Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Yankee team

This Yankee team

Bores me to death. We need Pineda and DePaula up here for some excitement, even the Mets have that. Sooner or later the Yankees need to be just bad, we are never bad enough to get high draft picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden 2.0 View Post
    Bores me to death. We need Pineda and DePaula up here for some excitement, even the Mets have that. Sooner or later the Yankees need to be just bad, we are never bad enough to get high draft picks.

The Yankees need to go in full rebuild mode. This team is old and mediocre. We cant rely on former stars who are now old and past their prime.
    Seriously, this is starting to look like those teams form the late 1980s where the team was old and rather than rebuild would trade prospects for more over the hill guys like Ken Phelps, John Candelaria, and Walt Terrell.

Yankees fans just need to accept that we will suck for the next 3 years while we stockpile young talent. I dont know if Cashman is the guy for a rebuild. Also , based on the last few drafts, we probably need to revamp our scouting department.

Hall Of Fame
    Yanks are at the tail end of 20 year run that began in 1994. They have been besieged by injuries. A "lean year" is them competing for a wild card. I still have hopes the will make it to the play-in game this year. Next year might look like this year b.c they are trying to get under the 189 to reset their luxury tax rate. They will spend the $$$ needed to be a contender.

Veteran
    Agreed almost on everything but DePaula, who just isn't ready. Pineda will be up as soon as his arbitration year is pushed back (I think one more week or so), and Hughes is traded.

Unfortunately, this team doesn't really have any options to get better. The aging guys are around for awhile, or they don't have anyone to back them up.

It all stems from the front offices arrogance (same thing that has led to so many empty seats) that they can do whatever they want, put whatever product on the field they want, and the fans will buy whatever crap they spew out about "veteraness," "championship caliber," or whatever else they claim make this team good.

We need some legit lean years and rebuild. It will be painful, but giving Cano a 10 year deal/$200m+ should be off the table. Our days of paying top dollar for players into their 40s should be over.

It also may be time to turn the page on Brian Cashman, or at least someone new to run the draft. Andrew Brackman, Jeremy Bleich, Cito Culver, Dante Bichette Jr. We gotta do better than that.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden 2.0; 07-17-2013 at 08:54 PM.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    I’m not sure what annoys me more… Yankee fans whose team is 7 games over .500 and has not had a losing season since 1992 whining about being 3 games out of the wild card race or Met fans thinking 8 games under .500 is “not bad”…geez

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Agreed almost on everything but DePaula, who just isn't ready. Pineda will be up as soon as his arbitration year is pushed back (I think one more week or so), and Hughes is traded.

Unfortunately, this team doesn't really have any options to get better. The aging guys are around for awhile, or they don't have anyone to back them up.

It all stems from the front offices arrogance (same thing that has led to so many empty seats) that they can do whatever they want, put whatever product on the field they want, and the fans will buy whatever crap they spew out about "veteraness," "championship caliber," or whatever else they claim make this team good.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

The Yankees are fourth (by average) in home attendance and third in overall attendance.

All League
    We need some legit lean years and rebuild. It will be painful, but giving Cano a 10 year deal/$200m+ should be off the table. Our days of paying top dollar for players into their 40s should be over.

It also may be time to turn the page on Brian Cashman, or at least someone new to run the draft. Andrew Brackman, Jeremy Bleich, Cito Culver, Dante Bichette Jr. We gotta do better than that.

You are confusing the NFL draft with the MLB draft.

The MLB amateur draft is a giant crap shoot. If it wasn't a crap shoot the Yankees would have had a losing season once or twice since 1992 and the Pirates would make the playoffs once a decade..

I'd love to see some stats on MLB 1st round picks.
    What % make a MLB roster?
    What % are on a MLB roster for at least 163 games?
    What % start 163 MLB games?
    What % Pitch in 200 MLB innings?
    etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I’m not sure what annoys me more… Yankee fans whose team is 7 games over .500 and has not had a losing season since 1992 whining about being 3 games out of the wild card race or Met fans thinking 8 games under .500 is “not bad”…geez
    Shocking that Yankee and Mets fans have different standards.

You are confusing the NFL draft with the MLB draft.

The MLB amateur draft is a giant crap shoot. If it wasn't a crap shoot the Yankees would have had a losing season once or twice since 1992 and the Pirates would make the playoffs once a decade..

I'd love to see some stats on MLB 1st round picks.
    What % make a MLB roster?
    What % are on a MLB roster for at least 163 games?
    What % start 163 MLB games?
    What % Pitch in 200 MLB innings?
    etc...
    Tell that to the Rays. Some teams draft well, some don't.. Your chances vastly increases in the top half of the draft. The top 15 of the 1st around is far less of a crap shoot than the bottom 15

All League
    Tell that to the Rays. Some teams draft well, some don't.. Your chances vastly increases in the top half of the draft. The top 15 of the 1st around is far less of a crap shoot than the bottom 15
    The Rays were a last place team for 9 of their first 10 years of existence. Of course they'd eventually hit on some picks but building through the draft takes a long, long time.

All League
    Shocking that Yankee and Mets fans have different standards.
    Yes. Yankee fans pout if the don't win 120 games and get knocked out in the playoffs.

boo hoo.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    The Rays were a last place team for 9 of their first 10 years of existence. Of course they'd eventually hit on some picks but building through the draft takes a long, long time.
    in the last 20 years how many times have the Pirates and Royals picked in the top 10?

Its not that the Yankees are only 7 games over .500 (Mets fans would salivate for this) but its the make up of this team. Older stars in the twilight of their careers, part time players starting, older players who were never really that good and the lack of legitimate young talent to provide a glimmer of hope for the future.

We need a GM who has an eye for talent and knows how do build a team without spending a ton of money on older free agents past their prime. Cashman is not that guy

in the last 20 years how many times have the Pirates and Royals picked in the top 10?
    Thats because they never spent money. You cant build through the draft alone in baseball. You need to get some players through FA and Trades. But you also need to get young players.

The recent Yankee dynasty was built through a combination of both. You had young players- Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Pettite, Williams to provide a young core and added a few veterans- Oneill, Cone, Wells, Nelson/Stanton, Martinez who were still young enough to be productive.

All League
    Probably very close to 20.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Its not that the Yankees are only 7 games over .500 (Mets fans would salivate for this) but its the make up of this team. Older stars in the twilight of their careers, part time players starting, older players who were never really that good and the lack of legitimate young talent to provide a glimmer of hope for the future.

We need a GM who has an eye for talent and knows how do build a team without spending a ton of money on older free agents past their prime. Cashman is not that guy
    What he said.

All Pro
    Yes. Yankee fans pout if the don't win 120 games and get knocked out in the playoffs.

boo hoo.
    When you add no young talent for several years in a row, it shows.

Cashman's drafts have been poor. The only position players on the team he came up with in the last 7 years are Gardner and Cano. You can add Melky to that, but that's not a lot for as long as Cash has been here.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    When you add no young talent for several years in a row, it shows.

Cashman's drafts have been poor. The only position players on the team he came up with in the last 7 years are Gardner and Cano. You can add Melky to that, but that's not a lot for as long as Cash has been here.
    Melky should count, they traded him. You can also count Austin Jackson.
    They've been massively successful for the last 20 years and to feed the beast that is the Yankee empire (attendance, YES etc) they need to have star players like Sabathia, Tex, Granderson. And in acquiring some of those players you had to trade young talent or sacrifice draft picks. Some of the moves that they're really paying for like AROD weren't Cashman's doing.
    The other big problem is they counted on young pitching that either flopped completely: Joba, Brackman, Banuelos and Betances or haven't delivered quite up to expectations: Hughes. If they hit on 2 of those guys they'd look much better.