Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Woody's Half Measures Kill This Team

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,219
    every owner is involved in every major personnel decision....in every sport

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    every owner is involved in every major personnel decision....in every sport

    Every owner involved in every personnel decision? That couldn't be more false.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,323
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    I wouldn't have paid Revis that kind of $ either, but owners should never be involved with any personnel decisions.
    That was all about money. Revis forced this trade, and there was no GM at the time Woody made the decision. Idzik made the most of it.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,323
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I am actually optimistic about our chances this year if Geno starts. But I suspect Rex will be loyal to his guy regardless of the competition.

    That frustration led me to think about why we seem to always struggle and it dawned on me that the problems all flow back to Woody.

    Woody and the people that work for him can't make the big decision:

    Herm fails, but let's fire Hackett and suffer with Herm some more

    Bradway fails, let's put Tannenbaum as GM but keep Bradway as part of decision process

    Mangini and Tannenbaum fail, let's just fire Mangini

    Tannenbaum and Rex fail, let's just fire Tannenbaum

    Sanchez fails, let's develop more wildcat packages


    It's always the same, we can never make a clean break so we are always left with a remnant of the turd that got us into the situation we are in.

    If you bring in Idzik you have to fire Rex, if you keep Rex you keep Tannenbaum until you fire both.

    Rex and Idzik are at odds. A lame duck coach and a new GM is not a recipe for success because their priorities are not aligned. And we will see this play out all year.

    Woody needs to grow some and make complete decisions not these little half measures which only dooms the team to failure
    Rex isn't a lame duck coach. I know that hurts your feeling since you have a personal dislike of him, but he's probably the best coach, or on his way to becoming the best coach we've ever had. Rex got more wins out of the lousy players, and offensive coaches that he had then anyone could have hoped for. With a good GM, who's already fixed the coaching situation, and implemented a solid plan the sky's the limit. Especially as he gains experience. Feel free to jump off the wagon anytime though if you'd like.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    That was all about money. Revis forced this trade, and there was no GM at the time Woody made the decision. Idzik made the most of it.
    That's a fair point. I do think Woody was tired of Revis' act, especially what went down during the negotiations in the 'Hard Knocks' year. Like I said, I think he made the correct decision, but it's dangerous when these owners mix their personal feelings over a certain player with the business of running their team. I actually don't think Idzik wanted to pay him that kind of $ either. Rex probably did though, based on history.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Woody meddled in the Revis decision.
    If by telling his GM that he could trade Revis if a fair deal couldn't be worked out , then yes he meddled.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,219
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Every owner involved in every personnel decision? That couldn't be more false.
    absolutely true

    unless the owner is a really bad one like Leon Hess, for instance

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,323
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    That's a fair point. I do think Woody was tired of Revis' act, especially what went down during the negotiations in the 'Hard Knocks' year. Like I said, I think he made the correct decision, but it's dangerous when these owners mix their personal feelings over a certain player with the business of running their team. I actually don't think Idzik wanted to pay him that kind of $ either. Rex probably did though, based on history.
    This is why people don't like Rex, but it's short sighted, and unrealistic. He needs a GM to protect him from himself, but he's a great HC besides that. That's like divorcing your hot, smart, caring wife, because you don't like her fashion sense.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us