Thread: Today's Example of "Whats Wrong With Government"

Today's Example of "Whats Wrong With Government"

Kennedys' sea turtle rescue violated federal law, officials say

Published July 17, 2013
    Associated Press

BARNSTABLE, Mass. Two members of the Kennedy family who thought they were doing a good deed by freeing an entangled sea turtle actually violated the law, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

John Bullard of NOAA's Division of Fisheries said he spoke to brothers Max and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. about their rescue of the leatherback turtle and explained to them that what they did was dangerous and a violation of the Endangered Species Act, which makes it illegal to handle an endangered or protected species.

The Kennedys freed the estimated 500-pound turtle from a buoy line wrapped around its head and fins on July 6 after they spotted it while out sailing on Nantucket Sound.

The brothers have been "cooperative and very helpful" as the agency gathers pictures, gear and other evidence involved in the rescue, Bullard told Cape Cod Times.

Turtle rescue is best left to professionals because of the danger involved, he said. Anyone who spots a distressed turtle should contact NOAA.

An untrained person runs the risk of getting tangled in the line and pulled under by a turtle, which can weigh up to 700 pounds and hold its breath a lot longer than a human, he said.

"You can get entangled, go under and it can turn into a tragedy," he said.

Only the Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies is certified to handle turtles.

The brothers have expressed regret.

"When we spotted a sea turtle in trouble over the 4th of July weekend, our first impulse was to do what we could to help free the animal," Robert Kennedy Jr. said in a statement on NOAA's website. "But we realize that the action we took was pretty risky, these are large, powerful animals."

He urged people who spot a turtle in danger to call NOAA, then stand by until rescuers arrive to help them locate the animal.

There have been 22 reported turtle entanglements in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New York waters this year, NOAA said, compared to eight during the same period last year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Do you think the potential penalty for what they did would be any different than if they caught, fileted and ate it?

I'm guessing it would be the same under the statute.

Hall Of Fame
    NO NO NO - this is perfect: Kennedy is in that enviro-terrorist organization Riverkeeper!

Awesome!

All Pro
    Hey, Winny, I'm in my boat and there's an 800 lb. hammerhead shark caught in a fishing net. Can you swim out and give me a hand? The hammerhead looks hungry, but I'm sure he'll forego consuming you since you're here to help.

Sincerely,
    Captain Leprechaun

P.S. He'd also like you to sign him up for an agricultural subsidy and food stamps. Separately, of course. He promises he'll only eat healthy stuff like fish and people.

Last edited by long island leprechaun; 07-17-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Hey, Winny, I'm in my boat and there's an 800 lb. hammerhead shark caught in a fishing net. Can you swim out and give me a hand? The hammerhead looks hungry, but I'm sure he'll forego consuming you since you're here to help.

Sincerely,
    Captain Leprechaun

Of course I won't help.

Do you think I want the Jackbooted Stormtroopers of the NOAA/EPA/ESA/LOLZSOMANYACROMNYMS coming after me for my ill considered indiviualist attempt to help some poor hurt endangers species?

I will happily call my local Party Office and let their Commissar attend to the needs of the creature as and when the State deems appropriate, surely after consultation with the Supreme Council on Animal Wellbeing for the Greater Good of One and All (SCoAWftGGoOaA) can hold their triannual "Rescue or noscue" meetings....in the Fall, I think the next one is scheduled.

All Glory To Our Leaders! Only they know the true path for me and all!

(Can someone help me, I think I just sprained both my tongue and my cheek on this one....)

Hall Of Fame
    The law makes sense.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Of course I won't help.

Do you think I want the Jackbooted Stormtroopers of the NOAA/EPA/ESA/LOLZSOMANYACROMNYMS coming after me for my ill considered indiviualist attempt to help some poor hurt endangers species?

I will happily call my local Party Office and let their Commissar attend to the needs of the creature as and when the State deems appropriate, surely after consultation with the Supreme Council on Animal Wellbeing for the Greater Good of One and All (SCoAWftGGoOaA) can hold their triannual "Rescue or noscue" meetings....in the Fall, I think the next one is scheduled.

All Glory To Our Leaders! Only they know the true path for me and all!

(Can someone help me, I think I just sprained both my tongue and my cheek on this one....)
    So you won't help. Uncharitable bast*rd. Mr. Shark said he hopes you get audited by the Cincinnati IRS.

Hall Of Fame
    Their uncle Ted knew the law. Turtle or woman, let 'em drown.

All League
    And this is why socialized medicine will never work...

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Stick some Kennedy's in the net.