.

Plasma has slightly more refined picture quality, but LCD's are brighter and more energy efficient.

Just a matter of preference, really.

All Pro
    The Ultra HD TV is impressive but very expensive

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Panasonic is about to permanently stop manufacturing plasma TV's.

Hell, everyone is.

LCD has clearly won the TV wars.

Plasma has slightly more refined picture quality, but LCD's are brighter and more energy efficient.

Just a matter of preference, really.
    LCD did not win.

Both technologies had flaws initially and both did a good job of correcting those flaws (burn in, ghosting, Panel thickness, Panel weight, refresh rate, etc,).

NEITHER technology "won" the war because both are going to be obsoleted by the clearly superior OLED panels when the prices of those comes down as they are doing now.

CNET who are fairly agnostic about these things are pretty clear about why the top plasma displays actually have a better picture than the corresponding top of the line LCD/LED displays but both are still good and way better then the early generation panels.

OLED (finally) is hitting the shelves now and it absolutley blows away LCD and plasma by almost every measure of picture quality and so I will not have to have the same conversation with SAR about this technology that we have been having for the past four years. There should be plenty of bargains even in the premium models of LCD and Plasma in the next year or two because both technologies are going the way of the dodo bird.

End of life discounts to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    LCD did not win.

Both technologies had flaws initially and both did a good job of correcting those flaws (burn in, ghosting, Panel thickness, Panel weight, refresh rate, etc,).

NEITHER technology "won" the war because both are going to be obsoleted by the clearly superior OLED panels when the prices of those comes down as they are doing now.

CNET who are fairly agnostic about these things are pretty clear about why the top plasma displays actually have a better picture than the corresponding top of the line LCD/LED displays but both are still good and way better then the early generation panels.

OLED (finally) is hitting the shelves now and it absolutley blows away LCD and plasma by almost every measure of picture quality and so I will not have to have the same conversation with SAR about this technology that we have been having for the past four years. There should be plenty of bargains even in the premium models of LCD and Plasma in the next year or two because both technologies are going the way of the dodo bird.

this.

right now is not the best time to buy a TV, the same TV u get today will cost half a year from now. this is one of those "transition" periods...i'd wait.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    this.

right now is not the best time to buy a TV, the same TV u get today will cost half a year from now. this is one of those "transition" periods...i'd wait.
    Actually I think it is a decent time to buy. OLED will be expensive for a while and so the main impact of OLED on the non-OLED market will be to suppress prices which is exactly what the OP is looking for.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    The Ultra HD TV is impressive but very expensive
    Plus there is no real UHD content except for some proof of concept videos created to showcase the technology. UHD displays are not the problem. The bandwidth consumption that comes from them is a big problem for our current infrastructure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    LCD did not win.

Of course OLED is the future.

But I'm sure as hell not dropping $10,000-15,000 on a TV.

It's going to take 4-5 years before they become affordable.

So in the meantime, I prefer LCD to plasma.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I wasn't gonna say anything just because usually when someone prefers Plasma they really will only go that direction.

But, as for LED... Samsung Series 8 are the SIHT!
    I've been in the A/V industry for a long time. Dedicated Theater rooms, whole house home automation, custom systems, etc etc.

I've seen and installed nearly every brand and type out there.

IMO Samsung makes the nicest displays picture wise out there.
    They new "Smart TV" feature is also pretty cool, and actually useful!
    Kinda like having an Apple TV built into the tv, just need an internet connection for netflix, hbo-go, etc.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can get an 80" in your budget of 4G.

Thing that makes these Samsung panels so good is the superior black levels.
    I haven't seen a better picture IMO.

And NO, I do not work for Samsung
    Everybody said what there is to say about Panasonic Plasma. They're nice.
    I'd go with a Samsung LED if it were me tho.
    I second this 1000 times,,,,,,,
    Samsung LED 8 series is the best, by far.

Besides you will need alot of supporting to the wall to support a large Plasma panel and the amount of heat thrown off from Plasma in an enclosed media room can throw temps in the room off by many degrees from the front of the room to the back.

With the new LED tv's I would not even look at Plasma, it does not exist.