Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woody's Half Measures Kill This Team

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody's Half Measures Kill This Team

I am actually optimistic about our chances this year if Geno starts. But I suspect Rex will be loyal to his guy regardless of the competition.

That frustration led me to think about why we seem to always struggle and it dawned on me that the problems all flow back to Woody.

Woody and the people that work for him can't make the big decision:

Herm fails, but let's fire Hackett and suffer with Herm some more

Bradway fails, let's put Tannenbaum as GM but keep Bradway as part of decision process

Mangini and Tannenbaum fail, let's just fire Mangini

Tannenbaum and Rex fail, let's just fire Tannenbaum

Sanchez fails, let's develop more wildcat packages

It's always the same, we can never make a clean break so we are always left with a remnant of the turd that got us into the situation we are in.

If you bring in Idzik you have to fire Rex, if you keep Rex you keep Tannenbaum until you fire both.

Rex and Idzik are at odds. A lame duck coach and a new GM is not a recipe for success because their priorities are not aligned. And we will see this play out all year.

Woody needs to grow some and make complete decisions not these little half measures which only dooms the team to failure

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep, you certainly sound quite optimistic.... joe benigno optimistic

dump

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get more and more excited for this season with every thread I read.

J.E.T.S.....jets! Jets! Jets!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I am actually optimistic about our chances this year if Geno starts. But I suspect Rex will be loyal to his guy regardless of the competition.

That frustration led me to think about why we seem to always struggle and it dawned on me that the problems all flow back to Woody.

Woody and the people that work for him can't make the big decision:

Herm fails, but let's fire Hackett and suffer with Herm some more

Bradway fails, let's put Tannenbaum as GM but keep Bradway as part of decision process

Mangini and Tannenbaum fail, let's just fire Mangini

Tannenbaum and Rex fail, let's just fire Tannenbaum

Sanchez fails, let's develop more wildcat packages

It's always the same, we can never make a clean break so we are always left with a remnant of the turd that got us into the situation we are in.

If you bring in Idzik you have to fire Rex, if you keep Rex you keep Tannenbaum until you fire both.

Rex and Idzik are at odds. A lame duck coach and a new GM is not a recipe for success because their priorities are not aligned. And we will see this play out all year.

Woody needs to grow some and make complete decisions not these little half measures which only dooms the team to failure
    LOL...ok so basically you wanted Woody to fire the GM, HC and entire staff every 3 years if that regime didnt win a Super Bowl without regard for costs involved with firing staff with years remaining on their contracts????

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...ok so basically you wanted Woody to fire the GM, HC and entire staff every 3 years if that regime didnt win a Super Bowl without regard for costs involved with firing staff with years remaining on their contracts????
    Or the rebuild that comes with every coaching change and the inevitable swapping of players.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMFG.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You heard it here first,

Idzik extends Rex because he has come to the conclusion that Rex is really the best man for the job. Rex gets a real QB (insert any name but Sanchez) and the Jets become a dynasty. Rex takes the team to two Super Bowls, wins both and and 7 division titles in ten years. BSPN forever talking about the Jets Way and NY Jets become one of the most hated team in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All things considered Woody is a decent owner. Sure he has tried to win some back pages and sell some PSLs but he is willing to spend the money and that is all that matters really. Hopefully Idzik can talk some sense in to him the next time he wants to trade for a Tebow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's something to this half woody.

The worst was keeping Cavanaugh on for some strange reason, despite an otherwise unilateral offensive overhaul.

I don't think woody mandates these decisions directly though. It's just the self-protecting natural course of an organization with weak leadership. And Silver Spoon Johnson has never managed anything effectively in his life. J&J realized immediately he had no management propensity and banned him from the family business.

With a clearer organizational direction from the top, I'd think we'd see a lot less half complete decision making.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    All things considered Woody is a decent owner. Sure he has tried to win some back pages and sell some PSLs but he is willing to spend the money and that is all that matters really. Hopefully Idzik can talk some sense in to him the next time he wants to trade for a Tebow.
    This. The Jets have been a very competitive team once Woody took over. He has shown time and again he's willing to spend the money when his GM needs it. I know it's cooler to blame him for everything that goes wrong, such as the poster above claiming Woody was at fault for hanging on to Cavanaugh (you've gotta be kidding me), but the reality is he does not meddle in player decisions and opens his wallet when called upon. Many just hate him simply for the stadium and will no matter what else he does.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    NY Jets become one of the most hated team in the NFL.
    BECOME? ... we're not the Cowboys or Pats*... But the Jet hate already flows very strongly through much of the world.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaha...This

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I am saying if you are going to make a change, make a real change and give it time. Don't do it halfway like he did this year putting both Rex and Idzik in a bad spot. Either keep Rex and Tanny or hire Idzik and let him choose the coach

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No I am saying if you are going to make a change, make a real change and give it time. Don't do it halfway like he did this year putting both Rex and Idzik in a bad spot. Either keep Rex and Tanny or hire Idzik and let him choose the coach
    You contradict yourself. You say Woody should "give it time" but then in your original post suggested Woody should have fired guys who were in their job less than 5 seasons.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    This. The Jets have been a very competitive team once Woody took over. He has shown time and again he's willing to spend the money when his GM needs it. I know it's cooler to blame him for everything that goes wrong, such as the poster above claiming Woody was at fault for hanging on to Cavanaugh (you've gotta be kidding me), but the reality is he does not meddle in player decisions and opens his wallet when called upon. Many just hate him simply for the stadium and will no matter what else he does.
    Woody meddled in the Revis decision.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Woody meddled in the Revis decision.
    If so, then he should be congratulated for making the right decision. The Eagles gave Aso a 17 million dollar contract and after only two seasons released him. In Mevis' case only the first year is guaranteed so you can be as certain as the Sun rising in the AM that Sleeze and Feinslob will have him holding out for a big increase in his contract and huge guarantees next season at this time

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You contradict yourself. You say Woody should "give it time" but then in your original post suggested Woody should have fired guys who were in their job less than 5 seasons.
    So five is the minimum? Rex and Tanny were incompetent, they should have been both fired.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    There's something to this half woody.

The worst was keeping Cavanaugh on for some strange reason, despite an otherwise unilateral offensive overhaul.

I don't think woody mandates these decisions directly though. It's just the self-protecting natural course of an organization with weak leadership. And Silver Spoon Johnson has never managed anything effectively in his life. J&J realized immediately he had no management propensity and banned him from the family business.

With a clearer organizational direction from the top, I'd think we'd see a lot less half complete decision making.
    What have you organized? Built some of the finest University Hospitals? Run something along the lines of the Lupus foundation? Built a 1.5 Billion dollar stadium? 70 mil training facility? Bought a 635 mil dollar team?

No, you don't make things, you make sh1t up. Like the J&J nonsense.

Love the retarded idea that if you have money youre too stupid to have money.

Can't stand the morons who boo owners of every team they supposedly root for. Really, whats the joy of bashing someone for no apparent reason other than his dick is much, much bigger than yours....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody is exactly the kind of owner you want. A clueless rich guy that could mostly care less about the team but is willing to spend whatever the gm wants him to. Kind of like having a cool parent that lets you do anything you want when you're 17.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    If so, then he should be congratulated for making the right decision. The Eagles gave Aso a 17 million dollar contract and after only two seasons released him. In Mevis' case only the first year is guaranteed so you can be as certain as the Sun rising in the AM that Sleeze and Feinslob will have him holding out for a big increase in his contract and huge guarantees next season at this time
    I wouldn't have paid Revis that kind of $ either, but owners should never be involved with any personnel decisions.