Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Serious question *****ES

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Serious question *****ES

So I go to a wedding last weekend. Our table was all couples we have know for years but haven't seen for a long time. (The wedding was of Mrs. FF2s college roommate, my table was all her girlfriends from college, husbands were brought along.) Everyone is joking about the challenges and funny things that come up in marriage. All in good fun except one guy who has an edge to his comments about his wife (who is a peach)...and she ain't laughing. I try to deflect...add more humor and he goes right back at it with cutting remarks. He's not happy to be there and he wants everyone to know it. Real uncomfortable. I'm not friends with this guy but know him. Put a big damper on the whole event.

I usually ignore this kind of stuff and mind my own business and I did this time too.

Would you have said something to him? Off to the side? Or minded your own business?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Take the wife to the Port-o-potties then have a dance

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mind your own business and then gossip with your wife about it in the car on the way home, obviously.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    So I go to a wedding last weekend. Our table was all couples we have know for years but haven't seen for a long time. (The wedding was of Mrs. FF2s college roommate, my table was all her girlfriends from college, husbands were brought along.) Everyone is joking about the challenges and funny things that come up in marriage. All in good fun except one guy who has an edge to his comments about his wife (who is a peach)...and she ain't laughing. I try to deflect...add more humor and he goes right back at it with cutting remarks. He's not happy to be there and he wants everyone to know it. Real uncomfortable. I'm not friends with this guy but know him. Put a big damper on the whole event.

I usually ignore this kind of stuff and mind my own business and I did this time too.

Would you have said something to him? Off to the side? Or minded your own business?
    F' him. You should have immediately hit on the wife. Haven't you learned anything from Shakin's school of marital acrimony and how to exploit it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Mind your own business and then gossip with your wife about it in the car on the way home, obviously.
    lol

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep the business in the family keep the family in the business.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he rather had been at the lake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEPoO08IMog#at=59

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This.

Their broken marriage isn't anyones concern but them, no matter how much they want to vent it at the table.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

I swear this happens to me and my girlfriend every weekend. Some of her girlfriends date idiots like the one mentioned. We just make fun of them on the way home and I look like the best boyfriend in the world.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    This.

Their broken marriage isn't anyones concern but them, no matter how much they want to vent it at the table.
    I get that.

Lately I've been wanting to say things to rude people.

I'll probably get shot soon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I see the problem.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhuntr View Post

oh lord.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get that.

You vent every day right here.... that probably helps your not needing to vent live. You know, internet tough guy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I get that.

Fish and Paulie are 100% right.

That being said, I have a hard time not giving people sh!t who deserve it - especially whilst drinking. It hasn't fully gotten me in trouble just yet, but it almost got me stabbed in Vegas at a poker table (I didn't know it until afterwards, thankfully).

Considering that this guy was not likely to have stabbed you at a wedding, I probably would have started making fun of him for being too cool to be there. And then my wife would probably elbow me and take my drink away.

So, you did the right thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you have said something to him? Off him on the side? Or minded your own business?
    That was cordial of you to deflect, but im sure this guy doesnt to be "offed". Geez, you guys.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    That was cordial of you to deflect, but im sure this guy doesnt to be "offed". Geez, you guys.
    Look....FF2 will warn you once. He'll use humor to deflect. He'll even warn you twice. But if you don't heed that last warning, you'll find yerself in a 3ft ditch covered in lye.

They don't fuk around in the Foxoboro/RI region.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    FF2

Embodying The Patriot* Way

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jackhuntr View Post

I couldn't even watch that whole thing. How did that guy remain calm...I would have driven INTO the lake.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'mm one of those well-intentioned morons that cannot personally erase the stain of having had to "speak up" in these same circumstances. I "wrecked the party" for so many.

Resetting the offense is one of my wife's finishing moves, when she's got me reeling.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Dunno. Could have been a Latino wedding.
    He looks like a cake to me...in that white shirt, with glistening frosting on top. I could see it.