Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancer update: lumps in neck/varius other parts

Cancer update: lumps in neck/varius other parts

Looks like I'm going back to the doctor in August for sure. Sigh.

Jets Insider VIP
    Un-frigging-believable!

Not for nothing, but what exactly did the sonogram see when they did your thyroid? Hard to believe that you have lumps in your neck that they missed on the sonography.

Like I said in the previous thread, don't go nuts looking up a ton of stuff on the web. Stay calm and do your due diligence in understanding and analyzing any medical advice/prognosis. Shoot me a PM if you'd rather talk in private.

Veteran
    Oof - very sorry to hear about your stress. Medical stuff is always hard to deal with - even just the process. I am sure there are a lot of folks here who sympathize.

Fwiw - my sister in law had lots of fast-growing lumps in her neck - one that had to be removed surgically - related to thyroid function (post baby) and also goiter(s) apparently. For her it was very stressful but since resolved. Wishing you the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Un-frigging-believable!

Not for nothing, but what exactly did the sonogram see when they did your thyroid? Hard to believe that you have lumps in your neck that they missed on the sonography.

Like I said in the previous thread, don't go nuts looking up a ton of stuff on the web. Stay calm and do your due diligence in understanding and analyzing any medical advice/prognosis. Shoot me a PM if you'd rather talk in private.
    They did the US on the thyroid and the doctor said everything was fine and that there were no masses. A few days later, I was touching the side of my neck (near the trapezius) and felt an odd lump with some inflammation around the area. It's been about 3 weeks and that lump is still there. No inflammation, and it's the same size/shape as before (small), but I don't get why it's there. Then, a few days ago, the area between the jaw and beneath my ear felt inflamed for seemingly no reason. That's gone away, but now I have a tender lump near the side of my throat, high up. Inside, on my inner gum, I've got a rather noticeable, hard lump fixed in place with another on near that's movable. A few others on various places (won't go into details, mainly for typing purposes). I feel relatively ok, but these lumps concern me. Some are hard, others soft. Idk.

It may probably be nothing, but I'm freaking out. I'm pretty much by myself in dealing with this aside from my mother (who seems to be basically ignoring any idea that I might be sick). Idk. I've got no one else and I'm driving myself insane. The soonest appointment I could get with my primary is in August, so I'm basically just trying to figure out how to not completely lose my mind until then. I just feel very much alone in this, and I'm not even sure what it'll matter should worse come to worse. It just seems like I'm painted into a corner and I'm being told I have to make a move. No matter what, it just seems like I can't win.

Thanks for the kind words, though, guys.
    Last edited by McGinley; 07-16-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Ugh, sorry man. My thoughts are with you. Good luck.

All Pro
    hang tough man....I know it's tough -

Hall Of Fame
    I am sure everything will be fine. I know it is hard but the worst thing you can do is stress over it. And as others have said, stay off the interwebz bc it will only make you more paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am sure everything will be fine. I know it is hard but the worst thing you can do is stress over it. And as others have said, stay off the interwebz bc it will only make you more paranoid.
    Haha, yeah, probably. I mean, I don't seem to have any other symptoms, but these lumps still concern me. I just don't know right now. And yes, WebMD telling people that their mild cough is cancer doesn't help anyone at all, lol.

Hall Of Fame
    Good luck man. Wish you the best.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Haha, yeah, probably. I mean, I don't seem to have any other symptoms, but these lumps still concern me. I just don't know right now. And yes, WebMD telling people that their mild cough is cancer doesn't help anyone at all, lol.
    I don't have cancer and it seems like every other day I'm discovering a new lump somewhere on my body, usually head or neck but other places too. They're cysts and can take days or even weeks to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    I don't have cancer and it seems like every other day I'm discovering a new lump somewhere on my body, usually head or neck but other places too. They're cysts and can take days or even weeks to go away.
    Also true. I'm hoping it's just something simple and benign. Perhaps the recent exams and tests just have me checking more than I used to. I'm trying to remind myself that the majority of these things are benign and not life-threatening.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    hang tough man....I know it's tough -
    Have you ever tried wiki leaks?

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Also true. I'm hoping it's just something simple and benign. Perhaps the recent exams and tests just have me checking more than I used to. I'm trying to remind myself that the majority of these things are benign and not life-threatening.
    Hang in there! Chanting for you, Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Hang in there! Chanting for you, Mac.
    Thanks, brother.

So lets get this straight 3 weeks ago you had a ultrasound done and were given the al clear. Now three weeks later you are feeling new lumps in your neck. You are sure you are not being paranoid and they do exist.
    You have relayed this information to you primary doc and they are telling you they will see you sometime in August?????

Listen if you do have new growths developing in a three week period (big if) then waiting till August is BS. Are you in the NY area, if so take your butt down to Columbia/Pres or Sloan Kettering go thru the emergency room if you have to and get that checked out. I am not trying to scare you and it could be absolutely nothing. Yet,either you have a bad case of hives or some other simple affliction that can be treated and you sent on your way.
    If its anything else then those two hospitals will know pretty damn quick. If your not in the Ny area then find the best damn hospital in your area and get it checked out,

Veteran
    Good luck bro.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you're primary is telling you to wait that long after discovering lumps in your neck and jaw, it's time to find a new primary. I'm not kidding, that's unconscionable.

I'll chime in more a but later, but try to relax. You're not in this alone; WE ARE HAMPURITES!

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    So lets get this straight 3 weeks ago you had a ultrasound done and were given the al clear. Now three weeks later you are feeling new lumps in your neck. You are sure you are not being paranoid and they do exist.
    You have relayed this information to you primary doc and they are telling you they will see you sometime in August?????

Listen if you do have new growths developing in a three week period (big if) then waiting till August is BS. Are you in the NY area, if so take your butt down to Columbia/Pres or Sloan Kettering go thru the emergency room if you have to and get that checked out. I am not trying to scare you and it could be absolutely nothing. Yet,either you have a bad case of hives or some other simple affliction that can be treated and you sent on your way.
    If its anything else then those two hospitals will know pretty damn quick. If your not in the Ny area then find the best damn hospital in your area and get it checked out,
    Pretty sure they exist. The first one may have been there before, I'm not sure. The one under the chin/in front of neck definitely is new, though. The first one has been there for 3 weeks, the other I just noticed yesterday.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, idk. These bumps seem to be in places where lymph nodes are and are about the size of a node (small). It concerns me that they're there, though. I don't get why they would be.

Hall Of Fame
    I concur with those that have suggested going to see a new doctor if for no other reason than not having two wait several weeks. I don't know where you live but I am sure there are multiple options available to you.

You have to be careful b.c you might be a victim of "seek and you shall find". You are understandably concerned about finding new lumps since your last ultrasound but perhaps your vigilance is getting the better of you. There is a fine line between being responsible by checking yourself and driving yourself nuts. Stress kills.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    If you're primary is telling you to wait that long after discovering lumps in your neck and jaw, it's time to find a new primary. I'm not kidding, that's unconscionable.

I'll chime in more a but later, but try to relax. You're not in this alone; WE ARE HAMPURITES!
    This man speaks the troof!

Best of luck McGinley. At least you have the Jets to distract you.

I see what I did there.