Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Jets "toying" with using Geno to change pace.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    thank you, Nostradumbass, the fortune teller....

could you let us know which horse is going to win the first at Saratoga this Saturday so we can ALL make some big money
    Nostradumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOw, your not only a clueless football fan but you are also a comedian. You thought of that all by youself. Mommy must be so proud. You deserve a prize big boy for coming up with such a clever line.

Jets Insider VIP
    actually you are the one making the idiotic comparisons based on round drafted

ALL second rounders are BUSTS or BACKUPS

all first rounders are HALL OF FAMERS

or maybe there is some other underlying reason that you HATE Geno Smith...

Jets Insider VIP
    frankly, I'm finished watching you make a jerk of yourself...

you'll have to stand there all by yourself and get sacked like your namesake Kenny ZERO Statue from now on.

see ya, genius
    Last edited by sg3; 07-16-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    This is simply not true.
    The chances of a QB busting in the 1st round is far less than that of a QB picked in subsequent rounds. History has shown this to be true time and time again. The number of QBs in the 1st rd who wind up stinking is far less.

Earlier I gave you a list of QBs drafted in the second round since 1992. Here is a list of QBs drafted in the 1st round since 1992. 22/48 of the QBs taken (45.8%) ended up being solid starters. Thats much better 3 out of 22 (13.6%) taken in the 2nd round

1992 Tommy Maddox, Broncos
    1992 Dave Klingler, Bengals
    1993 Rick Mirer, Seahawks
    1993 Drew Bledsoe, Pats
    1994 Trent Dilfer, Bucs
    1994 Heath Miller, Redskins
    1995 Steve McNair, Oilers
    1995 Kerry Collins, Panthers
    1996 No QBs Picked
    1997 Jim Druckenmiller (49ers)
    1998 Ryan Leaf, Chargers
    1998 Peyton Manning (Colts)
    1999 Akili Smith, Cincinatti
    1999 Cade McNown (Bears)
    1999 Daunte Culpepper (Vikings)
    1999 Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia
    1999 Tim Couch, Cleveland Browns
    2000 Chad Pennington, NY Jets
    2001 Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons
    2002 Joey Harrington Detroit Lions
    2002 Patrick Ramsey Washington Redskins
    2003 Carson Palmer Cincinnati Bengals
    2003 Byron Leftwich Jacksonville Jaguars
    2003 Kyle Boller Baltimore Ravens
    2003 Rex Grossman Chicago Bears
    2004 Eli Manning San Diego Chargers
    2004 Philip Rivers New York Giants
    2004 Ben Roethlisberger Pittsburgh Steelers
    2004 J.P. Losman Buffalo Bills
    2005 Alex Smith San Francisco 49ers
    2005 Aaron Rodgers Green Bay Packers
    2005 Jason Campbell Washington Redskins
    2006 Vince Young Tennessee Titans
    2006 Matt Leinart Arizona Cardinals
    2006 Jay Cutler Denver Broncos
    2007 JaMarcus Russell Oakland Raiders
    2007 Brady Quinn Cleveland Browns
    2008 Matt Ryan Atlanta Falcons
    2008 Joe Flacco Baltimore Ravens
    2009 Matt Stafford Detroit Lions
    2009 Mark Sanchez New York Jets
    2009 Josh Freeman Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    2010 Sam Bradford St. Louis Rams
    2010 Tim Tebow Denver Broncos
    2011 Cam Newton, Panthers
    2011 Jake Locker, Titans
    2011 Blaine Gabbert, Jax
    2011 Christian Ponder, Vikings
    2012 Andrew Luck, Colts
    2012 RGIII, Redskins
    2012 Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins
    2012 Brandon Weeden, Browns
    you just proved my point. the majority of qbs bust, regardless of round.

Question

Geno was projected in most mock's as a top 10 pick. I dont know where teams actually projected him talent wise since I am not privy to that knowledge. Buffalo, who desperately needed a QB traded back in the 1st and still did not pick Geno Smith. They actually picked another QB, EJ Manuel, Which is quite telling as to what they thought of Geno.

Another team that has a need at QB is Cleveland. While they did not have a 1st round pick, they could have packaged later round and future picks to move up and nab a so called "late 1st round talent" in the 2nd but they did not. Jacksonville , like you said had a bigger need at QB but valued a Safety higher than Geno and were comfortable passing him on.

Oakland also had a need at QB and easily could have moved up in the 2nd (42 to 38) to get Smith but did not. Arizona likewise has a big need at QB and could have moved up from 45 to 38 but did not. If he really was a late 1st round talent and availabe at #39, you would think these teams with needs at a vital position would have made a move up but none of them did.

Geno is not that good.
    Again , I hope Im wrong for the team's sake.
    Lol man you did not just make the point that because the crappppiest franchise in the NFL (bills) skipped up on geno that is " a very telling sign" lol.. You didn't mention their brilliant idea behind the Manuel pick, " cold weather qb with huge hands" lol.. He was projected in 3rd, other teams said they would not have taken him in the 1st but since the bills shocked the world it must be very telling of geno lol.. And your very wrong, the text thing did have an effect on geno. The kid has been nothing but professional now but that rumor ran wild. The other guys who had negative press aren't qbs why their value didn't drop. You should know qbs are held to much higher standard.. Since you like stats.. How many qbs have gone on to be good after averaging the lowest qb rating in the nfl for past 4 years? You Sanchez cheerleaders are too funny..

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    you just proved my point. the majority of qbs bust, regardless of round.
    The majority of QBs do bust. Thats true. But my point was that as you go down in the rounds for 2 to 7 the bust rate is significantly higher. There is a big difference between a bust rate of 56% and a bust rate of 87% which is the difference between 1st and 2nd round QBs between 1992 and 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Lol man you did not just make the point that because the crappppiest franchise in the NFL (bills) skipped up on geno that is " a very telling sign" lol.. You didn't mention their brilliant idea behind the Manuel pick, " cold weather qb with huge hands" lol.. He was projected in 3rd, other teams said they would not have taken him in the 1st but since the bills shocked the world it must be very telling of geno lol.. And your very wrong, the text thing did have an effect on geno. The kid has been nothing but professional now but that rumor ran wild. The other guys who had negative press aren't qbs why their value didn't drop. You should know qbs are held to much higher standard.. Since you like stats.. How many qbs have gone on to be good after averaging the lowest qb rating in the nfl for past 4 years? You Sanchez cheerleaders are too funny..
    Ive said it time and time again, I think Sanchez sucks and I want him replaced.

The difference is you want to replace him with anybody not named Mark Sanchez and I want him replaced with a viable starting option. I do not believe we have that guy on our roster right now. Geno Smith will prove to be the next Kellen Clemens. Mark my words.

The majority of QBs do bust. Thats true. But my point was that as you go down in the rounds for 2 to 7 the bust rate is significantly higher. There is a big difference between a bust rate of 56% and a bust rate of 87% which is the difference between 1st and 2nd round QBs between 1992 and 2012.
    and my other point was, the same can be said of other positions. as you go deeper in the draft, the bust rate increases. the caveat is, you are more likely to be satisfied with an ok OG in the 6th round (ie, slauson), but it's much harder to win with an ok qb you get in the 6th round. that's why so many qbs are taken in the 2nd round still, b/c teams are looking for the exception to the rules, and teams can't keep taking qbs in the first round b/c there are too many sanchez, gabbert types who will ruin your team for 4 years.

actually you are the one making the idiotic comparisons based on round drafted

ALL second rounders are BUSTS or BACKUPS

all first rounders are HALL OF FAMERS

or maybe there is some other underlying reason that you HATE Geno Smith...
    Where did i say ALL 2nd rounders are busts or backups and ALL 1st rounders are hall of famers?

I didnt say that. Im sorry reading comprehension is not your forte. But dont put words into my mouth.

and my other point was, the same can be said of other positions. as you go deeper in the draft, the bust rate increases. the caveat is, you are more likely to be satisfied with an ok OG in the 6th round (ie, slauson), but it's much harder to win with an ok qb you get in the 6th round. that's why so many qbs are taken in the 2nd round still, b/c teams are looking for the exception to the rules, and teams can't keep taking qbs in the first round b/c there are too many sanchez, gabbert types who will ruin your team for 4 years.
    Your absolutely correct the same can be said of other positions. BUT, blowing a pick (or in this case 2 picks) on bad QBs will set your franchise back 5-6 years whereas blowing a high pick on a bad ILB or TE will not have the same effect.

We blew a 1st rd pick on a QB just 4 years ago. We were better off signing a guy like Kolb and waiting another year to draft a QB or take a chance on a QB in the lower rounds since Geno Smith is no sure thing and the value of a high 2nd is too high to take a chance on a questionable prospect like Geno

Your absolutely correct the same can be said of other positions. BUT, blowing a pick (or in this case 2 picks) on bad QBs will set your franchise back 5-6 years whereas blowing a high pick on a bad ILB or TE will not have the same effect.

We blew a 1st rd pick on a QB just 4 years ago. We were better off signing a guy like Kolb and waiting another year to draft a QB or take a chance on a QB in the lower rounds since Geno Smith is no sure thing and the value of a high 2nd is too high to take a chance on a questionable prospect like Geno
    not true anymore. the rookie salary structure in place now requires a lower fixed payment, and there's a difference between investing a first vs. a second round pick. a good example is carolina, who took clausen in the 2nd round and then the following year took cam newton and didn't look back. the 2nd round qb investment is minimal.

not true anymore. the rookie salary structure in place now requires a lower fixed payment, and there's a difference between investing a first vs. a second round pick. a good example is carolina, who took clausen in the 2nd round and then the following year took cam newton and didn't look back. the 2nd round qb investment is minimal.
    agree. lets say geno wins the job sucks and jets have high draft pick. they can still pick a QB next year because Smith is not making that much

Smith was great value where they got him even if he sucks

All League
    I think we will be caught in between. The QBs will be bad, but we will win 4-7 games, out of the race for the top QBs who will be drafted

All League
    Where did i say ALL 2nd rounders are busts or backups and ALL 1st rounders are hall of famers?

I didnt say that. Im sorry reading comprehension is not your forte. But dont put words into my mouth.
    sg3 is the queen of hyperbole.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Geno was a great value pick, but I'm more skeptical than most here that he's got the skills and attributes I've been reading on some threads. Hopefully the Jets let him develop - sit and learn for now, get him some real weapons next offseason.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Geno was a great value pick, but I'm more skeptical than most here that he's got the skills and attributes I've been reading on some threads. Hopefully the Jets let him develop - sit and learn for now, get him some real weapons next offseason.
    I'm with you. I hope he turns out great, but there is a reason this QB class didn't get much respect. The fact that he is a 2nd rounder will make it an easier pill to swallow, if it doesn't work out

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I think this would give him the best chance to succeed.
    I dont think he will ever be a franchise QB but throwing him to the wolves by starting him on day 1 is a sure way to guarantee failure.

I had a dream Geno badly misthrew a short flat route during a game this season. That was the entire dream. True story.

Jets Insider VIP
    sure way...guaranteed failure...surefire....no QB not drafted in round one has ever started immediately and succeeded...none....never...ever

The seer 07 has spoken

sure way...guaranteed failure...surefire....no QB not drafted in round one has ever started immediately and succeeded...none....never...ever

The seer 07 has spoken
    Reading Comprehension, my friend. I suggest you start mastering it. You will go further in life once you can understand and follow what you read. Reading is fundamental.