Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Jets "toying" with using Geno to change pace.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Have to wonder if this is a case of "he's black so he can run...". Sounds like it might be a media creation based on that rather than an official channel.
    Are you seriously bringing race into this?

Even if you're trolling, it's just stupid.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    You're right, a huge difference. But Marty is in charge, so if he sees something, maybe just let it play out? It's a far cry from the Sparano "we're unleashing Tebow to the world" garbage.
    Actually Tebow was unleashed to the Pats..

It makes perfect sense. Even if they decide not to start geno game 1 it's only a matter of time before he is the starter this yr. Sanchez career is already finished as a jet, but jets may use him to play until geno is ready. This way gradually moves geno in, instead of just pulling the chain on mark at some point in season and just plugging geno in cold turkey. Let him get a feel for the game, and gives coaches a chance to know where geno readiness to be full time starter is..

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Are you seriously bringing race into this?

Even if you're trolling, it's just stupid.
    I'm not trolling and I'm not bringing race into it but to say that there's no reason to think he's a running qb so where would the media get this from.

That's why the statement is in quotes... I'm asking where this thought process could be coming from.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Brad Smith was a jack-of-all trades, a WR, KR, and even emergency QB.

Geno Smith is a rookie quarterback (Ryan's second, by the way) that we can only hope is developed PROPERLY, and not asked to learn a silly offense.
    I'm not big on the change of pace crap but blaming Ryan on one hand and then others saying he does nothing on offense gets to be silly.. If Ryan wanted it Tebow would have been used alot more then he was..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I'm not trolling and I'm not bringing race into it but to say that there's no reason to think he's a running qb so where would the media get this from.

That's why the statement is in quotes... I'm asking where this thought process could be coming from.
    Now that you mention it alot of really good black QB's are also really good at running..

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    It isnt a bad way to get a young QB some experience. My only issue would be that Geno is not that type of QB, or at least he hasnt been up to this point. At least Kaepernick ran the read option in college and was comfortable with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Kaepernick was a great running qb he had 59 rushing td's in college Geno had 4..
    There will be people in this thread that support the idea...but here is why it's a terrible one.

Why is there an assumption that because Geno ran a fast 40 that he'll be good at hitting holes, following blockers and (most importantly) avoiding big hits?

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm not big on the change of pace crap but blaming Ryan on one hand and then others saying he does nothing on offense gets to be silly.. If Ryan wanted it Tebow would have been used alot more then he was..
    Geno is a square peg in a round hole for the read-option. No matter who it's coming from (Ryan, MM), it's a counterproductive idea.

Does that put you on record that the Tanny/FO had a major hand in this decision?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Does that put you on record that the Tanny/FO had a major hand in this decision?
    According to a Woody interview Tebow was all on Tanny..

Dumb. If Sanchez wins the job, don't sabotage him by messing up the rhythm. Also, Geno isn't a runner the way RG3 is. He's more like Rodgers.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    There will be people in this thread that support the idea...but here is why it's a terrible one.

Why is there an assumption that because Geno ran a fast 40 that he'll be good at hitting holes, following blockers and (most importantly) avoiding big hits?
    It doesnt make a lot of sense. Geno should actually be more comfortable in the normal base WCO than the read option, but yet the Jets are going to make him run something he never has in his career??

Jets Insider VIP
    I stopped reading at "Per Cimini". With no pressers until training camp, only that one day at Markys' Vanity Buttfumble waste of time and NO Pettine around to feed his negative agenda, our Dick has to resort to just pulling stuff out of his Arse to meet his ESPatsN deadlines

Jets Insider VIP
    It doesnt make a lot of sense. Geno should actually be more comfortable in the normal base WCO than the read option, but yet the Jets are going to make him run something he never has in his career??
    That's what I'm saying. Square peg, meet round hole.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Dumb. If Sanchez wins the job, don't sabotage him by messing up the rhythm. Also, Geno isn't a runner the way RG3 is. He's more like Rodgers.

Well, aside from the whole, best QB in the league kind of stuff. But otherwise, yeah, just like him.

This is why our offense is a joke. Everyone in the league knows Smith is a pocket passer... They are going to ruin Smiths natural instincts just like they did with Sanchez. For once can we not just build an offense for the style of talent we have rather then the other way around. Rex is killing me with his ideas on offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Kerley to Reuland has a 100.0% completion rate and a 40 yard attempt per pass =)
    ban

You're right, a huge difference. But Marty is in charge, so if he sees something, maybe just let it play out? It's a far cry from the Sparano "we're unleashing Tebow to the world" garbage.
    ban

Keep in mind Kaepernick was a change-of-pace guy for the Niners before he got the nod to start. It has worked. The only question is if the Jets can do it.

Of course, the parallel would be Sanchez getting a concussion, but we won't go there.
    ban

the most obvious troll since TX

Report: Jets “toying” with using Geno Smith to change pace
    Posted by Josh Alper on July 15, 2013,

When the Jets traded for Tim Tebow last year, many speculated that they would use him as a change-of-pace quarterback with his own package of offensive plays that the team would use to expand their options when they had the ball.

Tebow only played sparingly on offense in 2012 and the Jets were roundly ridiculed for the way they deployed him. According to a report from Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, however, the team hasn’t totally given up the idea of having a backup quarterback with his own portfolio even though last year’s offensive coordinator Tony Sparano is now coaching the offensive line in Oakland.

Per Cimini, Jets coaches are “toying” with the idea of using rookie Geno Smith as a change-of-pace quarterback if he doesn’t win the starting job with a package of plays centered on the read-option. The idea is to make use of Smith’s speed while also giving him game experience he wouldn’t get otherwise, although Cimini points out one potential stumbling block in Smith’s limited history of success on designed runs while in college.

While the Jets offense can surely use any wrinkle that makes it more successful, the notion of shuttling quarterbacks in and out of the game only underlines how badly the Jets need to find a quarterback that they aren’t willing to take off the field for chunks of the game. The Jets presumably selected Smith in the second round of the draft because they felt he had the potential to be that kind of player and they’ll likely be best served by keeping him focused on attaining that goal as quickly as possible rather than returning to a well that bore no water last season.
    Agreed. After all, look how screwed up the same approach left the 49ers. Now they're stuck with Colin Kaepernick at QB . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    ban

ban

ban

the most obvious troll since TX
    Why don't you post something of value to this board other than "ban"

The reality is getting Geno some live game experience can only help him long term. I doubt that Mornhinweg puts him in to run anything outside of his skillset.