Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: The Draft: Pick 2 players per round?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Draft: Pick 2 players per round?

The purpose of having the worst teams pick first, and first in every round in the later rounds, is to create parity. It just seems that unless you have an elite QB you are never going to get into contention and stay there for awhile.

What does everyone think about having each team get two picks in the first three rounds and one pick in the fourth? Essentially the Superbowl winning team would not get a pick until what used to be the third round. The worst team in the league would be getting two firsts and two thirds. It seems like really bad teams would improve a whole lot faster not to mention how crazy the draft would be.

Mods, please don't move this to the draft forum. The last post there was about 6 weeks ago and I can't read about the murderer anymore.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    What does everyone think about having each team get two picks in the first three rounds and one pick in the fourth?

I'm against it ... There is some luck regarding when you're bad with what qb is avail ... But also some front office skill with targeting specific players

Also I believe there is some stat that at least 1 division has had a team go from worst to first every year for the last 10 or so years ... So I personally believe it is a matter of having the top of the line FO (as well as HC) making smart decisions ... And perhaps a little luck at QB with timing

Don't think your plan will fix what causes the problems

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1 player rarely changes a team.

I think there is enough parity in the NFL.

The Jets problem is not only players, it's coaching and the organization.

The #1 pick every year won't help if they don't straighten up and play together and hard and smart.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BX Jet Fan View Post
    The purpose of having the worst teams pick first, and first in every round in the later rounds, is to create parity. It just seems that unless you have an elite QB you are never going to get into contention and stay there for awhile.

What does everyone think about having each team get two picks in the first three rounds and one pick in the fourth? Essentially the Superbowl winning team would not get a pick until what used to be the third round. The worst team in the league would be getting two firsts and two thirds. It seems like really bad teams would improve a whole lot faster not to mention how crazy the draft would be.

Mods, please don't move this to the draft forum. The last post there was about 6 weeks ago and I can't read about the murderer anymore.
    The draft is already widely one sided from bad teams as they always pick the top of every round. It all revolves around having a good GM. If your GM sucks your team is going to suck there is just really no changing that. SB winning teams have just as much of a need to replace leaving players as everyone else. More so as even minor role players on SB team usually want to get paid more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I see the point you're making (in theory anyway), but the applied version of that wouldn't fly. Teams records can rise and fall on an injury. Or a coach. There's just way too much year-to-year to variance to set up bottom feeders with a litany of picks they'll have a hard to time signing extensions to in the future.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The draft is already heavily weighted towards losing teams. Your proposal is more like lets hurt teams that make the playoffs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Your proposal is more like lets hurt teams that make the playoffs.
    Spoken like a true Kraftonian .... However I agree that the the current system already favors losing teams enough.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Spoken like a true Kraftonian .... However I agree that the the current system already favors losing teams enough.
    Tru Dat! and I am sure all the 3-10 teams would put the backups in and screw the season. Heck fantasy football would suck too for the finals if teams were looking forward to next years draft