Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Cimini mentions JetsInsider.com in Jets/Long Island article.

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cimini mentions JetsInsider.com in Jets/Long Island article.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets


    Examining the Jets-Long Island issue
    July, 15, 2013
    JUL 15
    5:49
    PM ET
    By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
    RECOMMEND5TWEET3COMMENTS15EMAILPRINT
    While I was on vacation ...

    The Jets announced their training-camp schedule and, in a surprise, they eliminated the annual night practice at Hofstra -- an insult to their Long Island fan base. When they left Hofstra after the 2008 preseason, the Jets promised to maintain a connection to Hofstra (their home for 40 years) and their Long Island roots. They did it in 2009 and 2010, making the bus trip to Long Island, but 2011 was rained out and 2012 was cancelled because of the presidential debate at Hofstra -- or so we were told.

    The team released a statement on the decision to skip Hofstra, saying, "Although our plans did not materialize this year, it is nonetheless an ongoing priority for us" -- meaning hosting events and practices on Long Island and Queens. The statement didn't say why it didn't happen this year; a team spokesman declined to elaborate. Over the years, I've heard coaches and players call it an inconvenience, a disruption to the training-camp regimen.

    Personally, I think it's a small price to pay. For many fans, this was their only chance to see the Jets in training camp. Upstate Cortland is at least four hours from Long Island, and Florham Park, N.J., where they will hold an open practice Aug. 21, is a two-bridge commute. Some Long Island-based fans are upset. One of the fan web sites, JetsInsider.com, organized a online petition that produced nearly 200 signatures from folks that want to see the team on Long Island, if only for a cameo appearance.

    It's not like the Jets are unwanted. Stony Brook University, about 35 miles east of Hofstra, is also willing to host them for a practice this summer, according to Jim Fiore, the school's director of athletics. Stony Brook has upgraded its facilities in recent years and would be a terrific, fan-friendly location. If it's too late for this training camp, it's something to consider down the road. The school would love to be part of the Jets' future. The team's contract with Cortland expires this year, it should be noted.

    A goodwill trip to Long Island would be a nice PR move at a time when the the Jets could use the positive publicity. Here's an idea: Buy a bull and turn him loose on the field. That would surely attract Rex Ryan.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stony Brook as the site for training camp would be a great solution.

    The one night cameo is a pain in the ass for the team. I understand why they'd rather not do it. But part of it is their own fault. Holding the scrimmage on a weekday evening is a traffic nightmare. Should have it on a Saturday or Sunday early afternoon if they want to do the cameo...

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,327
    Post Thanks / Like
    JI's value just went down.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,452
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post


    Examining the Jets-Long Island issue
    July, 15, 2013
    JUL 15
    5:49
    PM ET
    By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
    RECOMMEND5TWEET3COMMENTS15EMAILPRINT
    While I was on vacation ...


    A goodwill trip to Long Island would be a nice PR move at a time when the the Jets could use the positive publicity. Here's an idea: Buy a bull and turn him loose on the field. That would surely attract Rex Ryan.
    The bolded part is exactly the problem with the "establishment" in sports journalism. Hacks with no personalities or senses of humour trying to tell terrible jokes. And taking cheap, pointless shots while they are at it.

    I'm so glad we have blogs like Turn On The Jets, and forums like this very site itself, to escape what passes for "sports journalism" on the mainstream sites.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    Cimini gets lots of his ideas for his columns from reading JI & its posters.
    The ***** just needs to start quoting me like he ought to...

  6. #6
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    The bolded part is exactly the problem with the "establishment" in sports journalism. Hacks with no personalities or senses of humour trying to tell terrible jokes. And taking cheap, pointless shots while they are at it.

    I'm so glad we have blogs like Turn On The Jets, and forums like this very site itself, to escape what passes for "sports journalism" on the mainstream sites.
    +1. He's a lazy hack, too.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    200 signatures out of all of the Jets fans in the world. There is no reason for the Jets to go to Long Island other than having a draft party there to appease those 200 fans. I don't want my players getting hurt or tired from the bus ride to nowhere.

    Maybe NY's team (the Bills) can have a day of training camp there.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 07-15-2013 at 11:10 PM.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    +1. He's a lazy hack, too.
    That column is pure trolling..."or so we were told," this clown writes.

    All of this is "an insult"? The Jets have insulted their LI fans because they're not going to practice at Hofstra?

    Cimini couldn't give 2 $hits where the Jets practice. He's trolling for hits.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,806
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Stony Brook as the site for training camp would be a great solution.

    The one night cameo is a pain in the ass for the team. I understand why they'd rather not do it. But part of it is their own fault. Holding the scrimmage on a weekday evening is a traffic nightmare. Should have it on a Saturday or Sunday early afternoon if they want to do the cameo...
    Cortland is > Stony Brook ... Much more remote ... WAY less traffic ... The team has one thing to do there ... Practice .
    Last edited by Dunnie; 07-16-2013 at 06:37 AM.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,313
    Post Thanks / Like
    the jets should just do what the giants did this season, and have training camp where they practice all season, have it in florham park

  11. #11
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a well established fact that placating fans = championships.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    the jets should just do what the giants did this season, and have training camp where they practice all season, have it in florham park
    I agree... they should do EVERYTHING that YOUR Giants do. EVERYTHING

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    the jets should just do what the giants did this season, and have training camp where they practice all season, have it in florham park
    Nobody cares what you think, dlckhead

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    It's a well established fact that winning championships = placating fans.
    Fixed.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,516
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets


    Examining the Jets-Long Island issue
    July, 15, 2013
    JUL 15
    5:49
    PM ET
    By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
    RECOMMEND5TWEET3COMMENTS15EMAILPRINT
    While I was on vacation ...

    The Jets announced their training-camp schedule and, in a surprise, they eliminated the annual night practice at Hofstra -- an insult to their Long Island fan base. When they left Hofstra after the 2008 preseason, the Jets promised to maintain a connection to Hofstra (their home for 40 years) and their Long Island roots. They did it in 2009 and 2010, making the bus trip to Long Island, but 2011 was rained out and 2012 was cancelled because of the presidential debate at Hofstra -- or so we were told.

    The team released a statement on the decision to skip Hofstra, saying, "Although our plans did not materialize this year, it is nonetheless an ongoing priority for us" -- meaning hosting events and practices on Long Island and Queens. The statement didn't say why it didn't happen this year; a team spokesman declined to elaborate. Over the years, I've heard coaches and players call it an inconvenience, a disruption to the training-camp regimen.

    Personally, I think it's a small price to pay. For many fans, this was their only chance to see the Jets in training camp. Upstate Cortland is at least four hours from Long Island, and Florham Park, N.J., where they will hold an open practice Aug. 21, is a two-bridge commute. Some Long Island-based fans are upset. One of the fan web sites, JetsInsider.com, organized a online petition that produced nearly 200 signatures from folks that want to see the team on Long Island, if only for a cameo appearance.

    It's not like the Jets are unwanted. Stony Brook University, about 35 miles east of Hofstra, is also willing to host them for a practice this summer, according to Jim Fiore, the school's director of athletics. Stony Brook has upgraded its facilities in recent years and would be a terrific, fan-friendly location. If it's too late for this training camp, it's something to consider down the road. The school would love to be part of the Jets' future. The team's contract with Cortland expires this year, it should be noted.

    A goodwill trip to Long Island would be a nice PR move at a time when the the Jets could use the positive publicity. Here's an idea: Buy a bull and turn him loose on the field. That would surely attract Rex Ryan.
    His article had a lot of good points until he became a jackass with the last portion.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    His article had a lot of good points until he became a jackass with the last portion.
    I think it's a Tourette's thing with Dick Semen.... he can't help himself

  17. #17
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't the title of the thread read "JI mentions cimini sinks"?

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Fr:NYC to Mid Ga.
    Posts
    8,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    His article had a lot of good points until he became a jackass with the last portion.

    His thread is useless!
    Last edited by TechJet; 07-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.

  19. #19
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    39,599
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Nobody cares what you think, dlckhead
    Knock it off.

    Thx

    -


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,439
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Knock it off.

    Thx

    -


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No prob, Chief

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us