Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: Cancer update: lumps in neck/varius other parts

  1. #21

    Good Luck and Im praying for you

    I hope that everything will be ok- but please go to Sloan Kettering in NYC right away and have it checked out.

    My son had Hodgkins Lymphoma back in 1999, which started as a quickly

    formimg lump on the side of his neck. He beat that Cancer. Skin Cancer took him from us this April at age 27.....it was too advanced to save him.

    If it is a diagnosis of Hodgkins, the survival rate is over 90%.....so TRY not to freak if that is the Diagnosis. Its VERY VERY curable.

    The key to most all Cancers is early detection.

    PM me also if you want to talk- My family has alot of experience with Cancer-

    both good and bad.

    You will be in my prayers daily.

    God Bless.

  2. #22
    as others have said, you have to make yourself obnoxious and see your doc right away or see SOMEONE right away.

    Even if it turns out to be nothing,,,you will feel so much better and the plus is you will feel more empowered.

    PLEASE remember these medical people work for YOU...not the other way around.

    BE OBNOXIOUS.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    as others have said, you have to make yourself obnoxious and see your doc right away or see SOMEONE right away.

    Even if it turns out to be nothing,,,you will feel so much better and the plus is you will feel more empowered.

    PLEASE remember these medical people work for YOU...not the other way around.

    BE OBNOXIOUS.
    FF2 is so correct..... You DO have to be pushy at times in Life..... This is one of those times.....

    God Bless

  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,219
    First, McG, so sorry to hear about your lumps.

    Second, I have to agree with all those above who said to find another doctor pronto. I had found a lump and called my doctor. With no history of lumps or anything like that, she wanted to see me that day (fortunately it was nothing). But waiting 2 weeks is ridiculous. You shouldn't put up with that.

    It doesn't mean that there is a problem with the lumps. It just means that reputable doctors will want to see you right away to rule things out, especially with your history of the ultrasound.

    Don't stress yourself out thinking of all the bad things. Just go somewhere else and find another doctor (or go to the places recommended by others) to get yourself checked.

    You have to be your own advocate in medical treatment.



    I, unfortunately, know this because we spent all day at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston yesterday. Left Austin at 5:30 am and got home at 8 PM. I spent half the day badgering people trying to make sure paperwork was done and my husband got his treatment. It's annoying to do but necessary if you want answers.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Pretty sure they exist. The first one may have been there before, I'm not sure. The one under the chin/in front of neck definitely is new, though. The first one has been there for 3 weeks, the other I just noticed yesterday.

    Perhaps I'm being paranoid, idk. These bumps seem to be in places where lymph nodes are and are about the size of a node (small). It concerns me that they're there, though. I don't get why they would be.
    Mac, please follow the advice you are getting here, either force your primary to see you this week, today preferred, or get into one of the local health care faculties or one we suggested, do not wait. As others have said (IF) it's anything the earlier you get on it the better. If it is nothing which is what I think is more likely, you will get a good nights sleep.
    An always remember you are not alone because, as you see, you have many friends. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we are here for you. Now get off your A$$ and go check it out. Let us know the out come of your follow up
    Last edited by fltflo; 07-17-2013 at 09:29 AM.

  6. #26
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    If you're primary is telling you to wait that long after discovering lumps in your neck and jaw, it's time to find a new primary. I'm not kidding, that's unconscionable.

    I'll chime in more a but later, but try to relax. You're not in this alone; WE ARE HAMPURITES!
    This +1000.

    McG, your primary has two sets of appointments - well visits and sick visits. If you didn't push it with the receptionist, she probably steered you towards the next well visit - not uncommon to be over a month out.

    Remember, you are your biggest advocate. When something is important, don't take no for an answer. And even though you are probably right and hopefully this is nothing, if you had a cancer scare and you now feel several lumps, that is sure as sh!t important and you need to be at the doctor today. Not in August, not next week, not tomorrow....Today.

    Don't get off the phone until she agrees to have the doctor see you today. Be polite, but firm. At the beginning of the call make sure you get her name. If necessary (after exhausting all avenues), let her know that you will reference her by name (in the letter you will be sending to the head of the practice/ombudsmen at the hospital) as the chief individual that refused to schedule an appointment with the doctor despite your heightened risk of having cancer.

    The appointments are there, you just need to ensure that she/he gives it to you. First be friendly and firm. Move on to escalating levels of persistence and apply some professional pressure, but never yell, lose your composure or curse.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,517
    Prayers and good thoughts for you!

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    7,266
    First.... good luck with everything and I hope it all turns out to be a non-issue.

    Second... I completely agree with the fact that you should not wait to get checked out. Don't ask to be seen sooner, tell them you want to be seen sooner.

  9. #29
    Ok, I'm gonna see about getting checked out tomorrow.

  10. #30
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    First, McG, so sorry to hear about your lumps.

    Second, I have to agree with all those above who said to find another doctor pronto. I had found a lump and called my doctor. With no history of lumps or anything like that, she wanted to see me that day (fortunately it was nothing). But waiting 2 weeks is ridiculous. You shouldn't put up with that.

    It doesn't mean that there is a problem with the lumps. It just means that reputable doctors will want to see you right away to rule things out, especially with your history of the ultrasound.

    Don't stress yourself out thinking of all the bad things. Just go somewhere else and find another doctor (or go to the places recommended by others) to get yourself checked.

    You have to be your own advocate in medical treatment.



    I, unfortunately, know this because we spent all day at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston yesterday. Left Austin at 5:30 am and got home at 8 PM. I spent half the day badgering people trying to make sure paperwork was done and my husband got his treatment. It's annoying to do but necessary if you want answers.
    Someone just mentioned MD Anderson the other day and I thought of you guys. "OH, MD Anderson.....This chick on my messageboard....yes the Jets....well her husband.....yes, there are girls on a Jets messageboard....so anyway, she's from Texas and her husband.....yes, there are Jet fans in TX apparently....well anyway, her husband is being treated there." That's how it would have gone, so I just stayed quiet.

    I hope everything is going well with your husband, LSL.

  11. #31
    Lol, I live in Houston, too.

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,163
    As others have advised, McG...Get your primary to authorize an Oncologist NOW or earlier. ACCEPT NOTHING ELSE or get yourself another primary who will see you NLT tomorrow

    OR walk into that Anderson Cancer center emergency department

    GET ER DONE

    We need your fat butt here at JI, my friend

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Someone just mentioned MD Anderson the other day and I thought of you guys. "OH, MD Anderson.....This chick on my messageboard....yes the Jets....well her husband.....yes, there are girls on a Jets messageboard....so anyway, she's from Texas and her husband.....yes, there are Jet fans in TX apparently....well anyway, her husband is being treated there." That's how it would have gone, so I just stayed quiet.

    I hope everything is going well with your husband, LSL.
    ROFL at the first part!!

    (My husband is a long-suffering Jets fan from upstate NY. We just happen to live in TX now.)

    It's not going too well with my husband right now, but that's another story for another day.

  14. #34
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TX via MA via CT
    Posts
    2,219
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Lol, I live in Houston, too.
    Ha! You have the #1 rated cancer center in the country in your backyard and you have to wait a month for an appointment with your primary.

    Take the good advice of all your internet friends and get an appt right away. It's important.

    Sending positive thoughts your way for good news!




    If I can brave morning rush hour on Katy Tollway and evening rush out of Houston during a massive thunderstorm with no visibility , then you can push your doctor diplomatically but firmly for an immediate app't.

  15. #35
    Soo, I can't get an appointment until August 23rd. What the hell.

  16. #36
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,281
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Soo, I can't get an appointment until August 23rd. What the hell.
    If you had an earache/rash/cough, you'd have to wait until Aug 23rd????

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If you had an earache/rash/cough, you'd have to wait until Aug 23rd????
    Apparently, there are no appointments available before then.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Soo, I can't get an appointment until August 23rd. What the hell.
    Get another doctor or just go to the doctors office and demand to be seen.

    i have been a little ill the last few weeks and i did that recently and it worked. just be nice but forceful.

    for me it helps to have a doctor wife who can get appointments sometimes as a favor. but other times i just am pushy about seeing them.

  19. #39
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wildcat Country
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by batman10023 View Post
    Get another doctor or just go to the doctors office and demand to be seen.

    i have been a little ill the last few weeks and i did that recently and it worked. just be nice but forceful.

    for me it helps to have a doctor wife who can get appointments sometimes as a favor. but other times i just am pushy about seeing them.
    Well then how about be a mensch and get McGinley an appointment with your wife?

  20. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,180
    They did rule out Lipoma? Which is something I have which are benign tumors that are rarely dangerous.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoma

    Good luck no matter what it is.
    Last edited by RevisCroWilson; 07-17-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us